Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am a bit heavy in the 6.5 range and could use a 22-250. I have a stainless Remington 700 Mountain rifle in 6.5 Creed that I would consider rebarreling. I know essentially nothing about this. I'd definitely need a gunsmith to do this. If I do this, I'll twist it at eight or nine. Who makes a barrel in this taper? What other parts would be needed? Any gunsmith recommendations? I like the Bell and Carlson stock that it sits in.

GB1

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Go with 8 twist so you can play with heavies. Edk

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Some of the makers have the contour listed on their site. Just look at em and see what's offered.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is this as simple as a rebarrel? Or will I need a new extractor, mag follower or anything else? If we have a good gunsmith on this site, I'd like to use a member of the 'fire family.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
most likely just a barrel swap. Case head size is the same so extraction should be fine.
Cases are close enough that feeding should be good as well. May take a little tweaking to be perfect

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Same case head size so no extractor or bolt face modifications should be required.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
700's are very forgiving regarding minor case differences as are most push feed rifles. In fact, I seriously doubt Remington has any differences in the actions between these two cartridges. All you will need is a re-barrel. Many barrel manufacturer's will do all the work you'll need, including your choice of contours, twist rates, barrel length etc. You just send them your barreled action and they'll return to you the finished product.
There's a lot of barrel manufacturers out there. I've had good luck with ER Shaw in the last 20+ years or so (not so much many years ago though). Most other manufacturers are more expensive, and some will say well worth the extra cost, IDK.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Is this as simple as a rebarrel? Or will I need a new extractor, mag follower or anything else? If we have a good gunsmith on this site, I'd like to use a member of the 'fire family.

Most likely just a rebarrel. The 22-250 case has a bit of taper but I doubt that will hinder feeding so mag box and follower will likely be fine.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Paul just go 22 cm. 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Shaen rifles, Shooter71 on here. You won't be disappointed.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Pulled up his website
I'm leery of businesses that don't have a phone number and address prominently displayed at top of page.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And I'm considering another build myself

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Paul just go 22 cm. 👍

I am sitting on 22-250 dies and a couple hundred bucks worth of brass. Starting from scratch, the 22 Creed makes most sense.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw

Pulled up his website
I'm leery of businesses that don't have a phone number and address prominently displayed at top of page.

I have uttered those words many times myself, and stick to them religiously with an unknown business. The word of mouth from a fellow 'fire member matters to me, even if it is that crotchety old Jack Mountain.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have noted a goodly number of positive Shaen mentions on this site.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw

Pulled up his website

I have uttered those words many times myself, and stick to them religiously with an unknown business. The word of mouth from a fellow 'fire member matters to me, even if it is that crotchety old Jack Mountain.

I'd tend to agree, but there have been numerous incidents here where a guy started turning out excellent rifle work, only to fall on his ass for one reason or another. Calls and emails unanswered. Incommunicado for extended stretches. rifles unreturned and seemingly forgotten.
Having an address and phone number at the top of the page isn't a cure for everything, but it's the place to start.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, I have also read good things about Shaen Rifles.

Another guy I've heard good things about, but have no experience with
Pederson Precision

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For what you're talking about doing, I'd likely just give it to Pac-Nor.

Or sell me the Remington and buy what you want...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman

I just did a quick search of his posts. In a recent thread he said all Remington 700 are varying degrees of garbage. Right off the bat he has honesty working in his favor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman

I just did a quick search of his posts. In a recent thread he said all Remington 700 are varying degrees of garbage. Right off the bat he has honesty working in his favor.

Sounds like a moron to me.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.