Home
OK, so I went to the funshop today and bailed out my new (used) M700 30-06. Brought it home and began cleaning (bore was filthy with copper fouling) and took it apart.

Here's what it looks like:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I decided after looking at the stock for a short time that it really needed a good coat of krylon camo paints. laugh

Well, after degreasing with dentatured alcohol, followed by acetone (I find this really makes for a good bond) I procede to apply the base coat of tan. After looking at it a minute while drying, I notice that there's a crack in the stock - just behind the front mounting screw - running laterally.

Well, what I decided to do was drill a hole horizontally through the affected area and put a screw in, coated with super glue.

I've patched the recessed screw head with JB Weld and will sand it down and finish the painting tomorrow.

So, do you think this will do the trick? Or should I just start shopping for a new stock? There seemed to be "voids" in the stock when I was drilling the hole... this is right behind the front mounting screw which is right behind the recoil lug recess. Perhaps this is why the crack formed in the first place? The crack pulled together nicely and the screw went in tight...

I guess I'll see when I go to shoot it...

Thoughts?
That doesn't look like the normal tupperware stock. Could it be another brand or a Ti?

Anyway, if you're looking to get another Rem tupperware stock then I'd just get a new one. They are pretty cheap. If you have the cash and the time, order up a McSwirly from Rick. Better safe than sorry...

BTW, I'd post this in the gunsmith section, you may get more responses.

RH
Thanks - the stock is a stock Rem - look at the bottom of the pistol grip - has a Rem logo. I don't think anybody else made stocks (or could) with this?

ETA - this is an older model - pre goofy lock - I think one of the early synthetics?
Well, here are the pics of the rifle as it looks now. I decided to put some JB Weld into the recoil lug recess and also a bit at the forend (I applied some breakfree to the metal contact points). I thought that maybe the recoil lug was a tad loose in there which might have been the cause of the crack forming...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I don't think stocks crack for no reason. I would guess that the recoil lug was not bedded solidly, thus allowing the gun to get a headstart when recoiling. I would also guess that the action bolt was fairly tight in the stock hole, and thus was banging into the stock under recoil.

I would bed as you've done, but I would also open up the holes for all the action bolts to make sure there is no chance of any contact between the bolts and stock.
Nice looking paint job. How did you get that pattern??
The rear action screw might have been torqed down too much causing the stock to crack. I think the rear torque specs is around 20 inch #'s compared to the front screw at around 45 inch #'s.
Since that particular area at the grip is hollow, that might be a weak spot.
Unless I am mistaken that is a 700 AS. That would be an Arlon stock that Remington used in the late 1980's. I had one just like in 30-06 for a while. The stocks were one of the first factory synthetics and were pretty good but heavier than I wanted in a synthetic.
Nice job.

Looks like fish net panty hose for the pattern.

Friend fixed his Model 7 using gorilla glue and went ahead and applied bed liner with a roller to the whole stock. Came out very very nice.

Wish I could find some Krylon webbing paint in grey or black.

They have it on their web site but I havnt found any stores that carry it.

It makes a nice marble look when used correctly.
Dang, that is absolutely beautiful. GREAT JOB.

I usually use Marine-Tex to bed and repair stocks. Works for me.

Steve
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I don't think stocks crack for no reason. I would guess that the recoil lug was not bedded solidly, thus allowing the gun to get a headstart when recoiling. I would also guess that the action bolt was fairly tight in the stock hole, and thus was banging into the stock under recoil.

That's my first thought too. It needs bedded or rebedded.

Casey
© 24hourcampfire