Home
Posted By: wind_drift caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Why do otherwise sensible and nitpicky rifle loonies keep using the term "caliber" when referring to a chambering? It's particularly incongruent behaviour amongst folks who often engage in lengthy and passionate debates about some pretty obscure, esoteric topics?

Odd...
Posted By: kawi Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Cartridge. Perhaps?
Posted By: dhg Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Calibre is quicker to type than cartridge. You all spell it wrong, anyway.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
We're lazy.
Posted By: kawi Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
About the only thing I can spell. I should not be here.Oop.
grin
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Can you figure out what they are talking about?
Posted By: Ready Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Unfortunately, it is, while technically wrong, international accepted usage.

Even some manufacturers mark their weapons as such.

Have a Ruger SP 101 marked ".38 Spec. Cal."

Posted By: Win_94 Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
Can you figure out what they are talking about?

...incongruent...esoteric...

I'm pretty sure he is cussing at us.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
What's a caliber? Is that like a different font?

Bore, groove, cartridge, chamber...I get that.
Posted By: ingwe Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Originally Posted by wind_drift

Odd...

Semantics...wait...watch...it gets odder....... grin
Posted By: podunk Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Really wanna get flustered with wording? Try to properly ask someone behind a gun counter what cartridge a particular rifle is chambered for...... (palm to forehead)
Posted By: deflave Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
This ranks right up there with using clip instead of magazine.

And by that I mean, I simply don't give a [bleep] because I know what they're trying to say.

I think we should collectively work on the differences between: they're, their, and there before we tackle rifle nomenclature.

Travis
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Try to properly ask someone behind a gun counter what cartridge a particular rifle is chambered for......

I heard tell of some of those guys bheing really fuggin' sharp....... whistle
Sharp as a bowling ball maybe....
You should listen to some of the dudes on the outside of the counter.....
I try to lurk in the local shop at least once a week..... makes for great entertainment... grin
It IS truly amazing at times...... grin
Problem is every time I go down to watch the Morons I walk out with a used Remington.... whistle Wonder who's really the moron......
The guy that keeps buying the .270s...... grin
Last two were turdy ought sixes..... whistle
Ahhhh yes...the "unbastardized" version of the .270...
Still trying to figure out what to do with the newest lefty '06.....
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Why do otherwise sensible and nitpicky rifle loonies keep using the term "caliber" when referring to a chambering? It's particularly incongruent behaviour amongst folks who often engage in lengthy and passionate debates about some pretty obscure, esoteric topics?

Odd...

Probably for the same reason they say horns when refering to antlers or pistol when refering to revolvers.

Posted By: johnw Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
you guys can pick all you want to on grammar and spelling... what about the guys who won't capitalize on a keyboard???
Posted By: swervinbob Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Really wanna get flustered with wording? Try to properly ask someone behind a gun counter what cartridge a particular rifle is chambered for...... (palm to forehead)

I did that the other day with a Marlin with pretty good looking wood. He told me it was a Marlin. I said "I know that. What is it chambered for?" He looked at the tag and said "308 Winchester." I said "OK. It's a 308 MX. Please don't tell anyone else it's a 308 Win. There's a huge difference."
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
I try to lurk in the local shop at least once a week..... makes for great entertainment... grin

And when that gets old, mosey on down to the local boat ramp.
Posted By: johnw Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Originally Posted by deflave

And by that I mean, I simply don't give a [bleep] because I know what they're trying to say.

I think we should collectively work on the differences between: they're, their, and there before we tackle rifle nomenclature.

Travis

Don't go there... They're going to pick up their toys and go home...
Posted By: the_shootist Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Then and Than are a couple other slippery words, as in common usage on the boards. We see:

I have a nicer rifle then Fred. and

Than I went to the range.

wink
Posted By: Cheesy Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12

Travis

Full agreement on every sentence there. Have had those exact sentiments for a long, long time.
Posted By: pal Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Then there's using "X" instead of "-" when specifying scope zoom range, as in 3X9X40, instead of 3-9X40. So confusing. wink
Posted By: SU35 Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Almost every time I visit the local range to test loads someone will come up to me and ask me "what caliber are you shooting".

I'll tell them 26 caliber or 28 caliber. "Oh? I've never heard of that one before". Then they walk on not wanting to appear that they don't have a clue, because they really don't.

It's a cartridge not a caliber.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
There going to tell you that theirs no better place to find high caliber dialogue then on the campfire.
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Public boat ramp in the summer time + rich yankee with brand new boats= much humor... grin
Posted By: prm Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Originally Posted by ingwe
You should listen to some of the dudes on the outside of the counter.....

Never forget, these same people walk in the woods with loaded weapons. Be afraid... eek

Posted By: Brad Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12

Odd...

Gotta say it kinda bugs me too.

Maybe it's just a more "folksy" way to say cartridge... sort of like calling antlers, "horns."

Public boat ramp in the summer time + rich yankee with brand new boats= much humor... grin

Up here, too. The bass fishermen launch and load fast and with no fanfare.....well, most of them anyway!

Love when they leave the plug out! blush
Posted By: fish head Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Last two were turdy ought sixes..... whistle

Originally Posted by ingwe
Ahhhh yes...the "unbastardized" version of the .270...

Dats funny. Ha ha funny and not strange funny.

The turdy ought six has always been my most favorite caliber.

The good thing about it is you can buy shells anywhere.

smile
Or the bastids that forget to unstrap the boat? grin
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Up here, too. The bass fishermen launch and load fast and with no fanfare.....well, most of them anyway!

Love when they leave the plug out! blush
Im thinking about leaving it a turdy ought six for that reason exactly....
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12

Travis

Good luck with that endeavor and Uncle Rico (aka logcutter). Guess you won't be tackling rifle nomenclature 'til your next life. He could pay it forward though by teaching the difference between clip and magazine. Only because he's served...

Posted By: Teal Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
"If it doesn't work, I can always sale it in the classified..."

Drives me nuts.
Posted By: jwall Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Love when they leave the plug out! : blush

Uhhh, Bob, how'd you know from up there in NH???? I live in Ark. blush shocked grin
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Hmm. I work with words, and have learned some stuff about it over the years.

One of the basics is that all modern languages are living things. They change all the time, the reason dictionaries change--because dictionaries aren't derived from a panel of experts, but by "common usage." If a lot of people say "caliber" for "cartridge," then that's common usage. Someday soon caliber will probably be dictionary-listed as a synonym for cartridge.

By the way, neither my Webster's Unabridged or my compact copy of the Oxford English Dictionary make any differentiation between "revolver" and "pistol," something many shooters get nit-picky about.

Posted By: Teal Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
What's it say about "roscoe" or "heater"?
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the basics is that all modern languages are living things. They change all the time, the reason dictionaries change--because dictionaries aren't derived from a panel of experts, but by "common usage."

To what extent does that carry? Will their, there, and they're someday be listed as synonyms because they're (or is it their, or there?) commonly misused?

Posted By: writing_frog Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12

By a barrel in 7x64Brenneke (caliber? cartridge? i don't know but it obsoleted the 7x57)and you'll get a good hunting rig for a real rifle loony in the US of A...
Dom laugh
Posted By: exbiologist Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Originally Posted by Brad

Odd...

Gotta say it kinda bugs me too.

Maybe it's just a more "folksy" way to say cartridge... sort of like calling antlers, "horns."

Can't stand that one myself
Caliber and cartridge are very accurate and desciptive words but just don't seem to roll off the tongue.

However, 30-06 caliber bugs the schit out of me.
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
As a technical word "caliber" refers to bullet diameter. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

In the local area where I grew up any soft drink was "a coke". Obviously that was incorrect. But it was a common usage then and there.

cal�i�ber (kl-br)
n.
1. Abbr. cal.
a. The diameter of the inside of a round cylinder, such as a tube.
b. The diameter of the bore of a firearm, usually shown in hundredths or thousandths of an inch and expressed in writing or print in terms of a decimal fraction: .45 caliber.
c. The diameter of a large projectile, such as an artillery shell, measured in millimeters or in inches.
Posted By: wind_drift Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Yup, years back I spent a couple of summers doing angler surveys at lakes. The boat launch rodeo was a highlight. I suspect many divorce proceedings have been initated at a boat launch.
Have seen towing vehicles very nearly completely submerged. Once saw an old guy at a launch ramp trying to mount the outboard motor to the transom; it slipped off and he grabbed the oily rope that was tied to it but, no matter how much he squeezed, the rope continued to slip through his fingers until it just disappeared!
Hear in WI, Memorial day weekend kicks of the boating seeson. I spend at least one day of it at the ramp. Being a boater myself, and never left the plug out, straps on, ect, because I undo everything and then make a 360 around the boat and truck rechecking, befour backing down the ramp. The won I luv is the first tyme out for the seeson, get it started, back off the ramp, go about 20 yards, it dyes, crank a bit, then battery dyes, then they figure out gas line is not open/vent, never charged up the battery from all winter storage. Then have to padle back and wate for an open spot at the peer.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Bro Keith,

I sometimes wonder where some of the folks on here went to school. shocked

I, myself, went to some pretty podunk schools in my time. Yet in spite of that, I successfully managed to gradigiate (sp) from High School. I, also learned: Proper punctuation, reasonable grammar, and Bismillah; I EVEN learned to spell... smile

And all this with an I.Q. about 4 points above the average eggplant... grin

Also, I have heard of the "Dumbing Down" of America... Not only that, I have seen literal proof... grin

GH
Grass Hopper,
I went to a Catholic grade school with nuns, it made me a better person, BUT i never have developed great spelling, and here my ISpell does not work, or it is this damn Vista. I totally agree with the dumbming down, Here in Milwaukee 50 of the kids do not graduate from HS, and most of the ones that do are at about a 10th grade level compared to years back. Demand less, you get less!!!
Anyway was reading my 49 Edition Lyman reloading manual, they use caliber in place of cartridge in the area of talking about different primers affecting PSI and MV in "different Calibers", which in fact they would/could, but I think they meant cartridges.
Posted By: 338Rules Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
What's a Muzzle Break ?
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Nothing has changed for the better since the 1940s. I'm talkin' 'bout Nosler Partitions and bolt action 30-06s. Something 30 calibre chambered in something steel. Tr�s tubular.

It's depressing, ya know! Hell, I'd throw myself off a bridge, but they haven't changed them since the 1500s. Besides, it's the same old water, drank by, bathed in or peeeeeed in by countless long dead humans. Some famous, others not.

It's disgusting to think that I have put tapileen to my lips that was shat upon by a water buffalo in Africa. Who wants anything to do with Africa? Oh wait, my wife's from there. Nevermind.

30-06s or 7.62 x 63mm: In the end, they're all the same. They are identical to a plunge router, only they are powered with propellant, not 'lectricity and the bullets aren't called bits. But both have points and come off. Granted, routers are cheaper than rifles, but they are more difficult to use properly and aren't much good in a bar fight (unless you've got an extension cord). Come to think of it, I never used a router in any fights when I was posted to Europe.

But anyway, back to the rifles. They aren't like your lips or baby beef liver. They don't adapt to, or wrap around things. Rifles have to be chambered. Like a French upstairs maid or something...
Posted By: CaneSlinger Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12

By the way, neither my Webster's Unabridged or my compact ...

OMG, John! I can't believe you used or with neither. Tell me it was just a typo! blush

Jerry
Steve, you may not post often but, when you do, it's a humdinger.
Posted By: Amos Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Originally Posted by 338Rules
What's a Muzzle Break ?

A Muzzle Break is what happens when you are hunting and you fall down and the muzzle goes into the mud. Later that same day, a large buck steps out and you take a shot and...
Posted By: 5sdad Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/14/12
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
I successfully managed to gradigiate (sp) from High School.
GH

You just proved that you learned something while there. wink
Posted By: KyWindageII Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/15/12
There is only one CALIBER, .25. The Cartridge it is chambered for doesn't matter.
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/15/12
Graduating is overrated.

Think of it, you fail a few times and get to hang around the cute young girls longer. A lot of them will think you're hot because you're an "older" guy. Of course, there's that rebel thing going for you too! It's like this: You failed. You bucked the system. You stuck it to the man! In no time, you'll be screaming, "Get me a leather jacket!!"

But there are a couple of things to keep in mind. Times change. You will get older and may not be attracted to many of the young teenies anymore. Now's the time to move on to a hot looking teacher! The good looking ones will want you because they are not much older than you. There's also the excitement of robbing the cradle. Hey man, you're lookin' good! They're less intimidating too because you've been around the block!

After eight or nine years of high school, you will have learned what many credentialed folk discovered early in their teaching careers - 'tis better to remain ensconced within the walls of Monty Hall High. Out in the real world, life can be tough!

Ah-ha! Teachers get long summer breaks, professional development days and all the holidaze off! They earn tenure and are respected by others. They easily qualify for mortgages and car loans too.

But what's that you say? You're not bright enough to earn a degree? No worries! Date an older teacher. Look for one that's a little past her prime. Make her feel young again! She'll put you in touch with the right folks and soon you'll be working as the school custodian!

I know what you're thinking, but hear me out. You'll still get those long summer breaks, professional development days and all the holidaze off too, but without all the studying, exams, etc. And you'll earn tenure. Remember, you're a union man now!

Yes, a quick roll in the hay with a forty or fifty year old English teacher can pay off big time. It really is an investment in education and your future. And just think, there are no student loans to pay back!

Just mull it over for a while and you'll see the light. That's the calibre of man they're looking for!
DItto Steve, and nothing wrong with a older deprived woman, most are very appreciative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Teal Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/15/12
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Graduating is overrated.

Think of it, you fail a few times and get to hang around the cute young girls longer. A lot of them will think you're hot because you're an "older" guy. Of course, there's that rebel thing going for you too! It's like this: You failed. You bucked the system. You stuck it to the man! In no time, you'll be screaming, "Get me a leather jacket!!"

Posted By: fish head Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/15/12
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Yes, a quick roll in the hay with a forty or fifty year old English teacher can pay off big time. It really is an investment in education and your future. And just think, there are no student loans to pay back!

Bad, bad, bad advice. I've BTDT.

English teachers are batschit crazy! grin
Posted By: smithrjd Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/15/12
Here is a quote from an older WW Super ammo box, happens to be 300H&H but all were the same. The older "white box" ammo.
"WARNING Use only in Winchester and other standard arms in good condition designed and chambered by gun manufacturer for this caliber ammunition and so marked on the gun barrel."

So what is correct, chamber or caliber.............
Thinking about this I guess that perhaps using the same caliber ammo would cause less problems than the wrong caliber.. Or maybe not.
Fish Head,
I was in relations with 2 different teachers, both great rolls and BR aggressive, both kinda libs, BUT both controllers!! They forget to leave the "I am the teacher, you are the student" attitude at school. Very appreciative, not a finacial load, actually they bought me very nice things, but in hind site with there attitudes, most guys walked within 6 months, I did!
Posted By: jwall Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/15/12

If a lot of people say "caliber" for "cartridge," then that's common usage. Someday soon caliber will probably be dictionary-listed as a synonym for cartridge.

Best description & explaination...as usual. wink

In the South, caliber & cartridge are used interchangeably and I hear caliber more often than cartridge.

Jerry

Posted By: wind_drift Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/15/12
Well, I don't have many conversations with you folks, but it is enjoyable. I could liken it to heading down a winding forest road with lots of interesting things to stop and ponder and plenty of little side trails. For the most part the trails run parallel and eventually reconnect with the main route, but not always and can sure take you through some strange country even if you don't get lost.

Mule Deer, I totally get the whole language evolution thing, but this isn't the same a forming a new word like "emoticon" or "guesstimate", this is erroneous improper terminology tolerated.

By the way, my vote for best Should Be A New Word goes to "ignoranus", referring to someone who is simultaneously both stupid and an a$$hole.

Ooh, look...another trail...is a shotgun still a shotgun if it has a rifled barrel?
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/15/12
Groovy.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/15/12
I'm not that worried about it. In science, a theory has a very narrow definition, being a well-tested and generally accepted explanation of how something works. An educated guess in science is an hypothesis (should hypothesis be preceded by "an" or "a"?; to become a theory it must undergo, and be supported by, rigorous testing by many scientists.

But, when someone says "I have a theory about that" I don't get in a tither. Use the terminology myself rather loosely sometimes. Now back to my hay bailer. I will try not to be an ignoranus.
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/15/12
Here's a few that bug me:

It's 308 Winchester, not .308 Winchester;
45 Colt, not .45 Colt or Long Colt;
30-06, not .30-06;
270 Winchester, not .270 Winchester;
45-70, not .45-70 or .45/70;
and so on.

The leading decimal point does not belong in cartridge designations.
Posted By: doubletap Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/15/12
Originally Posted by BobnRoy257_b4_Bob257AI
DItto Steve, and nothing wrong with a older deprived woman, most are very appreciative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you get to be my age, you'll want the "older deprived" women to stay that way.
Posted By: CAPITALIST Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/18/12
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Here's a few that bug me:

It's 308 Winchester, not .308 Winchester;
45 Colt, not .45 Colt or Long Colt;
30-06, not .30-06;
270 Winchester, not .270 Winchester;
45-70, not .45-70 or .45/70;
and so on.

The leading decimal point does not belong in cartridge designations.

Well, I just had to check... it seems the jury is out on this one, as every box of Weatherby ammo that I have does indeed have the caliber preceded by a decimal point. And to further confuse the situation, when I look at the stacks of boxes of UMC brass awaiting the reloading press, exactly HALF are marked 40 S&W, and the other half... you guessed it: .40 S&W. So since I've always used the decimal completely without thought, I'm in decent company if I'm wrong.

Oops... did I just use "caliber" incorrectly? laugh whistle
Posted By: nifty-two-fifty Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/18/12
As P. T. Barnum may have said to his Ringmaster after watching the Human Cannonball make another successful flight across the arena into a net, "Where do we find men of such caliber?"
Posted By: jwall Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/18/12
Originally Posted by fish head

However, 30-06 caliber bugs the schit out of me.

Fish however - .308 CALIBER is correct & commonly used. whistle smile

Jerry
Posted By: SU35 Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/18/12
One of the basics is that all modern languages are living things. They change all the time, the reason dictionaries change--because dictionaries aren't derived from a panel of experts, but by "common usage." If a lot of people say "caliber" for "cartridge," then that's common usage. Someday soon caliber will probably be dictionary-listed as a synonym for cartridge.

I can't imagine Ken Howell or any other gun writer writing a book called

"Designing and Forming Custom Calibers" or "Calibers of the World"

It would only show extreme ignorance.
Posted By: 6.5whitetail Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/18/12
boolit
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/18/12
SU35,

I'm not talking about book titles, I'm talking about everyday conversation, much like we use on Campfire posts.

When people start getting pedantic about caliber and cartridge in conversation, I'm also reminded of people who have to correct everybody who says "antelope," pointing out they're pronghorns. Who cares, as along as the meaning is clear?
Posted By: pointer Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/18/12
SU35,

I'm not talking about book titles, I'm talking about everyday conversation, much like we use on Campfire posts.

When people start getting pedantic about caliber and cartridge in conversation, I'm also reminded of people who have to correct everybody who says "antelope," pointing out they're pronghorns. Who cares, as along as the meaning is clear?
Hey, I've shot Canadian geese before. I did it in Idaho. wink
Posted By: SU35 Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/18/12
Ok, John, I understand, It's the tier one wal-mart crowd that use the term along with clip for magazine.

Here's a new caliber 30-30 for this club. It reflects them and the term caliber just fine.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=31

grin
Posted By: 5sdad Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/18/12
Originally Posted by 6.5whitetail
boolit

I don't think that I could even say that abomination without throwing up a little bit in my mouth.
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/18/12
Originally Posted by pointer
SU35,

Hey, I've shot Canadian geese before. I did it in Idaho. wink

Ah, immigrants...
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/18/12
I used to know a trucker from central Montana who not only talked about Canadian geese but bull herrings.
Posted By: mathman Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/18/12
Boolits? How about heads for the same thing?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/18/12

By the way, neither my Webster's Unabridged or my compact copy of the Oxford English Dictionary make any differentiation between "revolver" and "pistol," something many shooters get nit-picky about.

In cowboy action circles, the discussion is about "pistols", one hardly ever hears the term, "revolver". The reasoning, handguns were all "pistols" until autoloaders came into being, at which time the distinction between "pistols" and "revolvers" evolved. The time frame of CAS is pre-autoloader, or before the introduction of 1911 Colt.

DF
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/18/12
A leaky limerick.

Western Partition

There once was a man from Montana
Who lived on Hawaiian bananas
He got shot in the gut
So they covered the cut
With bright yellow, Hawaiian bandanas!
Posted By: pointer Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/19/12
I used to know a trucker from central Montana who not only talked about Canadian geese but bull herrings.
Sweet! I'd like to see a cow herring.
Posted By: jwall Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/21/12
Originally Posted by fish head

cal�i�ber (kl-br)
n.
1. Abbr. cal.
a. The diameter of the inside of a round cylinder, such as a tube.
b. The diameter of the bore of a firearm, usually shown in hundredths or thousandths of an inch and expressed in writing or print in terms of a decimal fraction: .45 caliber.
c. The diameter of a large projectile, such as an artillery shell, measured in millimeters or in inches.

Yes, Fish, You and Wind Drift are correct. However in my 62 yrs I've never heard anyone ask, "What chambering is your rifle chambered for?" OR even "What cartridge is your rifle chambered in/for?"

I'm also PRETTY SURE I've never read it in any book or magazine.
I'd prabably be more accurate to say, I DON'T REMEMBER reading it anywhere, EVEN HERE.

IMHO, "what caliber is your rifle?" has become common usage.

When I was in school THRU high school the teachers fussed and said, "Ain't is NOT a word!!!" Well today Ain't is in the dictionary.

Caliber certainly designates the diameter of a bore or bullet.
We have applied it to the cartridge or chamber of guns.

Denotation---Connotation.

Jerry

Posted By: Mule Deer Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/21/12
Yeah, I have more important things to get upset about--or laugh at. The "front shoulder" of a deer or elk, for one.
Posted By: jwall Re: caliber? Aaargh! - 01/21/12
M D - I'd say those are more important and more interesting too.
© 24hourcampfire