-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John B i was thinking your videos was what was loaded in the IPOD Obama gave the Queen of England.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Almost certainly!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I enjoy Dave Petzal on TV as well as I enjoy his writing. Currently, he and Mule Deer are the only two I look to for information.

I accept information from everyone but Dave and John explain things in a way I understand. In addtion, they both have a great sense of humor and more than a boatload of experience. They both have my greatest respect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I see or read Dave Petzal I think "curmudgeon" which is an observation of style and not a criticism. Whether he is or isn't I don't know.

I find it refreshing compared to the BS artist style which I see (and avoid) too often. With his style Petzal can convey information succinctly and, I think, with veracity. I'm certainly in no position to criticize his opinions.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like him maybe he is over your head

If it doesn't have fin, fur, feathers or go bang, I just ain't interested.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by johnw
never met petzal... likely never will...

never seen him on TV, as i never seem to find myself in front of one...

my perception of his stuff i've read leads me to believe that he's intelligent, cogent, and funny...

maybe funnier than mcmanus...

if the opportunity presented, i'd go out of my way to meet the guy...

I was agreein` 100% until you said this.
A very close 2nd maybe, but funnier? Nope grin

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Recently stayed at Holiday Inn Express and had a bottle of Smartwater one day earlier in the week. Apparently important to some that we qualifiy ourselves.
My opinion of Petzal continues to grow as I think he was a good writer to begin with, and has continued to improve. Believe he's the real deal along with Boddington & Barsness, I appreciate anyone that is capable of making me think.
Haven't seen Petzal's TV show, so no comment.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The subject has been raised before on the 'fire. From the archives, here's a quote and a reply from about five years ago:

Originally Posted by [bleep]
. . . David Petzal, on the other hand comes across as a sophomorish smarty-pants. I can't help but find myself endeared to the type. grin
Mr. Petzal has me in stitches half the time. I wish that F&S would allow him more type-space, but I've grown used to the way that O/L and F&S have gone to short snippets, instead of indepth articles. I think that Mule Deer has hunted with Mr. Petzal.

Originally Posted by WiseGeezer
We must not judge Petzal too harshly. For decades, he has seen all his really funny stuff removed from his copy on the grounds that F&S is a family magazine, and it has made him bitter before his time. Mule Deer has hunted with him on many occasions, and remembers each one with horror and loathing.

--Bob

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
WiseGeezer (whoever he is) once threatened to shoot me in the Achilles tendon if I didn't slow down while we headed up a Montana mountain one snowy November day. I complied.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
WiseGeezer (whoever he is) once threatened to shoot me in the Achilles tendon if I didn't slow down while we headed up a Montana mountain one snowy November day. I complied.

The man anticipated your statement. Here's another quote from about five years ago.

This is a hideous libel. {I} did not offer to shoot Mule Deer in the Achilles tendon. That would have been poor behavior with firearms. {I} offered to bite him. There is an important distinction.

--Bob

Last edited by BullShooter; 08/07/11.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
and about six years ago, you had known him half of your 52 years. Thanks for the reference to put the pieces together, MD.

Wish WiseGeezer still posted here, but it appears he hasn't posted here in six years. No farewell, just no more posts.

I read Petzal back in the mid-1980s in F&S. That was 25 years ago, and he had the curmudgeon persona in full gear even at that time (if he's turning 70 soon, he would have been in his mid-40s then). I enjoyed his writing and learned a lot from him at an impressionable age.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was a new rifle loonie a few years back, and traded into a used Bansner Sheep Hunter in 7mm WSM. I couldn't get it to shoot like I wanted and began using the Internet boards for the first time to get help. Out of the blue, a fellow lefty gives me a real shot in the arm, and good advice......signed his post "D. Petzal". We carried on an Internet conversation and I've been a fan ever since, was prior also. If I want a BS article supporting every new product, there is plenty of that. But, when I want the real deal, give me Petzal.
Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is some classic WiseGeezer from a post 6+ years ago:

With all respect to Mule Deer, who is great and wise. Consider the plight of the gun writer. If he were to write "Modern bullets are so good you can kill elk as well with a 7mm/08 as a .338 RUM, provided you can shoot and are willing to work," would people be interested? Would you sell magazines? Would you get angry letters to the editor? Would you keep your job? Oh hell no. The second biggest elk I've ever seen--an absolute draft horse of a bull--was shot dead with one .280 bullet by a woman hunter who could shoot. But I will never refer to this in print.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoy Dave Petzal's segments on the television show The Gun Nuts a lot.

Curmudgeon? Most certainly, but so am I, so we share a point of reference.

Knowledgable? Without a doubt.

Not politically correct? Bonus Points!

I do wish that his partner on the show Phil Bourjaily would not speak into the camera with his eyes closed. I find that an annoying behavior in anyone who practices it. In spite of this, he too is worth watching.

If I had the chance to go on a road trip or hunt with either or both of these guys (and of course Mule Deer) I would jump at the chance in a heartbeat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the Outdoor shows and I like the various hunting celebs that you guys hate. I also like Dave Petzal.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Petzal is intelligent,which is a refreshing break in outdoor TV.

I'll take Petzal....

Sums things up pretty well. Love his blogs on Field and Stream's web site. Lt's of people disagree with him, but a lot more seem to find him pretty sharp. I'm in that group. As to his wisearse humor, he'd fit right in with the folks at work.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Petzal is intelligent,which is a refreshing break in outdoor TV.

He sure beats the hell out of another "ho-hum" bowhunt with camo clad busty chicks hunting unpressured mid-western bucks raised on food plots.....

If I have to sit through another Real Tree episode and listen to the incessant babble, I'm gonna throw up....

I'll take Petzal....

My thoughts exactly! The man knows rifles and is intelligent.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've been reading him since I was ten years old or so (1994) and find him refreshingly honest, practical, and as much of a smartass as I am, which I like. I haven't been around that long and I wasn't even a thought in my parents minds when guys like Elmer Keith, Jack O'Connor, Col. Whelen, or Warren Page were in their heyday, but people like Petzal (and a couple of others) serve my generation as a reliable tether to those of the "old guard" and help provide much needed direction in the days of marketing journalism.

Why do I think that the majority of the people who think Petzal needs to "give it up", especially those who would go so far as to verbalize their opinion without provocation from behind a computer screen, would be the first to boast of making his acquaintance at SHOT Show or in the field?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It surprises me how many people think Dave Petzal is O.K. or even good in his writing's or on T.V.
I thought he was the worst ever.......until I watched a horrific hunting show with Dave Blanton speaking some inbred dialect of english spending entirely too much time standing on the backside of a goat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Its funny how some Internet commando says, "I've shot more, own more, blah, blah" only to find out he's a piker.

One thing I've learned on this site: if you can't back it up it's bragging. And if you brag, you'll be cut to pieces.

Did WayneShaw, the OP, ever post again after Mule Deer straightened him out on the facts/stats?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (2500HD, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 16 invisible), 1,529 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,920
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.