Home
Posted By: akjeff BRNO Effect? - 01/26/09
Any of you writers seen/shot one of these? At the CZ booth in Reno, they had one in .308....pretty cool little rifle! While not nearly as refined as the Merkel/Blaser/Kreighoff break action single shots; it was also about 1/3 the price. Definitely a step up from the Russian rifles. I'm really tempted. Had they chambered it in 7x57R or 7x65R, I'd have whipped out the check book. The rep said just .308 and '06 for the USA.

Jeff
Posted By: muledeer Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/26/09
Ohmygod the website says they make it in 6.5x57R...as well as 7x65R.

[Linked Image]

I could want one of these...

[Linked Image]

Particularly if they got rid of that ugly Bavarian buttstock for one with clean lines.

How much did they want for one grin?

Dennis
Posted By: HunterJim Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/26/09
Good luck on actually getting one...jim
Posted By: muledeer Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/26/09
Gives a guy something wholly extravagant and unnecessary to dream about... grin. And in a fairly exotic chambering, too...

(Though I do have 6.5x57 dies... blush.)

Dennis
Posted By: Outcast Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/26/09
BRNO makes really good stuff. When I was in RSA all the PH's wanted to know was "Are you shooting a BRNO?" Those pics are really cool. IF they ever make it here, a 7X57 would take my cash.
Posted By: Borealis Bob Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/27/09
AKjeff...

Did the rep mention when these might hit our shores? Don't see anything on their U.S. site.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/27/09
i read an article about the SHOT show that said CZ will start importing the entire BRNO line to the states this year.

If they do show up I'll definitely give the Effect a long look.
Posted By: drducati Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/27/09
I think CZ absorbed BRNO a few years ago. They don't have a website (or didn't a few months ago)anymore. They got caught in that stock scam in the late 90's when all the businesses in the Czech Republic got royally screwed. One guy ended up owning about 75% of the countries industry in a huge Ponzi scheme.
They called him The "Pirate of Prague".
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/27/09
From the specs it's about the same length as a Merkel K1 and at just shy of 6 pounds it's maybe 1/2 pound heavier. Never shot a K1 but have handled a couple. To my mind that is what a single shot rifle should feel like - slim and trim. Ruger #1's, I like you, but at 7 1/2 pounds for the 1A and 8 or more for the 1B, you're just plain heavy!

If this thing shoots it should make a sweet rifle. However, at 1/3 the cost of a Merkel that's still in the $1,000 or above neighborhood which is a little fancy for my blood.

BTW - while those humpback stocks are ugly as all get out, they actually do fit pretty well and line the eye up well with a scope.
Posted By: akjeff Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/27/09
Dennis,

Thanks for posting the pictures! The .308 they had, was like the top photo, and they were asking around $1600, if I recall. Too bad they don't plan on any Euro chamberings, for the US bound rifles;just the .308 and .30-06. Like I said, if it had been a 7x57R, or some such, it would have come home with me. From a practical standpoint, the .308 as it was, would be an awesome travel rifle...but I ain't practical! At 6 pounds, I think a .30-06 would peg my fun meter. A 7x65R(or the .308) would be all the horsepower I'd care to have, in a rifle this light and trim.

Jeff
Posted By: 9.3x62 Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/27/09
this has been available in Canada for over a year in the euro and american calibers from any dealer selling CZ
Posted By: muledeer Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/27/09
Originally Posted by 9.3x62
this has been available in Canada for over a year in the euro and american calibers from any dealer selling CZ

How much? Do you know the location of a 6.5x57R? I think I know a guy who could import it for me... grin.

Dennis
Posted By: atkinsonhunting Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/27/09
Definately have to do something about that ugly Kraut, Nazi stock! smile but a good rasp and some stock finish would fix that if you shoot iron sights. If you intend to scope it then it is screaming "help me, help me, I need a new handle".

I picked up an old Savage SS 219 in 30-30, that shoots great, the other day and intend to play with it..A quarter rib, iron sights, barrel band swivel and front sight Tally rings, recut safety, maybe a 18 inch barrel, and a custom stock should fix it right up...then I will have a 4500 dollars worth of 150 dollar Savage rifle...but hey this ain't my first trip into lala land of gundome.... How I would love to find a Savage 219 in the rare 25-20 and rechamber it to a 25-35 and fix it up...
Posted By: tj3006 Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/28/09
I like the look of those rifles.
but to get much Buisness in the US I think the but stock will need to be tossed.
Since its so europiean how about rounds like 9.3X62 Or 9.3X74R. 8X57, 6.5X55. . I think a 8X57 with a good reciever peep, and or a QD scope set up.
They look prety light. A good rifle to take on a hike just in case you get a shot at a coyote or a mountain lion bobcat or whatever.
...tj3006
Posted By: DMB Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/28/09
+1 on the atrocious buttstock. Don't think the one on the rifle now would attract real money here in America.
Posted By: 9.3x62 Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/28/09
Muledeer-Dennis I talked to the importer and he brought in mostly 30/06 but does not stock them. He can get the 6.5x57R or 7x65R in a couple of months, best estimate is $1,600 Can. about $1,300 US. You can talk to Dave Campbell 416-675-1322 at London Arms (importer)
Posted By: muledeer Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/28/09
Thanks, friend! That is a good lead.

Jeff and Edward -- you tracking this??!! grin

Dennis
Posted By: husqvarna Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/28/09
I have a CZ550FS with the same Bavarian type of butt stock design. I wasn't sure how it would be to shoot, but after giving it a try I descovered that I shot pretty well with the Euro type stock. All it took a little bit of practice to get used to holding my head more upright.
I have been interested in the little BRNO single shot after I handled one at the shot show a few years ago.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/28/09
Is the CZ website correct when they say that a CZ550FS weighs 7.4 lbs? And thats with a 20.5" barrel and no scope or mounts!

[Linked Image]

I have a ZB Brno 22F here and it weighs 7.7 lbs with a 2-7 Kahles in steel rings with a sling on it!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: muledeer Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/29/09
I had a CZ 550 American 9.3x62 that weighed at least 8 lbs w/o rings, scope or sling. I'd be surprised if the CZ 550 FS is as light as 7.4 lbs. Don't think BRNO was quite as "generous" with its walnut and steel as CZ is these days.

Dennis
Posted By: drducati Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/29/09
The "American" stocks were heavier than the Euro designs a few years ago. I was surprised when I picked up a 550 in 30-06. It was so clunky I gave it to my associate when he wanted a rifle.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/29/09
Originally Posted by muledeer
Jeff and Edward -- you tracking this??!! grin

Dennis

Yeah, I'm tracking this. frown Don't ask my why? I've got more .308s and .30-06s than I'll ever use. So if I get one, it's gonna hafta be an 8x57 JRS or 7x65R. As I already have dies and brass for the latter, it should get the nod. However, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool medium bore guy... I don't have a clue where I'd get brass for the 8x57R, but I'll bet I can do something. smile Even if I have to form them from 7x65R... grin

GH
Posted By: muledeer Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/29/09
If we can get metrics through Canada, that would be the way to go. I want a 6.5x57R; I suspect Jeff will join you in a 7x65R, as that is the cartridge his drilling fires.

I'll check with a couple of dealers up here and see what's involved in importing them from Canada.

Dennis
Posted By: akjeff Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/29/09
Dennis,

My ears are perked up, and you are correct....I'll take the 7x65R!(a 7x57R would do, as well)

Jeff
Posted By: husqvarna Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/29/09
My 9.3X62 550FS is right at 8lbs. without scope or sling. Smaller bore FS's could weigh 7.4#; the 9.3 has a fairly thick barrel, an extra recoil lug, and two stock cross bolts so it may weigh more than a 7X57 or 6.5X55.
Posted By: NathanL Re: BRNO Effect? - 01/29/09
They've been out for a number of years....you just can't get them in the US apparently. I looked into it last year when I first saw them on the website.

Maybe they changed their mind and decided to start importing them. I was told there was no demand.
Posted By: Brazos_Jack Re: BRNO Effect? - 02/11/09
CZ USA is going to be importing them soon. But in .30-06 only.

1) I want no part of a 5.9# .30-06 (OUCH!!)
2) I've seen pictures of the extractor modification BRNO came up with to handle rimless rounds like '06. To say it looks pretty cheezy is being charitable.

Canada will likely remain the only way to get the Effect in a caliber appropriate to its extractor design and its weight - like 6.5x57R or 7x57R. I'll take a 6.5x57R if someone can send me the info I can give to my FFL on where to order and how to go about importing.

Brazos Jack
Posted By: miket_81 Re: BRNO Effect? - 02/16/09
I might just have to have one of those...Does it look like it will be made in 7X57R?
Posted By: akjeff Re: BRNO Effect? - 12/13/09
Well, I wound up getting an Effect in .30-06. After a frustrating stab at scoring a Euro chambered gun via Canada, I said the heck with it, and bought my very first hunting rifle in .30-06. I'll post a range report in the Single Shot forum.

Jeff
Posted By: handwerk Re: BRNO Effect? - 12/13/09
I've seen them in a cabelas gun library or two this past fall...perhaps Rogers Mn. store?
Posted By: akjeff Re: BRNO Effect? - 12/13/09
The ones at the MN Gun Library, have been sold.....I tried to buy them! frown

Jeff
Posted By: Gene L Re: BRNO Effect? - 12/13/09
Two things I THINK I remember: First, BRNO and CZ are the same company. Brno was the name of the town in the Former Czechoslovkia, and I guess since there's now the Czech Republick and Slovakia, they dropped the Brno name. I'm not sure of this, but have a Brno Fox .22 Hornet which fits into a CZ stock perfectly. And the rifles I have, the Brno .22 Hornet and a CZ .223 are practically identical.

Second is I THINK I read a review of the single shot rifle shown this year, or maybe last year. I don't remember it being a CZ rifle, think it was from Turkey. But I may be wrong. As I remember, the accuracy wasn't good and the wood was problematical. So I'd look before I buy.

Third is the hogback stock. I like it! Got one on my CZ 6.5 x 55 and it's purty.

Posted By: luke Re: BRNO Effect? - 12/13/09
I just checked their web site and they have a dandy looking ou model BO802. Anybody know anything about them. How much money and do they shoot straight. A 6.5x57R and a 12 gauge would be a great coyote outfit.
Posted By: tomk Re: BRNO Effect? - 12/14/09
This is some old info sent to me a some years ago. If they are one company today, it wasn't always that way...

Tom,

CZ is Czeska Zbrojovka http://www.czub.cz/ They make the CZ550 rifle and the CZ75 pistol, among others. During the 60's - 80's they made similar rifles called the 600, 601 and 602. Their gov't insisted they be marked Brno, even though they were made by CZ.

Brno is Zbrojovka Brno http://www.zbrojovkabrno.com/arms/eng/zbrane.htm and made those beautiful 21H and 22F rifles from the 1930's until 1955. Then they made armaments for the Communist Gov't while CZ was making commercial rifles. About 20 years ago they started making commercial rifles again based on their VZ-24 large ring action from WWII.

FWIW...
Posted By: Gene L Re: BRNO Effect? - 12/14/09
My Brno is from about 1975 or so. Aside from the marking on the barrel and the wood, it's identical to the CZ 527.
Posted By: tomk Re: BRNO Effect? - 12/14/09
I don't know, Gene.

The rifles that Kurt was referring to me in that email were imported by EAA and are definitely VZ24 military actions.
Posted By: akjeff Re: BRNO Effect? - 12/14/09
BRNO as a stand alone gun maker, is no more. CZ purchased the BRNO name, and brands some of their guns as such. At least, that's how I understand it. If I'm wrong, I would hope that I'll be corrected.

Jeff
Posted By: tj3006 Re: BRNO Effect? - 12/14/09
I thought I posted on this awhile back but I can't find the post. I have handeld one of these guys, in 30 ,06 at the gun room in Portland oregon.
It has a Burris FF2 3X9 with balistic plex reticle.
It is a prety cool rife, But as someone said I am not sure it would be much fun to shoot in 30,06.
But I am sure a good hand load could be worked up.
I think i would prefer a .308 if it need be an american round, but a 6.5 or 7mm or even a .270 would be better in my mind.
I think this used rifle is still sitting there , but It is a we bit spendy, i think 1500.00 but not sure...tj3006
Posted By: Gene L Re: BRNO Effect? - 12/14/09
Originally Posted by tomk
I don't know, Gene.

The rifles that Kurt was referring to me in that email were imported by EAA and are definitely VZ24 military actions.

Mine was imported by Kalispell, MT somebody. It's not a VZ action, it's called a "Minature Mauser" action. MIne's a Hornet.
Posted By: miket_81 Re: BRNO Effect? - 12/15/09
My Nula 30-06 scoped is right at 6# and I don't notice it's recoil any more than my other 30-06's

I guess I am the outcast.. I really like the stock on this rifle, I love how it slopes down, looks like it would really catch alot of my shoulder...
Posted By: Kurgan Re: BRNO Effect? - 07/10/23
Hi gents. I just thought I'd revive this interesting thread, as there's not much information on this excellent rifle. It is interesting to read about the Brno Effect at its inception in the US. Basically, I bought one in 308, and like mentioned here, fixed the poor stock design. Yes, I wish mine was chambered in the standard or rimmed 7x57 or even 8x57 cartridge, but 308 has been great, no complaints. She kicks a bit, but not too bad.

BRNO EFFECT 308 Image Gallery
© 24hourcampfire