Brno Effect 308 Photos

Here is my semi-custom Brno Effect chambered in 308 Winchester. It was manufactured in 2013 (assembled and sold in 2014), which was the last year of production for this model of rifle (2008-2013) and for all Brno rifles. CZ took ownership of Zbrojovka Brno in 2004, started manufacturing rifles under the "Brno Rifles" banner in 2007 and basically ran Brno Rifles into the ground by 2013. I am happy that the last remaining original Zbrojovka Brno employees built this rifle, but the barrel and stock were manufactured by CZ. I purchased this rifle in December of 2020 ("NOS") and was thrilled about the quality of the metal work and deep rich bluing, but NOT thrilled about the wood finishing and shape. Basically, the metal work was typical of Brno... excellent. Bore, perfect. Shoots point-of-aim. However, the stock looked like it was finished by a grade 7 student with a nylon paint brush. Every finish defect was present: brush marks, missing finish, scratches, blotches, bubbles, honey comb, etc. In short, the wood looked like bloody hell! Furthermore, the buttstock was WAY oversized with a huge length of pull and the forend was akin to a toothpick with a schnabel tip! I had a master gun maker, Wayne Ducette out of Nova Scotia, Canada, who specializes in building stunning black powder rifles, spend some time with it. In the end, he fully re-shaped and re-checkered the stock, got the length of pull down to approximately 13.5 inches, and installed a colour case hardened grip cap and buttplate (colour case hardening courtesy of Oskar Kob out of Nova Scotia, Canada). I had another smith previously build me a custom forend made out of select English walnut with an African Blackwood tip and widow's peak, and he got it to about ~90% of what I wanted. Wayne Doucette fully finished that forend to match the buttstock. The forend now accommodates my large hands and looks and feels great! All the wood is finished in Jim Chambers oil finish, which is similar to Tru-Oil, but with a nicer amber hue. Overall, the rifle shoulders beautifully, akin to a lightweight field shotgun. The single set trigger is awesome, but not for the faint of heart! The rifle weighs in at only 5.9 pounds, loaded. I also commissioned a custom heavy duty leather scabbard and custom tomahawk. The tomahawk, #6 made by Wayne Doucette, is a real thing of beauty, but functional too! wink The original cost to purchase this rifle + all customization + scabbard + tomahawk + Brno/Kozap scope mount (not pictured) was less than 1/2 of what a new Blaser K95 would cost. Warning: If you are a black rifle enthusiast, you will hate this rifle. smile
Last edited by Kurgan; 07/10/23.

If you don't like where you are, move. You are not a tree.