Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I’ve got a 280AI with a long throat for heavy bullets. Looking for a good load to shoot 160 grain partitions. When they are touching the lands the base of the bullet is seated to about half the depth of the shoulders which increases case capacity some. Any help would be appreciated, especially with powder recommendations. Thanks in advance.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I was using RL-23 with 168 grain VLD’s with good results.

Check this out:

https://forum.nosler.com/threads/rl23-in-the-280ai.31041/

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Herschel,

Sorry, but haven't tried RL-23 in the .280 AI.

Did my last article on handloads for it a couple years ago, and per my usual research of all published data didn't find 23 among the leaders in velocity--which despite what many handloaders claim is still the major obsession.

In my tests Reloder 26, Ramshot Magnum and IMR7977 were the winners with 162-168 grain bullets, but that was 2-3 years ago when we could buy any powder.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I know it's not the projectile you referenced, but, a hunting buddy has received excellent accuracy results from 7828SSC/150TTSX @ 3000fps. There's probably 100fps left on the table so to speak, but, it shoots SO good there that he's settled on it.

That might be a good powder to try with the heavier projectiles you're considering is all I meant to say.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've reposted this thread many times. Great starting point for me.

280AI with RL26

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Check it against Nosler data (online) but I believe I was around 61 or 61.5 grains of 7828 with the 160 partition and 160 accubond.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Don’t be afraid to give Ramshot Magnum a try.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Aviator

I tried Magnum in my latest .280 AI with 160s, and while it resulted in very good accuracy, it was also 100-150 fps slower in velocity than other powders. In fact it got basic .280 Remington velocities.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The powders that work best in mine with 160 NPs are H4831sc at 59 grains and R-26 at 61 grains.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Aviator

I tried Magnum in my latest .280 AI with 160s, and while it resulted in very good accuracy, it was also 100-150 fps slower in velocity than other powders. In fact it got basic .280 Remington velocities.

Did you use standard or magnum primers?

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Magnum primers, of course.

The problem was not being able to get enough Magnum in the case to reach optimum velocity with that bullet weight.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I used the Nosler data on 120's / Rl17, this may be load of interest later down the road.. I really think it's my most accurate load. FYI

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
280 ai / 150 NAB / H4831.

https://imgur.com/TQaGyhi

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Magnum primers, of course.

The problem was not being able to get enough Magnum in the case to reach optimum velocity with that bullet weight.

What kind of velocity were you trying to get? I’ve got a long throat so should have enough case volume to hopefully get me there. I can easily fit 65.0 of RS Magnum. Western’s published data goes to 68.0 grains with the 7mm RSAUM. I’m thinking somewhere around 2950, but just want to make sure I’m in the ballpark. Noslers data has always seemed a bit hot for the 280AI.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've had good luck with 150 gr Accubonds over a stout load of Vihtavuori N560.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mine likes h1000 with 168g ablrs. The h1000 gives a good full density without being so full that the soft 168s deform when seating. Accuracy was great once I found the right setting depth. Speed was 2880 from a 24" Ridgeline. You could probably get a bit more with a 160.

Bb

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Herschel,

Sorry, but haven't tried RL-23 in the .280 AI.

Did my last article on handloads for it a couple years ago, and per my usual research of all published data didn't find 23 among the leaders in velocity--which despite what many handloaders claim is still the major obsession.

In my tests Reloder 26, Ramshot Magnum and IMR7977 were the winners with 162-168 grain bullets, but that was 2-3 years ago when we could buy any powder.

Is the component shortage causing you issues for the articles you are working on? I’ve been wondering about that for a while.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
hanco,

A little, but not much. Stocked up considerably after the previous "shortages." so have a variety of powders, bullets and primers on hand.

In a way, I don't want to call them shortages, but buying panics. Like all the previous ones, they're caused by shooters buying everything they can find, whether for themselves or to resell. As before, manufacturers are cranking out all they can, but shooters are buying it all up as soon as it appears, whether in stores or on the Internet.

As evidence of this, there are also a LOT of handloaders in Europe, and none I know have any problem buying components, because there hasn't been the poltically-based panic over potential availability problems. Of course, many Americans might not believe this because they think ALL European countries have extreme anti-gun laws--which is NOT true. Hunted with a French gun writer in Finland a few years ago, who not only owns around 50 centerfire rifles (including an AR-15) but a bunch of handguns, including semi-autos. Can provide many other examples.

In other words, the present "shortage" is our own fault.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
hanco,

A little, but not much. Stocked up considerably after the previous "shortages." so have a variety of powders, bullets and primers on hand.

In a way, I don't want to call them shortages, but buying panics. Like all the previous ones, they're caused by shooters buying everything they can find, whether for themselves or to resell. As before, manufacturers are cranking out all they can, but shooters are buying it all up as soon as it appears, whether in stores or on the Internet.

As evidence of this, there are also a LOT of handloaders in Europe, and none I know have any problem buying components, because there hasn't been the poltically-based panic over potential availability problems. Of course, many Americans might not believe this because they think ALL European countries have extreme anti-gun laws--which is NOT true. Hunted with a French gun writer in Finland a few years ago, who not only owns around 50 centerfire rifles (including an AR-15) but a bunch of handguns, including semi-autos. Can provide many other examples.

Thanks for posting this ^ ^ ^
Especially the last sentence.

During the big 22 LR " shortage ", I saw the people in
line waiting for the doors to open, the gun counter
people selling to their "friends " , etc. etc.
and would relate that to others, and got called the
worst of a liar and way worse.
I guess it's easier to accept that a secret gubmint
agency was filling up clandestine warehouses with
rim fire ammunition
I never did get to get any of those hundreds of
22 LR firearms that everybody swore they were
throwing away

Edit- I meant to add that those I saw paying $80.00
for a $30.00 wally world brick of promo 22 were as
much of the problem as anything else

Last edited by Ranger99; 02/04/22.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
hanco,

Exactly, Viht powders, Lapua brass and bullets are all good and available.

Past supply issues has prompted me to keep ~ 2 years of supply on hand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,831 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,967
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.