Home
Posted By: Godogs57 Latest primer rumor - 08/10/22
Checking in with my lgs today regarding any new shipments of primers. I received the obvious answer, as expected, but was told that Fiochi is now making primers “over there” for both Winchester and Federal. They are packaged in Winchester or Federal boxes to match the original manufacturer. The overseas shipping is what’s causing delays.

?

I find that awfully hard to believe.

What does the 24 HR Illuminati say?
Posted By: chamois Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/10/22
In Europe I had never ever seen a Fiocchi primer, and suddenly they are available everywhere here.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/10/22
chamois;
Good evening - I think I got that time right? - I hope the day behaved itself well enough for you and you're in fine health.

We occasionally would see primers from Russia and China here in Canada. I want to say the Chinese ones were in a fairly bright yellow carton with a red star?

There are Sellier & Bellot primers for sale here for sure, but I've not seen them in the local store - though to be honest I should ask them as I'd like to try some. As an aside I've had very good success with Sellier & Bellot .22 ammo and a shooting buddy has picked up 8x57 as well as .243 ammo that seems just fine as well.

If I'd see Fiocchi primers I'd be just as happy to try some, again based on shooting a few different types of Fiocchi .22 ammo and I want to say some 12 gauge slugs that were the right price and all went bang when asked.

Perhaps some of the shortages will open the doors for some of the other makers into the North American market? We'll see, but it's always interesting to try new stuff.

Oh, last thought on this would be way back in the day I went through a carton of RWS primers that were likely from the '60's buddy thought when I bought them from him. Mainly they went into an '06 BBR that I was shooting a fair bit at the time and again they seemed fine to me.

All the best and have a good rest of the evening.

Dwayne
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/10/22
Don't know about the primers, but I'm picking up GFL (Giulio Fiocchi Lecco) headstamped .308 and '06 brass at the range. Never seen it before.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/10/22
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Don't know about the primers, but I'm picking up GFL (Giulio Fiocchi Lecco) headstamped .308 and '06 brass at the range. Never seen it before.

Fiocchi is doing their part guys. I say kudos to them, as they were putting out some good ammo at decent prices when other manufactures were dropping the ball. I'd have no qualms at all about buying Fiocchi primers. Just sayin.. If these other stupid fu cks can't put out, then I'm going with someone else..
Posted By: Labman95 Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/10/22
I just split a sleeve of 5,000 Cheddite 209 primers with a buddy. Total cost for the sleeve with shipping, hazmat and sales tax was $348. Ouch.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/10/22
I doubt CCI is being made by Fiochi. Vista is a big ammo producer and I know they have always made their own primers.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/10/22
I’m shooting the Hell outa Fiocchi shotshells, 9s, and .223. Excellent stuff, priced nicely. Don’t need primers, but would certainly try them if I did.

The ammo I’m buying is made here for the most part. Not sure about the Golden Pheasant shotshells, which sell like hotcakes in this area.
Posted By: DLALLDER Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/10/22
Fact not rumor. A company out of the Dallas Metroplex, has started renovating part of LONE STAR ARMY AMMUNITION PLANT in Hooks, Texas, maybe 4-6 months ago with plan to produce primers first then ammo. I do not know what the status is as of today but
maybe nearing actual production. Daniel
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/10/22
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Fact not rumor. A company out of the Dallas Metroplex, has started renovating part of LONE STAR ARMY AMMUNITION PLANT in Hooks, Texas, maybe 4-6 months ago with plan to produce primers first then ammo. I do not know what the status is as of today but

I actually saw a news clip on that very thing a few months ago. They interviewed the CEO. Be great to have another manufacturer.
Posted By: DLALLDER Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/10/22
I sent a PM to member on another forum, that knows the man doing it. Maybe he will know status of the new plant. Daniel
Posted By: FC363 Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/11/22
I have 9000 Unis Ginex primers from Bosnia. They fit really tight, and shoot very well also.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/11/22
Back in my sporting clays days, I used to load all my shotshell ammo with Fiocchi primers. They all went a bang, prices were very reasonable. Probably still have 4K left I bought at $20/1000.

Someone ought to call the Anguilla folks in Mexico and order a container of primers. It’s getting ridiculous.
Posted By: Trystan Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/11/22
This thread doesn't apply to me because I have plenty of primers. Call it forsight, lack of no insight, or whatever you want
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/11/22
Originally Posted by Trystan
This thread doesn't apply to me because I have plenty of primers. Call it forsight, lack of no insight, or whatever you want

Yeah, I have a million primers too. Fu ck everyone else huh?
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/11/22

If it doesn’t apply to you then why did you click on the thread and then respond?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/11/22

You bragging or complaining
Posted By: guy57 Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/11/22
Shot thousands of Fiochi primers years ago with no problems. They were priced right and worked just fine.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/11/22
guy57;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day was a fine one for you.

Thanks for the report on actual use, I appreciate it.

With any new primers, I'd expect there's a bit of a learning curve, as in the Bosnian ones that FC363 said were tight.

The RWS ones I used back in the day were a really hard cup and didn't show "traditional" pressure as fast as say a Federal 210 did, so when I tried them with the same loads it was a bit of an eye opener for me.

Also I had one brand of brass that escapes me now that the pockets were just a tad tight, so harder primers like Remington 9½ were hard to seat but again Federal 210 were dandy.

If I see some Fiocchi up here across the medicine line and they don't need too, too many body parts or first born children for some, I'll absolutely give them a whirl.

Part of the fun for me with reloading is playing with new components just to see if it's even a little bit better.

All the best and thanks again.

Dwayne
Posted By: Seafire Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/11/22
Originally Posted by jwp475

You bragging or complaining

I am in the same boat at Trystan.....

I wouldn't consider that bragging or complaining...the message I send, and think he is doing the same...

Never ever trust a democRat except to know that they will forever be coming for your firearms, your ammunition and everything else they can get their hands on....Take that as you please....no intention of pissing anyone off....period.
Posted By: LV_Hunter Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/11/22
Midway has SRP. For how long?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/11/22
For a good while already, actually. I bought some 41s a while back for semi-auto use, and to keep the others for other rifles. Even at this price, with shipping and HAZMAT, these are cheaper than the only local place I know of that has them at times.
Posted By: okie john Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/11/22

I just checked with a buddy who works for that company. He said that they started shipping to their bulk clients a few months ago. Current minimum orders are large but product is moving.

Okie John
Posted By: milespatton Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/11/22
I have posted this before but there is supposedly a primer factory being built near Des Arc, Ar. There is definitely something being built, with buildings surrounded by high earthen embankments. That is all that I can say for sure. miles
Posted By: Hudge Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/11/22
Des Arc? Maybe I’ll make a drive that way when I get to Arkansas next weekend. Didn’t Fiocchi announce they were building a plant in Little Rock?
Posted By: milespatton Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/11/22
Fiocchi has a plant, I suppose. At least they have a sign that I saw going to Wrightsville a while back. That is South of Little Rock a small distance. miles
Posted By: Trystan Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/11/22
If you get caught with your pants down once shame on them

Twice shame on them and you

Three times shame on you

Four times WTF is wrong with you

We are at number 5

Believe it or not some may make it all the way to 10 or possibly infinity and beyond

Me, I made it to 1 once!!!

Now I'm a happy camper! Happy happington the hunter who can run and jump and hop and skip! And shoot bullets

There is a moral to this story and I believe someone pointed it out! Its called a Democrat got elected again! Take it into consideration or don't consider it at all! Ultimately that choice is yours, but remember, you are the one who made it!!!
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/12/22
Originally Posted by chamois
In Europe I had never ever seen a Fiocchi primer, and suddenly they are available everywhere here.

During the Sandy Hook shortages I bought two bricks of Fiocchi small pistol primers for $30 each. There were 2500 primers in each brick. An old guy was clearing out his reloading supplies due to loss of vision.
Posted By: Marley7x57 Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/12/22
Originally Posted by okie john

I just checked with a buddy who works for that company. He said that they started shipping to their bulk clients a few months ago. Current minimum orders are large but product is moving.

Okie John

That is a 180 from what I have heard.
Posted By: las Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/16/22

I'll call it beating your chest like Tarzan after a kill. You're welcome. smile

I'll concede the (good) point, however. I don't have as much powder as I thought I had.... or want. Sufficient for awhile, just not smugly sufficient - my preference point....
Posted By: UpThePole Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/16/22
I have a flintlock. No issues.
Posted By: Razorhog Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/16/22
Ficcohi is building a facility in Ft. Smith, AR. Management were showing ammo, etc........at LE training in Ozark, AR. They said they hoped to be up and in production just after the start of 2023. Glad to have them in our midst.
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/16/22
I know primers are the biggest problem. In Canada, I have been paying $110 to $140 per thousand. That's about $85 to $115 USD, when they are available. Out of curiosity, what are you paying for 1000 primers during this latest shortage?
Posted By: steveredd1 Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yeah, I have a million primers too. Fu ck everyone else huh?

like that idea
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/17/22
Originally Posted by UpThePole
I have a flintlock. No issues.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/17/22
I will believe anything about primers when they show back up in shops in any number.

Cost might be around 40.00 per thousand but that price seems fair these days.

But i don't think that they will show up.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Latest primer rumor - 08/17/22
Originally Posted by milespatton
Fiocchi has a plant, I suppose. At least they have a sign that I saw going to Wrightsville a while back. That is South of Little Rock a small distance. miles

Ok, very familiar with the area as I grew up north of LR. I considered buying 120 acres with a house last July that bordered Cypress Bayou. It was a pretty good deal, just didn’t know what the hell I’d do for work though. Came back to Alaska and four months later went permanent remote work.
© 24hourcampfire