Home
MD,

Seems like most of your personal bird dogs have been labs, or lab crosses. Ever owned a pointing breed dog?

If you were gonna start one last pup, what type and from where?
I'm not Mule Deer but after owning GSP's I'm not interested in any other breed.
Word.
Have hunted behind some remarkable GSPs. But have hunted behind many more that I felt sorry for the dogs and the owners...

Never wanted to hunt with a dog for a half hour, and then hunt for a dog for a half day...
I'll add that probably the most productive gun dog I've ever seen was a big built female GSP rescue from a pound. Suzie probably weighed 75 lbs, but she was a crafty old girl who knew wild rooster pheasant, quail, and creek bottom mallards. Her owner took her everywhere he went, when he wasn't working. And the guy only worked so he could hunt and fish. Not lazy, in the least, but focused on what he considered important

Same guy had 2 of the 3 best GSPs I've ever seen
I had English pointers for 25 years. They run big, not for everybody. We hunted from daylight to dark, usually had 8 to 10 dogs. It’s warm in Texas. We would run a pair 2 hours, swap out for another pair, usually run them twice a day. We would stop long enough to eat a sandwich at lunch, go again until dark. I had a bunch of day lease places I could hunt back then. I miss quail hunting, don’t miss taking care of those dogs every day. I had them in a kennel, washed the cshit into a trough, from trough to septic tank. I don’t know what dog food costs now, but I went through a lot of dog food in a month. I fed them Purina Hi-Pro, gave them a 1/2 CC of ivermectin each month. I had some live 15 years. There is no way I could have afforded heart worm pills for that many dogs.
Deutsch Kurzhaars = breeding proven dogs for performance results.
I've had just wonderful dogs over the years, a couple labs early on, GSPs, GWHP, and AWS plus I was a Spaniel hunt test judge for a number of years. The very most important part of having a good bird dog is training. That said they know how to hunt making the a decent hunting companion is what is important. I'm getting older and would want a bird dog that be a good companion. For me for my last dog would be a field bred English Cocker, more than adequate for my waterfowl hunting, finding quail here in the SW or chasing upland birds in the midwest. My days of running one dog in the morning and another in the afternoon are gone , now I hunt little pockets of cover .
Originally Posted by johnw
MD,

Seems like most of your personal bird dogs have been labs, or lab crosses. Ever owned a pointing breed dog?

Realistically, how much time and space do you have/are you going to spend at it? I grew up in central ND during the heydays of CRP and immense pheasant numbers. We had labs and they worked for everything upland and waterfowl one wants to chase. Our neighbor (whom we hunted with almost every weekend) had a couple of shorthairs and they worked differently but no better/worse than the labs. 2000 I got a new job and hunted with a whole different group of guys using English Cockers and summer '01 I dumbed into an amazing deal on an 18Mo old finished English Cocker.

I hunted that EC w/dad's and several other buddy's labs, his neighbor's GSP, a buddy's GSP, and another buddy's GWP. They all worked because they were all trained. Dad ended up getting a cocker and going away from labs. He didn't waterfowl hunt anymore and the cocker was an easy and small package to manage, he even let him be in the house (labs were 100% outside dogs). My 3rd cocker is 4 and laying on his bed next to my desk as I type.

4 friends have Puddle-pointers, they work well. One of the Pudelpointer owners also has a fairly large Drathaar and it's probably the "Gamest" dog I've hunted behind. 2x while out for a daily "run" for exercise he's retrieved 2 coyotes that he ran down. 1 was dead, the other was very disoriented. I also saw some video of the big D breaking a LOT of ice to get to a wounded Swan, then break a bunch more on the way back with a reasonably lively swan flopping about. That D runs big, but, you can also hunt him on nothing more than a fence-row through stubble for huns.

I know 2 guys that have small Munsterlanders and dearly love them, but, I've never gotten the chance to see them afield.
MD,

I have never owned a pointing dog, but have hunted over a bunch of 'em since starting to hunt upland birds 58 years ago--which is also when I started waterfowl hunting. At that time my primary hunting mentor was a guy named Norm Strung, who was just starting to make a living as an "outdoor" writer. As I did early in my writing career, he hunted big game and fished a lot, along with hunting upland birds and waterfowl. At that time he had a pair of Brittany spaniels and a Lab, but within a few years decided to just use the Lab, because using one all-around dog worked much better between all his other pursuits.

Which is partly why I started out with a Lab, at age 19. The other reason is my first wife's mother gave me a black male, part of a pair of males from the same litter. (She gave the other to her husband.) I knew little about dog training from Norm, and learned some more from various books, and when Gillis was six months old he flushed the first covey of upland birds he ever smelled, and nicely retrieved the two sharptailed grouse I shot. (He was also relatively small and lean, weighing around 65 pounds at his peak, which helped with his endurance in the field.)

Eventually he flushed and retrieved every upland bird in Montana, after I moved to the western end of the state. We have around a dozen legal species.

He flushed and retrieved a bunch more over the 13 years he lived, partly because that first wife was an enrolled member of the Fort Peck Reservation in northeast Montana--and her grandfather was an avid hunter and angler. The marriage brought me the same rights to hunt as tribal members, and since Ben was retired and I was starting to make OK money writing so didn't need a full-time job, we hunted a lot together, and that part of Montana has excellent upland and hunting. (Or it did back then. It has since been "discovered" by hunters from other states.) There were also no "closed" season or bag limits, and one fall I killed 66 sharptails, along with various other upland birds including Hungarian partridge, pheasants and sage grouse--along with a variety of ducks and Canada geese.)

Anyway, I eventually got divorced, but still had Gillis when I met and married Eileen. By that time he'd started pointing quite a few upland birds, especially pheasants--as many Labs do as they age. After we had to put him down I didn't even think about getting anything except a Lab. Found a chocolate male through a friend, whose parents weighed 65 and 70 pounds. He grew up to be right around 100 pounds when lean and mean, but was big even we got him as a 3-month-puppy, the reason we named him Keith, in honor of Elmer--because he was a "big-bore boy." He couldn't hunt upland birds early in the season unless they were near water, because he got too hot--but was the best waterfowl (especially goose) dog I've ever had.

Keith also hunted until 13, and around that time we got invited to hunt quail with a guy in southern Arizona who was a bird-hunting guide, dog breeder and pointing-dog trainer who was good enough that people as far as away as England shipped him dogs to be trained. He had around a dozen Llewellin setters for upland hunting, but also guided waterfowl hunters, especially in the Midwest where the spring snow-goose season had started, so also had one Lab, a male--which was kept in a second kennel, separated from the setters by a chain-link fence.

One night around New Year's Eve the Lab and one of his female setters had a party, apparently through the fence, and soon she had 11 puppies. He kept two, and gave rest away--including a male to us, because he knew Keith had recently passed. He said, "You NEED this dog, he's a GOOD boy." He was six months old, because our friend always kept pups until that age so they'd be socialized, and so he came to Montana. We named him Gideon, after a really good tracker we'd hunted with in Namibia, and Gideon eventually got to hunt birds from Alberta to Arizona, and the U.P of Michigan to Oregon.

This was because both Eileen and I were assigned books around 2000, mine Shotguns for Wingshooting, and Eileen's Upland Bird Cookery. So we put around 12,000 miles on our pickups to both field-test shotguns and collect kitchen specimens for the cookbook. Consequently Gideon got to hunt 11 species of upland birds in four months, and did really well. In fact in two of the places we hunted, the Sand Hills of Nebraska (primarily for prairie chickens) and the U.P. of Michigan (primarily for woodcock, but also for ruffed grouse--though we also have plenty in Montana) some of the other hunters asked if they could hunt with Gid and us. He wasn't quite as good a retriever as a pure-bred Lab, but could go all day.

After Gideon we bought a female chocolate Lab from a local breeder, who'd bought her partly as a show dog--but her ears turned out to be too short. We bought Lena at 18 months, and had to go through a "trial" before Nola would sell her to us. Nola lived on a ranch, where we went for a walk with her, Lena and couple of Nola's other Labs around a hayfield. After a few hundred yards, Lena stuck her nose in the air started tracking a scent toward the middle of the field. The other two Labs followed, looking puzzled--until after around 300 yards Lena put up a covey of Huns. She has the best nose of any Lab I've hunted with, and has hunted and retrieved every upland bird in Montana, along with plenty of ducks and geese.

Anyway, will probably get another Lab, due to all the above reasons, but am thinking of a "miniature" Lab, which grow up to around 35-50 pounds--mostly so I can lift the dog more easily as I age. Have some info on good breeders, so we'll see.
99% of a dogs life will be NOT hunting. All those pointing breeds while better hunters marginally than a lab, maybe. frankly suck as family dogs. They are too high strung and just too wiggy. Buddy had a puddle pointer and it’s a total pos of a dog that he wasted $2500 buying. Hunted over all of em, Brittany’s, gsp’s etc at the pheasant farms. Give me my black lab that points all day long and twice on sundays over those bread for only hunting dogs.

I also feel the rage right now of adding poodle to the bread is very unwise. It creates a dog that is far less predictable in its temperament and intended purpose. Basically more likely than not you end up with a mut that is worthless.

Keep it simple just get a frikken Labrador!
Great story John. Thanks!
Wild Montana birds
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Life at home

Everyone of my dogs were as great in the house as in the field and lived in my vans with me. This guy liked to crawl in the bunk at 5 AM, one(AWS) liked to steel the blankets and make a nest on the floor. They learn when to turn it on and not.
Cool recollection of your dogs, MD. And good luck to you on the next one.

I have and am considering a French Brittanie or possibly a WPG.

Or... Like most of my previous dogs, maybe another Lab...
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
99% of a dogs life will be NOT hunting. All those pointing breeds while better hunters marginally than a lab, maybe. frankly suck as family dogs. They are too high strung and just too wiggy. Buddy had a puddle pointer and it’s a total pos of a dog that he wasted $2500 buying. Hunted over all of em, Brittany’s, gsp’s etc at the pheasant farms. Give me my black lab that points all day long and twice on sundays over those bread for only hunting dogs.

I also feel the rage right now of adding poodle to the bread is very unwise. It creates a dog that is far less predictable in its temperament and intended purpose. Basically more likely than not you end up with a mut that is worthless.

The pudel was added to the pudelpointer a long time ago...

I like mine. He does okay in the field and great in/around the house. Best pet I've ever had.

To the OP, I think it all depends on what type/style of hunting you want to do most. First thing I would do as you are looking into breeds/litters is start research locations and sources of birds for training. All breeds will need that! My dog is 8 so I am doing a bit of thinking about the next one. I have an affinity for dogs with beards so am leaning hard towards another pudelpointer, a drathaar or wirehaired pointing griffon.
I have a pair of GSP’s. 12 months apart from same parents. They are both high strung, but with the kids the get lots of exercise. Both sleep with kiddos and are basically lap dogs 95% of time. But both with also hunt all day and be rearing to go do it again tomorrow. They have quirks but all dogs do. These are my first bird dogs so while I’m happy, I’m not sure if there is better out there. The youngest is at a trainer now (Dokken) doing their intermediate course. Was up there a week or so ago checking it out and more than happy.

While I get guys training their own, we didn’t have time or experience. I’m happy with the money spent and both dogs had upwards of 300 birds last year between wild and preserve. The initial investment on the training spread out over lifetime of dog is about the cost of a premium flat of shells a year. And having a dog that can hunt better than me is worth it in my mind.

When something happens to these I’m not sure what we will go too. A good friend has English setters and they are great hunt behind, and another had pudelpointers that are exceptional
I mentioned in my previous post that I've hunted over a lot of pointing dogs over decades, both those of friends I've hunted with, and when I've been invited on "industry" hunts in other states. My Labs have generally gotten along well with them, especially Lena, who instinctively "backed" both the GSPs belonging to a buddy who passed away a couple years ago, and the Deutsch Drahthaars of another. But the one that might be the most interesting was a redbone hound in Alabama that did a great job of pointing bobwhites.

On an industry hunt in western Idaho, near the Oregon line, one of the guides had a blue heeler that performed great as a flusher/retriever.
Have hunted behind some remarkable GSPs. But have hunted behind many more that I felt sorry for the dogs and the owners...

Never wanted to hunt with a dog for a half hour, and then hunt for a dog for a half day...

We have a lot of GSP’s here in SW GA. The old saying is they’re either the smartest dog you’ve ever had or the dumbest, there is no in between. I got a beautiful pup years ago. Her daddy was a National Field Champion. She was as dumb as a rock. Seen others that’ll just blow your mind.

I stick with my labs…love em.
Mornin, WIREHAIR ........ GWPGUY. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I mentioned in my previous post that I've hunted over a lot of pointing dogs over decades, both those of friends I've hunted with, and when I've been invited on "industry" hunts in other states. My Labs have generally gotten along well with them, especially Lena, who instinctively "backed" both the GSPs belonging to a buddy who passed away a couple years ago, and the Deutsch Drahthaars of another. But the one that might be the most interesting was a redbone hound in Alabama that did a great job of pointing bobwhites.

On an industry hunt in western Idaho, near the Oregon line, one of the guides had a blue heeler that performed great as a flusher/retriever.

That's interesting about the redbone hound and the blue healer.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

My current flushing dog is an Australian Shepard/Pittbull mix. He has outperformed the labs I started with years ago in the field and at least as well as the field bred springers I've owned in all but water work and I would consider that a push with the springers. The labs might have benefitted from the better training I can now provide but even then they would match the mix at best. He was kind of a "rescue" as the mother, the Aussie side, was owned by someone who used them to work stock and compete. She was giving them away. He is now 12 and showing his age.

Otherwise, I am a pointing dog person. I normally have 3-4 on hand but am down to one in the house and two placed with relatives. I've owned or kept Pointers, English Setters, GWPs, Large Meunsterlanders, WPGs, shorthairs, Viszlas, and probably another breed or two I don't recall off hand. They have all been at least decent in the house even though they also spent/spend a fair bit of time in outside kennels. Obedience is the key to a dog that is good in the house as well as outside. My Pointer was a field trial washout that had not been inside a house for nearly 2 years. He was housebroken in a week and soon claimed the corner Lazy Boy as his whenever inside. He could turn it off when inside but going out the door flipped his switch. Being able to hunt birds literally just outside the door probably didn't help. Had to keep him on a chain or under constant supervision if just letting him out as he would be gone if he scented birds or a coyote.
For me I was always more of a waterfowl, pheasant kind of bird hunter than a grouse hunter. A yellow lab was the best breed that I had for disposition with a trouble free coat. The springer and cocker were lots higher strung and with that long softer hair, caught every thistle, burdock or picker that they went near. They both shed enough to raise the height of the carpet.
^lab^
Mule Deer, here is the best list I can create of Montana's available upland bird species:

1. Sage grouse
2. Sharp-tailed grouse
3. Spruce grouse
4. Dusky grouse
5. Spruce grouse
6. Ruffed grouse
7. Gray partridge
8. Merriam turkey
9. Ring-neck pheasant
10. Chukar partridge
11. Valley quail

You are correct... almost a dozen species!

As far as the OP's original question, I've had labs, GSPs and English setters for upland hunting. With two middle aged dogs now, I probably only have two more puppies left in my upland career, and one of them (maybe both) will be a GSP.
We could probably also include mourning dove (even though they're classified as "migratory") and collared doves--which have become more common in many areas than mourning doves. They started showing up in Townsend a few years ago, and mostly stuck around town until the past couple years, when I've seen and shot them in more areas outside of town.
Years back I had an Airedale that could really find game (quail, pheasant, grouse, rabbits).
He never learned to point, so you had to kinda play his game. Was really good at retrieving also.
Even fetched a few ducks.
I miss having a dog, but getting to state of life where they don't fit in full time very well.

Remembering that line--"Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes"
I have had GSP for close to 50 years and most have been great dogs but a couple have been not so good but were great house dogs in their own right. I have friends with English Setters and after a day of grouse hunting they spend hours combing the burrs, sticks and assorted junk out of there coats. Add in areas that have ticks (the U.P. ) and a long haired dog is a pain.
For an all around hunting dog/family companion IMHO you just can't beat a GSP. I'll never be without one even if I get to old and rickety to hunt.
My sister and niece just got new dogs, apparently Uncle Tom had his good friend keep his very nice lab for the weekend at her horse barn where she happened to have an Australian Shepherd. Well, the Aussie came in heat and the lab obliged and soon puppies arrived. Sister and niece took a female and male, I was with them in UT over the weekend, mostly look like labs with the slightest aussie coloration, really great dogs but not known if they will hunt. I'd gladly take the female home any day!

I have two Dachshunds that we are very found of but if I were looking for another dog, a small-bodied female would be my #1 choice!

+1 on the poodle stuff. Adding poodle blood to otherwise good breeds is creating a bunch of nondescript idiot dogs. Keep a pointer a pointer.
Originally Posted by bugs4

+1 on the poodle stuff. Adding poodle blood to otherwise good breeds is creating a bunch of nondescript idiot dogs. Keep a pointer a pointer.

Apparently quite a few posters are unaware that poodles were originally bred as hunting dogs, even before the widespread use of firearms. Of course, those genetics have been watered-down in the past century or so, but my father's brother Larry bred full-sized poodles from the late 1950s to 1970s, and hunted with them. They worked very well....
I don't think anyone is adding poodle to pointer on any regular basis today in effort at achieving a bird dog. The pudelpointer is as much a specific breed and came about in much the same way as the draht, the gsp, or the weimer. And as far as I know, most of this activity took place in the 19th century.
What's that? Like maybe (I'm guessing) 60-80 dog generations ago?
He didn't breed dogs, but I too, had an uncle by marriage who hunted with standard poodles. I remember one as a pretty danged good dog
I don't think anyone is adding poodle to pointer on any regular basis today in effort at achieving a bird dog. The pudelpointer is as much a specific breed and came about in much the same way as the draht, the gsp, or the weimer. And as far as I know, most of this activity took place in the 19th century.
What's that? Like maybe (I'm guessing) 60-80 dog generations ago?
You are correct about the pudelpointer history. IIRC, the pudelpointer was one of the breeds used to develop the drahthaar. NAVHDA results show PPs scoring pretty darn well on average. I know I really like mine. Thinking I may get another...
My grandfather had a German Shepard farm dog who was a great pheasant dog, back when we had quite a few more pheasants around. Didn't retrieve them though. We have had Weimaraners and vizslas and I really like those dogs. My current vizsla is 11 and might be the last dog I have...who knows

The owners are to blame, not the breed! Way too many guys buy a hunting dog and keep it in a kennel and never work with dog until they take it out for opening day. Let the screaming and yelling begin! I have had GSP for 50 years, but have never breed a litter because it is hard to find good owners. Big hat, no cattle! I've seen way too many dogs locked up in a kennel for 15 years and hunted 25 days.
Don't care what breed you buy, you risk getting a bad dog. I've had a bunch of shorthairs, number of pointer's and a couple. E. Setter's and today I have Red Setters. Easiest to work with were the Shorthairs and Red Setter's. Accident getting into Red Setters. Went to Washington to judge a shooting dog stake and saw my first Reds. Beautiful dogs and one gave the best performance I've ever seen at a trial. I bought a pup out f her next litter and never looked back. Always though my last dog would be a shorthair but looks like a Red Setter now! Hair not as soft as my E Setter's were and they don't load up with burrs as bad. Hair all over is much shorter than E Setter's and much easier to maintain. Much smarter and much more biddable than AKC Irish Setter's. I've also trained a few Brittany's and you might look there. Looking at AKC dog's it's best to avoid those with Ch in front of their name, show champions. While some can hunt more aren't worth feeding, bunt been bred out of them. One exception might be the Brittanys. The Brittany club of America used to require a show at field trials to keep the instincts strong. Unfortunately I don't think the same thing happened at shows. One of my favorite dog's I ever trained was in fact a Brittany! Other breeds are certainly worth looking at, just beware of show breeding only! What you get out of any well bred field dog will depend on your training more than anything. I would if I were you avoid Pointer's completely. Some can be taught to hunt closer but the majority run huge! That said I saw a young female years ago that would not run big, they do exist! You might do yourself a favor and go to some field trials and watch some breeds that might intrest you. Word of caution, watch the gundog stakes, all age can be renegades! Dood place to go watch would be shoot to retrieve trials, NSTRA. NSTRA has dogs much more inclined to be hunter's than AKC or Amer Fld, that is if you want a hunting dog. AKC and Amer Fld both sides glorify the All Age dog and they suck to hunt over.
He didn't breed dogs, but I too, had an uncle by marriage who hunted with standard poodles. I remember one as a pretty danged good dog

The way I understand it about Poodles is they were water dog's used on ships. I don't know if that true or not but they certainly have a coat for it. Also that standard poodle hair cut is the result of trimming to protect joints in cold water. Myself I would also avoid Poodle Pointer's. I have read no where that poodles were ever bred to be hunter's and I have only ever seen one of them. To many well bred dogs out there that have been being bred for a long time to be bird dogs to go with something like a Poodle Pointer. Might say the same about the pointing lab. Labs make great retriever's and a lot of them make good flushing dogs but, they were bred to be retriever's! Buy a breed bred to do what you want it to do!
Originally Posted by DonFischer

The way I understand it about Poodles is they were water dog's used on ships. I don't know if that true or not but they certainly have a coat for it. Also that standard poodle hair cut is the result of trimming to protect joints in cold water. Myself I would also avoid Poodle Pointer's. I have read no where that poodles were ever bred to be hunter's and I have only ever seen one of them. To many well bred dogs out there that have been being bred for a long time to be bird dogs to go with something like a Poodle Pointer. Might say the same about the pointing lab. Labs make great retriever's and a lot of them make good flushing dogs but, they were bred to be retriever's! Buy a breed bred to do what you want it to do!
I am surprised as someone as well versed in dogs that you'd spell and say that about pudelpointers.

Again, for the folks in the back:
https://projectupland.com/hunting-dogs/pudelpointer-the-complete-versatile-hunting-dog-history/
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
Poodles came from Germany as hunting dogs, over four hundred years ago. They have been used as such every since! The off or down breeds, miniature and toy, are the result of people wanting, smart clds.
Originally Posted by DonFischer
] The way I understand it about Poodles is they were water dog's used on ships.

That's how Labs originated....
its not that poodle is a bad dog, its that when crossed IMO it produces a result that is less predictable. I think it creates a dog that is put together by committee, just look at the poodle crosses they aren't very predictable when they are crossed just by looks alone. same applies to temperament. the rage is these labradoddles I have never seen one that was worth a plug nickel. They all suck. My neighbor was into breeding them and she managed to convince a ton of people in the neighborhood to buy them based on their "cute" teddy bear look. ALL those dogs suck. An air headed dog that isn't even a warm companion. The argument was they don't shed. Even that many times is false, Often they do shed. had one bad Lab out of 4 crazy enough that was the one I paid the most for. The best of the hunting labs, my black pointing lab, my dad got for free. I would hunt over him over any dog I have ever hunted with, including dogs on the pheasant farms and ones buddies had, The rest have been dogs I want with me when I die.
All dogs retain some hunting instinct, no matter how much humans have messed with their breeding. They evolved as hunting animals, or would not have survived to the transition to human companions.

One example is our other dog, a male Shih-Tzu we adopted a decade ago. Willie's bigger than average, 22 pounds when lean and mean. Turned out he LOVED to hunt--not birds but cats. We have a fair-sized garden in the back yard, and local cats tend to climb the cedar-plank fence on the back of the garden, along the alley, to graze on stuff like raspberries, beans and peas--along with doing other damage.

We found early on that Willie liked to stalk along the downwind side of the taller plants, whether the rows of raspberries, or peas/beans, moving slowly along the rows until he smelled one of those darn cats. Then he'd rush up the row to flush the cat--which often ran over one of the woven-wire fences on the other side of the garden. Lena the Labrador soon learned to hang out around the outside of the woven wire, to "encourage" any cat that jumped the wire to leave our property....
Some mixed breed dogs have the best noses. We had, for many years a mixed breed boxer. That dog could "smell you think". Once I took my wife's car to the tire shop for a slow leak in the right front tire. I came home & parked her car on the carport & let the dog outside. She ran straight around to that right front tire & smelled the tire all over !!! I think she would have made a good "drug dog".
The hunting DNA is strong in our little Dachshunds even though they mostly dwell on the sofa, under blankets all day and in our bed at night!
its not that poodle is a bad dog, its that when crossed IMO it produces a result that is less predictable. I think it creates a dog that is put together by committee, just look at the poodle crosses they aren't very predictable when they are crossed just by looks alone. same applies to temperament. the rage is these labradoddles I have never seen one that was worth a plug nickel. They all suck. My neighbor was into breeding them and she managed to convince a ton of people in the neighborhood to buy them based on their "cute" teddy bear look. ALL those dogs suck. An air headed dog that isn't even a warm companion. The argument was they don't shed. Even that many times is false, Often they do shed. had one bad Lab out of 4 crazy enough that was the one I paid the most for. The best of the hunting labs, my black pointing lab, my dad got for free. I would hunt over him over any dog I have ever hunted with, including dogs on the pheasant farms and ones buddies had, The rest have been dogs I want with me when I die.
IMO, you did the pudelpointer a disservice (yes I am biased as I have one) in your previous post lumping them in with modern -oodles. They have been a very well kept breed for a pretty darn long time. Their performance, as a breed, in NAVHDA shows that.
I suspect that Cummins believes that if you have a pudelpointer you personally took a Poodle and a Pointer and bred them for pups.
Some know what they know, and informed opinion be damned.

Occasionally guilty of such, myself, so not throwing stones.
I’m a generalist hunter and have always preferred labs. Doubly so for their short hair that doesn’t pick up many burrs. You have to find the right breeding though. It seems labs being so common, have also had a lot of bad breeding and the result is a lot of Biden level intelligent labs.

If I was a strict upland hunter I am sure I’d have some sort of pointing dog but I do just enough waterfowling that I want a retriever that can also hunt upland birds.

I have seen drahthaars, GSP and several pointing dogs retrieve waterfowl just fine, but they didn’t seem optimal. Labs aren’t optimal for all day running in chukar country. Pointers of any sort aren’t optimal in 10 foot tall cattails.

I am a one dog kind of person and like to have them as companions too, which labs excel at, if they’re not of the really, really dumb variety. I think they’re the best all around breed for the reasons I explained. Plus, they just look like what a dog should look like, to me.
The best dog is someone else’s, that way you don’t have to feed and train it all year for a couple weeks use in the fall…
My last dog was a chocolate lab GSP mix. I thought it was a great combo
Every breed has its stars and washouts. Amazing that someone can say I hunted over an xyz, it stunk so they all must stink. However, it's the campfire way more often than not.

Have had nothing but English Springers and English Cockers. Birds make the Dog, and today few give their choice enough of them. Hard to beat a smaller Lab for an all-round choice.

I'l stick with Springers and Cockers....they hunt hard and travel easy. However, if I lived in some place like the Dakotas most likely I would also have a Lab.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Toby....Was a Bull Cocker....There was nothing he wouldn't chase, and was a decent fair weather Duck Dog. Quit wasn't in his DNA.

Take Merlot into a Deer blind and he will give you a heads up before you see anything....

Originally Posted by battue
However, if I lived in some place like the Dakotas most likely I would also have a Lab.

I'm really surprised that Tom, Paul, or Dan haven't brought in some Boykins.
Originally Posted by duke61
I'm not Mule Deer but after owning GSP's I'm not interested in any other breed.
Quoted for truth.
My dad had Springers and managed a few litters which were popular among local guys. His Gabby bitch was a little magician of a dog, and my pup from her, Gabe, was about as good

Seemed odd, the old man raising Springers. Him being so dry and humorless.
He did raise one male who's personalty matched his
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by battue
However, if I lived in some place like the Dakotas most likely I would also have a Lab.

I'm really surprised that Tom, Paul, or Dan haven't brought in some Boykins.

Cool little Dogs that most don’t know about. They out hunt their weight class. Not much they can’t do.
Yep!
I have had two Standard Poodles from hunting stock. They did it all . Retrieved ,flushed and pointed . They did not point as well as a GSP but could hold a bird and flush on command .Super smart dogs and easy to train .Both of mine were about 85 pounds . I kept them trimmed short and you could see they were well muscled and had endurance . The bad thing about them was they never learned to leave Porkies alone .
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
My most productive bird dog was a Brittany. My least productive bird dog was a Brittany. Both were rehoming dogs.

The first was highly trained but not fond of toddlers. The owners had two kiddos in the toddler stage.

The second was a rescue/rehoming. No training and supposedly just a year old. I suspect she was closer to three. She came along just before our son fell ill with leukemia so I didn’t get to work with like I should have. She’d hunt. Some. Point, briefly, and she’d find the bird but wouldn’t retrieve. She was a wonderful pet though. A joy to have around.

My current bird dog is an English Setter. Another rehoming at five years old. Supposedly well trained. She’s had some training. Not a bad bird dog. Wonderful house dog and pet. She’s got got some big wheels. She’s 11 now so she’s finally not ranging so far though she can get out there. She’ll hold a point until I get there but I may have to stop for a nap or two and a sandwich before I get to her.

Not sure what my next dog will be. Probably a Brittany or a pointing Lab. The wire haired pointing Griffon is a contender as well.

Ignorant wretch 🙄. Some of the posters on this thread are dumb as dog 💩
© 24hourcampfire