Home
Posted By: Berettaman Cold weather lubricant - 01/17/13
I have a Beretta 390 that I just love. It has performed flawlessly until this year and I dont think I can blame the gun. I have about 12,000 rounds through it.

I have been trying to find a good lubricant and I bought some synthetic stuff that said it was good down to -70F. Since I rarely go out if it is colder than -69F, I figured that was good. In all serioiusness, I routinely hunt to 0F in Minnesota and once in a while will hunt to -10F. Coldest so far was -22F. The action slams shut super quick in the house and then while deer hunting this year at about 15F, I shot a doe in the lungs and she took off. The gun jammed. I managed to get 3 shots into her, but was flabbergasted that I had experienced a jam. After she was dead, I noticed that the action closed super s-l-o-w-l-y. Back in the house later, it slammed shut fast again. So much for the lubricant. I have sinced been used that one again with the same result while pheasant hunting around the same temps. I am thinking that I just need to change to a better cold weather lube. Can someone recommend one?
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/17/13
God forbid that I ever have to be in cold like you lot have...I just use the old Military formula Breakfree that a fellow I know nicked from the army.

I ended up with some nine litres.
Posted By: mathman Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/17/13
A friend of mine has an ex who could have used some cold "weather" lubricant. grin
Posted By: deflave Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/17/13
CLP.

Travis
Posted By: oldguns Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/17/13
deflave...does CLP work in EXTREME cold conditions...like -20f
Posted By: mathman Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/17/13
Originally Posted by oldguns

If so, it may have helped by buddy slide past the permafrost. grin
Posted By: EDMHUNTER Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/17/13
Ezox.
Posted By: Berettaman Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13
Hey Travis,

Is that an acronym or if I ask for it will they know what that is? Since you are in MT, I am sure it gets plennnny cold there. By the way, I think this will be the first time I get to tell you to GFY! Thanks for the recommendation.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13
In extreme cold, totally degrease and replace with graphite.
Posted By: EdM Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13
A thin film of Shooters Choice All Temp red grease.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13

Originally Posted by deflave
CLP.

Travis

Originally Posted by Berettaman
Hey Travis,

Is that an acronym or if I ask for it will they know what that is?

I think he's trying to say he has a Child Like Penis
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13
http://tsi301.com/

dave
Posted By: oldguns Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13
EdM...Ezzox freezes up in extreme cold
Posted By: Seafire Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13
I know the Finns in WW 2, cut their gun oil lube with gasoline...

thinned the gun oil down by 75%...

in combat in cold weather, their firearms worked...

the Russians firearms were jamming...

dilution will lower the viscosity of the gun oil..

I use to hunt with in laws between Chisholm and International Falls.....father in law, used synthetic gun oil mixed 50/50 with Kerosene in an old Semi Auto Winchester 351... it never had a jamming problem.

I used a Rem 700 bolt gun and a 444 Marlin, and his gun lube concoction and never had an issue...but those are easier not to jam, than a semi auto..
Posted By: selmer Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13
CLP - Cleaner Lubricant Protection And yes, this works as a cold weather lube for my applications, but I don't use semi-autos, though I do hunt in weather as cold as yours, as I'm in MN also. CLP is or at least was the standard issue military lubricant.
Posted By: HalH Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13
G96 gun oil is good to -65.

Hal
Posted By: seppli Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13
CLP by Break-Free. I've used it on my semi-auto shotgun for many years, shooting upland birds in temperatures down to -20 degrees F with no problems, at least not with the gun cycling properly (couldn't say the same about the dogs or me at those temperatures). I've tried a few other products that did slow the action down or totally seized up in real cold weather, but haven't had it happen with CLP.

You mentioned the action closing slowly. I try to use very little on the action when getting ready to use it in really cold weather.

I looked at the website for TSI 301 that was recommended above. It showed a comparison to WD-40 and states that TSI 301 has a pour point of -60 degrees F while WD-40 pours down to -100 degrees F. I've tried WD-40 many years ago, and had it seize up my gun at temps below zero, and was part of the reason I ended up going to CLP. Based on pour points, it looks like TSI-30 could seize up at warmer temperatures than WD-40, so I'd assume they'll both seize up at temps warmer than what CLP will function in.
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13
Nothing. Degrease the action and firing pin and run it dry. Maybe sprinkle a little powdered graphite in the bolt raceway if necessary, but no liquids.
Posted By: rta48 Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13
Berettaman, a very lite coat of CLP should do the trick. However, it sounds like you probably are starting to have recoil spring issue's (the spring in the butt stock) it's a cheap easy fix, try it!

Randy
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13
Use CLP sparingly, and clean, lube, protect, and probably replace the recoil spring.
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13
RemOil handles freezing temps very well. Seems to be a mix of a little very high grade oil with a bunch of solvent, making it easy to leave a very light coating.
I have now been using it on rifles pistols and shotguns for several years with no complaints. It has turned out to be effective in my smokeless muzzleloader breech.
CLP is good stuff, but RemOil seems to be easier to find hereabouts.
Posted By: deflave Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13

In my experience it does.

Travis
Posted By: deflave Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Hey Travis,

Is that an acronym or if I ask for it will they know what that is? Since you are in MT, I am sure it gets plennnny cold there. By the way, I think this will be the first time I get to tell you to GFY! Thanks for the recommendation.

It's made by Breakfree. Cleans, lubricates, and protects. Just like a condom.

I've never had a problem with it functioning in 20 below or worse. I use it on all my autos. Pistols, two shotguns, and of course my AR.

GFY,
Travis
Posted By: iddave Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13
Originally Posted by fishdog52
RemOil handles freezing temps very well. Seems to be a mix of a little very high grade oil with a bunch of solvent, making it easy to leave a very light coating.
I have now been using it on rifles pistols and shotguns for several years with no complaints. It has turned out to be effective in my smokeless muzzleloader breech.
CLP is good stuff, but RemOil seems to be easier to find hereabouts.

I've had the same experience. When the SBE gets slow in the duck blind in January, I give it a quick shot and it gets back to spitting out hulls toot sweet.
Posted By: akpls Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13
What's your definition of "extreme?" It's all I've used on my guns here in Interior AK and it's never frozen up....to the -40's anyway. Colder than that is too cold to hunt.
Posted By: jpb Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13

Well, sure. You don't have your location in your profile, but I guess "extreme cold" there must colder than -95F.

I live near the Arctic Circle now and have lived other places that get down to -45F so that is as cold as I have used Eezox personally on a firearm. No notable change at -45F.

As an experiment, I did put a can of Eezox in my Ultracold freezer (which is normally used for DNA samples) at the university. At the time, this freezer was running at -65C (which is -85F) and if it had "frozen up" I sure could not see it.

I wonder if are confusing up Eezox with something else, or if perhaps you had not cleaned off other lubricants before putting Eezox on?

Cheers,

John
Posted By: oldguns Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13
jpb...used Eezox on a Canadian deer hunt in Manitoba..applied as directed....action on bolt action became extremely "sticky" temps were minus 20sfar...removed/cleaned Eeezox from action ..action functioned better in cold
Posted By: selmer Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/18/13
oldguns, pure speculation here, but what likely happened is the Eezox cleaned the old, gummy lube off of your bolt and when you cleaned the Eezox off, it took the other lubes with it. Eezox is good stuff, but no lube will perform as advertised unless you clean the previous stuff off first. And maybe you did, it's just a guess.
Posted By: kalbrecht Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/19/13
I used to work at a ski area doing avalanche control. We cleaned and lubed our 75mm Recoiless Rifles with Breakfree CLP that we bought by the gallon. No problems in cold weather at all.
Posted By: stray round Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/19/13
Originally Posted by rta48
Berettaman, a very lite coat of CLP should do the trick. However, it sounds like you probably are starting to have recoil spring issue's (the spring in the butt stock) it's a cheap easy fix, try it!

Randy

And make sure the tube the spring rides in is clean too. If you have that many rounds through your gun it wouldn't hurt to replace your magazine spring and clean the magazine tube.

Posted By: 60n148w Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/19/13
I was just told a couple of days ago that Beluga whale oil was good for cold weather lube. The mrs.has some in the freezer ,going to have her render some down and see.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/19/13
Originally Posted by HalH
G96 gun oil is good to -65.

Hal

Thats what I use as well,works good here in Alberta.Even my 11-87 functions in extreme cold.
Posted By: zeeroc Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/19/13
Lockease graphite, from local hardware store.I use it on all my serious use guns. But you have to degrease the gun completely, put car wax on the exterior, 2 coats of was, coz nothing about this graphite is rustproofing! Also, only put the most minute amount of it, and only on the highest friction parts of the action, cause this stuff is messy and it 'migrates" a lot in the gun. but it will "unfreeze" an iced up doorlock on a car, quite often! it is amazing stuff.
Posted By: jpb Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/19/13
jpb...used Eezox on a Canadian deer hunt in Manitoba..applied as directed....action on bolt action became extremely "sticky" temps were minus 20sfar...removed/cleaned Eeezox from action ..action functioned better in cold

Ah, Manitoba was one of the places I used to live! It surely does get REALLY cold there! I remember one day it was -47C (-53F) when the vinyl seat on my truck cracked into little fragments when I hopped in. frown

I used the minimum amount of lube (for Eezox and everything else), so perhaps that might account for some of the difference in our experiences.

Also, now that I think about it, in both my Rem 700 and Ruger M77, I had replaced the firing pin springs with stronger Wolf brand springs I ordered from Brownells. That might have helped too!

Hope that you didn't lose a shot at an animal!

Cheers,

John
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/19/13

That's not what I'd call extreme. That's the temperature where a Polaris runs at its best.

But anyways I've been out wolf hunting in -35* F with a Break-Free lubed Daewoo K2 that got caked with snow from being slung across my back on a sno-go and it chattered away with every squeeze of the trigger.

Any colder than that I prefer to stay home and throw wood on the fire.
Posted By: deflave Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/19/13
Originally Posted by stevelyn

That's not what I'd call extreme. That's the temperature where a Polaris runs at its best.

But anyways I've been out wolf hunting in -35* F with a Break-Free lubed Daewoo K2 that got caked with snow from being slung across my back on a sno-go and it chattered away with every squeeze of the trigger.

Any colder than that I prefer to stay home and throw wood on the fire.

That's the TRUFE!

Travis
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/19/13
CLP is what I use now, but i'm going to give 0-40 mobile 1 a couple of tests in my AR.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/19/13
Spit.
Posted By: wageslave Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/19/13
WHAT?
That figures.
Go shave your balls again. grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/19/13
Originally Posted by Tanner
Spit.

Tuner, I think they are talking about lubricant for outdoor type machines, not indoor type recreation... whistle
Haters...
Posted By: deflave Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/19/13
Spit.

60% of the time, it works every time.

Travis
Posted By: ingwe Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/19/13
Haters...

We just hate you because you are young...
That's real nice. REAL mature.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/19/13
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
CLP is what I use now, but i'm going to give 0-40 mobile 1 a couple of tests in my AR.

I've been thinking about that also.

What vehicle are you using it in?
Posted By: Berettaman Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/19/13
Thanks for all of the great advice guys, I am going to buy some CLP and give that a go.

I replaced the spring in the stock last summer, so that shouldnt be it. the whole gun is due for a good cleaning though, so that is step 1.

By the way, the airtemp here is about 0 (not that cold) on its way to -20 tonight. However, with 25-40 mph winds and gusts to 56, it sucks out right now. That wind is something else!
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/20/13
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

I've been thinking about that also.

What vehicle are you using it in?

2013 Audi S6

Yeah, I wish..

I just have a quart to test.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/20/13
I was talking to my super farmer buddy the other day and he said they put 0-40w in a loader tractor. Kind of a test I guess, they'd never used it before.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/20/13
I was running 5-40 synthetic in the power choke when I had it.. good stuff.
Posted By: Horseman Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/20/13
Rem oil is so thin it's good for cold. Wipe away all the excess and all that's left is a very thin film of teflon. I've not found anything better for cold.
Posted By: akpls Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/20/13
I recently found this stuff that's made for Harmon by Slip2000. Looks to be good to temps way lower or higher than any of us could hunt in.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/20/13
Holy crap! Some of you guys' winter temps is unreal. If it gets down to +20 around here people start dying. whistle
Not necessarily a bad thing sometimes...
Posted By: shortleade Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/20/13
As a kid in the UP, my family used Dri-Slide. Several of them shot Rem742's and I do not recall any jamming issues. Their technical data sheets claim effectiveness to -20 F.
It is my favorite lube in AR type weapons.

Posted By: yukonphil Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/20/13
CLP is really working great.
Posted By: shaman Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/21/13
This is just pure supposition, but follow me:

1) Ed's Red starts with Kerosene and ATF. Those two components make a pretty handy gun oil mixed 50/50
2) Does ATF ever freeze? If so, are there Automatic Transmission Fluids that don't?

I would think that 50/50 Kerosene and ATF would make a good gun oil for any temperature, low or high.

Just wondering. By the time hit hits 15F, my freezer is full of venison, and I don't come out until Spring Gobbler Season.

Posted By: ironbender Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/23/13
Haven't used it, but I'd expect a low-viscosity synthetic motor oil to not freeze.

I have a small bottle of royal Purple syn oil that I use.
Posted By: swarf Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/24/13
Everyone is always talking about Dexron II and III ATF. Has anyone ever tried synthetic ATF? Synthetic is always suposed to be slipreyer, and synthetic more temp resistant.

I'll send $5.00 to anyone who lives in an icebox to put towards some to test.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/24/13
back in the early 90s, I tried a light coat of Mobil One 5w30 ona bolt action Browning and Rem 700.. even around zero it was pretty darn gummy....

normal gun oil I learned later is a lighter viscosity...

I have some left around here that I got back in Minnesota, Castrol Synthetic Gun oil...that worked fairly well, I tried it after I had tried the Mobil One..

I did basic training in the winter in Oklahoma, and I remember they brought out some different gun oil for us to use on the M16s on the firing line...
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/25/13
Lighter Fluid
Posted By: LostHighway Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/25/13
EEzoz is rated to -95F
CLP to -65F
If you are having a problem in cold weather it isn't the fault of the above products. Maybe a good cleaning with a solvent to strip the old lubricate that had the above on layered top of it.
I use CLP in my Beretta Auto 12 ga. down to -10 and in my bolt rifles to -20. Never a problem. I would NOT recommend using a motor oil or WD40 in an auto shotgun or anything else. They are dirt magnets.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/25/13
From FM 31-70 APPENDIX D

During the winter, weapons must be stripped completely and cleaned with a drycleaning solvent to remove all lubricants and rust prevention compounds. The prescribed application of lubrication oil, weapons (LAW or Lubricant, Semi-Fluid, MIL-L-46000(LSA)) should then be made. These lubricants will provide proper lubrication during the winter and help minimize snow and ice from freezing on the weapons.
Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: Cold weather lubricant - 01/25/13
Does motor oil displace water like gun oil? I don't think so, and neither did the guy at Royal Purple who recommended their gun oil over their motor oil.
© 24hourcampfire