Print Thread
Hop To
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I just saw where Tom McIntyre of Sports Afield died yesterday at age 70. In this day and age that is far too young. I’ve enjoyed his writing for a long time. Condolences to his fiends and family.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
He will be missed! RIP

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I enjoyed his writing as well. RIP.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
RIP

I enjoyed his writing

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yep……a good writer that will be missed! RIP Tom. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I was informed yesterday by a mutual friend. Apparently Tom died in his sleep.

We first met in the late 1980s, thanks to another mutual friend, Steve Bodio, who for many years wrote the book review column for Gray's Sporting Journal. We hit it off, and Tom decided I needed to hunt wild pigs and turkeys in his native California, so arranged a hunt for both of us on a ranch near Paso Robles. That turned out to be a bunch of fun, and
over the next few decades Tom and I spent plenty more time in hunting from Montana to Europe--though we never did get to go to Africa together. He was a lot of fun just to talk to, and we spent lots of "campfire" time doing just that, whether in tent camps or fancier accommodations in European cities.

I had many thoughts after finding out he was gone, but one was some appreciation of the fact that he'd just finished his latest book, a BIG one about Cape buffalo titled Thunder Without Rain--not just hunting them, but everything else, and even finished going through the editing changes with the publisher. I just wish I could have personally helped him celebrate its publication.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That’s sad news.

It’s also a reminder to those of us in that “bracket” to live life well while we can. More and more I find myself thinking, “If not now, when?” when I get lazy about doing something I enjoy. Not only death, but sickness and injury can take you out of the game pretty easily at this point. The small circle of geezers I shoot with has recently lost one member, and several more have had brushes with bad health.

And not just the fun stuff. When my Previous flew the coop nearly a decade ago, I was blessed to quickly find a wonderful new woman to fill that void. Literally, this is the best time of my life in that regard.

Don’t waste it.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Tommy Mac was always fun to have in camp. My most vivid memory of him is from years ago, when John and I had been elk hunting in a snowy and cold November and took a cow elk. We climbed back up the mountain the next morning to retrieve her, with lots of help, including Tommy. We took her apart, each took a section, and we headed back down. John and I were rearranging our loads before heading down a really steep section, when Tommy came sledding down the snowy trail, using a side of elk ribs as his sleigh. Actually more like a toboggan. As he sped past us John said, "I don't think that's a very good idea," but Tom was having a great time. And it all ended up well.
I hope heaven is ready for him! RIP Tommy.

On appetites: "If I had to wait until I was hungry to eat, I'd never eat."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
😢We are diminished.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sad news, RIP

Last edited by dye7barrel; 11/06/22.
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
This Forum continues to amaze me! We are exceedingly lucky to have well versed people give so freely of their knowledge, especially JB !!

"not too grumpy"
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
RIP Tom, I'm wondering how many opening days I have left.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Will be reading his latest book when it comes available.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Truly a sad time for his friends and family.
Praying for comfort, and great memories.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Guided Tom way back in '82 for bou, ....... we had a ball of laughs, .......... once, we saw some ptarmigan hiding in bushes to avoid an eagle overhead, ..... Tom cautiously plucked one from the bush that rested in his palm. Then, down came the peed off eagle in a vendetta rush and took the cap off his head without a scratch!
Made for a great story afterwards and we often laughed about it for years.
Sympathies to his family, ...... he was a great writer and friend.
We're losing too many too fast!

A stranger is a friend we haven't met.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I often wonder what this country is going to look like when the boomers are gone. Like the others, I enjoyed his unique style of writing.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I enjoyed his writing very much and will look for his book when it becomes available. Having just turned 70 myself and surviving bone cancer (so far anyway) each day is a blessing and those spent afield are especially blessed.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I really enjoyed his writing style. Sad to hear, and too soon for sure.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sad news indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed everything he wrote. He knew what life was about.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,837
Posts18,478,100
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.