Home
i wanna get a new Garmin chronograph but i also want someone with a lot of experience with shooting different size calibers and cartridges has used plenty chronographs that would give us a great honest answers after using one . so how many looneys would be interested in sending this person each $20.00 or more for this person to test a new Garmin chronograph for us ? this person from out west gets to keep our money and the chronograph . i am leary just to buy another chronograph but this Garmin might be the better easier ticket . who thinks this would be a good way to know the truth ? thank you Pete53
They are on backorder from everyone............compose yourself and wait like the rest of us without knee jerk reactions
i have a way of getting one faster than the public can , so i want an honest answer no its not a knee jerk reaction i own 3 different brand chronographs now all take to much time to set-up . but in the winter i have plenty time to shoot on my rifle range and a easy Chronograph would help up here in the north country when its cold and nasty 1/2 the year.
Get it. Mail it to MD. Let him wear it out, then he'll write about it.
comment to my thought i need others too ?
Originally Posted by pete53
comment to my thought i need others too ?

There's literally thousands of reviews out there beyond the Fire, all positive, from BB guns on up, live a little.
Thinking about selling my Magneto Speed setup and getting one, but I don’t need donations and don’t do reviews.
I've got mine - ordered a day or two after the announcement. I've only shot over it twice with S&W .40 and 10mm. It didn't miss a shot and is blindly easy to set up and use.

As others have said, there are tons of reviews from guys how have shot extensively over it.

My Lab Radar has already found a new home and won't miss it a bit. If you got the cash and need a chrono, I can't imagine buying anything else.
I cannot even begin to describe how pleased I am that I no longer have to shoot over a Shooting Chrony.

Worth every single penny spent and every second waiting.
i have a way of getting one faster than the public can , so i want an honest answer no its not a knee jerk reaction i own 3 different brand chronographs now all take to much time to set-up . but in the winter i have plenty time to shoot on my rifle range and a easy Chronograph would help up here in the north country when its cold and nasty 1/2 the year.

Which review can’t you read or don’t believe?
Back when Oehler 35P was all the rage, I watched a feller spend 25 minutes setting his up his new Oehler chronograph at the range. I had to watch because it took him 25 agonizing minutes.

Unfortunately, he apparently looked through his scope turned up to Mach 10 magnification failing to consider the flightpath of his bullet. Whatever caliber he was shooting ploughed through all three skyscreens. Seemed like good penetration to me but unclear on the velocity.

Took a lot of self-control not to comment. I let him cuss and stamp around until he collected what was left and departed.

I don't miss the Oehler days.
Ahh, the Oehler 35P, shame mine took a dump after 12 years and the real shame is that it got repaired for free. Be interesting to see if Garmin will do that after 1 year.
I don't miss the Oehler days. It is so windy in my area that it was difficult to keep the sky screens from blowing over. As a result, I could only chronograph a few days a year and had many wasted trips to the range.

I have been looking at reviews of the Garmin and have yet to see anyone mention the one thing that gives me concerns. I am not a fan of phone apps generally (especially unique proprietary ones) or using my phone as a long term data storage device. I keep a SanDisk memory card in my Labradar that has saved every string I have fired. All I need to do is jot down the gun, string number and load info. I can pull the card from the Labradar at any time and download the data to my computer in a CSV format.

Can any of you early Garmin adopters tell me if the unit has built in memory and/or a means of saving the data to a computer in a commonly recognized format?

Thanks.
Lots of retards on rifle ranges.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by dave7mm

I agree about retards at rifle ranges laugh but have never used my Oehler with only 2 skyscreens
what is the reason ????????
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by dave7mm

I agree about retards at rifle ranges laugh but have never used my Oehler with only 2 skyscreens
what is the reason ????????

That is an Ohler 33 which only has 2 screens
John is correct .
Ohler model 33 from 1986.
Only two screens.
In the picture they are 10 feet apart .
The book says, as I remember,
Accuracy doubles from a 5 foot to 10 foot screen spacing.
That's how I used it for years.
Service and parts are still available..

Sight mark Lazer.
30 bucks.

dave
If anybody reads the directions from Ken Oehler on how to set up a 35 (or 33) it doesn't take more than at most 5 minutes.

I still have my 35P, mostly as a check for any new chronograph I have to check out--but also because they're almost as hard to sell as Labradars are going to be....
I use a stopwatch

I put it in my off trigger hand and punch to start when I pull the trigger then when I see the bullet slice through the paper I punch it to stop.

A few quick equations on my abacus and I can derive fps and BC

A half dozen shots later and I've determined SD
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I use a stopwatch

I put it in my off trigger hand and punch to start when I pull the trigger then when I see the bullet slice through the paper I punch it to stop.

A few quick equations on my abacus and I can derive fps and BC

A half dozen shots later and I've determined SD

Long ago and faraway I used to sight-in precisely at 100 yards, then shoot the rifle at longer ranges. Sometimes I'd bother to compare the results with the primitive trajectory charts in the back of just about all loading manuals back then, and come up with an approximate muzzle velocity.

Then in 1989 I bought my first chronograph, and used it to figure trajectories using the primitive tables published in the back of most loading manuals back then. That didn't work as closely as many people thought it would, partly because the tables were based on "standard atmospheric conditions," 59 degrees F. at sea level.

Also discovered that most handloaders over-estimated the velocities of their handloads, probably due to picking the highest out of all the manuals then available. Found this out because my chronograph was the first to appear on the local range, and more than a few people asked if they could take a few shots over its light-screens. Often they cussed it out, saying the numbers couldn't be right--but they proved to be just as accurate as any of the several chronographs I've owned since.

An abacus would probably be more accurate than those old trajectory tables....
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
If anybody reads the directions from Ken Oehler on how to set up a 35 (or 33) it doesn't take more than at most 5 minutes.
That's true but I won't attempt to set mine up at the local public range. When I want to use it now it requires a trip to the national forest. Have a Garmin on order.
i still use my Oehler 35 but where i live winter and snow makes it harder to use then , but i am very interested in the new Garmin unit and no i don`t believe everyone either anymore.show me where someone got good readings while shooting a 17 Remington with 25 gr. bullets that could read every bullet that shot 4,000 FPS my Oehler stii does.
I wonder if you can get an Abacus app for an iPhone?
i still use my Oehler 35 but where i live winter and snow makes it harder to use then , but i am very interested in the new Garmin unit and no i don`t believe everyone either anymore.show me where someone got good readings while shooting a 17 Remington with 25 gr. bullets that could read every bullet that shot 4,000 FPS my Oehler stii does.

So buy it yourself, quicker than anyone else can get it, and test it yourself. Report back, quit whining.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

So buy it yourself, quicker than anyone else can get it, and test it yourself. Report back, quit whining.

you use the word whining loosely when your hidden behind a keyboard ,someday do it in front of me ,then you will see who will be whining . some of you guys just don`t seem to be positive or respectful and that is to bad for this site. > put your pants on like a man and grow up JGRaider !
Interesting
1 year warranty. Or buy a 2 year extended for 60 or 3 years for 90.
Non replaceable internal battery
Needs smartphone or computer to off load data.
Reviews on smartphone app are not positive.
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Interesting

that`s my thought too ? i want something to last 10 years or more ? for the price of this Garmin there should be a 3-5 year warranty with the price of the new Garmin ? nothing mentioned about if unit get`s froze either ? my old 35 Oehler don`t care what temp it is except i might need a new battery.
Interesting

that`s my thought too ? i want something to last 10 years or more ? for the price of this Garmin there should be a 3-5 year warranty with the price of the new Garmin ? nothing mentioned about if unit get`s froze either ? my old 35 Oehler don`t care what temp it is except i might need a new battery.

Should have added it has specific operating and charging temps

Operating temperature range
From -10º to 55ºC (from 14º to 131ºF)
Charging temperature range
From 0º to 45°C (from 32º to 113°F)
Interesting

yep with how to store this unit too ? i would rather be able to change a battery out myself .
Will say that IME rechargeable lithium-ion batteries 3-5 years max. Even batteries in cell phones and wireless Bluetooth devices start degrading after 1-2 years.
Not sure the battery issue is an issue. At full charge the unit can run for 6 hours. When I was at the range, I turned the unit off when not in use. So at the most, it operated maybe 25 total minutes to record 75 shots.

And unlike the cell phone analogy, one is not charging and discharging the chrono daily. So the cycle rate may well exceed 5 to 8 years. By then, the next generation will be out.

YMMV
HOW LONG DO LITHIUM-ION BATTERIES LAST IN STORAGE?

How long lithium-ion batteries last when used is one thing—but what about when you store them? After all, that might affect whether or not you want to pick up that “used” battery at the flea market.

A number of factors affect a battery pack’s lifespan on the shelf. Let’s start with some best practices. You want to store your batteries at approximately 50% charge if you don’t intend to use them again within a week or so. Some manufacturers may have slight variations on that, but in general, 50% ensures you don’t decrease the battery storage capacity while it sits.

From time to time you also need to check your battery packs as they might drain slightly. Ensure the packs don’t completely drain by keeping them around 50% or whatever level the manufacturer recommends. Do that, and you can expect your batteries to last up to 3-5 years in storage.

you use the word whining loosely when your hidden behind a keyboard ,someday do it in front of me ,then you will see who will be whining . some of you guys just don`t seem to be positive or respectful and that is to bad for this site. > put your pants on like a man and grow up JGRaider !

You and Swifty make a good pair. He's the clown who couldn't figure out how to apply Dyna Bore Coat to a rifle barrel.
Knock yourself out......

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/new-garmin-xero-c1-radar-chronograph.4106153/
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That's true but I won't attempt to set mine up at the local public range. When I want to use it now it requires a trip to the national forest. Have a Garmin on order.

I've had a Magnetospeed for several years, set up on a stand so it can be used on the benches at the local range--which isn't public, though half the people in the county belong to it. My MS still works fine for that purpose, especially since I'm not shooting targets/chronographing nearly as much as I used to for articles....

You and Swifty make a good pair. He's the clown who couldn't figure out how to apply Dyna Bore Coat to a rifle barrel.

Well damn it took 71 years but I finally found someone namely you that’s never had a visit from uncle Murphy. Must be really boring waking up every morning knowing the day is going to be perfect.
Originally Posted by aalf
There's literally thousands of reviews out there beyond the Fire, all positive, from BB guns on up, live a little.

I shot over one a couple weeks back.....6.5 PRC and 300 WSM. Read within single digits of my trusty Pro Chrono with a furnace filter diffuser. wink -Al

And given supply and demand, sell it if it doesn't meet expectations without losing much, if any, money.

yep with how to store this unit too ? i would rather be able to change a battery out myself .

So don't buy one...problem solved.
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Not sure the battery issue is an issue. At full charge the unit can run for 6 hours. When I was at the range, I turned the unit off when not in use. So at the most, it operated maybe 25 total minutes to record 75 shots.

And unlike the cell phone analogy, one is not charging and discharging the chrono daily. So the cycle rate may well exceed 5 to 8 years. By then, the next generation will be out.

YMMV

Not an issue, if the battery eventually dies you can simply connect a cheap battery pack to it via usb C.

I have one and absolutely do not regret the purchase as it is a better mousetrap. If someone else feels different then the answer is easy...don't buy one.

[Linked Image]
I have had an Oehler 35, a pro chrony, still have a lab radar and magneto speed V3, purchased the Garmin out of interest and promised ease of set up. Out of them all, I used to use the MS V3 the most due to ease of set up, until the garmin came along. I have fired probably 700 or more rounds over it in the last 6 weeks, 17 caliber to 30 caliber, 22 lr, crossbow, sling shot, muzzle loader and pistols from 22lr to 480 ruger, it missed all of 2 shots from the muzzle loader. Why? because the speed was set to 1700fps or less and after 2 shots not registering, I put it on the 1700-5000 fps setting and it read every one just fine since, they were going over 1900 fps. I have placed it beside and under barrels, outside of the 5-15 inch range they suggest. Fired over it in weather from 20-70 degrees and in fog and rain. Never skips a beat. I don't mind the app for what it is, gives high/low/average and SD/ES. I don't shoot competitively and need to correct down range velocity beyond 100 yds to correct BC, but if I did I kept my lab radar and can do that. I'm hopeful as new versions come out, and over the air software updates are done with tens of thousands of reports coming inform it, garmin will continue to make it better, but that's little stuff. Correlating FPS values from the lab radar, MS V3 and Garmin have been very very close, usually between 1-5 fps for each of them. I will give them kudos, so far, for me, it is a better mouse trap.
i will wait a year and see if there are some more improvements ,i still have my other 3 chronographs and to be honest if you compare reloading books most are close on the velocities too.
Interesting

My model 33 is 37 years old.
Somehow I just don't see the thing holding up.

dave
The old fellow came right over to my bench and said,

“It's a what? A Garmin? I never heard of them. The trouble with you youngsters is you think that these new inventions are the bee's knees. They don’t always work so good, you know. I got an older chronograph that never gave me a lick of trouble. It's a 1950s gas model. I had to pump it a couple of times to get it to turn over.”

“What?”

“Are ya deaf, son? I said, I had to give my chrono a pump. Beside the gas tank there is a pump. You unscrew a brass knob, put your thumb over the hole in the knob and give it a couple of pumps to prime her. I still got it, but my son says I can’t use it because they don’t make leaded gas anymore. How does yours work?”

"I dunno. You just put it on the bench, turn it on and start shooting."

The old fellow replied, "Oh. So it's an automatic. Mine was a stick. I bought it after reading the ads in the back of Field and Stream magazine. I can remember like it was yesterday. It was the June 1956 edition. The ad said,

Are you tired of relying on factory ammunition for your hunt? Make your own and save! And don’t forget the chronograph!

"So I bought one. It's a real beauty. She’s fire engine red, with chrome trim, and big, ole fins on either side of the dash - a Stutz-Packard 1000. Their slogan was, ‘Welcome to the Future!’ It sure beat the heck out of the older, steam driven chronographs...”
Here we go, all cased up and ready to be thrown in the back of the Hilux.

Don't even have to screw it together.

[Linked Image]
Interesting, just got another update on the Garmin.
i will wait a year and see if there are some more improvements ,i still have my other 3 chronographs and to be honest if you compare reloading books most are close on the velocities too.

God bless the less fortunate. Amen.
pete53,

Seems like a pretty good review/test and none of us had to send lhead71 the $20 either.

Originally Posted by lhead71
I have had an Oehler 35, a pro chrony, still have a lab radar and magneto speed V3, purchased the Garmin out of interest and promised ease of set up. Out of them all, I used to use the MS V3 the most due to ease of set up, until the garmin came along. I have fired probably 700 or more rounds over it in the last 6 weeks, 17 caliber to 30 caliber, 22 lr, crossbow, sling shot, muzzle loader and pistols from 22lr to 480 ruger, it missed all of 2 shots from the muzzle loader. Why? because the speed was set to 1700fps or less and after 2 shots not registering, I put it on the 1700-5000 fps setting and it read every one just fine since, they were going over 1900 fps. I have placed it beside and under barrels, outside of the 5-15 inch range they suggest. Fired over it in weather from 20-70 degrees and in fog and rain. Never skips a beat. I don't mind the app for what it is, gives high/low/average and SD/ES. I don't shoot competitively and need to correct down range velocity beyond 100 yds to correct BC, but if I did I kept my lab radar and can do that. I'm hopeful as new versions come out, and over the air software updates are done with tens of thousands of reports coming inform it, garmin will continue to make it better, but that's little stuff. Correlating FPS values from the lab radar, MS V3 and Garmin have been very very close, usually between 1-5 fps for each of them. I will give them kudos, so far, for me, it is a better mouse trap.

I should maybe stay upstairs at the campfire as every time I come down to these other fora my loonyism gets a boost. Might have to look into one of them newfangled gadgets
Originally Posted by JSTUART

[Linked Image]

Okay...now it is bloody well finished!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Okay...now it is bloody well finished!

[Linked Image]

Well that’s pretty f’in cool. Definitely appeals to my OCD side.
Interesting
I carry a notebook and pencil to the range.
They still make pencils?.....
He found one under the couch….😊
© 24hourcampfire