Home
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/03/08
What are the opinions of Jon Sundra???

I read that he resided in Western Pennsylvania for a while.........anyone know where???
He's the one that built the 7 mm wsm on a long action Ruger.Also he improved the 280 ackley improved.Need I say more.

The man can design a stock.I have a jrs laminate and it really fits me like a glove.
Posted By: wiktor Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/03/08
He used to live near me in the Kennerdell, Clintonville are. He was pretty much out in the boonies!
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/03/08
I think Sundra is a decent writer. He seems to give pretty fair gun evals and has done some good articles on useful stuff like bedding rifles. He definitely prefers anything 7mm so anytime there is a comparison he's pretty obvious at playing the numbers to make 7s look favorable.

Lou
Jon is a very smart man. I have stolen two fine ideas from his over the years: using a straight 6x scope on a general big game rifle, and using a take-down case for all travel. Both made life simpler and easier.

If you hang with Jon much you will also always be able to drink a very good glass of wine when that is appropriate.
I enjoy his work, I was interested in his 7mm JRS but just a tad to much case forming for me,, but an impressive round as it is. His articles were easy to read, and comprehend and his familiarity with firearms and ballistics were just good reading,, we could use a few more like him,, I get a good feel from Greg Rodriguez as a new gunnie to enjoy my time on the throne with,,
I'd love to meet him someday. I kinda cut my teeth on his writings. I was a 14yr old kid reading his stuff in shooting times when he 1st took his 375JRS Ruger #1 to Africa for his first Cape Bull hunt. I also read his stuff on reloading and bedding rifles and learned a lot as a new reloader and rifle tinkerer.
I'm not as big a 7mm fan as him but I still get a little nostalgic when I read his stuff. He helped get me started......................DJ
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/03/08
I too have enjoyed his writing over the years. He has a lot of knowledge especially about wildcatting which is fun to read about. I wonder if he has necked down the 300 RCM and 375 Ruger yet, to a 7 mm of course!!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jon is a very smart man. I have stolen two fine ideas from his over the years: using a straight 6x scope on a general big game rifle, and using a take-down case for all travel. Both made life simpler and easier.

If you hang with Jon much you will also always be able to drink a very good glass of wine when that is appropriate.

In this day and age of a dearth of good outdoor writers (present company excluded wink ) Sundra is one of the few writers I will stop and read his entire article. A lot of his stuff just comes across as more...relevant for me.

Casey
Posted By: GregR Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/03/08
Dakotakid,

Thanks for the kind words.

John is definitely a very knowledgeable and nice guy who really loves laminates, straights sixes, and 7 mms.
Yep, I have a 6x42 Leupold on my model 70 25-06 because of his recomendations, and it has served me well.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/03/08
Sundra, for me, is one writer I'll read regardless of the subject. I haven't always agreed with him, but he's worth arguing with. His JRS stock is a great "generic" design too, I have one on my loaner rifle and, while it doesn't fit me, it does fit everybody else I know.
Posted By: g5m Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/03/08
I have always appreciated his writing.
Posted By: djp Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/03/08
I often read his stuff in the past. One of my fav magazines was a rifle annual he wrote. Being young couldn't afford them often. Anyway I went a few years without buying one and when I bought it again it had a couple of the exact same articles in it. The most notable was a barrel shortening experiment showing changes in velocity. Very interesting the first time I read it. Kind of put me off Sundra the second time - had the same photos with very little updated...haven't read much since. Also saw him shooting/hunting on a tv show one time...not really awe inspiring.

Anyway, that is just my opinion based on limited exposure to the man...not really a fair assessment by any means.
Jon is a pretty good guy, a darned fine shot and is always a pleasure in a hunting camp. JohnB is right, Jon always seems to have an inexhaustable supply of fine wine and little black crooked cigars around ... after the gun-handling day is over, of course.

Jon's stockwork is superb, by the way.

Yeah, I've always enjoyed his writing and, even more, I've enjoyed the man. He's one of the good ones.

Steve
Posted By: DMB Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/03/08
The only issue with Jon is, I can't seem to find many of his writings available. I really don't know who he's writing for these days. He's a solid guy, with a good head and no nonsense writing. Him being a Pennsylvania guy adds many points too.. grin
I have always liked him. You have to appreciate a guy that transports his guns to the range in a snazzy Italian sports car! I also understand he is an excellent golfer.

Expat
djpepper,

The reprint of the barrel-shortening article was not due to Jon so much as the publisher he was working for. And at any rate, there have been dozens if not hundreds of barrel-shortening stories done over the years, and they all end up saying pretty much the same thing. "Updating" them would be a pretty meaningless exercise, unless the basic chemistry of smokeless powder changes drastically.
Posted By: ROE_DEER Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/03/08
I remember him pictured in an article (last SCI Magazine?), a low mounted scope BG rifle aiming, with its recoil pad 80 % above his shoulder - strange stance, OUCH!

Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/03/08
Originally Posted by SawDoctor
He's the one that built the 7 mm wsm on a long action Ruger.Also he improved the 280 ackley improved.Need I say more.

The man can design a stock.I have a jrs laminate and it really fits me like a glove.

Yep. I really like mine too.

His 7MM was a design half way between an AI & a Gibbs......
he moved the shoulder farther forward than an AI, but ended up with more neck length than the Gibbs.

Bob
I have always considered Sundra one of those 'franchise' writers. He writes a LOT Of articles for a few publications.
He seems to know what he is talking about, but IMHO, he comes across as a bit of a manufacturer's shill.
Posted By: steve1 Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/03/08
Haven't seen his byline much in recent years.For a long time he seemed to have material almost everywhere I looked.Always found him very readable,very informative,and very sensible.
Probably my favorite gun writer. I used to read over his articles religiously...especially when I got my hands on a copy of The Complete Rifleman.
Jon Sundra has published some excellent reloading and information data on the 260, the 243 and the 708 which I still use. A very good writer and I have enjoyed his articles throughout the years.
Posted By: djp Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/03/08
JB,
There is no doubt the editor was mostly responsible, but as the annual only contained Sundra's writing and was the only time I read his stuff...well, I just didn't buy it anymore. I was a huge 7mm fan as well - my loss I guess.

I guess that was my biggest beef - the article didn't have anything new so why did they put it in? If I had been buying them every year it might have been different, but for me it was one issue to the next. Anyway, hardly a significant gripe, but if you can't hack innocent people down on the internet what is the use??

The Complete Rifleman, that was the magazine!
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/03/08
The very first article by Sundra that I ever read was, "The 30-06 Is A Ballistic Has Been" in, IIRC, Shooting Times Magazine.
Right then and there I figured he didn't know his butt from a hole in the ground and I maintain that opinion to this day. He even admited that he'd never shot one and that he based his opinion from reading ballistic tables. No experience with a cartridge and it's a has been? Gimme a break! For a "has been", I notice that rifles in 30-06 are still way up there in sales, even against the wonder magnums amd wizzums. cool Guess nobody ever told the 30-06 that it was no longer viable. whistle
However, in all fairness (Me fair?)my preference in rifles is the Ruger #1 which he seemed to like for a while anyway, and I don't have any dislike for 7MM cartridges, having a few myself. I just don't think they're be all end all caliber.
If I had to be restricted to one rifle only, it would be a toss up between the .308 Win. and 30-06, and probably the latter.
Guess I'll just never be a member of the Jon Sundra Mutual Admiration Society. wink
Paul B.

I'm like his writing also. good written articles.

he writes a few for "Rifle Shooter" that I subscribe to.

In the latest issue, My/June 2008, he has a article on necking up the Ruger 375 to a 416. interesting atricle. beat Ruger to it.
I don't trust people who spell their name that way.

John
Posted By: Brad Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/03/08
Originally Posted by Glacier_John

John

That right there is funny!

Hey, if he likes Fixed 6x's, Good Wine and Good Cigars he's ok with me...
Posted By: Huntz Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/04/08
He wrote some great articles on accurizing Ruger #1`s.I used his info to do quite a few #1`s and turn them into great shooters.AAAAAAAAAAA+++++++++++++ grin
Posted By: Idared Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/04/08
I'll read him occasionally and have enjoyed some of his articles in the past. I've also often wondered why he dislikes the 30-06 as much as he does but I recon everyone is welcome to their own opinion. His and mine differ highly on that one though!!!! laugh
I have read a lot of his work since he started writing as a young man (I was too). After he moved south to the Carolinas I emailed him tryiing to buy a reprint of an article he once wrote on slicking up a Ruger tang safety action. It was an excellent article and somehow I lost it. Anyway, he told me he had thousands of old gun magazines he had to throw away when he moved from Pennsylvania. He remembered the article but did not have a copy. I'm still looking. It was in Guns Magazine.

I have read some negative stories about him at some of the writer's get togethers put on by the gun manufacturers but I won't repeat it because I don't know if it's true and I don't know if it was from a jealous competitor who just wanted to flame him.

Thanks,
Bill
Posted By: Gun_Nerd Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/05/08
Sundra writes regularly now for NRA's Shooting Illustrated magazine.
Posted By: oldguns Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/05/08
I always look for "Sundra" articles in the mags I read..he seems to tell it like "he" sees it..and thats ok with me
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have always considered Sundra one of those 'franchise' writers. He writes a LOT Of articles for a few publications.
He seems to know what he is talking about, but IMHO, he comes across as a bit of a manufacturer's shill.

Sam....gotta agree with you here.

Bob
JS is ok with me,even if he's a 7 guy.
Posted By: djs Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/07/08
I've enjoyed his writing and have learned from him
I enjoy his stuff too.
He may be a "7" guy now but:

1. He once wrote a great article on developing a 30-06 load. Very thorough. He did a bit with pressures and actual vs theoretical BC's I liked as well.

2. At one time IIRC he was a big fan of the 300 Win Mag.

Besides, I thought a requirement to be a gunwriter was to promote one or the other relatively unpopular cartridge/rifle/scope combination. Some of them even change a couple of times.
Always enjoyed his writing. Exchanged a couple e-mails with him. Quite a gentleman.
Posted By: ROE_DEER Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/09/08
Originally Posted by ROE_DEER
I remember him pictured in an article (last SCI Magazine?), a low mounted scope BG rifle aiming, with its recoil pad 80 % above his shoulder - strange stance, OUCH!

No comments from your side?

Do you think a "masochistic" shooting position like this is normal?

Don't you think a gun writer is an "opinionator" and magazines or writers should better avoid "bad habit" pictures like this?

Or don't you reply because you think I rubbed salt in the wound (of too low mounted scopes)
Posted By: tomk Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/09/08
I enjoy reading Sundra....he brings something to the table.

Doesn't whine either...
Or don't you reply because you think I rubbed salt in the wound (of too low mounted scopes)
I didn't think it possible to have a scope mounted too low. Too high, definitely; too low, I don't think so.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/09/08
Originally Posted by Glacier_John

John

John, we need to organize a society of people who spell it correctly. grin Best, John
I just got back from a 2-day shoot in Nevada with a bunch of gun writers testing shotgun, handgun and rifle ammo. Jon was there--along with three other writers named John. It got a loittle confusing while talking, but it actually helped when we shot sporting clays and the scorekeeper didn't have to put an initial after Jon's name.
Posted By: ROE_DEER Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/10/08
Originally Posted by Bandukwallah
I didn't think it possible to have a scope mounted too low. ..

So you prefer a low mounted scope on a heavy recoiling rifle though the butt pad of this very rifle protrudes 80 % over your shoulderstop?

I just got back from a 2-day shoot in Nevada with a bunch of gun writers testing shotgun, handgun and rifle ammo. Jon was there--along with three other writers named John. It got a loittle confusing while talking, but it actually helped when we shot sporting clays and the scorekeeper didn't have to put an initial after Jon's name.

An your score was? smile

Doc
Originally Posted by ROE_DEER
I didn't think it possible to have a scope mounted too low. ..

So you prefer a low mounted scope on a heavy recoiling rifle though the butt pad of this very rifle protrudes 80 % over your shoulderstop?

I was talking about scope mounting position - low versus high - not stock fit. I prefer a stock position that places the butt in full contact with the shoulder, allows the cheek to be firmly "welded" against the comb, and allows one to have a clear view through the 'scope. For me, the ideal is to have a low mounted 'scope combined with a stock which has a fair amount of drop at heel. I do NOT like the modern American stock design which features a very straight butt stock.

While I did not see the photo that you refer to, I suspect that you may be right. The telescope perhaps should have been mounted a bit higher - in this particular case.
I too have read Jon for years. I think he is rather shrewd with his Complete Rifleman Annual. He puts it on cheap paper and charges a fortune. He has to make out quite well with it. I don't think I have missed an issue in 15 years, regardless of the high price.

He is always mentioning the percentage of lower recoil of a 7 mm vs a 30 cal across the board. Can't quote the exact number but it is one of those "rules" that will always be associated with Jon.
Posted By: ROE_DEER Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/10/08
While I did not see the photo that you refer to, I suspect that you may be right. The telescope perhaps should have been mounted a bit higher - in this particular case.

Exactly.

Your answer, which I very much appreciate, is far from the fundamental preachings of the usual suspects and low mount taliban in this forum..

Thanks.

"low mount taliban".......? Play nice now Roe.
Posted By: wiktor Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/11/08
Roe's postings always seem to be rude and arrogant.
Posted By: ROE_DEER Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/12/08
Originally Posted by wiktor
Roe's postings always seem to be rude and arrogant.

Better rude and arrogant, but honest, Madam.
Originally Posted by goodnews

"low mount taliban".......? Play nice now Roe.

"low mount fundamentalists" - feel better now?

Regards
Roe

@ all

If somebody feel insulted or offended let me know.

thanks

Posted By: wiktor Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/12/08
Would you even care Ma'am??? I believe in honesty also, but some of us are polite enough not to tell you exactly what we think of you.Try to show less arrogance and maybe be more polite. You remind me of the "doctor" in the Volkswagon commercials!
Posted By: ROE_DEER Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/13/08
Originally Posted by wiktor

1. ... some of us are polite enough not to tell you exactly what we think of you.
2. ..arrogance
3. ..the "doctor" in the Volkswagon commercials!

ad 1. I think behaviour like this is not politeness, at least in my eyes. Politeness in my eyes is to say honestly what I think and what I'm thinking.

ad 2. Please define arrocance (in my case, here on the forums), thank you

ad 3. I don't know this very character. Please explain, thanks

roe, polite?

Roe

As a "low-mount Taliban", I feel much better being called a fundamentalist. grin

Gdv
Posted By: 1B Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/13/08
I like his work too, even though, over the years he has said much of it at least once. Now, that is not hard to do if you use just your work to fill a thick annual edition with lmited advertising space over a long period of time. In fact, each annual edition is a feat of no small achievment.

And yes, the preponderance of 7mms -- from 7mm BR to 7mm STW-- in my gun safe is in part traceable to his influence. Of course, they also work well -- Jon had that right too, along with the 6x scopes.

The magazines themselves are cookie-cutter work, year to year, in terms of presentation. Same front page -- different guns-- and same shades of gray 'color' inisde. (At least they do not use combinations nof light print against dark background and split color background pages that are so damn hard on concentration and eye travel.)

Not many outlets near me carry the annual any more or they sell out fast.

IIRC Jon said in one article that he was glad to be back "home" in NC?

How do Europeans get a cheek weld with low sloping away combs on their rifles and medium to high scope positioning to accomodate the big optics they often use?

1B
IIRC Jon said in one article that he was glad to be back "home" in NC?
I did a search and it appears that he lives in Matthews, NC; that is a suburb of Charlotte.

How do Europeans get a cheek weld with low sloping away combs on their rifles and medium to high scope positioning to accomodate the big optics they often use?
A sandbag on the comb?
Posted By: ROE_DEER Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/13/08

Roe

As a "low-mount Taliban", I feel much better being called a fundamentalist. grin

Gdv

I'm so relieved - thank you much.

May you never get "scoped" with your Talib.. ahmm fundamental low mounted sighting devices ("medicus cura te ipsum", you know)

Well, I'm touched that you care Roe grin. I have scoped much but never been "scoped" myself-even with my Lott-and hope to keep it that way.

We all have different ways of doing things. Isn't it wonderful? grin

Have a great week!

Gdv
Posted By: 7mmJRS Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/14/08
To all who responded to the Jon Sundra thing:
I learned about this forum from a friend and colleague of mine, Bryce Towsley; otherwise I wouldn't have known about it. I've logged onto 24-hour Campfire only a couple of times in the past and...well, let's just say that, based on the typical comments I saw posted about gun writers, I have to say I am pleasantly surprised and somewhat humbled. I don't really get a lot of reader mail, but on those occasions when I get one that tells me I've been an influence on their life or that I've simply brought a little enjoyment or enlightenment to them, it makes what I've been doing these past 38 years more than worthwhile. This forum, therefore, is an embarrassment of riches. For all those positive postings, I am sincerely appreciative.

Now to set some things straight!

To the guy who doesn't like the way I spell my name:
It really is "John." Back in 1966 when I submitted my first article, I chose "Jon" for my pen name because, back then, it was unusual, and I wanted it to stand out from other John bylines. Today, of course, it is a common spelling.

As for the crooked little cigars, they're Parodi's, Italian Toscano-style cigars that I've been smoking for 40 years. However, like Bill Clinton, I don't inhale.

And I've driven my Lamborghini to the shooting range only once, and that was because my son was having his car serviced and had borrowed my...Honda! It won't be the last time, however.

Thank you all again.

Jon R. Sundra
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/14/08
Jon,

Welcome to the campfire. I've been reading your stuff for a while and you're one of the reasons I rebarreled a 308 to 7mm-08. The rifle is now on its second 7mm-08 barrel too. I hope you hang out for a while like your other brother John (Mule Deer).

RH
Welcome to the Fire! I hope that you will show back up regularly. As I said above you helped me get started in my beloved hobby. When I was too young to buy loaded ammo I saved up money and bought reloading equipment and yours and the late great Bob Milek's articles helped me get started. I also bedded my first rifle following your instructions.
After a couple hundred rifles later I've come a ways since then but I still remember and appreciate the people that help me get started, Many Thanks.

And BTW, which Lamboghini?................................DJ
Posted By: ULA24 Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/14/08
Welcome to the fire John. I have been reading your stuff since 1969 or so. I always thought it was enjoyable.
Posted By: bhemry Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/14/08
Jon,

We could always use the input from another gunwriter around the 'fire. Hope you'll up a log, get comfortable, and hang around.

Brent
John (aka Jon),
Good to have you with us. I always enjoyed your writings, and look forward to your input into the forum. Its good to have another "Low Scope Mount Nazi" around.
Bandukwallah
Posted By: tbear Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/14/08
You are to blame for my using Leupold 6X42 scopes & spending a lot of money on guns. I appreciate your writing.
Posted By: Landrum Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/14/08
Welcome, Jon, and don't be a stranger.

Landrum
It's a Gallardo. I looked at the Murcie but it's too big and, to my mind, not as beautiful or aggressive looking. Mine is silver, E-gear, with the transparant engine bonnet. It doesn't suck.
Originally Posted by 7mmJRS
It's a Gallardo. I looked at the Murcie but it's too big and, to my mind, not as beautiful or aggressive looking. Mine is silver, E-gear, with the transparant engine bonnet. It doesn't suck.
Pictures? Got Pictures?
Steve1: Your not looking in the right magazines! I'm Field Editor or SCI's SAFARI Magazine: Rifle Editor for SHOOTING ILLUSTRATED; Contributing Editor to AMERICAN RIFLEMAN, AMERICAN HUNTER, RIFLE SHOOTER, PREDATOR EXTREME, VARMINT HUNTER and GUN HUNTER magazines; sole author and editor of the COMPLETE RIFLEMAN, now in its 19th. year; Editor-in-Chief, MOSSBERG'S GUN ANNUAL; and as of June, Hunting Editor of a new start-up magazine called Traveling Sportsman that will specialize in exotic hunting and fishing destinations around the world. You won't find any Whitetail stories in this magazine!
Yeah, I got pictures, but I'm not sure how to go about posting them.
Posted By: ROE_DEER Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/14/08
John (aka Jon),
Good to have you with us. I always enjoyed your writings, and look forward to your input into the forum. Its good to have another "Low Scope Mount Nazi" around.
Bandukwallah

Play nice, Banduk!

BTW 1 - welcome to the 'Fire, Jon.
It's good to have another writer collegue around - even when he seems to be a low scope mount fundamentalist (you listen, Banduk?).

BTW 2: Jon, in SCI Magazine March/April p. 102 I found another picture of you, in another typical "fundamentalist" shooting position: straight stock, straight upper body, which is the reaso for only 20-25 % butt pad support (OUCH!)

BTW 3: I'm well known here for a) my bad English and n) telling it "like it is". So please excuse my Gun Boat Diplomacy "politeness" (guess I'm too old for adopting the Chinese way of smiling).

roe

Roe Deer: You are quite correct. I actually plan to use the particular picture you refer to to illustrate that a high, straight comb is not really compatible with iron sights. To get down low enough to align `em, you find yourself pulling the rifle up higher on the shoulder. I hope you'll think me a little less stupid now.
Posted By: tsquare Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/14/08
Dear Jon,

Welcome aboard, good to see an old colleague around the fire.

Tom
Posted By: Ward Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/14/08
Anyone who has a successful career as a gunwriter has done something very right. I appreciate your work over the years and your presence here. Thanks, Ward
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/14/08
Jon just wanted say welcome aboard and that I have very much enjoyed your writings for years. Matter of fact, it was an article some years back that prompted me to purchase my first laminate stocked rifle, a Remington 700 APR in 300 WM. Should have gotten Ferrari though......grin

Roy
John, I am glad you posted on my thread. Please stick around!!!
Posted By: Ol` Joe Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/14/08
Jon, It`s great to see you here. I hope you drop in often.
Posted By: wiktor Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/14/08
Jon, Just drove past you're old house to get home yesteday.Never got to actually meet you but always though it was really cool you lived in the neighborhood!! Used to see your son when he worked at Ski's market.I live one mile down river from Kennerdell on the South Tunnel road.It's nice living on the Allegheny but huntings not like it used to be around here. It's either shot out or posted! Hope all is well!!!
Posted By: 1234567 Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/14/08
I very much enjoy your writing.

Please stop by often.
Posted By: GreggH Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/15/08
Jon
Welcome to the Fire!Hope we see you here often. One article you did some years ago has always stuck and that is the one you did on your old 7mm JRS rifle and how you thought the original laminate (horizontal veneers) was ugly. I think it is more attractive the the common style of today and wish I could find one like it today.

GreggH
The only question I have for Jon Sundra is why he seemed to stop bending the bills of his ball cap in that apex like form? That was a trademark of his, or at least I've never seen anyone else do that. Heck I thought he would be able to get a patent on ball caps with the Jon Sundra Apex Bend grin . Maybe I'm the only one that noticed.
Welcometo the 'fire, Jon. Always good to widen the knowledge base. And you also have me using 6x scopes. smile
Mike
Jon-welcome to the Fire, now as a new Fire member it is your duty to get Ruger to make some really nice #1's, sans sights with super wood.

Oh and of course in my beloved 7 Mashburn Super as well.... smirk

Dober
To all who responded to the Jon Sundra thing:
I learned about this forum from a friend and colleague of mine, Bryce Towsley; otherwise I wouldn't have known about it. I've logged onto 24-hour Campfire only a couple of times in the past and...well, let's just say that, based on the typical comments I saw posted about gun writers, I have to say I am pleasantly surprised and somewhat humbled. I don't really get a lot of reader mail, but on those occasions when I get one that tells me I've been an influence on their life or that I've simply brought a little enjoyment or enlightenment to them, it makes what I've been doing these past 38 years more than worthwhile. This forum, therefore, is an embarrassment of riches. For all those positive postings, I am sincerely appreciative.

Now to set some things straight!

To the guy who doesn't like the way I spell my name:
It really is "John." Back in 1966 when I submitted my first article, I chose "Jon" for my pen name because, back then, it was unusual, and I wanted it to stand out from other John bylines. Today, of course, it is a common spelling.

As for the crooked little cigars, they're Parodi's, Italian Toscano-style cigars that I've been smoking for 40 years. However, like Bill Clinton, I don't inhale.

And I've driven my Lamborghini to the shooting range only once, and that was because my son was having his car serviced and had borrowed my...Honda! It won't be the last time, however.

Thank you all again.

Jon R. Sundra

Welcome! I've read your work for years! That Lambo looks cool in the background of range pics!

Expat
Posted By: 7mmJRS Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/15/08
Like I said: I've got pictures and wouldn't mind posting them, but I don't know how to go about it, thanks to my limited computer skills. Can anyone out there tell me how to do it?
Thanks.
Jon R. Sundra
I'd like to welcome you aboard also. I've enjoyed your work over the years, especially the COMPLETE RIFLEMAN. I hope you'll visit often and share some of your knowledge with us.

Welcome JS. I have enjoyed your work over the years. Have probably 8-10 years worth of tattered issues of the Complete Rifleman, as well as the annual Deer and Big Game Rifles, which if memory serves you've contributed to as well as JB, JH, and some of the greats that are no longer with us.

7mm-

A hearty welcome to the 'fire.

Among other sins, it was your review of the Blaser R93 that was at fault (My wife didn't buy it either) grin. I own one with three scoped barrels now.

"A 150-gr bullet at 3000 fps is most adequate for most NA game" (paraphrase mine): a pretty good and sound determination for the folks.

Anyway, have read you for years even though I presently have no No 1s or 7mms; I did once though.

Hope you catch a seat here and contribute whatever is on your mind and enjoy yourself.

Regards,
Gdv

Posted By: RDFinn Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/15/08
Jon, I'd be more than happy to help you out with this. I'll PM ya.

Roy
Posted By: 7mmJRS Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/18/08
Bandukwallah: I'm not sure this will work, but since you asked for pictures........
JRS

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I tried sending two pix, but only one showed up. Here's a try for the second one.........

[Linked Image]
I'll try one more time...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lansend Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/18/08
Lovely Lambo.
Wow, nice ride.
Posted By: ROE_DEER Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/18/08
Nice grader for gravelroads, Jon
You can't take it in the mud or put an ATV in the back of it, so what good is it? grin

Seriously, though, that's one nice ride. Thanks for sharing the pictures. When I was in college in the late 70's I dreamed of buying a Countach after graduation, but in the end I had to settle for a Datsun 280. Not a Lamborghini for sure, but it was a fun ride.
Posted By: ULA24 Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/18/08
Very nice!
Thanks for the photos. I love Italian automobiles. And glad to have you in NC.
Bandukwallah
Speaking of Italian rides:
Years ago, I worked for GKN - the folks who make CV joints, axles, etc. My colleague at the Offenbach location told be about investigating axle failures in Ferrari Berlinetta Boxers. It seems that axles were falling out (catastropic failures) shortly after new cars left the factory - 50 to 100 miles - that sort of thing.

In her investigation, she toured the plant looking for the probable cause. Everything looked fine until she walked to the end of the production line. There was a concrete pad, all covered with burned rubber. What that, she says. Oh, thats where we conduct the final inspection, they say. Ach so, she says, how do you do that? Why, we put petrol in the car (they say), start it up, let it warm up, run the engine up to redline and .......Drop the Clutch!

With a 500 hp engine, tons of torque, big grabby tires, nothing broken in - the driveline components were failing just out of sight of the factory. A more gently final inspection solved the problem.

Posted By: RickBin Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/18/08
Very nice ride!

Posted By: pointer Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/19/08
That'll do... wink
I'll try one more time...

[Linked Image]

Actually the car I recall in one of your range pics was red. Of course, I may be crazy...or senile....or just mistaken.

Expat

Where do you put the gun rack in there? grin

Gdv
Posted By: djs Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/19/08

Where do you put the gun rack in there? grin

Gdv

Roof rack??
Posted By: djs Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/19/08
Years ago, I worked for GKN - the folks who make CV joints, axles, etc. My colleague at the Offenbach location told be about investigating axle failures in Ferrari Berlinetta Boxers. It seems that axles were falling out (catastropic failures) shortly after new cars left the factory - 50 to 100 miles - that sort of thing.

In her investigation, she toured the plant looking for the probable cause. Everything looked fine until she walked to the end of the production line. There was a concrete pad, all covered with burned rubber. What that, she says. Oh, thats where we conduct the final inspection, they say. Ach so, she says, how do you do that? Why, we put petrol in the car (they say), start it up, let it warm up, run the engine up to redline and .......Drop the Clutch!

With a 500 hp engine, tons of torque, big grabby tires, nothing broken in - the driveline components were failing just out of sight of the factory. A more gently final inspection solved the problem.

Years ago, I used to be a test driver (OK, I traveled a lot and rented a lot of cars) and would regularly red-line the engine. Probably put a severe test on the car!
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/19/08
JRS,

Welcome to the fire,I have a lot of 7mm rifles because of reading your stuff,I also have two JRS sticks from Boyds that you designed.

Welcome to the Fire and come often,I like you even if you are a little silly about the 6x scope thingy,I naturally prefer variables but we can't all do everything the same. grin

Britt
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/19/08
Been reading JRS for years and happen to agree with him on calibers(7mm and 375). I will throw the 270 in there cause it's a 7mm, too! grin
Posted By: remseven Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/19/08
Americans have a tendency to do what works for them, not the rest of the world.

And, we will probably keep blundering on that way, until the border crossings are overfilled!
Originally Posted by djs

Years ago, I used to be a test driver (OK, I traveled a lot and rented a lot of cars) and would regularly red-line the engine. Probably put a severe test on the car!
On the other hand, those that survived the "Italian Tune-Up" are probably bullet-proof.
Posted By: Huntsman Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/19/08
Jon
Well this must seem a little surreal huh?
The web is quite the invention, what? LOL
Been an avid fan for lo these many years. Also a big fan of Sean's. Golf and shooting/hunting/outdoors are the two big passions.
Found out from one of your more recent articles (well too me anyway) you were here right in my back yard and never dropped by for a visit, shame on ya! I live on the Island and you did a Blackie hunt next door literally. Ah well maybe next time, eh.
Anyways really glad to see you made it here, looking forward to chattin with ya.
Cheers
Jon,

Welcome to the 'Fire! Glad to see another great gun writer here. I've read a lot of your work and have to agree with all those above. No nonsense, easy to read, and just plain savvy.

I always admired your staunch support of the 7mm's. You even managed to declare your preference for it in one of your articles on the .260 Rem and did it with style.

But then hey, I'm a 7mm guy.

Should be your tag line. grin

Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/20/08
Jon, Welcome as well. Used to get the annual and read your stories elsewhere, but don't see them locally anymore. As another said, my 7mm is a 270, but I read Jack long before Jon!
Posted By: 284Fan Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/20/08
Perhaps he is where I have adopted the straight 6X on just about all my rifles. When I was a brand new starving 2nd Lt at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in 1980 I wrote Jon an inquiry on the .223. I was building a rifle from a salvaged Rem 722 action originally made in .222. The reloading books at that time were using AR-15 as the test firearm and since my rifle was having an ER Shaw, 1 in 12 twist, 24" in length barrel installed I asked for some advise. He was writing for G&A at the time, so I wrote him C/O of the magazine. My inquiry was what load to start with the longer non AR-15 barrel? He kindly responded with a load I still shoot today, 26.5 grains of WW748 and a 50 grain Sierra with either CCI or Federal small rifle primers. I also shoot a old 700 (1962) in .280 plus a 1979 era 700 in .280AI and several .223 ...... Well credit to an enjoyable, sensable writer who I have followed for a long time. He ranks up there in my book along with John Whotters.
Posted By: Shag Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/27/08
Just saw his article on wildcatting the .375 Ruger in Rifle Shooter. I enjoyed it very much. Good read!
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
What are the opinions of Jon Sundra? �

As simply as I can say mine, A+ in every respect.
We are very Lucky to have our group of writers on here.

The Short list:

Ken Howell
John Barsness
John Haviland
Jon Sundra
Richard Mann
Bryce Towsley at least reads here...What's his handle?

Anybody I've missed

Mike
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/27/08
Welcome Jon,

We finally have a 7mm guru! cool

MtnHtr
Posted By: GreggH Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/27/08
Ready on the right
Don't forget:

Phil Shoemaker
Tom Turpin

Both are excellent writers as well. We have a gerat bunch here!

GreggH
Posted By: SU35 Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/27/08
We also have the pleasure of Greg Rodriguez of Shooting Times.

Steve Timm will always be a writer even though he thinks he is retired.

Good people.

Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Ken Howell
John Barsness
John Haviland
Jon Sundra
Richard Mann
Bryce Towsley at least reads here...What's his handle?

Anybody I've missed

several!

e g:
Aussie Gun Writer
Dan Chamberlain
Jim Dodd
Phil Shoemaker
Bart Skelton
Steve Timm
Tom Turpin
Posted By: ULA24 Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/27/08
and lets not forget me!

I am not a gun writer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!
Posted By: Gun_Nerd Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/27/08
You know, I actually did stay at a Holiday Inn Express Wednesday night, and come to think of it I've really been firing on all cylinders ever since.
Did not mean to miss anyone..Too many to keep up withgrin

Several on the list I knew where here and totally slipped my mind.

A pretty respectable who's who list going there!

Mike
Posted By: RickBin Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/27/08
Ken Oehler
Dave Petzal
Steven Dodd Hughes
Posted By: DMB Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/27/08
Rocky Raab
What I realy appreciate is the fact that these guys are just like us. Put-your-pants-on-one-leg-at-a-time, let's-get-to-work, time-to-play, time-to-hunt, time-to-shoot-the-breeze, real people. All willing to share, allwilling to learn and expand their knowledge base. We are a fortunate group.
Roe Deer
Jon Sundra is 'otay!' grin

When I started to read about guns and finally got to RIFLES, well, I was hooked.
Jon's writings were/are always informative and entertaining.
Sometimes I'd get irked with his slant on autoloaders, but somewhere along the line, he said something nice about them and everything was good in my world... wink
We share a common appreciation for the 7mm/.284 projectile.
And he's the only other guy I know of that uses the written word "helluva"!
Go, Jon!
Posted By: 1234567 Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 04/29/08
What is the 7 JRS? I suppose it is a wildcat developed by Jon R. Sundra, but it is one of the few I have never heard of.

What case is it based on?

I enjoyed the article in the latest Rifleman about wildcatting the .375 Ruger. I think a 7 M/M based on the .375 Ruger would be one of the better large capacity 7 M/M cartridges.

Probably a .270 and a .30 caliber based on the same case would rate pretty high, also.
It's basically an improved 280, with the shoulder pushed forward.
Posted By: 7mmJRS Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/09/11
I'm trying to reply to a thread entitled: "Where's Jon R. Sundra?" that a friend of mine told me about. I couldn't find the thread he was referring to because I'm a bit computer challenged, but I think (and hope) this response will get posted in the right place. The only forum I visit on a regular basis is Lamborghini-Talk, as I am an enthusiastic owner; it seems to be a more intuitive (read that easier to navigate than this one!

Anyway, I'm not sure how long ago that thread was posted, but as of today I am still alive and still writing about as much as ever. I'm just writing for some different publications that allow me to be more candid and where there is less politics involved (advertising pandering). After 22 years of writing/editing the COMPLETE RIFLEMAN, Harris Publications in New York, decided to pull the plug. I am, however, the Shooting Editor of a new publication from Harris called RIFLE FIREPOWER, a start-up magazine the first issue of which should be on newstands about now. I am also on the staff of Rifle Shooter (though not being a contract writer, it's hard for the editor to find room for my stuff). I am also the Field Editor for SAFARI, the magazine of Safari Club Int'l; a staff writer for GunHunter and VARMINT HUNTER Magazines in which I will have two or three pieces in every issue.

For you younger members out there, I started writing in 1966, and became a full-time gun writer in 1969. Over that time I have served on the editorial staff of many magazines, among them Guns & Ammo, Petersen's Hunting, Shooting Illustrated, Guns, Rifle, Handloader, Guns & Hunting, Traveling Sportsman, American Firearms Industry, Shooting Industry.... I'm sure there are a few others, but they escape me at the moment. I also contribute to several annuals.

So, you see, I am still around and hope to be for a good while yet. I have no plans to retire. I mean, retire from what? A life that has been a hoot every moment? I've lived a life that many men would kill for and no one knows how lucky I am more than me.

I want to thank all of you who have posted such positive comments about me on this thread; they are much appreciated. It simply reaffirms for me that what I've been doing these past 42 years has not been in vain. And I will try to check in here on the Campfire every so often, so it won't be another four-year interim. Promise.

Jon, I have been reading your articles since you started back in '66. Best wishes to ya!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/09/11
My nephew spells his name "Jon", it's short for Jonathan, no "h" in the long form. He has a .30-06 and he's a bad shot.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/09/11
Great seeing you here Jon.

Have always respected you and loved reading your articles, always informative!

You're a positive to the industry.

Thank you coming here and giving us an update.

Jon,

I too am a longtime fan of you and your writing. Glad you stopped by the Fire.

Please come again soon.

Steve
This has to be one of the most enjoyable threads I've read on the Fire. Thanks, everyone who contributed and here's to you Jon. Keep on doing what you do so well.

DF
Posted By: hatari Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/09/11
Jon also has an appreciation for fine wine, as I discovered some years ago hunting Anticosti Island.

At the time, Italian varietals were favored, no doubt to go with the Lambo. What are you enjoying now? I'm still hooked on Bordeaux, but glad I stocked up years ago!
Posted By: 7mmJRS Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/09/11
And thank you, Dirtfarmer, for it's guys like you who have made what I do so worthwhile.
JRS
Posted By: jwall Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/09/11
I'm trying to reply to a thread entitled: "Where's Jon R. Sundra?" that a friend of mine told me about. I couldn't find the thread he was referring to because I'm a bit computer challenged,

Anyway, I'm not sure how long ago that thread was posted, but as of today I am still alive and still writing about as much as ever.

So, you see, I am still around and hope to be for a good while yet.

I want to thank all of you who have posted such positive comments about me on this thread; And I will try to check in here on the Campfire every so often, so it won't be another four-year interim. Promise.

HELLO - Mr. Sundra:

I may not be the ONLY one who has tried to contact you, but I certainly did last yr. I googled your name and it brought me to the 'Campfire'. I posted an inquiry about you, actually a couple or so.

My handle is jwall, my name is Jerry and I'm very happy to have this opportunity. I began handloading in '75 and the first "Shooting Times" mag. I ever saw was the Sept. 1977 issue. Do you remember the cover? Remington introducing the new 8mm Rem. Mag. and you wrote the artice.

To make a LOOONG story short.. during the following yrs. you were a TREMENDOUS influence on my hunting, handloading, and gun career. (My wife' not as happy as I am) grin

I was reading you, Wooters, JOC, Hagel, et.al. and I literally could NOT wait to get my hands on the next issues of Shooting Times & Peterson's Hunting.

I NEVER expected to be able or privileged to talk w/ you, J B (Mule Deer), Dr. Howell, Dr. Ohler, and others who participate here. I truly am humbled that you have taken the time and effort to respond.

Basically I want to say "THNK YOU" and express my APPRECIATION for your knowledge, expertise, info. and instructions. I always enjoyed your articles and being in the formative years of handloading, you were EXTREMELY helpful.

smirk THANKS to you, over the years I gathered a 5mmRem RFM, 6mm Rem, 7mm RM & an 8mm RM. You caused me to spend THOUSANDS of $$$ on guns & handloading components. laugh

I'm glad you said that you'd check in periodically and I'll be watching. Glad you are alive, well, shooting, & writing still. THANKS AGAIN Jerry
Posted By: Huntz Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/09/11
Thanks for keeping us old Rifle Nuts abreast of your new digs.I will be watching for it on The News Stand!!!
Welcome to the "Campfar," ol' buddy!

Don't be a drive-by or a hit-and-run!

Come here often!

And don't shun the "Ask the Gunwriters" forum, which can often use input of the Sundra sort!
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Welcome to the "Campfar," ol' buddy!

Don't be a drive-by or a hit-and-run!

Come here often!

And don't shun the "Ask the Gunwriters" forum, which can often use input of the Sundra sort!

Dr. Ken,

Do you think Jon can take the heat, here on the Fire?

Oh well, maybe they'll treat him nice, like a respected guest, at least for a while... laugh

DF
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/10/11
Well this was a pleasant surprise. I to gotten hooked on fixed 6 x scopes on my hunting rifles and I even am hunting with a 7mm too. Like I said in the past the campfire is my favorite place on world wide web. Last couple of days been very warm near 70, need to cool off, its hunting season.
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore

An your score was? smile

Doc

Sporting Clays. I'm curious about the scores too. I've discovered and been shooting 5-stand sporting clays the last several weeks. Me and the buds (Team Stool Pigeons) gonna shoot weekly through March.

Scattergun ammo you were testing was _________. I shoot that ahem, economical Estate brand.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
� Do you think Jon can take the heat, here on the Fire? �

He doesn't have to.

Nobody has to.

Attendance here isn't compulsory.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/10/11
Welcome Mr Sundra! Its an honor to have you here, have enjoyed your work for a number of years.
I learned a couple of accuracy tricks for the Ruger #1 from Jon's writing.
I too have always enjoyed JRS's writing. Maybe not as much as Wayne VanZwoll's wink. grin though......
Posted By: 65BR Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/10/11
Read many of JRS articles thru the years, enjoyed the content and delivery, as well as his tastes in guns/optics, etc.

As a gun enthusiast and hunter, I appreciate the efforts of all the writers who shared their honest feedback of their experiences. Mine have been better for it smile
Posted By: 338Rules Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/10/11
Always found Jon's writing very interesting. I share your respect for the 7mm

I remember clearly his handwritten response to my query about a possible .338-7mmJRS wildcat - Very helpful, and cordial.

I'd like to read more about his .25 SAUM wildcat, or any other cats that Jon is working with.

I'll be looking for the new publication on the stands, or can a Canuck subscribe?

Cheers
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
� Do you think Jon can take the heat, here on the Fire? �

He doesn't have to.

Nobody has to.

Attendance here isn't compulsory.

Some heat on the Fire, now and then, isn't always a bad thing.

The interchange of ideas and comments is what makes the Fire interesting.

I'm sure Jon can hold his own, as a number of you skillfully do on a regular basis.

I look forward to his posts.

DF
Posted By: battue Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/10/11
Hey Jon,

I remember a line you put together a long time ago. To paraphrase; "A 7mm traveling at 3000+fps is a force to be reckoned with." I've found it to be true even at slightly less velocity.

Thanks for many words of practical advice that came from first hand experience.
Posted By: 4xbear Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/10/11
Welcome aboard Jon! Glad to see another writer that knows his stuff posting here. Welcome. Bear
Thanks for a lot of good info. I built (had built) a 6mm Remington because of an article you wrote in "Shooting Times" over 40 years ago. You were right.
Posted By: 1096here Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/10/11
Glad to have you on board Jon. I have enjoyed your articles for many years. For a while I was "put off" by your 7mm/Ruger articles but I got over it. I still remember an article in which you describe your problems with a .284 that became a single shot while hunting lions. That article made me a fan because I like an honest man who can report the shortcomings he finds.
Finally, I have to ask, are you and Bill Dance one and the same?
I too have enjoyed Mr. Sundra's writing over the years. I hope he decides to visit regularly.
I NEVER expected to be able or privileged to talk w/ you, J B (Mule Deer), Dr. Howell, Dr. Ohler, and others who participate here. I truly am humbled that you have taken the time and effort to respond.

What he said.
Posted By: orion03 Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/10/11
Always look forward to the next Complete Rifleman.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/10/11
Very neat to have Jon Sundra checking in here wink....I am jogging my memory to recall if I have been reading Johnny B or Jon Sundra the longest.But think that Jon was before John. smile

Glad to have both on board here as well as Ken Howell,Tom Turpin,Greg R and others.All have provided many enjoyable hours of reading and learning....

Maybe Jon inluenced me more than I suspect,as among my favorite rifles these days is a 7mm wearing a 6X scope.

Anyway,welcome,Jon.Look forward to having you on board. smile
Posted By: Ward Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/10/11
Jon Sundra reminds me of one of my brother-in-laws with regards to rifles, cigars, cars and firmly held opinions. I like him anyway.

I remember reading about 7mm's and 160 grain bullets in a Jon Sundra article. I'd started hunting with an 03A3 Springfield sporter in a laminated stock - accurate but heavy and truly one of the ugliest rifles on earth. Heavy didn't matter then but the ugly part made me sell the rifle. Well, thanks to the Sundra influence, I bought a Remington 700 in 7mm mag, loaded up 160 grain bullets and shot stuff. It was my deer rifle, elk rifle and varmint rifle. As I got older and had more money along with less time to hunt, I wandered off into different rifles, cartridges and scopes. None worked better but all worked fine. It would have been cheaper to listen to the advice the 7mm/160 combo and stay there.

There've been a handful of really good gunwriters over the years and Jon is among the best of the group. We are truly fortunate to have a lot of the really good ones posting here. Thanks to all.
Posted By: 7mmJRS Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/10/11
Originally Posted by 1096here
Finally, I have to ask, are you and Bill Dance one and the same?

It does sound like a pseudonym, doesn't it? But it's not mine.

Posted By: 340boy Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/10/11
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Very neat to have Jon Sundra checking in here wink....I am jogging my memory to recall if I have been reading Johnny B or Jon Sundra the longest.But think that Jon was before John. smile

Glad to have both on board here as well as Ken Howell,Tom Turpin,Greg R and others.All have provided many enjoyable hours of reading and learning....

Maybe Jon inluenced me more than I suspect,as among my favorite rifles these days is a 7mm wearing a 6X scope.

Anyway,welcome,Jon.Look forward to having you on board. smile

I have been reading JS' writings for a long time.It is nice to see him here, hope he sticks around.
cool

Wonder if Sundra still runs that V10 Gallardo?
grin
Posted By: duckster Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/10/11
Welcome to the 'Fire, I have appreciated your writings.
Posted By: dawaba Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/10/11
I once subscribed to the idea that longer barrels were better, at least until I knocked the rear view mirror off my pick-up's windshield while hastily trying to get into action on a running coyote. That 26" barrel on the .243 was way too unwieldy, and it was soon sold.

Thanks to Jon Sundra (and with a nod to Jack O'C), my .375 Holland wears a 20" barrel and my handiest truck gun is a 7mm-08 with an 18.5" tube, and the "using" rifles in my gunsafe have gradually grown shorter.
Posted By: 7mmJRS Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/10/11
cool

Wonder if Sundra still runs that V10 Gallardo?
grin [/quote]

Traded-in the silver one for a white `08, which I've had for a while. A couple guys on this thread asked that I post a pix, but I can't remember how to do it.
Posted By: tsquare Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/10/11
Jon,

Anytime you want to post a photo, just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.

Tom
Hi Jon,

Good to see you posting here! It gets lonely with only one "John" gunwriter....

John Barsness
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/11/11
The only forum I visit on a regular basis is Lamborghini-Talk, as I am an enthusiastic owner;

He must have influenced me a bit as well when I was younger as all I own are 7mm rifles (excluding .224s). But I'm thinking we may need to revisit that "How much do gun writers make" thread. LOL
Posted By: jwall Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/11/11
Jon et.al.-

I know I'm an UNKNOWN stranger to him but He SEEMS like an old friend to me. I had only been handloading for 2 yrs basically w/o a mentor. I bought the Lyman manual, read, read, & re read before I loaded my first round. I literally 'closed my eyes' when I shot my first reload. (243 Win)

Finding Shooting Times and the G Ws gave me insight and instructions and tips I'd never had. Also when I saw the cover of 9-77 Shooting Times and the new 8mm RM, my eyes danced like the Northern Lights. I became engrossed in handloading like never before.

I read MANY other writers obviously but Jon made some connection with me. Maybe personality, style, calibers, I don't know, but he clicked w/me.

I APPRECIATE all the G Ws except one,& he doesn't participate here. Even as a novice, that writer didn't seem to be up to my level. To ALL of you guys, THANKS for the tips, hints, & instructions that I definitely needed.

Jon,you are among the BEST to my way of thinking.
Jon/John,

Fellow Parodi fan here. I even like the Anisette flavored ones at times for a change.

Straight Shooting!
I learned a lot from Jon Sundra. Two things immediately come to mind from his writings. First is that his 7mm is as much recoil as he wants to deal with from the prone position. Second, when one of his rifles was confiscated by some Russian officials, he managed to remove the bolt and hide it so they couldn't use the rifle either.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/11/11
Jon: good to see you posting here!

Interesting that you are into Lamborghinis....

We always knew you gunwriters got paid off the charts.... wink

the "other" John is still putzing along in Mercedes and the like...he never lets me drive...... frown

WELCOME!
Its great to see Mr. Sundra posting at the Campfire.

I owe him a big thank you for turning me onto the SIG SHR 970 rifle in one of his articles in the late 1990's

It is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned and a real shame they don't make them any more.
I do enjoy my 7x57s, and my brother's newly rebarrelled .280AI is turning into a tack driver. Also have 5 straight 6x scopes now. Jon's been as bad an influence as John. frown
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/11/11
I may have been a bit harsh in my comments on Mr. Sundra way back when this thread got started. What, me opinionated? Hell no. I have to admit that one's opinions are based mainly on one's experience. At the time of the article where the 30-06 was called a ballistic has been, my total rifle experience was .22 LR, 30-30 and 30-06, the latter having served me well for over 10 years. I even thought the .308 Win. was a 30-06 wannabe. blush Time flies and over time, I got better paying jobs that allowed me to play with other cartridges and rifles. I even own a few rifles in various 7MMs. shocked
I have to think that if my earlier comments back in 2008 were out of line, then I must humbly apologize. Still, I admit to being a crusty opinionated old curmudeon. wink
Paul B.
So what IS Jon Sundra doing?
He gave up writing so he could fix flats at Wal-Mart....

Welcome Jon. Hoping the yahoos don't run you off.
Many years ago, my brother had a 7mm JRS built on a pretty nice Mauser action. We both learned quite a bit about reloading with that project as was our first "hands on" wildcat, not improved, cartridge. You might say that the process itself was quite an education. Did some dumb stuff that I believe the high quality action let us get away with. Ended up with a great shooter.
Was it worth the effort? Yes.
Did either of us ever do it again? Nope.
Still Sundra fans.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/12/11
Earlier on this thread I saw reference to some good articles on improving/accurizing the Ruger #1 - as written by JRS. Needing such info, I sent a PM to the person who mentioned the articles. he is trying to locate the info for me.

Then I thought - why not ask all of these guys, including JRS himself?

Anyone - where could a guy find some of those Ruger #1 articles? Thanks in advance for any help.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/12/11
I agree, having recently acquired a #1. Thanks for posting that.
I remember a couple of those tricks. First thing is have you shot the rifle without the forearm on by resting the receiver on the front rest? If you have and your groups improve, you have bedding issues.

My #3 responded to my sanding a bit of wood from the rear of the forearm. The angled forearm screw torquing the forearm into the receiver. A very small gap was all it took.

It is also possible to bed the forearm at three points and thus float it. Some folks used an o-ring or small piece of inner tube to dampen the vibrations. Trouble with that was that changes in humidity caused more/less pressure and groups could move.

The final solution to forearm woes is to install a Hicks accurizer. It replaces the angled screw and goes straight up into a hole drilled in the tenon. It is adjustable. These are all I remember.
Posted By: 7mmJRS Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/12/11
My 7mm JRS was in my not so humble opinion, the best of the .280 Rem.-based wildcats. It had a 35 rather than 40 degree shoulder (which I think is easier on the brass than the extreme Ackley 40 degrees), and I wanted at least a one caliber neck length. I settled on .300". That allowed pushing the shoulder forward about .150" and, coupled with a .015" body taper, I ended up with about a 7% increase in powder capacity over the .280 AI. It, of course, required fire forming to move the shoulder, and for that, I would neck up .280 Rem. brass (always used Norma because it was of thinner, higher quality, which contributed to the net increase in powder capacity. People often asked why not start with `06 brass, but the .280 case is .045" longer than the `06, which gave me the extra length I needed for the .300" neck length I wanted. After necking up the .280 case to .308", you had to partially neck it back down in a 7 JRS die, stopping at the point where the bulge in the neck gave me the datum line for headspacing. You are right: it's a lot of work, but it sure educates one to most of the precedures used in just about every facet of wildcatting. When the .300 WSM was introduced, I immediately siezed upon it, and necked it down to 7mm, and took it to Africa, all before Winchester introduce the 7mm version the following year. I then retired my three 7mm JRS rifles; they've been collecting dust ever since.
Posted By: jwall Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/12/11
When the .300 WSM was introduced, I immediately siezed upon it, and necked it down to 7mm, and took it to Africa, all before Winchester introduce the 7mm version the following year. I then retired my three 7mm JRS rifles; they've been collecting dust ever since.

That says a lot to me, at least REDUCING the effort in forming cases.
Posted By: jwall Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/13/11
7mmJRS - For all the compliments I've given there's 1 thing I didn't buy into.

The 6X scope thing. I like the versatility of the 4-12 or 4-16.
4X in woods or close anywhere. 12-16 sure helps me in OPEN LONG range judging/shooting.

Where I'm hunting right now, I seldom go above 8X, but it's there if I need it. I made a 197 yd shot this am and 6X would have been fine BUT when I put the gun/scope on the deer 8X was not too much on the antlers.

I have binos for scanning, searching, only use scope when looking at ANIMALS.

But I still like JRS grin
Posted By: ruger700 Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/13/11
I have been reading Jon Sundra articles far longer than I can remember. I do remember that he got me started on the 7mm in 1980, but I bought a 7mm RM. I got smarter and went with the 280 in 1990; and since, I have acquired a 7x57, a 7mm Express and a 7mm WSM.

I look forward to seeing comments from Jon and John, my two favorite writers.
Posted By: jwall Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/13/11
ruger - Yeah, I'd like to have a Rem or Ruger stamped 7mmExpress
Posted By: tsquare Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/14/11
Guys,

Jon sent me a couple photos that I think he want's me to post for him. I was off deer hunting when they came in so haven't been around to post them. I'll fix that here.

TT

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jwall Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/14/11
Tsquare Thanks, I'm so sorry Jon has to scrimp by from hand to mouth. I thot Gun Writers made at least minimum wage. grin laugh

I'm happy for him! ! smile
Posted By: Partagas Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/14/11
Speaking of gun writers does anyone know if Bob Jourdan posts on any forums? I have read his stuff in precision shooting mag, as well as others places and he seems like he would be a shoe-in fit for the campfire as well.
Posted By: jwall Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/15/11
Partagas - I'd suggest you start another thread asking about him. I don't know him but I'm sure we have guys that do.
Originally Posted by tsquare
Guys,

Jon sent me a couple photos that I think he want's me to post for him. I was off deer hunting when they came in so haven't been around to post them. I'll fix that here.

TT

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

TT,

Thanks for helping Jon with those electronic gadgets, great photos.

Those cars seem to make great standing bench rests. I see the towel under the muzzle to protect the top from powder burns.

I wonder if you can get one of those with 4WD?

I was looking for a bench rest on the 2nd level balcony. Not sure how far his back yard extends, but looks like a great vantage point for a long shot out across the South lawn.

DF

Just saw that this thread revived. Gives me a chance to say a "welcome Jon" too. Have read your articles for years; in fact, there was a little thing on the Blaser R93 somewhere, some time, that led me down the crooked, wayward path of a stock/receiver, two bolts, a couple of ring/base sets, and three barrels. grin

There wasn't a thing you wrote about it that wasn't true. Great rifle but you cost me! grin

A little large for a field rest but you don't have to carry it I guess and it is just the right height. And there's room for the Pinot, cheeses, and cigars in a cubby hole or two.
Posted By: 7mmJRS Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/15/11
[quote=Dirtfarmer][quote=tsquare]Guys,

Yep, they're all 4WD. It's a big help when you've got 520 hp in a 3150-lb. car!
Everyone needs a field rest like that. Only thing, ground clearance not that good and not sure how it would look with mud grips. No place for a winch. Oh well... smile

DF
Posted By: djs Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/15/11
Originally Posted by tsquare
Guys,

TT

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

See guys, some writers do make big bucks.
Posted By: djs Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/15/11
Jon - how many magazine articles does it take to buy the gas for a 300 mile trip? smile smile
Posted By: 7mmJRS Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/16/11
In a Lambo mileage is measured in YPG (Yards per Gallon). It works out to about 15,000. And no gun writer I know of makes "big bucks"; not writing about guns anyway.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/16/11
[quote=Dirtfarmer][quote=tsquare]Guys,

Yep, they're all 4WD. It's a big help when you've got 520 hp in a 3150-lb. car!

Passes everything but a gas station........... grin
Low as that thing is, and with all that power, you could run down PD's and clip them with the bumper as they peeked out of their dens. Would save a lot of gun powder.

DF
Yeah, but then you get back to the YPG thing. Nice chuck huntin' rig, Jon.
Posted By: MartyC Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/23/11
I have so many back issues of some magazines I thought you never got scarce. Enjoy the forum, I do.
MartyC
Posted By: tbear Re: Opinions Of Jon Sundra??? - 11/23/11
Jon caused me to buy my first Leupold 6X over 20 years ago. Always enjoyed his writting.
© 24hourcampfire