Home
Posted By: 257Bob Two-stage triggers? - 01/17/24
I'm wondering if there are any practical or accuracy advantages with a two-stage trigger on a hunting rifle (deer, elk, etc...). Never tried one so would be interested in feedback from actual users. Thanks!
Posted By: geedubya Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/17/24
FWIW........

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/single-stage-vs-two-stage-triggers-what-s-the-difference/

ya!

GWB
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/17/24
I alternate between 2-stage (in U.S. milsurps), single stage (some heavy and some very scary light), single-set, and three distinctly different style double-set triggers on my hunting and target rifles. No problem, ever. I have my wits about me and my mind is keyed onto whichever trigger(s) I happen to be using.

Ya gotta be smarter than the trigger!
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/17/24
Good stuff, thanks!
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/17/24
I have no problems whatsoever with 2 stage triggers. Most of the best scores I have ever shot in NRA High Power competition were shot with well tuned 2 stage.
I can not help but notice that many people who will call 2 stage as unuseable, will wax poetic on the glories of the Savage Accutrigger. Hmm.
I've found that I shoot my open-grip Win 70s better in the field than I do my newer Rem clones with Trigger Tech triggers with more vertical grip stocks. I shoot them well at the range but not as smooth when hunting and trying to determine why. May try a two-stage to see if "engaging" the trigger makes a difference. Most of the hunting-shooting I do is close range, more reactionary than deliberate so I'm gonna need to work on it with these newer rifles.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/17/24
contrary to what many tell you about being surprised about the trigger break. I do my best shooting when I KNOW when the trigger is breaking. the problem with a single stage for me is I keep pulling, pull pull, then yank=miss. if the gun is on a steady rest, single or 2 stage don't matter. its field shooting where I greatly prefer 2 stage. usually off a detached bipod/shooting sticks. with 2 stage I can take up the slack and at the right moment seemingly without thinking the trigger breaks when all the checks are marked in my brain.

Really about the only situation I prefer single stage is off hand shooting at jackrabbits that are are running.

as for AR triggers, I like 2# takeup 1# break for the shooting stick style shooting. ie called coyotes. on my 2 stage triggers used for jackrabbits its a lighter takup and a heavier break, so the opposite. single stage would be fine, but often I use that AR for other things and I don't put a single stage trigger in it. short answer. it depends!!
cumminscowboy, "its field shooting where I greatly prefer 2 stage. usually off a detached bipod/shooting sticks. with 2 stage I can take up the slack and at the right moment seemingly without thinking the trigger breaks when all the checks are marked in my brain" my thoughts exactly but untried for me, will give it a try on my current build but I've already bought and installed single-stage trigger so I'll put it on the side and see how I like the 2S.
Posted By: tdoyka Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/17/24
my milsurps are pretty good trigger-wise, but there is always an exception. i had a 1944 '98 Mauser that had a horrible trigger. i took the trigger apart (springs, sear, etc) and cleaned it. next step was the inside of the bolt that needed cleaning. i put it all back together and i still had a horrible trigger. i got a Dayton Traister trigger and Wolff rifle service pack with a 26lb striker spring and now it is 4lbs of pull on the trigger.

my Husqvarna m46 either had a guy or a gunsmith stone it and it is awesome. the first stage is about 8 or 9 lbs to take it to the second stage. to break the 2nd stage is about 2 1/2 - 3 lbs pull. that's about what my sons' have on the Timney trigger (93 & 98 Mauser).

my hunting rifles are one stage and they are pretty good, but the one on the Remington m14 is around 7 - 8 lbs. i like 3lbs but i will go up to 5 lbs.
Posted By: Joe Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/17/24
I like a 2 stage very much and on really cold hunts when fingers are numb, give me a two stage trigger every time. On mild days, a single set is marvelous!
Posted By: MikeS Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/17/24
I think a target grade 2 stage could be very useful for hunting when adjusted to suitable pull weights. I have not hunted with one though.
For target shooting I much prefer the light pull 2 stage triggers (Anschutz and CG Extreme) installed on my M70 and 40X target rifles over my light pull weight single stage (Jewell). They can be easily be adjusted to a combined pull weight for both stages of less than a pound if you wish, or up to maybe 4 pounds combined weight. Geissele made their Super 700 trigger that may still be available on dealer shelves. It has a fixed shoe which may work better in the field.

I do not believe the two stage Timney referenced in the links is a true two stage "lever" design, but rather a hybrid single stage with two springs.
This is the one I'm considering...

https://triggertech.com/collections/bolt-action/products/rem-700-two-stage?variant=31968717734006
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/17/24
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I have no problems whatsoever with 2 stage triggers. Most of the best scores I have ever shot in NRA High Power competition were shot with well tuned 2 stage.
I can not help but notice that many people who will call 2 stage as unuseable, will wax poetic on the glories of the Savage Accutrigger. Hmm.

I like my 2 stage triggers on my AR's and semi auto pistols, not my "hunting" rifles. Of course, the OP stated "hunting" rifles. I don't think he mentioned competition rifles anywhere in his thread, but some out you guys are mentioning them. A well tuned single stage set at 2.5 pounds work for my needs, when hunting.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/17/24
i don't see any significant advantage to 2 stage triggers for hunting. But I use them in the AR-15's that I shoot in action matches and some of the shots involved require considerable precision. So I see no reason why they would not work for hunting.

As long as the trigger has a light crisp release, a two stage should be fine for hunting, but again, I don't see an advantage either.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/18/24

That's interesting! Didn't realize that Triggertech made a two-stage trigger... Thanks!

I've used two stage triggers on military surplus rifles, AR's, and a match rifle which was a Model 70 Win set up with a Medesha two-stage trigger. It was sweet. They work for target or hunting, just fine.

Guy
Posted By: philgood80 Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/18/24
I have honestly come to like the 2-stage trigger in the Weatherby Vanguard. The “wall” before the break stage is solid and I was able to adjust the final stage down to around 3 pounds. Wasn’t sure I would like it but I do.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/18/24
Have used 2-stage triggers a lot, both "traditional" military models on various older bolt-actions, and newer, lighter, crisper models on both AR-15s and various bolt-actions.

The biggest deal I've noticed is that using a wide variety of triggers--especially 2-stage--can result in occasional surprises when switching between rifles you haven't fired for a while....
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/18/24
I have grown to prefer the 2 stage on rifles that i have light trigger pulls on.
I typically set up my better rifles at 8 and 16 oz.
So far i prefer the Calvin Elite 2 stage
Posted By: DonFischer Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/18/24
I tend to like my 3# triggers on my 700's but have had people shoot them and tell me it went off on it own. 5# 0n my mod 70 and I do like it better than the 3# triggers. My favorite trigger I don't have a clue what its set at. 1903 Springfield sporterized by Paul Jaeger in 1945. It's the military two stage but cleaned up really really nice. Seems to me that the takeup loads my finger nicely and the over travel seem to eliminate jerking. Love that trigger! Don't confuse this with the standard military issue trigger's, world of difference!
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/18/24
Great feedback, thanks to all!
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/18/24
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by flintlocke

I like my 2 stage triggers on my AR's and semi auto pistols, not my "hunting" rifles. Of course, the OP stated "hunting" rifles. I don't think he mentioned competition rifles anywhere in his thread, but some out you guys are mentioning them. A well tuned single stage set at 2.5 pounds work for my needs, when hunting.
I didn't express myself clearly I guess. Let me re phrase...there is no advantage to a 2 stage on a hunting arm. On the other hand, a well tuned 2 stage is no handicap at all to shooters who take a little time to acclimate. The two stage, to me, is just one more step in getting off a clean shot...when practiced enough, muscle memory takes over...and I just don't have to think about taking up the slack. If I had a choice, I will always favor a set trigger, zero creep, adjust it to pull weight preference...and go make meat. Even though it supposedly increases lock time.
Posted By: ChrisF Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/18/24
I've hunted all my life with single stage triggers. However because I'm a Service Rifle competitor, I started competing with the M14's two stage trigger and continued with the AR two stage trigger. I've not thought to mix the two!

In service rifle competition, we're shooting deliberate, precisely aimed shots. The M14 design two stage (which the AR two stages are based on) allow for full sear engagement during the first stage (for safety's sake) but gets you to a hairs edge 2nd stage where your engagement is minimal and allows for a crisp and lighter release.

I've never thought of how that would translate to hunting because there are so few after market options for my preferred M700 and M70. I have a Medesha for the M70 that sits uninstalled because it requires irreversible grinding to install...and it turned out to not be what I call a "true" military style two stage where it doesn't appear to have greater sear engagement on the 1st stage (I think Scott designed it for Service Rifle shooters moving over to a bolt gun and were ingrained with the 2 stage).

I'd say it depends on your hunting style and the design of the trigger. If you're still hunting or there's a chance you'll need to shoot quickly...you might not be happy with a 2 stage trigger. If it's a design where the sear engagement is the same in both stages, for myself, I'd worry about the safety as I adjusted it to a finer break.
Posted By: JPro Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/18/24
I have three bolt action guns with factory 2-stage triggers, along with various semi-autos. Most of my other rifles have single stage triggers. I've really not run into a problem with the 2-stage for hunting scenarios and greatly prefer this design over a single stage with a trigger paddle like the RAR or Savage if a manufacturer wants to put a "safer" trigger in a factory rifle while still offering a fairly light pull weight.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/18/24
Will be interesting to see what the Trigger Tech 2S is like, just put a new SS on the rifle, will change it out and see what happens.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/18/24
To me a two-stage trigger vs a single stage trigger is exactly like comparing an IPA to any good beer........
Will take any good beer 10 times out of 10 over an IPA (bitter and dank with no apparent good qualities that I prefer)
Posted By: mathman Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/19/24
Please list a top-notch beer or three.
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/19/24
Originally Posted by mathman
Please list a top-notch beer or three.

Guinness

Can't stand grape fruit tasting hops
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/19/24
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I alternate between 2-stage (in U.S. milsurps), single stage (some heavy and some very scary light), single-set, and three distinctly different style double-set triggers on my hunting and target rifles. No problem, ever. I have my wits about me and my mind is keyed onto whichever trigger(s) I happen to be using.

Ya gotta be smarter than the trigger!

I'm more or less the same. I have two stage, single stage, single set and double set on various rifles. I "key in" to the trigger on whatever I am about to use by doing a bit of dry-firing to install the appropriate program in my muscle memory and away we go.

I could hazard that a two stage may offer a small theoretical advantage on a hunting rifle over a light single stage in that even with cold fingers you can find it and locate the appropriate part of your finger on it without actually making it go "bang", but in actual practice I don't know that it makes much difference. Once you take up that first pull on a two stage the second stage should be the same as that of a single stage.

Of course a set trigger's a different creature - once set you only need to give your fingertip the slightest touch on it to fire. I quite like them, especially double set, but YMMV.

I might also say that I know people who are far more fussy about their triggers than me. I've always considered that a bloke should be able to adapt himself to whatever he's got if he's to consider himself truly competent.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/19/24
We'll see, nothing to lose by giving it a try. Still waiting on the stock from McM so not in a particular hurry.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/19/24
Once upon a time I did not like them, but now that I'm used to them, they don't bother me at all. The RRA triggers that I have on some AR's work very well, and I'd highl'y recommend them. I have three Howa's with the HACT trigger, a two stage, and after working on them, they are a very good trigger. The key is to use them, a lot.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/20/24
Originally Posted by ChrisF
In service rifle competition, we're shooting deliberate, precisely aimed shots. ... If you're still hunting or there's a chance you'll need to shoot quickly...you might not be happy with a 2 stage trigger.

I missed this yesterday. I am surprised to read that your Service Rifle competition is all deliberate. I had understood it to include snap and rapid serials. It certainly does here, both in civilian Service Rifle competition and in military qualification and skill at arms shoots, in all of which I have participated (the military shoots admittedly a good while ago). We also have double snap (two quick shots on a pop-up target) and movers in all of these.

FWIW I've never found a two stage trigger any sort of disadvantage for these, nor for quick shots when hunting. YMMV.
Posted By: las Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/20/24
Hate them. If you are gonna do it, do it. Make up your mind!
Posted By: Buckstopper Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/20/24
If you're still hunting or there's a chance you'll need to shoot quickly...you might not be happy with a 2 stage trigger.
I have shot 2-stage triggers all my life. It's not something I think about. I will submit that due to practice, that the process of pressing the trigger becomes muscle memory. Shooting quickly with a 2-stage is the same process as shooting deliberately, only faster. Under stress, I don't want to introduce another variable. And, if you are off a little bit, the outcome in that situation, is the same.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/20/24
I don’t even think about it. My finger detects which type on initial contact and if there’s slack I take it to the wall. Autos are an interesting problem as the reset lies between the wall and the beginning of the slack and riding it seems to be how you shoot fast. I ain’t very fast…..
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/21/24
I like two stage triggers but not enough to change out triggers on hunting rifles. What I can't stand, though, is double set triggers. I had a Mannlicher M1903 with double set triggers. Without setting the back one, the trigger pull was about 8 pounds. The set trigger made the front one a hair trigger. I had that rifle modified to have a single stage trigger.
Yes likewise. A two stage trigger has its application for a target rifle but I couldn’t see myself using one for hunting.
And I too dislike two trigger set jobs. The last Brno 22 hornet I had was retrofit to a timney sportsman which was a huge improvement.
Posted By: ChrisF Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/21/24
Originally Posted by dan_oz
In service rifle competition, we're shooting deliberate, precisely aimed shots. ... If you're still hunting or there's a chance you'll need to shoot quickly...you might not be happy with a 2 stage trigger.

I missed this yesterday. I am surprised to read that your Service Rifle competition is all deliberate. I had understood it to include snap and rapid serials. It certainly does here, both in civilian Service Rifle competition and in military qualification and skill at arms shoots, in all of which I have participated (the military shoots admittedly a good while ago). We also have double snap (two quick shots on a pop-up target) and movers in all of these.

FWIW I've never found a two stage trigger any sort of disadvantage for these, nor for quick shots when hunting. YMMV.

In NRA/CMP Highpower, we have two "Rapid Fire" stages (10 rounds standing to sitting at 200 yards and standing to prone at 300 yards, each with a reload), but they're more sustained fire with 60 and 70 second time limits respectively. Take a look on Youtube. Realistically only the first rounds out of of the mag are two-stage because many experienced competitors will release the trigger just enough after the first shot to reset the hooks, then its effectively a single stage from there.

We have other disciplines for what I call the "go fast" crowd. Three gun is one that comes to mind. Those folk tend to like single stage triggers.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/23/24
I have a Weatherby Vanguard s2 which comes from the factory with a 2stage HACT trigger. I really like it.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Two-stage triggers? - 01/23/24
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I have a Weatherby Vanguard s2 which comes from the factory with a 2stage HACT trigger. I really like it.
Nice!
© 24hourcampfire