Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
257Bob Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm wondering if there are any practical or accuracy advantages with a two-stage trigger on a hunting rifle (deer, elk, etc...). Never tried one so would be interested in feedback from actual users. Thanks!

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I alternate between 2-stage (in U.S. milsurps), single stage (some heavy and some very scary light), single-set, and three distinctly different style double-set triggers on my hunting and target rifles. No problem, ever. I have my wits about me and my mind is keyed onto whichever trigger(s) I happen to be using.

Ya gotta be smarter than the trigger!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/17/24.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
257Bob Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good stuff, thanks!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have no problems whatsoever with 2 stage triggers. Most of the best scores I have ever shot in NRA High Power competition were shot with well tuned 2 stage.
I can not help but notice that many people who will call 2 stage as unuseable, will wax poetic on the glories of the Savage Accutrigger. Hmm.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

257Bob Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've found that I shoot my open-grip Win 70s better in the field than I do my newer Rem clones with Trigger Tech triggers with more vertical grip stocks. I shoot them well at the range but not as smooth when hunting and trying to determine why. May try a two-stage to see if "engaging" the trigger makes a difference. Most of the hunting-shooting I do is close range, more reactionary than deliberate so I'm gonna need to work on it with these newer rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
contrary to what many tell you about being surprised about the trigger break. I do my best shooting when I KNOW when the trigger is breaking. the problem with a single stage for me is I keep pulling, pull pull, then yank=miss. if the gun is on a steady rest, single or 2 stage don't matter. its field shooting where I greatly prefer 2 stage. usually off a detached bipod/shooting sticks. with 2 stage I can take up the slack and at the right moment seemingly without thinking the trigger breaks when all the checks are marked in my brain.

Really about the only situation I prefer single stage is off hand shooting at jackrabbits that are are running.

as for AR triggers, I like 2# takeup 1# break for the shooting stick style shooting. ie called coyotes. on my 2 stage triggers used for jackrabbits its a lighter takup and a heavier break, so the opposite. single stage would be fine, but often I use that AR for other things and I don't put a single stage trigger in it. short answer. it depends!!

257Bob Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
cumminscowboy, "its field shooting where I greatly prefer 2 stage. usually off a detached bipod/shooting sticks. with 2 stage I can take up the slack and at the right moment seemingly without thinking the trigger breaks when all the checks are marked in my brain" my thoughts exactly but untried for me, will give it a try on my current build but I've already bought and installed single-stage trigger so I'll put it on the side and see how I like the 2S.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
my milsurps are pretty good trigger-wise, but there is always an exception. i had a 1944 '98 Mauser that had a horrible trigger. i took the trigger apart (springs, sear, etc) and cleaned it. next step was the inside of the bolt that needed cleaning. i put it all back together and i still had a horrible trigger. i got a Dayton Traister trigger and Wolff rifle service pack with a 26lb striker spring and now it is 4lbs of pull on the trigger.

my Husqvarna m46 either had a guy or a gunsmith stone it and it is awesome. the first stage is about 8 or 9 lbs to take it to the second stage. to break the 2nd stage is about 2 1/2 - 3 lbs pull. that's about what my sons' have on the Timney trigger (93 & 98 Mauser).

my hunting rifles are one stage and they are pretty good, but the one on the Remington m14 is around 7 - 8 lbs. i like 3lbs but i will go up to 5 lbs.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I like a 2 stage very much and on really cold hunts when fingers are numb, give me a two stage trigger every time. On mild days, a single set is marvelous!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think a target grade 2 stage could be very useful for hunting when adjusted to suitable pull weights. I have not hunted with one though.
For target shooting I much prefer the light pull 2 stage triggers (Anschutz and CG Extreme) installed on my M70 and 40X target rifles over my light pull weight single stage (Jewell). They can be easily be adjusted to a combined pull weight for both stages of less than a pound if you wish, or up to maybe 4 pounds combined weight. Geissele made their Super 700 trigger that may still be available on dealer shelves. It has a fixed shoe which may work better in the field.

I do not believe the two stage Timney referenced in the links is a true two stage "lever" design, but rather a hybrid single stage with two springs.

Last edited by MikeS; 01/17/24.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
257Bob Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I have no problems whatsoever with 2 stage triggers. Most of the best scores I have ever shot in NRA High Power competition were shot with well tuned 2 stage.
I can not help but notice that many people who will call 2 stage as unuseable, will wax poetic on the glories of the Savage Accutrigger. Hmm.

I like my 2 stage triggers on my AR's and semi auto pistols, not my "hunting" rifles. Of course, the OP stated "hunting" rifles. I don't think he mentioned competition rifles anywhere in his thread, but some out you guys are mentioning them. A well tuned single stage set at 2.5 pounds work for my needs, when hunting.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
i don't see any significant advantage to 2 stage triggers for hunting. But I use them in the AR-15's that I shoot in action matches and some of the shots involved require considerable precision. So I see no reason why they would not work for hunting.

As long as the trigger has a light crisp release, a two stage should be fine for hunting, but again, I don't see an advantage either.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

That's interesting! Didn't realize that Triggertech made a two-stage trigger... Thanks!

I've used two stage triggers on military surplus rifles, AR's, and a match rifle which was a Model 70 Win set up with a Medesha two-stage trigger. It was sweet. They work for target or hunting, just fine.

Guy

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have honestly come to like the 2-stage trigger in the Weatherby Vanguard. The “wall” before the break stage is solid and I was able to adjust the final stage down to around 3 pounds. Wasn’t sure I would like it but I do.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have used 2-stage triggers a lot, both "traditional" military models on various older bolt-actions, and newer, lighter, crisper models on both AR-15s and various bolt-actions.

The biggest deal I've noticed is that using a wide variety of triggers--especially 2-stage--can result in occasional surprises when switching between rifles you haven't fired for a while....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have grown to prefer the 2 stage on rifles that i have light trigger pulls on.
I typically set up my better rifles at 8 and 16 oz.
So far i prefer the Calvin Elite 2 stage

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I tend to like my 3# triggers on my 700's but have had people shoot them and tell me it went off on it own. 5# 0n my mod 70 and I do like it better than the 3# triggers. My favorite trigger I don't have a clue what its set at. 1903 Springfield sporterized by Paul Jaeger in 1945. It's the military two stage but cleaned up really really nice. Seems to me that the takeup loads my finger nicely and the over travel seem to eliminate jerking. Love that trigger! Don't confuse this with the standard military issue trigger's, world of difference!

257Bob Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Great feedback, thanks to all!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,189 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,931
Posts18,479,931
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.