Home
Posted By: shouldershot Hearing aids? - 08/23/22
Don’t know much about them. Can/should you shoot while they are on? Are there aids available that also block the sound of gunfire like some of the electronic shooting ear muffs?

Thanks
Posted By: boliep Re: Hearing aids? - 08/23/22
I take my hearing aids out when at the gun club and when hunting. That is the time to use electronic ear muffs.
You can still hear people or game but they are designed to shut out sounds over a certain level. Hearing aids do not do that.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Hearing aids? - 08/23/22
I was told to take them out by the audiologist
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Hearing aids? - 08/23/22
I take mine out too!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Hearing aids? - 08/23/22
I take them out and replace them with electronic amplifying ear plugs. If, as I do sometimes, I’m using muffs, I take them out as well.
Posted By: shouldershot Re: Hearing aids? - 08/23/22
Ok, I get it. Take them out. Anyone aware of hearing aids out there that also protect your ears from loud noises, like the shooting muffs?

Thanks
Posted By: czech1022 Re: Hearing aids? - 08/23/22
Look at Walker Game Ears. I know there are competitors, but I've been happy with Walkers for years.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Hearing aids? - 08/23/22
I take them out when at the rifle range. I've used Walker muffs for years and when shooting sporting clays I leave the hearing aids in but have the muffs on. My hearing hasn't deteriorated over the last several check ups.
Posted By: Teal Re: Hearing aids? - 08/23/22
Originally Posted by shouldershot
Ok, I get it. Take them out. Anyone aware of hearing aids out there that also protect your ears from loud noises, like the shooting muffs?

Thanks

Call these guys - started in hearing aids and then moved to muffs - IIRC. Still - it appears their hearing aids offer what you're asking. These are their in ear models but they have behind the ear too etc.

Axil - Hearing
Posted By: czech1022 Re: Hearing aids? - 08/23/22
I tried Axil GS Electronic ear buds with a wire that hangs behind your head that provides adjustable sound control.

Worst things I've ever tried. The ear buds wouldn't stay in, were very uncomfortable and only partially blocked outside sound. When your ears are ringing after every shot and you've wearing hearing protection, you know what you have is crap.

I put them on the shelf in my closet and never tried them again.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Hearing aids? - 08/23/22
I have a set of Walker Bluetooth combo clamping protectors. The audio is fair, the amplified ambient audio is buzzy, and the clamping sucks. Gonna try them one more time as straight plugs that I can turn the ambient on as needed for talking with others as needed. They seem to work pretty well as plugs, but haven’tbtried them with gunfire yet.

To be fair, these were half-price, so I shoulda known I guess.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Hearing aids? - 08/24/22
I wear hearing aids occasionally, although rarely ever when I'm outside as they pick up too much unwanted noise. My audiologist told me that it would be best not to wear them when shooting, but that they were designed to block out most of the sound of a gunshot.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Hearing aids? - 08/25/22
My niece/audiologist said to remove them AND SHUT THEM OFF - as the shock impulse can be damaging to the instruments.
They HAVE survived quite a few "cowboy drive-by's" on coyotes, however!
Posted By: Bclark Re: Hearing aids? - 08/27/22
I wear my hearing aids when turkey hunting and turn them up when blind calling but turn them back to normal once I hear a bird. I shoot a 20 ga and never had any ringing after shooting a bird. One shot only so not sure about multiple shots? Living on the edge I know because if I ever forget to turn them back down I am sure it would do damage.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Hearing aids? - 08/28/22
I wear hearing aids when turkey hunting, all the time, including when I shoot.
But I hunt them with a bow and arrows 🙃
Posted By: DLALLDER Re: Hearing aids? - 08/28/22
I have worn hearing aids for 25 plus years. My audiologist has always said not to worry about them, they have circuits that will limit the output to your ears at 85db. I normally put muffs on over the aids. Have never had a problem wearing and shooting them no other ear protection.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Hearing aids? - 08/30/22
I take my hearing aids out and switch to Walker Game Ears when hunting, shooting.
© 24hourcampfire