Home
I am a bit heavy in the 6.5 range and could use a 22-250. I have a stainless Remington 700 Mountain rifle in 6.5 Creed that I would consider rebarreling. I know essentially nothing about this. I'd definitely need a gunsmith to do this. If I do this, I'll twist it at eight or nine. Who makes a barrel in this taper? What other parts would be needed? Any gunsmith recommendations? I like the Bell and Carlson stock that it sits in.
Go with 8 twist so you can play with heavies. Edk
Some of the makers have the contour listed on their site. Just look at em and see what's offered.
Is this as simple as a rebarrel? Or will I need a new extractor, mag follower or anything else? If we have a good gunsmith on this site, I'd like to use a member of the 'fire family.
most likely just a barrel swap. Case head size is the same so extraction should be fine.
Cases are close enough that feeding should be good as well. May take a little tweaking to be perfect
Same case head size so no extractor or bolt face modifications should be required.
700's are very forgiving regarding minor case differences as are most push feed rifles. In fact, I seriously doubt Remington has any differences in the actions between these two cartridges. All you will need is a re-barrel. Many barrel manufacturer's will do all the work you'll need, including your choice of contours, twist rates, barrel length etc. You just send them your barreled action and they'll return to you the finished product.
There's a lot of barrel manufacturers out there. I've had good luck with ER Shaw in the last 20+ years or so (not so much many years ago though). Most other manufacturers are more expensive, and some will say well worth the extra cost, IDK.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Is this as simple as a rebarrel? Or will I need a new extractor, mag follower or anything else? If we have a good gunsmith on this site, I'd like to use a member of the 'fire family.

Most likely just a rebarrel. The 22-250 case has a bit of taper but I doubt that will hinder feeding so mag box and follower will likely be fine.
Paul just go 22 cm. šŸ‘

Shaen rifles, Shooter71 on here. You won't be disappointed.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Pulled up his website
I'm leery of businesses that don't have a phone number and address prominently displayed at top of page.
And I'm considering another build myself
Originally Posted by Judman
Paul just go 22 cm. šŸ‘

I am sitting on 22-250 dies and a couple hundred bucks worth of brass. Starting from scratch, the 22 Creed makes most sense.
Originally Posted by johnw

Pulled up his website
I'm leery of businesses that don't have a phone number and address prominently displayed at top of page.

I have uttered those words many times myself, and stick to them religiously with an unknown business. The word of mouth from a fellow 'fire member matters to me, even if it is that crotchety old Jack Mountain.
I have noted a goodly number of positive Shaen mentions on this site.

Pulled up his website

I have uttered those words many times myself, and stick to them religiously with an unknown business. The word of mouth from a fellow 'fire member matters to me, even if it is that crotchety old Jack Mountain.

I'd tend to agree, but there have been numerous incidents here where a guy started turning out excellent rifle work, only to fall on his ass for one reason or another. Calls and emails unanswered. Incommunicado for extended stretches. rifles unreturned and seemingly forgotten.
Having an address and phone number at the top of the page isn't a cure for everything, but it's the place to start.
FWIW, I have also read good things about Shaen Rifles.

Another guy I've heard good things about, but have no experience with
Pederson Precision
For what you're talking about doing, I'd likely just give it to Pac-Nor.

Or sell me the Remington and buy what you want...
Originally Posted by mathman

I just did a quick search of his posts. In a recent thread he said all Remington 700 are varying degrees of garbage. Right off the bat he has honesty working in his favor.

I just did a quick search of his posts. In a recent thread he said all Remington 700 are varying degrees of garbage. Right off the bat he has honesty working in his favor.

Sounds like a moron to me.
Just sell it and buy an 8 twist Tikka
^^^This might be the easiest solution--if you can find one.

Have had a T3x 1-8 .22-250 sporter for maybe 3 years now, which at the time came from a special run from Whittaker Guns of Owensboro, Kentucky. My wife has been using it at her pronghorn and deer rifle for a while now, and it works great with 70-grain Hornady GMXs--but also shoots great with lead-core varmint bullets in the 80-85 grain range.

Some have also mentioned Shaw barrels. I have had very good luck with their accuracy since Shaw (then E.R. Shaw) retooled around 20 years ago, and my latest is a 6mm-06 stainless barrel duplicating Remington sporter weight that I had installed on a 700 action in early 2020. Shaw installed it, lapping the lugs and squaring the face of the barrel, and it shoots several loads into 1/2" or less. They charge very affordable prices for their barrels and work--and offer 1-8 twist .224 barrels. (While they offer Remington-contour barrels in 3 different weights, they don't offer Mountain Rifle contours.)

Their standard available chamberings (no extra charge) include the .22-250, .22-250 AI and .22 Creedmoor. The last two are basically the same cartridge. As I pointed out in one of my early articles on the 6.5 Creedmoor that it's essentially the old RCBS wildcat, the 6.5/.250 Savage Improved. (That article was written so long ago that some people were worried about obtaining 6.5 Creedmoor brass if the round "failed commercially." I found it could be fireformed in one step with the Cream of Wheat method with .22-250 brass.)

This...Shaen is more than GTG. If anybody has any reservations about a contact number, Iā€™m sure heā€™d answer PMs here if you not too lazy to send one.

Simple barrel swap as stated. All the rest is the same. Go with at least an 8 twist no doubt...
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Have had a T3x 1-8 .22-250 sporter for maybe 3 years now, which at the time came from a special run from Whittaker Guns of Owensboro, Kentucky. My wife has been using it at her pronghorn and deer rifle for a while now, and it works great with 70-grain Hornady GMXs--but also shoots great with lead-core varmint bullets in the 80-85 grain range.

Some have also mentioned Shaw barrels. I have had very good luck with their accuracy since Shaw (then E.R. Shaw) retooled around 20 years ago, and my latest is a 6mm-06 stainless barrel duplicating Remington sporter weight that I had installed on a 700 action in early 2020. Shaw installed it, lapping the lugs and squaring the face of the barrel, and it shoots several loads into 1/2" or less. They charge very affordable prices for their barrels and work--and offer 1-8 twist .224 barrels. (While they offer Remington-contour barrels in 3 different weights, they don't offer Mountain Rifle contours.)

Their standard available chamberings (no extra charge) include the .22-250, .22-250 AI and .22 Creedmoor. The last two are basically the same cartridge. As I pointed out in one of my early articles on the 6.5 Creedmoor that it's essentially the old RCBS wildcat, the 6.5/.250 Savage Improved. (That article was written so long ago that some people were worried about obtaining 6.5 Creedmoor brass if the round "failed commercially." I found it could be fireformed in one step with the Cream of Wheat method with .22-250 brass.)

I think you are off by 30 grains with the varmint bullets
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Just sell it and buy an 8 twist Tikka

I would probably do that if I could find one in an 8 twist.
My 22-250AI is easily my most accurate rifle with 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips tiny one hole groups at 100meters. It has the standard Remington twist for 22-250 Remington. Itā€™s a standard Remington barrel thatā€™s been re-chambered on a 700 action.

If you want a fast 22 for varmints itā€™s a hard cartridge to improve on.

As far as actions Iā€™m pretty sure that the 700 is one of the best choices. Getting it blue-printed would eliminate flaws if any. Sending your barreled action to ER Shaw and have the work MD described will get you an assume rifle.
even if it is that crotchety old Jack Mountain.

Hey! He ain't old...

It's not very accurate as it is, that's one of the reasons I had considered making a project out of it.
That's how my 25-06 came to be...

Had a 30-06 with issues.
Thanks to Pac-Nor and Redneck it became my most used rifle.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
even if it is that crotchety old Jack Mountain.

Hey! He ain't old...

15?
Originally Posted by Bugger

As far as actions Iā€™m pretty sure that the 700 is one of the best choices. Getting it blue-printed would eliminate flaws if any. Sending your barreled action to ER Shaw and have the work MD described will get you an assume rifle.

Depends on what you expect out of an action and how much you plan on using it...but emotional attachment is hard to break.

There are a number of custom actions, even a couple factory actions, that easily do so much more than a standard or worked over 700 action. Youā€™ll easily wrap $500 up getting a 700 up to ā€œspeedā€ with some of those actions and youā€™re still way behind...

Prices off a local smithā€™s page:
Blueprinting/trueing action threads $200
Drill and taping for 8/40 base screws $100
Replacing stock 700 extractor with M16/Sako style $200

Call me a moron too but that still leaves you with an action you have to send in to a smith to get a barrel properly built and headspace every time, an external lug, and a bolt face specific action with a shoddy bolt release.

A Bighorn Origin (probably the most budget friendly custom action available ) is the same money as a polished up 700 and you have the benefits of CRF, pinned lug, a real extractor, real bolt release on the side of the action, fluted bolt, bolt heads that can be swapped out from 223/308/WSM and the ability to use any prefits on the market. Same as a Tikka action...

Nowadays I just call a reputable smith and have them build a barrel without sending my actions in and playing the waiting game. This ainā€™t 1985 anymore...grin..
22-250 will sometimes have a shorter mag box. I converted a 22-250 to 708 and had to drill out a couple of spot welds to get the mag box back to 2.80". Not sure how it will feed if in a sloppy mag
Originally Posted by 10at6

I think you are off by 30 grains with the varmint bullets

Berger's twist-rate formula shows a stability of 1.44 with the 85.5 grain LR Hybrid at 4000' above sea level, when started at 3000 fps.

Have shot a bunch of 80-85 grain lead-cores with various 1-8 twist .224s in various chamberings from .223 up, in various temperatures. So far they have all done well. So which way is my assessment of "varmint bullets off by 30 grains?"
Hart offers a Remington 700 MR contour.
If you get rid of a 6.5 CM, doesn't that mean you will become ineligible to continue wearing the spandex shorts?
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
If you get rid of a 6.5 CM, doesn't that mean you will become ineligible to continue wearing the spandex shorts?

I could be a spandex guy

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I am a bit heavy in the 6.5 range and could use a 22-250. I have a stainless Remington 700 Mountain rifle in 6.5 Creed that I would consider rebarreling. I know essentially nothing about this. I'd definitely need a gunsmith to do this. If I do this, I'll twist it at eight or nine. Who makes a barrel in this taper? What other parts would be needed? Any gunsmith recommendations? I like the Bell and Carlson stock that it sits in.

Lots of .22-250 takeoff barrels to be had, maybe not in the MR contour though.
Maybe run that 6.5 Creed out to PRC or something more exuberant for a LA build.

Me, Iā€™d rebarrel your 6.5 into a 6 Creed, and sell / trade the 22-250 stuff thatā€™s gathering dust.

Pulled up his website

Nothing to be leery about with him. Heā€™s a gunsmith, not a web designer. Shaen does good work and has put together rifles for myself and two of my brothers.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by 338Rules

Lots of .22-250 takeoff barrels to be had, maybe not in the MR contour though.
Maybe run that 6.5 Creed out to PRC or something more exuberant for a LA build.

Me, Iā€™d rebarrel your 6.5 into a 6 Creed, and sell / trade the 22-250 stuff thatā€™s gathering dust.

I've got a 6 Creed that is a real shooter. I also have a PRC that's a real shooter.
Whine about 700ā€™s then add a huge cock on the end of your snoutā€¦ šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Jesus Christ the elite ā€œoutdoorsman ā€œ are something else nowadaysā€¦
Originally Posted by Judman
Paul just go 22 cm. šŸ‘

That's about what I was thinking, unless you're sitting on a pile of Lapua brass.

It's not very accurate as it is, that's one of the reasons I had considered making a project out of it.

What??? A Creedmoor thatā€™s not very accurate? Oh, the agony!

FWIW, Creedmoorā€™s, spandex, and bicycles go together like toast and jam.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Most likely just a rebarrel. The 22-250 case has a bit of taper but I doubt that will hinder feeding so mag box and follower will likely be fine.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

You may possibly have to change out the follower but I'd consult a gunsmith on that and definitely try it before I switched it out.

Simple job...Ive done a few like it myself.....

Lol Paul got the only inaccurate creedmoor. No one is surprised.

Who was it that said it could be raining whores and he would get hit with a queer lol
I used to have that sort of luck but it appears to have moved on to someone else finally...
if you want a standard 22-250 just build it , i have a couple 22-250`s , they shoot very well , ammo and brass for a 22 -250 is easy to find also . good luck ,Pete53

Garbage that shoots under MOA with a good barrel.

Shilen 8 twist. Should keep you in the half inch range with no other work on the gun I'd bet. Bet it will feed etc... just fine.
Gee, I never realized this was such a complex deal.

What I have noticed over the decades is that most rifles feed the standard .22-250 very well, and a few don't. Often those that don't can be fixed with a little tweaking of the follower spring--but not always. But just about all usually feed ".250 Improved" cases well, include the .22 Creedmoor and the .22-250 AI.

Personally I would probably do a .22-250 AI, both because .22-250 brass is relatively cheap and inexpensive (at least in the "normal" times between political panic-buyings), and because .22-250 factory ammo (ditto on availability) can be used in a properly dimensioned AI chamber.
Gee, I never realized this was such a complex deal.

What I have noticed over the decades is that most rifles feed the standard .22-250 very well, and a few don't. Often those that don't can be fixed with a little tweaking of the follower spring--but not always. But just about all usually feed ".250 Improved" cases well, include the .22 Creedmoor and the .22-250 AI.

Personally I would probably do a .22-250 AI, both because .22-250 brass is relatively cheap and inexpensive (at least in the "normal" times between political panic-buyings), and because .22-250 factory ammo (ditto on availability) can be used in a properly dimensioned AI chamber.

Just curious, but why the 22-250AI? Better case life, less stretching/trimming, or more fps?
22 CM checks all the boxes
All the above, but less trimming is number one for me.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Lol Paul got the only inaccurate creedmoor. No one is surprised.

Who was it that said it could be raining whores and he would get hit with a queer lol

I missed that one, but lololololol
Thanks for the feedback gents. It sounds like a pretty straightforward process.
© 24hourcampfire