Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Beretta 390 that I just love. It has performed flawlessly until this year and I dont think I can blame the gun. I have about 12,000 rounds through it.

I have been trying to find a good lubricant and I bought some synthetic stuff that said it was good down to -70F. Since I rarely go out if it is colder than -69F, I figured that was good. In all serioiusness, I routinely hunt to 0F in Minnesota and once in a while will hunt to -10F. Coldest so far was -22F. The action slams shut super quick in the house and then while deer hunting this year at about 15F, I shot a doe in the lungs and she took off. The gun jammed. I managed to get 3 shots into her, but was flabbergasted that I had experienced a jam. After she was dead, I noticed that the action closed super s-l-o-w-l-y. Back in the house later, it slammed shut fast again. So much for the lubricant. I have sinced been used that one again with the same result while pheasant hunting around the same temps. I am thinking that I just need to change to a better cold weather lube. Can someone recommend one?

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
God forbid that I ever have to be in cold like you lot have...I just use the old Military formula Breakfree that a fellow I know nicked from the army.

I ended up with some nine litres.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A friend of mine has an ex who could have used some cold "weather" lubricant. grin

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
CLP.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
deflave...does CLP work in EXTREME cold conditions...like -20f

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by oldguns
deflave...does CLP work in EXTREME cold conditions...like -20f

If so, it may have helped by buddy slide past the permafrost. grin

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Ezox.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Hey Travis,

Is that an acronym or if I ask for it will they know what that is? Since you are in MT, I am sure it gets plennnny cold there. By the way, I think this will be the first time I get to tell you to GFY! Thanks for the recommendation.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
In extreme cold, totally degrease and replace with graphite.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A thin film of Shooters Choice All Temp red grease.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by deflave
CLP.

Travis

Originally Posted by Berettaman
Hey Travis,

Is that an acronym or if I ask for it will they know what that is?

I think he's trying to say he has a Child Like Penis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
EdM...Ezzox freezes up in extreme cold

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I know the Finns in WW 2, cut their gun oil lube with gasoline...

thinned the gun oil down by 75%...

in combat in cold weather, their firearms worked...

the Russians firearms were jamming...

dilution will lower the viscosity of the gun oil..

I use to hunt with in laws between Chisholm and International Falls.....father in law, used synthetic gun oil mixed 50/50 with Kerosene in an old Semi Auto Winchester 351... it never had a jamming problem.

I used a Rem 700 bolt gun and a 444 Marlin, and his gun lube concoction and never had an issue...but those are easier not to jam, than a semi auto..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CLP - Cleaner Lubricant Protection And yes, this works as a cold weather lube for my applications, but I don't use semi-autos, though I do hunt in weather as cold as yours, as I'm in MN also. CLP is or at least was the standard issue military lubricant.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
G96 gun oil is good to -65.

Hal

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
CLP by Break-Free. I've used it on my semi-auto shotgun for many years, shooting upland birds in temperatures down to -20 degrees F with no problems, at least not with the gun cycling properly (couldn't say the same about the dogs or me at those temperatures). I've tried a few other products that did slow the action down or totally seized up in real cold weather, but haven't had it happen with CLP.

You mentioned the action closing slowly. I try to use very little on the action when getting ready to use it in really cold weather.

I looked at the website for TSI 301 that was recommended above. It showed a comparison to WD-40 and states that TSI 301 has a pour point of -60 degrees F while WD-40 pours down to -100 degrees F. I've tried WD-40 many years ago, and had it seize up my gun at temps below zero, and was part of the reason I ended up going to CLP. Based on pour points, it looks like TSI-30 could seize up at warmer temperatures than WD-40, so I'd assume they'll both seize up at temps warmer than what CLP will function in.

Last edited by seppli; 01/18/13. Reason: Add comments on TSI 301
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing. Degrease the action and firing pin and run it dry. Maybe sprinkle a little powdered graphite in the bolt raceway if necessary, but no liquids.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Berettaman, a very lite coat of CLP should do the trick. However, it sounds like you probably are starting to have recoil spring issue's (the spring in the butt stock) it's a cheap easy fix, try it!

Randy

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Use CLP sparingly, and clean, lube, protect, and probably replace the recoil spring.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 56 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,570
Posts18,473,278
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.