Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK, so I went to the funshop today and bailed out my new (used) M700 30-06. Brought it home and began cleaning (bore was filthy with copper fouling) and took it apart.

Here's what it looks like:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I decided after looking at the stock for a short time that it really needed a good coat of krylon camo paints. laugh

Well, after degreasing with dentatured alcohol, followed by acetone (I find this really makes for a good bond) I procede to apply the base coat of tan. After looking at it a minute while drying, I notice that there's a crack in the stock - just behind the front mounting screw - running laterally.

Well, what I decided to do was drill a hole horizontally through the affected area and put a screw in, coated with super glue.

I've patched the recessed screw head with JB Weld and will sand it down and finish the painting tomorrow.

So, do you think this will do the trick? Or should I just start shopping for a new stock? There seemed to be "voids" in the stock when I was drilling the hole... this is right behind the front mounting screw which is right behind the recoil lug recess. Perhaps this is why the crack formed in the first place? The crack pulled together nicely and the screw went in tight...

I guess I'll see when I go to shoot it...

Thoughts?

Last edited by OSOK; 05/13/08.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That doesn't look like the normal tupperware stock. Could it be another brand or a Ti?

Anyway, if you're looking to get another Rem tupperware stock then I'd just get a new one. They are pretty cheap. If you have the cash and the time, order up a McSwirly from Rick. Better safe than sorry...

BTW, I'd post this in the gunsmith section, you may get more responses.

RH

Last edited by himmelrr; 05/13/08.
OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks - the stock is a stock Rem - look at the bottom of the pistol grip - has a Rem logo. I don't think anybody else made stocks (or could) with this?

ETA - this is an older model - pre goofy lock - I think one of the early synthetics?

Last edited by OSOK; 05/13/08.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, here are the pics of the rifle as it looks now. I decided to put some JB Weld into the recoil lug recess and also a bit at the forend (I applied some breakfree to the metal contact points). I thought that maybe the recoil lug was a tad loose in there which might have been the cause of the crack forming...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I don't think stocks crack for no reason. I would guess that the recoil lug was not bedded solidly, thus allowing the gun to get a headstart when recoiling. I would also guess that the action bolt was fairly tight in the stock hole, and thus was banging into the stock under recoil.

I would bed as you've done, but I would also open up the holes for all the action bolts to make sure there is no chance of any contact between the bolts and stock.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice looking paint job. How did you get that pattern??

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The rear action screw might have been torqed down too much causing the stock to crack. I think the rear torque specs is around 20 inch #'s compared to the front screw at around 45 inch #'s.
Since that particular area at the grip is hollow, that might be a weak spot.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Unless I am mistaken that is a 700 AS. That would be an Arlon stock that Remington used in the late 1980's. I had one just like in 30-06 for a while. The stocks were one of the first factory synthetics and were pretty good but heavier than I wanted in a synthetic.

Last edited by JMR40; 05/21/08.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Nice job.

Looks like fish net panty hose for the pattern.

Friend fixed his Model 7 using gorilla glue and went ahead and applied bed liner with a roller to the whole stock. Came out very very nice.

Wish I could find some Krylon webbing paint in grey or black.

They have it on their web site but I havnt found any stores that carry it.

It makes a nice marble look when used correctly.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Dang, that is absolutely beautiful. GREAT JOB.

I usually use Marine-Tex to bed and repair stocks. Works for me.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I don't think stocks crack for no reason. I would guess that the recoil lug was not bedded solidly, thus allowing the gun to get a headstart when recoiling. I would also guess that the action bolt was fairly tight in the stock hole, and thus was banging into the stock under recoil.

That's my first thought too. It needs bedded or rebedded.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.