Home
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Bag Lube? - 03/17/22
Anyone here apply some sort of lube to their bag? Specifically, the front bag on whatever type of rest you use.

For example, a narrow Protektor or Caldwell with the leather material where the rifle stock rests.

My plastic stocked rifles don't slip freely on this material. I have used baby powder in the past, messy.

I'm considering using a silicone grease. Or KY would draw interesting comments from fellow shooters I suppose. Good for a grin though.

I do wipe my bag and fore stock with cloth before shooting, but there is still "stiction" where stock will not slide freely.

Thoughts?
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Bag Lube? - 03/17/22
I guess I would try a piece of wax paper or parchment paper before I'd get into greases, lubes or powders. Probably work and no clean-up to speak of, other than wad it up and throw it in the trash at the range.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Bag Lube? - 03/17/22
Must...not...make...joke...
Posted By: bluefish Re: Bag Lube? - 03/17/22
Beat me to it.
Posted By: x2mosg Re: Bag Lube? - 03/17/22
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Must...not...make...joke...

Glad it's not just me.
Posted By: EddieSouthgate Re: Bag Lube? - 03/17/22
Whew !! I thought this was gonna be XXX for sure . Try a piece of nylon material , it's slippery without being messy .
Posted By: bwinters Re: Bag Lube? - 03/17/22
Not what I thought I was going to see.

There is a big difference between rubbing lotion on your bag and rubbing your bag with lotion.......

Couldn't resist.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Bag Lube? - 03/17/22
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Anyone here apply some sort of lube to their bag? Specifically, the front bag on whatever type of rest you use.

For example, a narrow Protektor or Caldwell with the leather material where the rifle stock rests.

My plastic stocked rifles don't slip freely on this material. I have used baby powder in the past, messy.

I'm considering using a silicone grease. Or KY would draw interesting comments from fellow shooters I suppose. Good for a grin though.

I do wipe my bag and fore stock with cloth before shooting, but there is still "stiction" where stock will not slide freely.

Thoughts?

Can’t deal with baby powder but gots the stickies?
They sell Teflon tape that goes on the forearm. How it comes off, don’t know as I have only seen it on BR rifles.
In your case I think this is the easiest solution.

https://protektormodel.com/products/1-small-owl-ear-front-bag?variant=16199985070170

They work.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Bag Lube? - 03/17/22
Originally Posted by cra1948
I guess I would try a piece of wax paper or parchment paper before I'd get into greases, lubes or powders. Probably work and no clean-up to speak of, other than wad it up and throw it in the trash at the range.

Might be a solution cra1948. Or a thin cloth. I recall Jb saying he'll sometimes lay a towel over bag to make surface a bit softer as I recall.

Otherwise, there's lots of opportunity for this thread to be sort of entertaining?

Here's some comments from the br folks I found via google:

Secret women's spray deodorant with powder works well if you can still find it. Would jock itch powder work too?

Sinclair bag wax, works no matter what the humidity is

https://shop.kgcoatings.com/kg/product/kg-9-micro-ptfe-leatherkote/

Bacon grease
Posted By: GeoW Re: Bag Lube? - 03/17/22
Apply Teflon tape to bag?
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Bag Lube? - 03/17/22
Thanks swifty, the slick silver might be worth a look.

Since I been seeing all the class action lawyer 3rd world tv ads about women using baby powder (talc) and getting vageeny cancer I don't want to risk me using baby powder on the front bag and getting cancer.

Ideal is a substance I can apply with a swab on the bag and have it stay moist during my shooting session. Then wipe off after done.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Bag Lube? - 03/17/22
Back in the day the old benchresters used to use Motor Mica which was not messy...nowadays I think you can go to the hardware and next to the graphite lock lube, there is usually some 'white graphite'. I use spray silicone, not as good, but no mess at all. I see various outfits selling sandbags with grippy black rubber on them...wtf? isn't that the opposite of what is needed?
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Bag Lube? - 03/17/22
Originally Posted by GeoW
Apply Teflon tape to bag?

No, the stock.

Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Thanks swifty, the slick silver might be worth a look.

Since I been seeing all the class action lawyer 3rd world tv ads about women using baby powder (talc) and getting vageeny cancer I don't want to risk me using baby powder on the front bag and getting cancer.

Ideal is a substance I can apply with a swab on the bag and have it stay moist during my shooting session. Then wipe off after done.

Leather doesn’t really work that way, most of my front bags are so old they are naturally slick. Gave you the easiest solution since you don’t like baby powder which takes away moisture and makes the bag slicker, but you want to do the reverse by adding moisture that won’t soak into the leather.

Carry on. Rabbit hole not leading to wonderland forthcoming.
Posted By: 2sticks Re: Bag Lube? - 03/17/22
I place two playing cards under my rifle stock on the front bag. Seems to work for me.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Bag Lube? - 03/18/22
I'd just use my "wild rag" - a cowboy's neckerchief, often made of silk or a silk blend.
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Bag Lube? - 03/18/22
Dryer sheets rubbed on the bags is pretty common. You definitely don't want any sort of oily lube. I normally use baby powder on the rear bag but in high humidity it can get sticky....then I switch to something else even with stock tape on the BR guns. The best stock tape is PTFE which is normally tan in color. I have some clear PTFE tape from an industrial application but it's very hard to get.

Good shootin' -Al
Posted By: pullit Re: Bag Lube? - 03/18/22
I want to find some of the stuff that Clark Griswold used on the bottom of the disk Christmas Vacation.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bag Lube? - 03/18/22
100% Neatsfoot oil the hell out of everything, good stuff.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Bag Lube? - 03/18/22
Originally Posted by gunner500
100% Neatsfoot oil the hell out of everything, good stuff.

Neets soaks in and can plug the pores of the leather causing the bag to dry up, causing cracking and turn the leather to dust. Also is known to attract and hold dust and grime. Also known to rot away some stitching as it’s acidic.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Bag Lube? - 03/18/22
Originally Posted by pullit
I want to find some of the stuff that Clark Griswold used on the bottom of the disk Christmas Vacation.

You'd lean into your rifle and sling yourself right off the front of your bench. Yikes.
Posted By: pullit Re: Bag Lube? - 03/18/22
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

You'd lean into your rifle and sling yourself right off the front of your bench. Yikes.

LOL, at least it would be a show for sure.....
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Bag Lube? - 03/18/22
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

LOL, at least it would be a show for sure.....

And, it would go down as one of the greatest posts ever in one of those "What I Saw at the Range" threads.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Bag Lube? - 03/18/22
Baby powder sucks donkey balls in damp weather. Superglue would be a better lube...

At one time Sinclair sold powdered carnuaba wax which was excellent but I noticed they don't carry it anymore. Good thing I bought a couple of bottles.

Swifty had a good suggestion with the Protektor bag. I've never shot the silver bag, they do make a Cordova variation. That coupled with sailkote spray is slicker than pig snot. I've used sailkote on leather bags without any issues.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Bag Lube? - 03/18/22
Thanks for all the suggestions gents!

I'm going to experiment using the following suggestions:

1) rub down the front and rear bag, plastic fore stock, with clothes dryer sheets (thanks Al)

2) Buy the SailKote spray and apply to front and rear bags, plastic fore stock (thanks AJ) https://www.westmarine.com/buy/mclube--sailkote-high-performance-dry-lubricant-8-oz--17757741 I need to go to local boat place to get some Marine-Tex to bed a project gun (is in stock) and maybe they have the SailKote also.

3) alternative: wax paper, poker cards, thin cloth sprayed w/silicone waterproof product I have on hand. My intention is to avoid solutions that ad an additional item needed to put on bag and have wind blow off if I lift gun and so forth. (thanks gents)

Abandon: KY jelly as it's weird and as suggested wet lubes probably not a good method for reasons cited above.

I might invest in that Protektor silver skin bag. I'll start with the front and rear bags on hand.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Bag Lube? - 03/18/22
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Baby powder sucks donkey balls in damp weather. Superglue would be a better lube...

At one time Sinclair sold powdered carnuaba wax which was excellent but I noticed they don't carry it anymore. Good thing I bought a couple of bottles.

Swifty had a good suggestion with the Protektor bag. I've never shot the silver bag, they do make a Cordova variation. That coupled with sailkote spray is slicker than pig snot. I've used sailkote on leather bags without any issues.

That slick silver is a 3M slick cloth. It doesn’t need any additional product. I used a variation of that for 25+ years on seal bars for shrink wrap packaging machines. It PTFE impregnated, stands up to a 410 degree hot knife pressed against it getting cycled 2000 times in 8 hrs for about 3-4 weeks. Nothing sticks to it.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Bag Lube? - 03/18/22
I used to keep a piece of heavy vacuum bag- evidence bag. I would place it on the bag first
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Bag Lube? - 03/18/22
Originally Posted by Swifty52

That slick silver is a 3M slick cloth. It doesn’t need any additional product. I used a variation of that for 25+ years on seal bars for shrink wrap packaging machines. It PTFE impregnated, stands up to a 410 degree hot knife pressed against it getting cycled 2000 times in 8 hrs for about 3-4 weeks. Nothing sticks to it.

👌
The bag sounds interesting. If they ever start running BR matches around here again I'd be thinking about picking one up and trying it out.
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Bag Lube? - 03/18/22
The powdered wax used on treadmill belts works very well on bags. -Al
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Bag Lube? - 03/19/22
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
The powdered wax used on treadmill belts works very well on bags. -Al

Mostly ground up paraffin.
© 24hourcampfire