Home
Posted By: atvalaska If a gun ad says.... - 12/02/21
clean used ,with honest handling....<<< whats that mean to you ?
Posted By: 303savage Re: If a gun ad says.... - 12/02/21
Means stocks gonna have use, dings dents, things as such, but not be abused. Guns been hunted, but cleaned and taken care of over the years.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: If a gun ad says.... - 12/02/21
Not a safe queen, a gun thats seen some field time but taken care of. No huge dents or chips in the wood, no pits or rust marks in the metal.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: If a gun ad says.... - 12/02/21
Another way to say it: you won't feel bad all day long if you bump into a fencepost or a rock and ding the stock.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: If a gun ad says.... - 12/02/21
Thanks men !
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: If a gun ad says.... - 12/02/21

Originally Posted by atvalaska
clean used ,with honest handling....<<< whats that mean to you ?

Prolly been bloodied a few times too . . .

Posted By: Bugger Re: If a gun ad says.... - 12/02/21
Clean - as in used cars. I don’t know, “Does it smell minty?”

I like minty.

If a seller says it’s clean, he might just be a used car salesman.
Posted By: Ken_L Re: If a gun ad says.... - 12/02/21
Look at the pictures closely and ask lots of questions.
Posted By: hanco Re: If a gun ad says.... - 12/02/21
It means it has had some field use.
Posted By: Windfall Re: If a gun ad says.... - 12/03/21
It's a proven rifle, so it is worth more. That was the line a friend heard at a gun show when the used gun on the table had a higher price than a new one.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: If a gun ad says.... - 12/03/21
It means I'm going to have to see it in hand, or at a minimum, a ton of pictures to determine what kind of shape it truly is in.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: If a gun ad says.... - 12/03/21
This is what I got ...449.00 all said and done... .. got it to go with my pc9 carbine ...uses same mags https://www.gunbroker.com/item/915130711?a=1
Posted By: navlav8r Re: If a gun ad says.... - 12/03/21
Look closely around the edges of the photos. Sometimes the seller will put a defect on the edge
A lot of times defects are shown at the end of a large number of photos.
Are the sights appropriate for the model?
Look closely at the trigger. Does the curve of trigger indicate it’s been changed?
Look at the muzzle. Are there any dings and/or a loss of a lot of blueing indicating it may have spent a lot of time muzzle down on a floor mat.

In the end, expect the worst and hope for the best.
Posted By: mart Re: If a gun ad says.... - 12/04/21
A lot like horse ads. Have to read between the lines. Good jumper potential = can’t keep him in a six foot fence. Needs experienced rider = can’t buck hard enough or long enough for the rodeo circuit but plenty long enough and hard enough for you. Good kids horse = mouth so hard even a kid can’t hurt it.

Like new in the box = looks good but shot so much it has six inches of free bore (throat erosion). Custom stock = Bubba got a hold of it and modified it with a hatchet. Vintage gun with patina= not a square inch of metal without rust.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: If a gun ad says.... - 12/04/21
Originally Posted by mart
A lot like horse ads. Have to read between the lines. Good jumper potential = can’t keep him in a six foot fence. Needs experienced rider = can’t buck hard enough or long enough for the rodeo circuit but plenty long enough and hard enough for you. Good kids horse = mouth so hard even a kid can’t hurt it.

Reminds me of Twain’s Mexican Plug:

http://www.online-literature.com/twain/roughing-it/25/

When I see “Honest Wear”, I think “Beat to Hell”, but maybe mechanically okay, maybe not. Tread carefully.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: If a gun ad says.... - 12/04/21
It means it looks like he dragged it to the stand behind a four wheeler, but it works right good!
Posted By: horse1 Re: If a gun ad says.... - 12/04/21
Originally Posted by Bugger
If a seller says it’s clean, he might just be a used car salesman.

"You call it High-Mileage, I say it's Proven Roadworthiness"..........
Posted By: reivertom Re: If a gun ad says.... - 12/04/21
It can mean several things according to how honest the seller is.
Posted By: czech1022 Re: If a gun ad says.... - 12/04/21
I also means the previous owner used it long enough to decide he didn't want it!

In other words, you'll see a few dents, dings and small scratches, but won't know anything else -good or bad - about it.
Posted By: sidepass Re: If a gun ad says.... - 12/07/21
Means i'd look elsewhere. Not interested in someone elses junk unless I'm looking for a project.
© 24hourcampfire