Home
I’ve got a 280AI with a long throat for heavy bullets. Looking for a good load to shoot 160 grain partitions. When they are touching the lands the base of the bullet is seated to about half the depth of the shoulders which increases case capacity some. Any help would be appreciated, especially with powder recommendations. Thanks in advance.
I was using RL-23 with 168 grain VLD’s with good results.

Check this out:

https://forum.nosler.com/threads/rl23-in-the-280ai.31041/
Herschel,

Sorry, but haven't tried RL-23 in the .280 AI.

Did my last article on handloads for it a couple years ago, and per my usual research of all published data didn't find 23 among the leaders in velocity--which despite what many handloaders claim is still the major obsession.

In my tests Reloder 26, Ramshot Magnum and IMR7977 were the winners with 162-168 grain bullets, but that was 2-3 years ago when we could buy any powder.
I know it's not the projectile you referenced, but, a hunting buddy has received excellent accuracy results from 7828SSC/150TTSX @ 3000fps. There's probably 100fps left on the table so to speak, but, it shoots SO good there that he's settled on it.

That might be a good powder to try with the heavier projectiles you're considering is all I meant to say.
I've reposted this thread many times. Great starting point for me.

280AI with RL26
Check it against Nosler data (online) but I believe I was around 61 or 61.5 grains of 7828 with the 160 partition and 160 accubond.
Don’t be afraid to give Ramshot Magnum a try.
Originally Posted by Aviator

I tried Magnum in my latest .280 AI with 160s, and while it resulted in very good accuracy, it was also 100-150 fps slower in velocity than other powders. In fact it got basic .280 Remington velocities.
The powders that work best in mine with 160 NPs are H4831sc at 59 grains and R-26 at 61 grains.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Aviator

I tried Magnum in my latest .280 AI with 160s, and while it resulted in very good accuracy, it was also 100-150 fps slower in velocity than other powders. In fact it got basic .280 Remington velocities.

Did you use standard or magnum primers?
Magnum primers, of course.

The problem was not being able to get enough Magnum in the case to reach optimum velocity with that bullet weight.
I used the Nosler data on 120's / Rl17, this may be load of interest later down the road.. I really think it's my most accurate load. FYI
280 ai / 150 NAB / H4831.

https://imgur.com/TQaGyhi
Magnum primers, of course.

The problem was not being able to get enough Magnum in the case to reach optimum velocity with that bullet weight.

What kind of velocity were you trying to get? I’ve got a long throat so should have enough case volume to hopefully get me there. I can easily fit 65.0 of RS Magnum. Western’s published data goes to 68.0 grains with the 7mm RSAUM. I’m thinking somewhere around 2950, but just want to make sure I’m in the ballpark. Noslers data has always seemed a bit hot for the 280AI.
I've had good luck with 150 gr Accubonds over a stout load of Vihtavuori N560.
Mine likes h1000 with 168g ablrs. The h1000 gives a good full density without being so full that the soft 168s deform when seating. Accuracy was great once I found the right setting depth. Speed was 2880 from a 24" Ridgeline. You could probably get a bit more with a 160.

Bb
Herschel,

Sorry, but haven't tried RL-23 in the .280 AI.

Did my last article on handloads for it a couple years ago, and per my usual research of all published data didn't find 23 among the leaders in velocity--which despite what many handloaders claim is still the major obsession.

In my tests Reloder 26, Ramshot Magnum and IMR7977 were the winners with 162-168 grain bullets, but that was 2-3 years ago when we could buy any powder.

Is the component shortage causing you issues for the articles you are working on? I’ve been wondering about that for a while.
hanco,

A little, but not much. Stocked up considerably after the previous "shortages." so have a variety of powders, bullets and primers on hand.

In a way, I don't want to call them shortages, but buying panics. Like all the previous ones, they're caused by shooters buying everything they can find, whether for themselves or to resell. As before, manufacturers are cranking out all they can, but shooters are buying it all up as soon as it appears, whether in stores or on the Internet.

As evidence of this, there are also a LOT of handloaders in Europe, and none I know have any problem buying components, because there hasn't been the poltically-based panic over potential availability problems. Of course, many Americans might not believe this because they think ALL European countries have extreme anti-gun laws--which is NOT true. Hunted with a French gun writer in Finland a few years ago, who not only owns around 50 centerfire rifles (including an AR-15) but a bunch of handguns, including semi-autos. Can provide many other examples.

In other words, the present "shortage" is our own fault.
hanco,

A little, but not much. Stocked up considerably after the previous "shortages." so have a variety of powders, bullets and primers on hand.

In a way, I don't want to call them shortages, but buying panics. Like all the previous ones, they're caused by shooters buying everything they can find, whether for themselves or to resell. As before, manufacturers are cranking out all they can, but shooters are buying it all up as soon as it appears, whether in stores or on the Internet.

As evidence of this, there are also a LOT of handloaders in Europe, and none I know have any problem buying components, because there hasn't been the poltically-based panic over potential availability problems. Of course, many Americans might not believe this because they think ALL European countries have extreme anti-gun laws--which is NOT true. Hunted with a French gun writer in Finland a few years ago, who not only owns around 50 centerfire rifles (including an AR-15) but a bunch of handguns, including semi-autos. Can provide many other examples.

Thanks for posting this ^ ^ ^
Especially the last sentence.

During the big 22 LR " shortage ", I saw the people in
line waiting for the doors to open, the gun counter
people selling to their "friends " , etc. etc.
and would relate that to others, and got called the
worst of a liar and way worse.
I guess it's easier to accept that a secret gubmint
agency was filling up clandestine warehouses with
rim fire ammunition
I never did get to get any of those hundreds of
22 LR firearms that everybody swore they were
throwing away

Edit- I meant to add that those I saw paying $80.00
for a $30.00 wally world brick of promo 22 were as
much of the problem as anything else
hanco,

Exactly, Viht powders, Lapua brass and bullets are all good and available.

Past supply issues has prompted me to keep ~ 2 years of supply on hand.
Ranger99,

Back during the Obama rimfire "shortage" a posted on the Campfire boasted that when any local store got a shipment, he'd go there with various "disguises" in his pickup. He'd go in and buy whatever the store's allowed limit was, then go back out to his pickup and change hat and shirt, put on a hat, and maybe a pair of sunglass, then go back in and buy some more.
Ranger99,

Back during the Obama rimfire "shortage" a posted on the Campfire boasted that when any local store got a shipment, he'd go there with various "disguises" in his pickup. He'd go in and buy whatever the store's allowed limit was, then go back out to his pickup and change hat and shirt, put on a hat, and maybe a pair of sunglass, then go back in and buy some more.

Well sir, I don't doubt that at all because I saw the
same kind of thing myself.
I'd tell a coworker or an acquaintance. Some would
just shake their head, but more than I expected
would call me a lying blankety blanker and so on. .
So many wanted to believe the secret-Indiana-Jones-
warehouse where they were stacking all the 22 LR
ammunition from all over the USA, presumably adjacent
to the ark of the covenant
Never did see any of those 22 firearms that everybody
declared that they would throw away. IMO I think
the people leaving the country after the 2016 election
each carried a dozen or so apiece with them
I’m guilty, have bought supplies I’ll never use up, because I’m afraid I’ll run out, can’t get more.
I am shooting the 175 Eld x with 57.0g of IMR 7828, Fed 210(other primers blow the group) seals the deal in fire formed Lapua '06 brass, bullets all touch at 100 yards. Nosler 175g LRAB shoot very tiny groups .010 off the lands, sort by ogive lengths.

Lapua brass is very tough brass, not to mention the quality. It is worth your time and effort to form some 280 brass out of the Lapua '06 brass. You will shoot the barrel out with 100 rounds of brass.
280AI..28" Bartlein barrel 140 Nos Accu Bond moly 3.34" 56.2 gr IMR4166
Quickload predicts: 66 kpsi 3214 fps
chrono measures: 3252, 3197 fps

7mmRM... 140 gr Accubond 3.34" 65.1 gr IMR-4451
QL 24" barrel 72.2 kpsi 3265 fps
chronograph:

7mmRM and 280AI are close.
t a gun show a dealer friend saw boxes of 22 shells go for $100 each. 410 shells for much higher I think he said $150 per box. This was right after our commander in chief took office, talk about panic.
One guy was pissed because the dealer sold him his last box of 22 shells at $100. The guy was sure the dealer had more under the table and he wanted it all.
Originally Posted by keith
I am shooting the 175 Eld x with 57.0g of IMR 7828, Fed 210(other primers blow the group) seals the deal in fire formed Lapua '06 brass, bullets all touch at 100 yards. Nosler 175g LRAB shoot very tiny groups .010 off the lands, sort by ogive lengths.

Lapua brass is very tough brass, not to mention the quality. It is worth your time and effort to form some 280 brass out of the Lapua '06 brass. You will shoot the barrel out with 100 rounds of brass.

How much shorter than spec does that Lapua brass end up being after forming to 280 AI ?
My 280AI likes RE26 and 162 grain interlocks. That load could probably work well on most game I’ll be likely to shoot.
My 280 also likes the 162 grain interlocks, though I have not played with that rifle for some time - I used 53 grains IMR4350 in that rifle.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/185246.jpeg

That group was shot at 100 meters. I didn’t have a range finder at that time and stepped off 100 paces.
Originally Posted by Bugger
My 280AI likes RE26 and 162 grain interlocks. That load could probably work well on most game I’ll be likely to shoot.
My 280 also likes the 162 grain interlocks, though I have not played with that rifle for some time - I used 53 grains IMR4350 in that rifle.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/185246.jpeg

That group was shot at 100 meters. I didn’t have a range finder at that time and stepped off 100 paces.

B: Do you have Long Legs ? Target says 100 yards / .21” , metric would make that ~1.9” @ 100 yards

In any case that’s more than sufficient accuracy to punch out to AI, Does it have any throat left ?

My Fwt Classic stacks them like that sometimes, but seldom more than 3, and less so in a breeze.

In any case, Thanks for sharing your loads. Interesting how the AI likes the slower powders, while the standard thrives on a little quicker burn rate.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Quickload predicts: 66 kpsi 3214 fps
chrono measures: 3252, 3197 fps

7mmRM... 140 gr Accubond 3.34" 65.1 gr IMR-4451
QL 24" barrel 72.2 kpsi 3265 fps
chronograph:

7mmRM and 280AI are close.

28" barrel VS 24" barrel. Mmmm!
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by Clarkm