-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have always considered Sundra one of those 'franchise' writers. He writes a LOT Of articles for a few publications.
He seems to know what he is talking about, but IMHO, he comes across as a bit of a manufacturer's shill.

Sam......

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Haven't seen his byline much in recent years.For a long time he seemed to have material almost everywhere I looked.Always found him very readable,very informative,and very sensible.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Probably my favorite gun writer. I used to read over his articles religiously...especially when I got my hands on a copy of The Complete Rifleman.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Jon Sundra has published some excellent reloading and information data on the 260, the 243 and the 708 which I still use. A very good writer and I have enjoyed his articles throughout the years.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
JB,
There is no doubt the editor was mostly responsible, but as the annual only contained Sundra's writing and was the only time I read his stuff...well, I just didn't buy it anymore. I was a huge 7mm fan as well - my loss I guess.

I guess that was my biggest beef - the article didn't have anything new so why did they put it in? If I had been buying them every year it might have been different, but for me it was one issue to the next. Anyway, hardly a significant gripe, but if you can't hack innocent people down on the internet what is the use??

The Complete Rifleman, that was the magazine!

Last edited by djpepper; 04/03/08. Reason: new info
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The very first article by Sundra that I ever read was, "The 30-06 Is A Ballistic Has Been" in, IIRC, Shooting Times Magazine.
Right then and there I figured he didn't know his butt from a hole in the ground and I maintain that opinion to this day. He even admited that he'd never shot one and that he based his opinion from reading ballistic tables. No experience with a cartridge and it's a has been? Gimme a break! For a "has been", I notice that rifles in 30-06 are still way up there in sales, even against the wonder magnums amd wizzums. cool Guess nobody ever told the 30-06 that it was no longer viable. whistle
However, in all fairness (Me fair?)my preference in rifles is the Ruger #1 which he seemed to like for a while anyway, and I don't have any dislike for 7MM cartridges, having a few myself. I just don't think they're be all end all caliber.
If I had to be restricted to one rifle only, it would be a toss up between the .308 Win. and 30-06, and probably the latter.
Guess I'll just never be a member of the Jon Sundra Mutual Admiration Society. wink
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

I'm like his writing also. good written articles.

he writes a few for "Rifle Shooter" that I subscribe to.

In the latest issue, My/June 2008, he has a article on necking up the Ruger 375 to a 416. interesting atricle. beat Ruger to it.

Gene
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't trust people who spell their name that way.

John

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Glacier_John
I don't trust people who spell their name that way.

John

That right there is funny!

Hey, if he likes Fixed 6x's, Good Wine and Good Cigars he's ok with me...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
He wrote some great articles on accurizing Ruger #1`s.I used his info to do quite a few #1`s and turn them into great shooters.AAAAAAAAAAA+++++++++++++ grin

Last edited by Huntz; 04/03/08.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I'll read him occasionally and have enjoyed some of his articles in the past. I've also often wondered why he dislikes the 30-06 as much as he does but I recon everyone is welcome to their own opinion. His and mine differ highly on that one though!!!! laugh

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have read a lot of his work since he started writing as a young man (I was too). After he moved south to the Carolinas I emailed him tryiing to buy a reprint of an article he once wrote on slicking up a Ruger tang safety action. It was an excellent article and somehow I lost it. Anyway, he told me he had thousands of old gun magazines he had to throw away when he moved from Pennsylvania. He remembered the article but did not have a copy. I'm still looking. It was in Guns Magazine.

I have read some negative stories about him at some of the writer's get togethers put on by the gun manufacturers but I won't repeat it because I don't know if it's true and I don't know if it was from a jealous competitor who just wanted to flame him.

Thanks,
Bill

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Sundra writes regularly now for NRA's Shooting Illustrated magazine.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I always look for "Sundra" articles in the mags I read..he seems to tell it like "he" sees it..and thats ok with me

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have always considered Sundra one of those 'franchise' writers. He writes a LOT Of articles for a few publications.
He seems to know what he is talking about, but IMHO, he comes across as a bit of a manufacturer's shill.

Sam....gotta agree with you here.

Bob

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
JS is ok with me,even if he's a 7 guy.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've enjoyed his writing and have learned from him

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoy his stuff too.

Weiners are health food - My dad
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
He may be a "7" guy now but:

1. He once wrote a great article on developing a 30-06 load. Very thorough. He did a bit with pressures and actual vs theoretical BC's I liked as well.

2. At one time IIRC he was a big fan of the 300 Win Mag.

Besides, I thought a requirement to be a gunwriter was to promote one or the other relatively unpopular cartridge/rifle/scope combination. Some of them even change a couple of times.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Always enjoyed his writing. Exchanged a couple e-mails with him. Quite a gentleman.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 16gage, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,843
Posts18,517,227
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.