Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
SU35,

I'm not talking about book titles, I'm talking about everyday conversation, much like we use on Campfire posts.

When people start getting pedantic about caliber and cartridge in conversation, I'm also reminded of people who have to correct everybody who says "antelope," pointing out they're pronghorns. Who cares, as along as the meaning is clear?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
SU35,

I'm not talking about book titles, I'm talking about everyday conversation, much like we use on Campfire posts.

When people start getting pedantic about caliber and cartridge in conversation, I'm also reminded of people who have to correct everybody who says "antelope," pointing out they're pronghorns. Who cares, as along as the meaning is clear?
Hey, I've shot Canadian geese before. I did it in Idaho. wink

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ok, John, I understand, It's the tier one wal-mart crowd that use the term along with clip for magazine.

Here's a new caliber 30-30 for this club. It reflects them and the term caliber just fine.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=31

grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 6.5whitetail
boolit

I don't think that I could even say that abomination without throwing up a little bit in my mouth.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by pointer
SU35,

Hey, I've shot Canadian geese before. I did it in Idaho. wink

Ah, immigrants...

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I used to know a trucker from central Montana who not only talked about Canadian geese but bull herrings.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Boolits? How about heads for the same thing?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Hmm. I work with words, and have learned some stuff about it over the years.

One of the basics is that all modern languages are living things. They change all the time, the reason dictionaries change--because dictionaries aren't derived from a panel of experts, but by "common usage." If a lot of people say "caliber" for "cartridge," then that's common usage. Someday soon caliber will probably be dictionary-listed as a synonym for cartridge.

By the way, neither my Webster's Unabridged or my compact copy of the Oxford English Dictionary make any differentiation between "revolver" and "pistol," something many shooters get nit-picky about.

In cowboy action circles, the discussion is about "pistols", one hardly ever hears the term, "revolver". The reasoning, handguns were all "pistols" until autoloaders came into being, at which time the distinction between "pistols" and "revolvers" evolved. The time frame of CAS is pre-autoloader, or before the introduction of 1911 Colt.

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A leaky limerick.

Western Partition

There once was a man from Montana
Who lived on Hawaiian bananas
He got shot in the gut
So they covered the cut
With bright yellow, Hawaiian bandanas!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to know a trucker from central Montana who not only talked about Canadian geese but bull herrings.
Sweet! I'd like to see a cow herring.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by fish head

cal�i�ber (kl-br)
n.
1. Abbr. cal.
a. The diameter of the inside of a round cylinder, such as a tube.
b. The diameter of the bore of a firearm, usually shown in hundredths or thousandths of an inch and expressed in writing or print in terms of a decimal fraction: .45 caliber.
c. The diameter of a large projectile, such as an artillery shell, measured in millimeters or in inches.

Yes, Fish, You and Wind Drift are correct. However in my 62 yrs I've never heard anyone ask, "What chambering is your rifle chambered for?" OR even "What cartridge is your rifle chambered in/for?"

I'm also PRETTY SURE I've never read it in any book or magazine.
I'd prabably be more accurate to say, I DON'T REMEMBER reading it anywhere, EVEN HERE.

IMHO, "what caliber is your rifle?" has become common usage.

When I was in school THRU high school the teachers fussed and said, "Ain't is NOT a word!!!" Well today Ain't is in the dictionary.

Caliber certainly designates the diameter of a bore or bullet.
We have applied it to the cartridge or chamber of guns.

Denotation---Connotation.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I have more important things to get upset about--or laugh at. The "front shoulder" of a deer or elk, for one.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
M D - I'd say those are more important and more interesting too.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,835
Posts18,478,075
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.