Home
Posted By: RevMike Tom McIntyre - RIP - 11/05/22
I just saw where Tom McIntyre of Sports Afield died yesterday at age 70. In this day and age that is far too young. I’ve enjoyed his writing for a long time. Condolences to his fiends and family.
Posted By: CraigD Re: Tom McIntyre - RIP - 11/05/22
He will be missed! RIP
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Tom McIntyre - RIP - 11/05/22
I enjoyed his writing as well. RIP.
Posted By: ACTDad Re: Tom McIntyre - RIP - 11/05/22
RIP

I enjoyed his writing
Posted By: memtb Re: Tom McIntyre - RIP - 11/05/22
Yep……a good writer that will be missed! RIP Tom. memtb
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Tom McIntyre - RIP - 11/05/22
I was informed yesterday by a mutual friend. Apparently Tom died in his sleep.

We first met in the late 1980s, thanks to another mutual friend, Steve Bodio, who for many years wrote the book review column for Gray's Sporting Journal. We hit it off, and Tom decided I needed to hunt wild pigs and turkeys in his native California, so arranged a hunt for both of us on a ranch near Paso Robles. That turned out to be a bunch of fun, and
over the next few decades Tom and I spent plenty more time in hunting from Montana to Europe--though we never did get to go to Africa together. He was a lot of fun just to talk to, and we spent lots of "campfire" time doing just that, whether in tent camps or fancier accommodations in European cities.

I had many thoughts after finding out he was gone, but one was some appreciation of the fact that he'd just finished his latest book, a BIG one about Cape buffalo titled Thunder Without Rain--not just hunting them, but everything else, and even finished going through the editing changes with the publisher. I just wish I could have personally helped him celebrate its publication.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Tom McIntyre - RIP - 11/05/22
That’s sad news.

It’s also a reminder to those of us in that “bracket” to live life well while we can. More and more I find myself thinking, “If not now, when?” when I get lazy about doing something I enjoy. Not only death, but sickness and injury can take you out of the game pretty easily at this point. The small circle of geezers I shoot with has recently lost one member, and several more have had brushes with bad health.

And not just the fun stuff. When my Previous flew the coop nearly a decade ago, I was blessed to quickly find a wonderful new woman to fill that void. Literally, this is the best time of my life in that regard.

Don’t waste it.
Posted By: Leenie3freezers Re: Tom McIntyre - RIP - 11/06/22
Tommy Mac was always fun to have in camp. My most vivid memory of him is from years ago, when John and I had been elk hunting in a snowy and cold November and took a cow elk. We climbed back up the mountain the next morning to retrieve her, with lots of help, including Tommy. We took her apart, each took a section, and we headed back down. John and I were rearranging our loads before heading down a really steep section, when Tommy came sledding down the snowy trail, using a side of elk ribs as his sleigh. Actually more like a toboggan. As he sped past us John said, "I don't think that's a very good idea," but Tom was having a great time. And it all ended up well.
I hope heaven is ready for him! RIP Tommy.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Tom McIntyre - RIP - 11/06/22
😢We are diminished.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Tom McIntyre - RIP - 11/06/22
Sad news, RIP
Posted By: oldwoody2 Re: Tom McIntyre - RIP - 11/06/22
This Forum continues to amaze me! We are exceedingly lucky to have well versed people give so freely of their knowledge, especially JB !!
Posted By: saddlering Re: Tom McIntyre - RIP - 11/06/22
RIP Tom, I'm wondering how many opening days I have left.
Posted By: Puddle Re: Tom McIntyre - RIP - 11/06/22
Will be reading his latest book when it comes available.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Tom McIntyre - RIP - 11/07/22
Truly a sad time for his friends and family.
Praying for comfort, and great memories.
Posted By: Barryt Re: Tom McIntyre - RIP - 11/07/22
Guided Tom way back in '82 for bou, ....... we had a ball of laughs, .......... once, we saw some ptarmigan hiding in bushes to avoid an eagle overhead, ..... Tom cautiously plucked one from the bush that rested in his palm. Then, down came the peed off eagle in a vendetta rush and took the cap off his head without a scratch!
Made for a great story afterwards and we often laughed about it for years.
Sympathies to his family, ...... he was a great writer and friend.
We're losing too many too fast!
Posted By: Lee_Woiteshek Re: Tom McIntyre - RIP - 11/08/22
I often wonder what this country is going to look like when the boomers are gone. Like the others, I enjoyed his unique style of writing.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Tom McIntyre - RIP - 11/08/22
I enjoyed his writing very much and will look for his book when it becomes available. Having just turned 70 myself and surviving bone cancer (so far anyway) each day is a blessing and those spent afield are especially blessed.
Posted By: Keepemsharp Re: Tom McIntyre - RIP - 11/08/22
I really enjoyed his writing style. Sad to hear, and too soon for sure.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Tom McIntyre - RIP - 11/09/22
Sad news indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed everything he wrote. He knew what life was about.
© 24hourcampfire