Home
Posted By: WayneShaw David Petzal - 08/07/11
I've seen him several times on Outdoor Channel, and I must say, in my opinion, he is an a$$hole. Not only does he talk like a retard, he is a smarta$$, comments are not exactly what most consider correct.....

He should give up, IMO.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
On the other hand, I like him because he is not afraid to say what he thinks. Yes he has an odd sense of humor, but then so do I.
Posted By: djs Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
I liek to learn other's opinions and I get it from him.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
I like Petzal. Makes me laugh and I enjoy watching and reading his stuff.

JM
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
My friend Dave is a good guy.
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
I met and talked to Dave a few times at the SHOT.

He came across as a really good guy who is smart as hell and extremely funny. I'm sure he is somewhat of a smarta$$, but then so am I so I can hardly fault him for that. Plus he is a fellow left-hander.

He seems to take his work very seriously but does not take either himself, or some of his over-wrought readers that way.

Good for him.

Steve
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
To each his own. I guess my point is, some people are better suited to keep to writing, and not live broadcasts.

When you are arrogant enough to fault a gun for not grouping well, when you're shooting off the hood of a vehicle and it's no fault of your own, I have a problem.

I've only recently caught the show he's on, the others on the show do a fine job.
Posted By: InTheWoods Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
I enjoy watching him on TV. He certainly is exacting in his opinions and isn't scared about stating them, but those opinions seem to agree with most of mine. So he must be a good guy! I think he is a welcome break from most of the other 'TV Guys.' I also appreciate the fact he features traditional bolt-action rifles, rather than all the semi-auto 'modern sporting rifle' stuff the other shows seem to be infatuated with.

I do, though, get your point about the shooting off the hood stuff. Hopefully, most of his judgements come from more thorough testing off the bench.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
Petzal is intelligent,which is a refreshing break in outdoor TV.

He sure beats the hell out of another "ho-hum" bowhunt with camo clad busty chicks hunting unpressured mid-western bucks raised on food plots.....

If I have to sit through another Real Tree episode and listen to the incessant babble, I'm gonna throw up....

I'll take Petzal....

Posted By: podunk Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
Petzal is far better than those "Boner Collector" jackoffs.....
Posted By: jim62 Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
I've seen him several times on Outdoor Channel, and I must say, in my opinion, he is an a$$hole. Not only does he talk like a retard, he is a smarta$$, comments are not exactly what most consider correct.....

He should give up, IMO.

Wayne-

Dave Petzal is one of the most experienced and knowledgeable gun writers to ever pick up a pen- especially with regards to hunting rifles.

He also has a great sense of humor and is entitled to opinions the same as any other free thinking American.

Sorry you don't agree.

As to his screen persona. The man is a writer, not a used car salesman. At least the man speaks in complete sentences with a full command of the English language unlike the Camo-clad Southern hillbillies who populate most cable hunting shows.

Originally Posted by podunkkennels

Agreed.
I just can't see the glory in shooting deer others have scouted and 'raised'.... then making out like you're friggin JOC...
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
I like him on the show.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
"Your comments are amusing considering you likely would not make a pimple on Dave Petzal's azz."

I will wager, I have shot thousands more rounds through a rifle than he has. When everyone like him is writing about the newest "Remchester" that comes along, I shoot fully custom rifles made with the finest actions/barrels/components money can buy. I compete regularly and have done so for close to 20 years. I think I have learned a thing or two along the way.

I never criticized his knowledge, only his delivery and arrogance. Which it sounds like you share, Jim62.
"Your comments are amusing considering you likely would not make a pimple on Dave Petzal's azz."

I will wager, I have shot thousands more rounds through a rifle than he has. When everyone like him is writing about the newest "Remchester" that comes along, I shoot fully custom rifles made with the finest actions/barrels/components money can buy. I compete regularly and have done so for close to 20 years. I think I have learned a thing or two along the way.

I never criticized his knowledge, only his delivery and arrogance. Which it sounds like you share, Jim62.

Well Wayne, I deleted that comment about 10 minutes ago because I thought is was rather harsh. I can see that I was wrong.

You seem to have enough arrogance for everyone. Your incredibly petty comments about Petzal's efforts pretty much shows that.

As far as you having more experience rifles than Petzal does- I sincerely doubt that- no matter what your ego tells you.

Petzal has sold more fine custom rifles from his collection during the last 30 years than you are likely to ever handle, let alone actually own. He was commissioning custom rifles from the likes of Winston Churchill, Griffin and Howe, etc in the 1970s when you were most likely an itch in your daddy's pants.

He also owned Jarret's rifles (paid for with his own money) 25 years ago before most of the world even knew who in the hell Kenny Jarret was. Same with Melvin Forbes at ULA.

I also bet that in front of a camera, he would look like Walter Cronkite compared to you.

Posted By: scenarshooter Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
Originally Posted by BobinNH

He sure beats the hell out of another "ho-hum" bowhunt with camo clad busty chicks hunting unpressured mid-western bucks raised on food plots.....

If I have to sit through another Real Tree episode and listen to the incessant babble, I'm gonna throw up....

I'll take Petzal....

Now thats funny right there!

I met Dave at the Shot Show a few years back and thought he was a good guy
Pat, we live in a day of Entertainment....unless the TV screen is festooned with Real Tree camo,and guys with baseball hats on backwards are High Five-ing....we feel cheated somehow. sick grin

Gawd forbid someone says something intelligent...... crazy
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
Part of Dave's "problem" with live interviews is that he is literally as deaf as a post. I haven't seen any of those TV shows, but in real life, Dave quite often answers questions that weren't quite asked, simply because he misunderstood what was asked.

If anyone think he sounds stupid, that person may have no concept of what hearing loss means.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11

I'll take Petzal....

You say that as though it is a bad thing!

I happen to be a big fan of camo clad busty chicks and I don't much care what they're hunting! grin
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
Bob,

Like a lot of us, I can't stand to watch the usual hunting shows, for all the reasons you cited.

And the cliches are endless. "This is what it is all about", It doesn't get any better than this".

And the camera work. It shows a couple of hunters pretending to look for downed game from the point of view of the downed game. That camera man must be a genius at finding downed game.

Yuck!

Steve
Posted By: 5sdad Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
I haven't seen him on television. I have read his writing. I think that he enjoys playing the part of crusty curmudgeon. I once contacted him about an opinion he expressed and received a very nice, intelligent reply. I would value the chance to visit with him.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
Wayne,

You really shouldn't have claimed that you've shot more than Petzal and own nicer rifles.

I have known Dave since the early 1970's (he will be 70 this fall) and he was already a veteran custom-rifle loony then. He has shot hundreds of thousands of rounds in competion, hell maybe millions. Along with knowing LOTS about all sorts of custom rifles (from personal experience and his checkbook) he has shot competively in shotgun sports for decades as well, for the last 15 years or so with a high-grade Perazzi that he sold 11 other guns to buy, some of them top-line customs.

Just because a gun writer talks about factory rifles a lot doesn't mean he doesn't know custom rifles. Believe it or not, most gun writers write for their readers, who are often the semi-mythical "average guy," not some who knows a lot like you.
Steve: I shouldn't poke fun....ALL hunting is "good" of course,but some of the TV stuff is better than others.I enjoy Jim Shockey and Craig Boddington stuff because they go interesting places,and see neat animals....

Like Nsaquam says there is nothing wrong with busty chicks smile but I am tired of watching turkey hunts and food plots....

The bucks are really neat,however....but I'd rather kill one from the ground on my own two feet.

I like the Benoit stuff I have seen.Personal prejudice...
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
I have to agree with BobinNH I can't stand watching all those hunting shows on the TV. They get hootin and hollaring and even crying after killing a deer on a high fence hunt. Come on give me a break. I find Petzal to be funny and informative. It is a better approach then the Bone Collecter BS. With that said I am going to give a promo shout out to my buddy's hunting show starting in January on the Sportsman channel, Skull Bound. Check it out.
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
John, we'll never persuade the distant, detached omniscients that their telepathic psychoanalyses and personality appraisals are missing the target by a mile or more.

Especially on the Campfire.

cry
I enjoy watching Jim Shockey. He is one of the few who doesn't act like it's his first time to shoot something.

He's old school and can hunt.

JM
Posted By: HawkI Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
Petzal seems like a good guy from reading his stuff.....and a smartazz, which I can dig!

The easiest way to record hunting is to bait, climb and sit on your ass, so that is what is out there.

Personally, I don't watch any TV stuff. Buncha goatee'd camo goofyphuckers....
Hell, I don't even watch the occasional TV shows I've appeared on!
I don't mind Shockey, Adams, and Haines. I have a lot of respect for those guys and they can all hunt!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I am pretty sure Jim and Jana would love to have you on a future episode of Skull Bound.
Posted By: HawkI Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
Dave always has some funny analogy or euphemisms scattered throughout his stuff; kinda like some other popular writers here....

I believe he's a pretty influential mentor and a guy that doesn't feel the need to look like a tree or pimp a single shot apparatus like a used car salesman.

C'mon John,

You gonna tell me you didn't watch yourself on Pawn Stars when you tried to pass off the Poobah's thong as belonging to Elvis?

LOL> grin
Posted By: bea175 Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
I actually like Petzal shows and the way he speaks. He is much better than the Younger guys who jump up and down and scream when they actually make a good shot. I hate any of the shows where they have the 20 years old Blondes who are more into make-up and trying to look pretty than hunting. David is a refreshing down to earth guy who seems to be very knowledgeable about rifles. I have never met David and couldn't say for sure if i would like him or not but have seen nothing that would make me think otherwise than he would be a great guy to know personally .
MontanaCreekHunter,

I just might be interested too....
JohnMoses,

If it was the thing with sequins, it WAS Elvis's! (Though how the Poobah eventually acquired it, I don't know.)
I heard he stole it off of a mannequin in San Fran... whistle

Back on topic, Personally, I'd would much rather watch a Gun/outdoor writer or an average Joe go on a hunt than most the TV personalities who have their own show.

I do enjoy Mossy Oaks Hunting the Country because they feature everyday guys going afield.
Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
I think you are better off turning off when someone displeases you and not get yourself in an knot.

I bought a DVD on White Tail hunting a few years ago and only opened it it up a day or so ago. Most are very unimpressive.

They are flogging a DVD with some of the supposed experts in their field and they get all excited and "huggy" with another grown man, litteraly shaking with excitement and demonstraing their lack of experience at taking animals period.

I too, like to be informed. I can't have the same experience at local game many of you have and that is fine. But and I will name only one, the point being these guys were promoted as Pro Staff??????? Professional what?????

Stan Potts.

Good night, I turned it off, forever.

John
So true John. I wonder what affect that behavior is having on the youth of today who hunt?

As a youngster, If I had acted like they do when they make a kill, my Dad would have kicked me in my ass...hard.

And I would have deserved it.

JM
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

Stan Potts.

Good night, I turned it off, forever.

John

Stan Potts , i can't watch that idiot for any longer than it takes me to switch channels.
Posted By: orion03 Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
Asides from Mule Deer, who is far and away my favorite writer, Petzal is second on my list. He's way sharper than most people give him credit for and his dry sence of humor always makes me laugh. May he live long and prosper.
Posted By: pointer Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
Dave always has some funny analogy or euphemisms scattered throughout his stuff; kinda like some other popular writers here....

First time I saw him on TV the quote that caught my attention was, "the Torx screw is the best invention since the ribbed condom"! Good stuff.
Posted By: yukon375 Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
they collect bones alright, and i think i know what kind of bones they prefer.
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Posted By: doubletap Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
another "ho-hum" bowhunt with camo clad busty chicks ....

Bob,
I usually agree with your posts but not this time. Those are the bow hunts that I enjoy watching most. If you keep this up we'll have to get you a rainbow sticker for your truck. grin
Posted By: johnw Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
never met petzal... likely never will...

never seen him on TV, as i never seem to find myself in front of one...

my perception of his stuff i've read leads me to believe that he's intelligent, cogent, and funny...

maybe funnier than mcmanus...

if the opportunity presented, i'd go out of my way to meet the guy...
and i've made some incredible shots, shot some incredible groups off the hood of a truck...

in the attempt to magnify ourselves it's easy to ridicule a snapshot of others mistakes...

buy a ticket... watch the whole show....
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
So true John. I wonder what affect that behavior is having on the youth of today who hunt?

As a youngster, If I had acted like they do when they make a kill, my Dad would have kicked me in my ass...hard.

JM

it's a part of hunting becoming mainstream, i think...

when we moved to illinois i was 9... through high school, in a mid sized town of 15000 there were 8-9 kids in the entire high school who hunted... another 1 that might have liked to...

we were socially outcast geeks...

i'd guess that today, hunting is as popular as the NBA... and more than a few of hunting's practitioners get their mannerisms from the NBA, or something like it...
Originally Posted by johnw

JM

it's a part of hunting becoming mainstream, i think...

when we moved to illinois i was 9... through high school, in a mid sized town of 15000 there were 8-9 kids in the entire high school who hunted... another 1 that might have liked to...

we were socially outcast geeks...

i'd guess that today, hunting is as popular as the NBA... and more than a few of hunting's practitioners get their mannerisms from the NBA, or something like it...

Are you serious?

Hunting is not "mainstream". Not even close.

Less than 10% of the US population hunts- less than half the number of folks who own guns.

As a percentage of the population- there are LESS hunters now than just about any time in our history and less young hunters coming in.

About the only sub group of hunters that has seen an increase is women of all ages.

Posted By: TNrifleman Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
I don't know Dave Petzal, but I have enjoyed reading his articles.
Posted By: iambrb Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
I like his articles and his smart-assed 'tude. Too bad he is a Yankee
Originally Posted by doubletap
another "ho-hum" bowhunt with camo clad busty chicks ....

Bob,
I usually agree with your posts but not this time. Those are the bow hunts that I enjoy watching most. If you keep this up we'll have to get you a rainbow sticker for your truck. grin

DT: No need.... grin

The girls really are cute.....but I'd rather see them in Penthouse....call me a male chauvinist pig... cool smile
I agree, the ones on hunting shows are too.... 'clothed'.... grin
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
Dave is a big '06 fan and has wrote some of the best '06 articles.

MtnHtr
Posted By: 222Rem Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
Originally Posted by HawkI
Petzal seems like a good guy from reading his stuff.....and a smartazz, which I can dig!

The easiest way to record hunting is to bait, climb and sit on your ass, so that is what is out there.

I believe he's a pretty influential mentor and a guy that doesn't feel the need to look like a tree or pimp a single shot apparatus like a used car salesman.

I've only read his writing, but completely agree. I can only imagine how JOC and EK would be received in today's media. I see Petzal as one of the last bastions of the Old Guard. Unfortunately his type is so few and far between that he's the odd man out now, with the "goatee'd camo goofyphuckers" being the norm.

Equipment-wise these ARE the Good Ol' Days, but I think that window has passed for journalism-----------with a few notable exceptions.
Posted By: Snipebander Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
Dave Petzal apprenticed under Warren Page and is maybe the last active writer who knew personally (Ken Howell excepted) that generation of writer/shooter/hunter. If you read his written material closely not only is he funny but a sage user of all sorts of firearms.

I would give about a weeks pay to sit at his feet and converse with him, maybe thru sign language, about Warren Page. He is a treasure. We would all be very lucky to have his experiance.
The only gun writer i would have went out of my way to meet is Elmer Keith. I read his writing with a passion and don't believe the man would have known how to tell a lie and his writing were from experience and trial and error . There will never be another like him. JB you have some big boots to fill, I only purchased Hand-Loader Magazine for your Articles and Brian Pearce Articles .
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11

He should give up, IMO.

Retard is right. He is often wrong as well on several accounts.
Posted By: iambrb Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
Originally Posted by Reloder28

He should give up, IMO.

Retard is right. He is often wrong as well on several accounts.

not to start an argument, but how so?
Posted By: 280shooter Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11

You should save them on an Ipod in case you ever meet the Queen.Great gift idea. grin
I've always enjoyed his writing. I don't watch much TV.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
...As a youngster, If I had acted like they do when they make a kill, my Dad would have kicked me in my ass...hard.

JM

Your Dad and my Dad must have gone to the same charm school! grin

Sycamore

John B i was thinking your videos was what was loaded in the IPOD Obama gave the Queen of England.
Almost certainly!
Posted By: ruger700 Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
I enjoy Dave Petzal on TV as well as I enjoy his writing. Currently, he and Mule Deer are the only two I look to for information.

I accept information from everyone but Dave and John explain things in a way I understand. In addtion, they both have a great sense of humor and more than a boatload of experience. They both have my greatest respect.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: David Petzal - 08/07/11
When I see or read Dave Petzal I think "curmudgeon" which is an observation of style and not a criticism. Whether he is or isn't I don't know.

I find it refreshing compared to the BS artist style which I see (and avoid) too often. With his style Petzal can convey information succinctly and, I think, with veracity. I'm certainly in no position to criticize his opinions.
Posted By: wildhunter Re: David Petzal - 08/08/11
I like him maybe he is over your head
Posted By: Ol` Joe Re: David Petzal - 08/08/11
Originally Posted by johnw
never met petzal... likely never will...

never seen him on TV, as i never seem to find myself in front of one...

my perception of his stuff i've read leads me to believe that he's intelligent, cogent, and funny...

maybe funnier than mcmanus...

if the opportunity presented, i'd go out of my way to meet the guy...

I was agreein` 100% until you said this.
A very close 2nd maybe, but funnier? Nope grin
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: David Petzal - 08/08/11
Recently stayed at Holiday Inn Express and had a bottle of Smartwater one day earlier in the week. Apparently important to some that we qualifiy ourselves.
My opinion of Petzal continues to grow as I think he was a good writer to begin with, and has continued to improve. Believe he's the real deal along with Boddington & Barsness, I appreciate anyone that is capable of making me think.
Haven't seen Petzal's TV show, so no comment.
Posted By: BullShooter Re: David Petzal - 08/08/11
The subject has been raised before on the 'fire. From the archives, here's a quote and a reply from about five years ago:

Originally Posted by [bleep]
. . . David Petzal, on the other hand comes across as a sophomorish smarty-pants. I can't help but find myself endeared to the type. grin
Mr. Petzal has me in stitches half the time. I wish that F&S would allow him more type-space, but I've grown used to the way that O/L and F&S have gone to short snippets, instead of indepth articles. I think that Mule Deer has hunted with Mr. Petzal.

Originally Posted by WiseGeezer
We must not judge Petzal too harshly. For decades, he has seen all his really funny stuff removed from his copy on the grounds that F&S is a family magazine, and it has made him bitter before his time. Mule Deer has hunted with him on many occasions, and remembers each one with horror and loathing.

--Bob
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: David Petzal - 08/08/11
WiseGeezer (whoever he is) once threatened to shoot me in the Achilles tendon if I didn't slow down while we headed up a Montana mountain one snowy November day. I complied.
Posted By: BullShooter Re: David Petzal - 08/08/11
WiseGeezer (whoever he is) once threatened to shoot me in the Achilles tendon if I didn't slow down while we headed up a Montana mountain one snowy November day. I complied.

The man anticipated your statement. Here's another quote from about five years ago.

This is a hideous libel. {I} did not offer to shoot Mule Deer in the Achilles tendon. That would have been poor behavior with firearms. {I} offered to bite him. There is an important distinction.

--Bob
Posted By: Ramblin_Razorback Re: David Petzal - 08/08/11
and about six years ago, you had known him half of your 52 years. Thanks for the reference to put the pieces together, MD.

Wish WiseGeezer still posted here, but it appears he hasn't posted here in six years. No farewell, just no more posts.

I read Petzal back in the mid-1980s in F&S. That was 25 years ago, and he had the curmudgeon persona in full gear even at that time (if he's turning 70 soon, he would have been in his mid-40s then). I enjoyed his writing and learned a lot from him at an impressionable age.

Posted By: docdb Re: David Petzal - 08/08/11
I was a new rifle loonie a few years back, and traded into a used Bansner Sheep Hunter in 7mm WSM. I couldn't get it to shoot like I wanted and began using the Internet boards for the first time to get help. Out of the blue, a fellow lefty gives me a real shot in the arm, and good advice......signed his post "D. Petzal". We carried on an Internet conversation and I've been a fan ever since, was prior also. If I want a BS article supporting every new product, there is plenty of that. But, when I want the real deal, give me Petzal.
Don
Posted By: Ramblin_Razorback Re: David Petzal - 08/08/11
Here is some classic WiseGeezer from a post 6+ years ago:

With all respect to Mule Deer, who is great and wise. Consider the plight of the gun writer. If he were to write "Modern bullets are so good you can kill elk as well with a 7mm/08 as a .338 RUM, provided you can shoot and are willing to work," would people be interested? Would you sell magazines? Would you get angry letters to the editor? Would you keep your job? Oh hell no. The second biggest elk I've ever seen--an absolute draft horse of a bull--was shot dead with one .280 bullet by a woman hunter who could shoot. But I will never refer to this in print.

Posted By: Smokey262 Re: David Petzal - 08/08/11
I enjoy Dave Petzal's segments on the television show The Gun Nuts a lot.

Curmudgeon? Most certainly, but so am I, so we share a point of reference.

Knowledgable? Without a doubt.

Not politically correct? Bonus Points!

I do wish that his partner on the show Phil Bourjaily would not speak into the camera with his eyes closed. I find that an annoying behavior in anyone who practices it. In spite of this, he too is worth watching.

If I had the chance to go on a road trip or hunt with either or both of these guys (and of course Mule Deer) I would jump at the chance in a heartbeat.
Posted By: moosemike Re: David Petzal - 08/08/11
I like the Outdoor shows and I like the various hunting celebs that you guys hate. I also like Dave Petzal.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: David Petzal - 08/08/11

I'll take Petzal....

Sums things up pretty well. Love his blogs on Field and Stream's web site. Lt's of people disagree with him, but a lot more seem to find him pretty sharp. I'm in that group. As to his wisearse humor, he'd fit right in with the folks at work.
Posted By: Sainte_Terrer Re: David Petzal - 08/08/11

I'll take Petzal....

My thoughts exactly! The man knows rifles and is intelligent.
Posted By: Petro Re: David Petzal - 08/09/11
I've been reading him since I was ten years old or so (1994) and find him refreshingly honest, practical, and as much of a smartass as I am, which I like. I haven't been around that long and I wasn't even a thought in my parents minds when guys like Elmer Keith, Jack O'Connor, Col. Whelen, or Warren Page were in their heyday, but people like Petzal (and a couple of others) serve my generation as a reliable tether to those of the "old guard" and help provide much needed direction in the days of marketing journalism.

Why do I think that the majority of the people who think Petzal needs to "give it up", especially those who would go so far as to verbalize their opinion without provocation from behind a computer screen, would be the first to boast of making his acquaintance at SHOT Show or in the field?
Posted By: rockchuck828 Re: David Petzal - 08/10/11
It surprises me how many people think Dave Petzal is O.K. or even good in his writing's or on T.V.
I thought he was the worst ever.......until I watched a horrific hunting show with Dave Blanton speaking some inbred dialect of english spending entirely too much time standing on the backside of a goat.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: David Petzal - 08/10/11
Its funny how some Internet commando says, "I've shot more, own more, blah, blah" only to find out he's a piker.

One thing I've learned on this site: if you can't back it up it's bragging. And if you brag, you'll be cut to pieces.

Did WayneShaw, the OP, ever post again after Mule Deer straightened him out on the facts/stats?
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: David Petzal - 08/10/11
Petzal is a hoot and if you prefer the likes of Michael Waddell over him you are showing your age!
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: David Petzal - 08/10/11
Dave is the genuine article and doesn't bother trying to prove himself. His lasagna tastes just as good to him whether unmet readers like him or not.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: David Petzal - 08/10/11
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Petzal is a hoot and if you prefer the likes of Michael Waddell over him you are showing your age!

Well said! wink
Posted By: David_Walter Re: David Petzal - 08/10/11
Or, lack of age...
Posted By: 300_savage Re: David Petzal - 08/10/11
Originally Posted by Petro
I've been reading him since I was ten years old or so (1994) and find him refreshingly honest, practical, and as much of a smartass as I am, which I like. I haven't been around that long and I wasn't even a thought in my parents minds when guys like Elmer Keith, Jack O'Connor, Col. Whelen, or Warren Page were in their heyday, but people like Petzal (and a couple of others) serve my generation as a reliable tether to those of the "old guard" and help provide much needed direction in the days of marketing journalism.

Why do I think that the majority of the people who think Petzal needs to "give it up", especially those who would go so far as to verbalize their opinion without provocation from behind a computer screen, would be the first to boast of making his acquaintance at SHOT Show or in the field?

Very well said, Petro. You would probably enjoy the writings of the old guard you mentioned, and especially for O'Connor, the writings are still available in book form. Though a lot has happened in the gun field since their passing, there are timeless aspects to their writing that make for excellent winter reading with a good cup of coffee.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: David Petzal - 08/10/11
I have several books by Dave, and have read a lot of his articles. I kinda like him.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: David Petzal - 08/10/11
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Dave is the genuine article and doesn't bother trying to prove himself. His lasagna tastes just as good to him whether unmet readers like him or not.

Resembles a couple of old geezers here around the 'fire. whistle
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: David Petzal - 08/10/11
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Well said! wink

Technically I should be in the "Michael Waddell" crowd if you go by age...I can't stand that joker. Or any of the other "Realtree" yahoos and similar shows/hosts of their ilk.

Give me Dave Petzal, John Barsness, Mike Venturino, Elmer Keith, and Jack O'Connor any day (not listed in any order).

I don't know when M. Waddell started writing in Petersen's Hunting but I must admit that I seem to skip right over his articles every time I get a new issue (promotional subscription). On the other hand, I have just read for the second time, the compilation of stories "The Lost Classics of Jack O'Connor." I doubt I will ever get tired of reading JOC's writings.

Petzal's wit really strikes me too. One thing I have enjoyed lately is his blog on the Field and Stream site that he and Phil Bourjay (sp?) manage. Kinda helps me get a little Petzal in even though I no longer have a subscription to the magazine.
Posted By: ryanjay11 Re: David Petzal - 08/10/11
I've been reading his articles in the back of Field and Stream for years. He is entertaining and isn't just trying to sell something. This is in a magazine where you can only tell the articles from advertising by checking to see if it says "ADVERTISEMENT" at the top of the page.
Posted By: Scott E Mayer Re: David Petzal - 08/10/11
I will tell you all a personal Petzal story and you judge for yourself what kind of man he is.

Years ago, he and I were at a Weatherby seminar at the Buffalo Horn Ranch in Junction, Colorado. We were headed back to the airport in a large van full of other gunwriters and we all had tight flights. The van had a blow-out in a little town called Parachute, CO. It was a Sunday, and no place was open or us to call for help (this was before cell phones).

Eventually someone from the lodge got there with a spare, we all made it to the airport, but missed our flights.

Of course tensions were high. Petzal was in line in front of me trying to get re-booked. It wasn't going well and the guy at the counter was making it worse by calling Petzal "Buddy."

Petzal popped and said, "I'm not your buddy."

He got re-booked, and then it was my turn. I would not get out until the next day.

I had no money back in those days. No credit card and very little cash and was facing the likelihood of having to spend the night in the airport with no way of getting food.

Despite having just seen Petzal pop, he was the only one I knew there well enough to ask for money. "Dave, I hate to ask, but I'm traveling kind of light. Can I borrow some money?" I asked.
Petzal looked me in the eye and without saying a word pulled out his wallet, gave me a $20, turned and walked away before I could say "thank you."

When I got home, I immediately sent him a check for $25. He immediately sent it back saying it would be usury to take advantage of a fellow man in a tight spot.

It was about more five years before I ran into Petzal again. It was on the floor of a SHOT Show and I handed him a $20. He asked "What's this for?" "Repaying you for Parachute, CO" I replied.

He had forgotten.
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: David Petzal - 08/10/11
I love hearing stories like that, Scott. Thanks for posting it.
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: David Petzal - 08/10/11
The late Bob Brister (whom I didn't know at the time) had just arrived for a hunt on the Mescalero Apache reservation (NM) when he got word that his father was dying (Houston). There was no place to rent a car for the drive back to El Paso, and Bob wasn't having any luck finding a way back. So I volunteered to drive him to the El Paso airport. Some things are simply more important than hunting or money, no matter who you are.

Another gun writer ran out of film too soon at a SHOT Show, and there was no place there, open on Sunday, where he could buy more. So I gave him a few rolls of Ektachrome from my camera bag. He later "replaced" it, roll for roll, with cheap and chintzy bulk film.

Gun writers are like everybody else in one respect � some are princes, some are parasites (or worse). I could (but won't) name one who's a quite wealthy crook (a thief, among other things).

Dave P is one of the best of the lot, in all the ways already listed here. He's a friend whom I'd love to see more of. A lot more.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: David Petzal - 08/10/11
Here's Dave's latest blog from the F&S site:
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...thing-right-about-guns?cmpid=enews081011
Posted By: BullShooter Re: David Petzal - 08/10/11
Originally Posted by shootinurse

There's an error in the blog. Maybe somebody who knows him could send him a note to which he'd attend.

Originally Posted by Petzal Blog 08/08/11
First, there is a strong tendency among people not to challenge conventional wisdom. As proof of that, I offer the fact that from AD 200 until roughly 1850, western medicine was based on the teachings of a physician named Galen. Galen did not know that blood circulated, or that the heart pumped it. He blamed disease on an imbalance among four bodily humors (black bile, yellow bile, water, and phlegm), and drew his conclusions about human anatomy from dissections of monkeys and pigs, not humans. But for nearly two millennia, Galen was more revered than Oprah.

Water was not one of the four humors; "blood" was.

--Bob
Posted By: Dave93 Re: David Petzal - 08/11/11
I like Petzal. I like the way he writes.
Posted By: pavementends Re: David Petzal - 08/11/11
I guess I don't understand. When I was younger and there were at most 3 options on the haunted fish bowl and few if any hunting shows, you could "get up" and change the channel if you did not like what you were seeing. Now we have many options and a remote but find time to watch and complain! Push the button.
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: David Petzal - 08/11/11
I have yet to sample a TV "hunting" show that I can stand to watch all of. So there's not even one on the "favorites" menu of my satellite receiver. Haven't even sampled one since I can't remember when.
Posted By: troutslayer Re: David Petzal - 08/11/11
I like him.
Posted By: MOGC Re: David Petzal - 08/12/11
Me too...
Posted By: Kentucky_Windage Re: David Petzal - 08/12/11
I also like Petzal. I would gently suggest that anyone who thinks he "talks like a retard" is simply incapable of recognizing an intelligent man's sense of humor.
Posted By: UMT Re: David Petzal - 08/12/11
Scott. I remember that trip all too well. You may recall that Jim Carmichael was the only guy who got home that day after he stood in the road waving a twenty dollar bill and the extra from Deliverance gave him a ride. Petzal is a good guy and has a cutting sense of humor. I�ll be shooting with him in a African Heavy Rifle competition on Saturday and I am looking forward to it as much for his wit as for the shooting.
Posted By: ribka Re: David Petzal - 08/12/11
Originally Posted by 222Rem

I've only read his writing, but completely agree. I can only imagine how JOC and EK would be received in today's media. I see Petzal as one of the last bastions of the Old Guard. Unfortunately his type is so few and far between that he's the odd man out now, with the "goatee'd camo goofyphuckers" being the norm.

Equipment-wise these ARE the Good Ol' Days, but I think that window has passed for journalism-----------with a few notable exceptions.

x2
Posted By: ribka Re: David Petzal - 08/12/11
Petzal is a smart smartass and I like him. Met him in person and a good humble smart down-to-earth guy,. How could you as a gun owner not like his writing:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...media-cant-get-anything-right-about-guns

what other mainstream gun writer is putting out articles like this?
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: David Petzal - 08/12/11

Yea, I've always thought of Petzal as an artisan (Johny B too) and the generic, Real Tree group as a bunch of house painters. As much as I love to hunt deer myself, there are times another whitetail, or T/C episode from the tree stand or box blind view almost leaves me apoplectic.

Stan Potts? Get a grip man!
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: David Petzal - 08/12/11
Dave has the unmitigated effrontery to know (and to write, with dry and cutting wit) what less-experienced gun freaks won't admit to themselves that they don't know.
Posted By: Scott E Mayer Re: David Petzal - 08/13/11
Originally Posted by UMT
Scott. I remember that trip all too well. You may recall that Jim Carmichael was the only guy who got home that day after he stood in the road waving a twenty dollar bill and the extra from Deliverance gave him a ride. Petzal is a good guy and has a cutting sense of humor. I�ll be shooting with him in a African Heavy Rifle competition on Saturday and I am looking forward to it as much for his wit as for the shooting.

I remember Carmichael doing that. I remember being in ear shot when Petzal walked up to the cab of that truck and asked if there was room for one more. Carmichael said "No" and shut the door in his face and they drove away!
Posted By: Kingthing0307 Re: David Petzal - 08/13/11
Petzl is good, and certainly light years better than these morons on the "huntin" shows nowadays. Bill Heavey is another writer that is very likeable and writes good articles as well.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: David Petzal - 08/14/11

I'll take Petzal....

Agree 100%. How many times do we have to watch tree stand hunts over food plots? Give me a break.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: David Petzal - 08/14/11
One rack in the tree is often better than 2 in the bush..........
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: David Petzal - 08/14/11
Petzal is okay IMO. Anybody old school is better than the new regime that pass themselves off as "gunwriters" these days.

I like Petzals straight forward style. He seems to have been around the block a few times, and I can respect that, even if I do not always agree with his opinions of certain rifles. I usually buy the "50 greatest rifles" issue every year. Every year it makes me wonder.......
Posted By: jim62 Re: David Petzal - 08/14/11
I will say this about Petzal.

Most of the 20-30 somethings have NO clue as to the man's level of overall experience with long guns. He has forgotten more about them than many young writers will ever learn.

The owners of Feild and Steaam should be SMART enough to publish a compendium of All of his Feild and Stream pieces going back to the beginning. Not only would it be a very entertaining read with much info still being applicable today, but it would ALSO give some of his critics a bit of perspective on how much the man actually knows.

I would buy a copy.
Posted By: HawkI Re: David Petzal - 08/15/11
Originally Posted by jim62

Most of the 20-30 somethings have NO clue as to the man's level of overall experience with long guns. He has forgotten more about them than many young writers will ever learn.

The owners of Feild and Steaam should be SMART enough to publish a compendium of All of his Feild and Stream pieces going back to the beginning. Not only would it be a very entertaining read with much info still being applicable today, but it would ALSO give some of his critics a bit of perspective on how much the man actually knows.

I would buy a copy.

As a thirtysomething, I'd rather have the real Dave rather than what was put in his Field and Stream epochs.....

Too much for the common Joe and probably not a scratch of what the man knows, for starters. That's why Rifle and Handloader was so good for many years.

It would be interesting to read his stuff at those levels.
Posted By: jim62 Re: David Petzal - 08/15/11

I would buy a copy.

As a thirtysomething, I'd rather have the real Dave rather than what was put in his Field and Stream epochs.....

Too much for the common Joe and probably not a scratch of what the man knows, for starters. That's why Rifle and Handloader was so good for many years.

Well Hawk.. As a 30 something how many of those article of his say pre -1990 have you actually read? I bet damn few. They were not a general as you think.

Back in the 1970s and 1980s the regular gun dept columns had MUCH more space for copy than they allow the writers now. The gun dept writers like Petzal and Carmichael also had more feature articles printed as well.

His current print column is about the number of words as his blog entries(very short) and the only feature articles he seems to be involved with are " The Best guns of 2011" etc.

Posted By: Oregon45 Re: David Petzal - 08/15/11
This soon to be 30-something spent alot of time in library archives reading old Field and Stream magazines, including Petzal's work.
Originally Posted by Oregon45
This soon to be 30-something spent alot of time in library archives reading old Field and Stream magazines, including Petzal's work.

Which is probably why you realize he knows whereof he speaks and appreciate his opinions.

I would buy a copy.

Well Hawk.. As a 30 something how many of those article of his say pre -1990 have you actually read? I bet damn few. They were not a general as you think.

Back in the 1970s and 1980s the regular gun dept columns had MUCH more space for copy than they allow the writers now. The gun dept writers like Petzal and Carmichael also had more feature articles printed as well.

His current print column is about the number of words as his blog entries(very short) and the only feature articles he seems to be involved with are " The Best guns of 2011" etc.

I have every Guns and Ammo from 1967 to 1987 and Outdoor Life from 1976 to 1985. My Handloader and Rifle magazines date to the 1970's. Ever read Wilf Pyle?

Petzal never went into his detailed reloading procedures, bullet casting or a host of other things serious shooters do in F and S, probably because F&S didn't cater to that small audience. Which is why I think his best stuff is in his noggin, not a slight on him in the least. F&S of the 1980's isn't going to delve as deep as the G&A's of old, either.

I'm pretty aware of such things.

But hey, I haven't read anything that old "pre-1990"....
[Linked Image]

I have every Guns and Ammo from 1967 to 1987 and Outdoor Life from 1976 to 1985. My Handloader and Rifle magazines date to the 1970's. Ever read Wilf Pyle?

Yep, I have read Wilf Pyle. He has nothing to do with Dave Petzal's knowledge or previous body of work.
Neither do ANY of the magazines you have mentioned above. Petzal never wrote for any of them to my knowlege wink

I see what you are saying about Petzal probably having more to share with the reading public than what he has been given space write over the years with Field and Stream.

But frankly, if you have not read his articles in F&S from the 1970s and 19870s you are dismissing the value of something of which you do not know.

I like In depth articles like Rifle and Handloader as much as anyone. But real knowlege on a subject is based more of understanding general concepts than details anyway. Especially something to be enjoyed as a like a hobby of shooting.

My point was that a compendium on all his F&S articles would make a damn good read, not just for information or entertainment but as a historical record of the times and the guns Petzal has owned and shot- which in itself would surprise a lot of folks..

"They were not a general as you think."

"Besides, real knowlege is based up more of understanding general concepts than details anyway. Especially something to be enjoyed like a hobby of shooting."

I have read Petzal probably in the same capacity you have read Wilf Pyle...maybe even before 1990.

I'm not damning anything I have not read and certainly not the idea F&S making a compilation, just saying F&S schit wasn't at the level of Handloader in those days (or even now) and that it would be more interesting to meif Dave had something like that.

Well that's your opinion.

It still does not seem like you have really actually read many of Petzal's F&S columns before 1990.

At least we can agree we both appreciate Petzal's writing.

Certainly more than the OP here does..LOL

Posted By: toltecgriz Re: David Petzal - 08/15/11
Petzal is one of the good ones in several ways.
Posted By: battue Re: David Petzal - 08/15/11
Obviously those who know Petzal consider him to be have extensive experience with firearms. I think he has a sharp wit along with his knowledge.

For those who agree, what is your opinion of his actual use of firearms in the field? Experienced gun writer, field outdoor writer, or both? IOW does he fit the mold of Barness, Boddington, Carmichael, VanZowell, O'Connor, Keith, etc?
Posted By: M16 Re: David Petzal - 08/19/11
I love watching his show.
© 24hourcampfire