Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have had an Oehler 35, a pro chrony, still have a lab radar and magneto speed V3, purchased the Garmin out of interest and promised ease of set up. Out of them all, I used to use the MS V3 the most due to ease of set up, until the garmin came along. I have fired probably 700 or more rounds over it in the last 6 weeks, 17 caliber to 30 caliber, 22 lr, crossbow, sling shot, muzzle loader and pistols from 22lr to 480 ruger, it missed all of 2 shots from the muzzle loader. Why? because the speed was set to 1700fps or less and after 2 shots not registering, I put it on the 1700-5000 fps setting and it read every one just fine since, they were going over 1900 fps. I have placed it beside and under barrels, outside of the 5-15 inch range they suggest. Fired over it in weather from 20-70 degrees and in fog and rain. Never skips a beat. I don't mind the app for what it is, gives high/low/average and SD/ES. I don't shoot competitively and need to correct down range velocity beyond 100 yds to correct BC, but if I did I kept my lab radar and can do that. I'm hopeful as new versions come out, and over the air software updates are done with tens of thousands of reports coming inform it, garmin will continue to make it better, but that's little stuff. Correlating FPS values from the lab radar, MS V3 and Garmin have been very very close, usually between 1-5 fps for each of them. I will give them kudos, so far, for me, it is a better mouse trap.

Enough already, just shoot it!
GB1

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
i will wait a year and see if there are some more improvements ,i still have my other 3 chronographs and to be honest if you compare reloading books most are close on the velocities too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by pete53
Interesting
1 year warranty. Or buy a 2 year extended for 60 or 3 years for 90.
Non replaceable internal battery
Needs smartphone or computer to off load data.
Reviews on smartphone app are not positive.

that`s my thought too ? i want something to last 10 years or more ? for the price of this Garmin there should be a 3-5 year warranty with the price of the new Garmin ? nothing mentioned about if unit get`s froze either ? my old 35 Oehler don`t care what temp it is except i might need a new battery.

Should have added it has specific operating and charging temps

Operating temperature range
From -10º to 55ºC (from 14º to 131ºF)
Charging temperature range
From 0º to 45°C (from 32º to 113°F)
My model 33 is 37 years old.
Somehow I just don't see the thing holding up.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
The old fellow came right over to my bench and said,

“It's a what? A Garmin? I never heard of them. The trouble with you youngsters is you think that these new inventions are the bee's knees. They don’t always work so good, you know. I got an older chronograph that never gave me a lick of trouble. It's a 1950s gas model. I had to pump it a couple of times to get it to turn over.”

“What?”

“Are ya deaf, son? I said, I had to give my chrono a pump. Beside the gas tank there is a pump. You unscrew a brass knob, put your thumb over the hole in the knob and give it a couple of pumps to prime her. I still got it, but my son says I can’t use it because they don’t make leaded gas anymore. How does yours work?”

"I dunno. You just put it on the bench, turn it on and start shooting."

The old fellow replied, "Oh. So it's an automatic. Mine was a stick. I bought it after reading the ads in the back of Field and Stream magazine. I can remember like it was yesterday. It was the June 1956 edition. The ad said,

Are you tired of relying on factory ammunition for your hunt? Make your own and save! And don’t forget the chronograph!

"So I bought one. It's a real beauty. She’s fire engine red, with chrome trim, and big, ole fins on either side of the dash - a Stutz-Packard 1000. Their slogan was, ‘Welcome to the Future!’ It sure beat the heck out of the older, steam driven chronographs...”

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Here we go, all cased up and ready to be thrown in the back of the Hilux.

Don't even have to screw it together.

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Interesting, just got another update on the Garmin.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by pete53
i will wait a year and see if there are some more improvements ,i still have my other 3 chronographs and to be honest if you compare reloading books most are close on the velocities too.

God bless the less fortunate. Amen.

Love Ksmïthïnhïzzër/fląvöřÐ.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
pete53,

Seems like a pretty good review/test and none of us had to send lhead71 the $20 either.

Originally Posted by lhead71
I have had an Oehler 35, a pro chrony, still have a lab radar and magneto speed V3, purchased the Garmin out of interest and promised ease of set up. Out of them all, I used to use the MS V3 the most due to ease of set up, until the garmin came along. I have fired probably 700 or more rounds over it in the last 6 weeks, 17 caliber to 30 caliber, 22 lr, crossbow, sling shot, muzzle loader and pistols from 22lr to 480 ruger, it missed all of 2 shots from the muzzle loader. Why? because the speed was set to 1700fps or less and after 2 shots not registering, I put it on the 1700-5000 fps setting and it read every one just fine since, they were going over 1900 fps. I have placed it beside and under barrels, outside of the 5-15 inch range they suggest. Fired over it in weather from 20-70 degrees and in fog and rain. Never skips a beat. I don't mind the app for what it is, gives high/low/average and SD/ES. I don't shoot competitively and need to correct down range velocity beyond 100 yds to correct BC, but if I did I kept my lab radar and can do that. I'm hopeful as new versions come out, and over the air software updates are done with tens of thousands of reports coming inform it, garmin will continue to make it better, but that's little stuff. Correlating FPS values from the lab radar, MS V3 and Garmin have been very very close, usually between 1-5 fps for each of them. I will give them kudos, so far, for me, it is a better mouse trap.

I should maybe stay upstairs at the campfire as every time I come down to these other fora my loonyism gets a boost. Might have to look into one of them newfangled gadgets

Last edited by Valsdad; 12/05/23.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART

[Linked Image]

Okay...now it is bloody well finished!

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

[Linked Image]

Okay...now it is bloody well finished!

[Linked Image]

Well that’s pretty f’in cool. Definitely appeals to my OCD side.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Interesting
1 year warranty. Or buy a 2 year extended for 60 or 3 years for 90.
Non replaceable internal battery
Needs smartphone or computer to off load data.
Reviews on smartphone app are not positive.
I carry a notebook and pencil to the range.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They still make pencils?.....

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
He found one under the couch….😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,776
Posts18,476,982
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.