Home
I saw Melvin Forbes last night on the NRA American Rifleman
last night.
Really good interview with him.
AMRA
Sounds great. Sorry I missed it.
Interesting. He said he starts with the front action screw, his balance point. Anything he adds in front of the screw he adds in back of it so that the finished rifle balances between the hands and points quick and natural. And more about small actions, total psi experienced by. Clear and down to earth guy, and very smart.
He will put lead in the stock to balance on the screw if you insist on a heavier barrel contour. Very nice man to deal with. My first NULA is shipping this week.
Did he say the front action screw for long or short actions? I would think it would be different depending. Curious.
My son and I met Mr. Forbes at one of the NRA nationals in Charlotte a few years back. Great guy to speak with. Knows what he has, knows how he got there, and knows how to stay there.....at least then. This new Forbes rifle may or may not be a good idea. We'll see. Anyway, traffic was thin at the time and we spent probably 15 minutes at his booth handling every rifle he brought and offering free advise on how he could improve them smile. Learned he can retort with the best. Stinging but not insulting. It was all in fun. Learned another thing as well; he probably wouldn't make a rifle with a floorplate if God himself put in the order. Overall a very good experience, and even a better glimpse at the person behind the company than the TV show.
SeanD,

Usually (but not always) people choose longer, heavier barrels for the longer-action NULA's, and as a result the balance point does usually end up somewhere around the front action screw.

The obvious exception would be a heavy-barrled varmint rifle, and yes, Melvin does make some, with a special wide-forend stock. He loaned me a heavy-barreled .223 for a while that was one of the most accurate .223's I've ever shot.
If my short action gun shoots as well as I am anticipating, I am going to place an order for a 280 or 280AI quickly. Would probably go with a 24 inch #2. I am assuming he will weight the stock as he sees fit for balance. A little forward balance would not be a big deal for me.
Had a Nula .280AI in my hands. Wasn't all that thrilled with the balance in that it wanted to fall on its nose. Proceed carefully and don't assume what he will or will not do.
Within the limits of the "platform," Melvin will do what the customer wants.

Did you order the .280 AI from him?
Wasn't mine. I just picked it up off the rack of finished rifles when I was down there. Perhaps it is what the customer requested.

I can tell Bonefish it is best to know and not guess that Melvin will do.

Two examples: I told him what LOP I wanted and he said no you want longer. I mounted a rifle and also mentioned heavy clothes. He watched me mount and said shorter is right for you.

My nula .22-250 is perfect. I assumed he would use the same barrel length on the .223AI. He didn't, and it isn't perfect in that it is a little lighter in the front than I would like.
22 cal. Centerfire would be a fun gun to own in a lightweight bolt action configuration. I have virtually no use for such a rig but would love to have one. Would be more interesting than an AR to me.
Originally Posted by bonefish
22 cal. Centerfire would be a fun gun to own in a lightweight bolt action configuration. I have virtually no use for such a rig but would love to have one. Would be more interesting than an AR to me.

A lightweight 22 cal centerfire (especially fast twist) is an easy gun to find a use for. Coyotes, crows, groundhogs, bobcats, deer...and of course paper...with the right bullet there isn't much it can't do around here.
No doubt the .22 CF's are fun. Even more fun is a Nula .22LR. Shot 150 rounds out of mine today on a walking steel course with targets that go out to around 100yards. No reloading, no recoil, accurate and great for keeping in tune.

Mood strikes grab 3-4 boxes and hit the range. Shoot, sweep up the empties, done and more than a little accomplished in little time.
I just sold my longer range / western big game rifle. Need to replace that. Just bought a 260 which should handle whitetail deer, hogs, and coyotes. .223 carry rifle will be on the wish list for later. I own 2 nice 22's and a 17hmr. They are fun to plink with and shoot small stuff with. A NULA .22lr. Would be nice to have. I have almost ordered one twice. Need to replace the big rifle first. That will happen in the next month or so. Likely will be a NULA but not positive. I spoke with Jim Borden about building a 280AI and it would be 12 months out and the better part of 5k. Not going to do a Borden.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by bonefish

A lightweight 22 cal centerfire (especially fast twist) is an easy gun to find a use for. Coyotes, crows, groundhogs, bobcats, deer...and of course paper...with the right bullet there isn't much it can't do around here.

I have two NULA's a .223 and a 22-250 both 1-8" twist. They are great rifles and as you mentioned quite capable.

22-250
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.22-250
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.22-250
[Linked Image]

bonefish,

After I first started fooling with NULA's in the late 1980's (when they were ULA's, not NULA's), I eventually tried the .257 Roberts Ackley Improved,.270 Winchester, 7x57, .300 Winchester Magnum and .338-06. (Already had a lightweight Gentry .280.)

Eventually I realized that I'd been rifle-loony-dancing around the .30-06, so got one in the mid-90's. Have since used it on a pile of game in North America, Africa and New Zealand, without any dissatisfaction. Did finally add a .257 Weatherby a few years ago, but the .30-06 would have served just as well.
MD,
I am going to contain myself for the moment and enjoy the new NULA 260. It is supposed to ship Monday. I am cancelling a "poor man's' mule deer hunt in Nebraska this year so there is probably nothing I cannot do with the 260 in TN and MS. I was worried about the 260 being enough gun for longer range shots on deer. Now not as worried as folks have chimed in. Looks like there is a trend of, mainly Texas folks, that are shooting deer with heavy .223 cal bullets. If they can pull this off, my 260 should do fine. A 30-06 would functionally serve the same niche as a 280AI. I have enjoyed a 280AI but any 30/06 class cartridge would likely be fine.
Bonefish,

Actually, all these were taken with 64 gr Nosler's not all that heavy. I've used bullets from 50-75 grs in 22 CF's to take deer size game. I can't imagine a deer your 260 wouldn't handle.
I can't either, having taken quite a few big northern deer, both whitetails and muleys, with cartridges like the .243 Winchester, .257 Roberts and 6.5x55.
I don't think Melvin liked my scope choice. Went with a Trijicon 3x9 duplex. He said it would probably work if he could turn the dot off to shoot the gun. He also added that he was simply sighting in the gun as it did not need to be tested. Pretty funny. I like his confidence.
battue,

So you picked up a NULA rifle at a show, that you didn't order, and didn't like the balance. Then you assumed the second rifle you ordered from Melvin would have the same barrel length as the first. Didn't you fill out an order sheet for the second rifle?

Yes, you're correct. You shouldn't ASSUME a custom riflemaker will do what you want unless you tell him. I've experienced that a number of times with various custom makers, but when I've filled out one of Melvin's order sheets, the rifle turned out the way I wanted it. And when he questioned some feature I wanted (as most custom makers do), when I explained my reason he said fine--just as he did with your LOP.

One reason many custom rifle makers (not all) question their customers is many customers don't really know what they want. Consequently, when they receive the rifle they ordered, they whine.

So yes, you should never ASSUME what will be delivered. Instead you should spell it out.

bonefish,

I have seen Melvin take a brand-new Leupold scope out of the box, mount it on one of his rifles, and hit within 3" of the aiming point at 100 yards. That's how well his rifles and mounts are aligned. Yep, he's pretty confident!
I watched that interview then it was on earlier this year and was impressed with Melvin his process for designing his rifles.

It was after I read Mule Deer's Honest Guns column in RLN spring 2011 that I realized I really "needed" a NULA smile and it had to be a 30-06!

Actually I read it many times! But since we are now reduced to one income not the old days of two good incomes it would be need to be a NULA clone in other words a Forbes from Titan.

At the time folks were waiting over a year for one, but I received a call from the local gun store. A customer had ordered one 18 months earlier but when the gun arrived he had left town and was no where to be found. Turns out it was a 30-06 and I had to have it!

Taking it out of its wrap there were two problems, first the dealer could not find the talleys (I think he lost them) second the stock had paint issues. Rick Campbell at Forbes took good care of me and I had a free set of talleys in 3 days! Being at the start of hunting season I decided to wait on the paint issues and used it all fall. The rifle is a dream to carry and was surprising on how the POI of various loads and manufactures were within a inch of each other.

After new years day I sent it back to have the paint issue addressed. They came to the conclusion that the stock had not dried enough before it was packaged and shipped. The factory stripped, primed and painted it. There were paint supply issues and it took much longer than I expected but the results were worth the wait! It is perfect now and I purchased a second 24B in 25-06 that was for sale here in the classifieds.

The good and bad

I love the rifles but I do see a customer service issue at Titan-Forbes rifles, whenever you call for a customer service issue you always are directed to Rick, he has been more than helpful and treated me great but when he is out for a week or more and the costumer still has to wait for him that is a problem It is also a problem that is fixable. Rick needs to have a team backing him up.

I have 40 years working for several of the biggest and best major corporations, I have seen how a great product is toast if you do not have a smooth running customer support system. I am sure that with a few changes it would clear up a lot of the costumers complaints I see here.

What I said:

Originally Posted by battue
Wasn't mine. I just picked it up off the rack of finished rifles when I was down there. Perhaps it is what the customer requested.

What show? However, did say off the rack when I was "down there". As in down there in his garage where he makes rifles and added perhaps that is what the customer ordered. Didn't get into those particulars, just that I wasn't all that particularly fond about that particular rifles balance.

"Down there" is Pittsburghese for when we head South. Sometimes we even say "downtown" when we are heading into the city or to the main street of any small town. Doesn't make any difference if it is N or S or if we have to go up or down.

Second rifle: What order sheet? " Rinnnnng, Rinnnng. Hello Melvin Forbes, etc, etc." "Melvin, its H��., etc,etc concluding with "Make me up a .223AI with a 1:8. Let me know when it is ready. I'll send you some money and pay the rest at the end when I pick it up. Thanks, see ya. We will worry about colors when you are ready to paint"" First I saw an order sheet was the day I picked it up.

Not faulting Melvin at all and I obviously made the wrong assumption. No big deal I can live with it, but I can point out my mistakes to someone else.

At least I assume I can. grin

And innnn ADDITION: We-as in Melvin and I-talked and he filled out an order sheet for the .22-250. I ordered a 1:8 from him and he ordered a 1:10 from Douglas. Took awhile shooting to figure things out and then he checked his order records and discovered he ordered the 1:10. He adamantly insisted to put another barrel on it, and I adamantly said I would keep it as is. Shoots lights all out with 55gr TTSX, but leaves some lights on with 62gr TTSX. Again, I could live with it.

.....but I can point out my mistakes to someone else.

grin

Harry, you must not be a married man. Or you wouldn't have to.
battue,

Guess I made an assumption too. Didn't know what you meant by "down there." Most of the people who handle Melvin's rifles do so at a major sporting goods show, whether Harrisburg or SHOT, since relatively few go to his shop.

Most also fill out an order sheet. Some do so over the phone, but some do so themselves, since one has been on his website for years. It's called up by clicking on "Printable order form" on the left side of the home page.

Good to know you weren't complaining about Melvin's customer service, which wasn't plain from your first post.
Smokepole: A women doesn't want to hear what you think. She wants to hear what she thinks in a deeper voice. Still you gotta love some of them. Especially those willing to put up with the hunter/shooter types.

Mule Deer and everyone else: Didn't in anyway mean to criticize Melvin or his customer service. Melvin is top shelf in my book. If you disagree with him it's best to be up on the subject, but Melvin wants each and every customer to be satisfied with their rifle.
MuleDeer:

Thinking back I did see an order sheet before I picked it up in that he sent me one that indicated the amount of my deposit. Looked at it and filled it away without checking all the particulars. Again, my error not his and not that big of a deal. It shoots better than the .22-250.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
bonefish,

After I first started fooling with NULA's in the late 1980's (when they were ULA's, not NULA's), I eventually tried the .257 Roberts Ackley Improved,.270 Winchester, 7x57, .300 Winchester Magnum and .338-06. (Already had a lightweight Gentry .280.)

Eventually I realized that I'd been rifle-loony-dancing around the .30-06, so got one in the mid-90's. Have since used it on a pile of game in North America, Africa and New Zealand, without any dissatisfaction. Did finally add a .257 Weatherby a few years ago, but the .30-06 would have served just as well.

Yeh, but that 30-06 kicks grin
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
bonefish,

Yeh, but that 30-06 kicks grin

I would imagine a 6 1/2 lb 30-06 with 165 or 180g's would pop pretty good on the bench. For me this would be a non issue hunting but a teeth rattler on the bench.
The recoil from a NULA 30-06 is much less than I expected. The stock handles recoil very well. The rifle seems to recoil straight back. Mine is ~6.5lbs scoped. I have a Montana in .308 that is ~6lbs scoped. The recoil from the Montana shooting 150's seems sharper (with more barrel rise) than the recoil from the NULA shooting 165's.
Found the same to be true in that off the bench with the same cartridge I get more barrel flip with a Kimber vs a Nula.

May be one of the reasons some have problems with Kimbers off the bench.
My goal will be to find a load the NULA likes and only take it back to the bench to check POI.
For anybody interested, Dennis shot ONE round from my NULA .30-06--and it was the discontinued Federal 180-graiun Trophy Bonded High Energy load. It shot pretty well in the rifle (minute of elk, anyway) and averaged around 2940 fps, which is a little more than the average 180-grain .30-06 handload.
With a 180 doing 2940 from an 06 who needs a 300 win mag !
No wonder he remembers the kick. I shot a standard 700 30/06 with Hornady Superformance 180's. Sighted it in for a friend. I was ready to give that gun back asap. It was much heavier than a NULA. Heavy 30/06 loads with 180's have some pop.
Yeah, I wasn't all that unhappy when that load was discontinued. By then I was older and becoming less fond of recoil--and also had enough experience to realize there's no need to get the snot kicked out of you to kill big game!

These days I usually use milder handloads in that rifle. In fact last fall worked up a load that only gets about 2900 out of a 150-grain Cutting Edge Raptor. Accuracy is great, and the bullet is plenty for anything in Montana. Best of all, it doesn't kick much!
There is a lot to like in a .308 Winchester. smile
I've had a LH ULA 30-06 for about 12 years. It has a #2 or #3 barrel(not sure which) that provides a steady hold and recoil reduction. It is the most accurate big game rifle I have and it is a sweetie to shoot.

Will be taking it to Wyoming this Fall for bull Elk. I plan to use the JB load of 58.0 H-4350/165 NAB. The area I'm hunting(Fortification) is very open and 300 yd shots are not unusual.

I've got five other ULA's and they all very accurate and easy to load for and shoot. Have known Melvin for about 15 years and he is the smartest and most creative gun maker of a lot of generations. He is also one helluva great guy.

Steve
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
I've had a LH ULA 30-06 for about 12 years. It has a #2 or #3 barrel(not sure which) that provides a steady hold and recoil reduction. It is the most accurate big game rifle I have and it is a sweetie to shoot.

Will be taking it to Wyoming this Fall for bull Elk. I plan to use the JB load of 58.0 H-4350/165 NAB. The area I'm hunting(Fortification) is very open and 300 yd shots are not unusual.

I've got five other ULA's and they all very accurate and easy to load for and shoot. Have known Melvin for about 15 years and he is the smartest and most creative gun maker of a lot of generations. He is also one helluva great guy.

Steve

I have my first NULA coming my way next week. Melvin has been very fun to talk to. If this gun impresses me as much as I anticipate, I will place another order quickly.
bonefish,

I'd be amazed if you were not delighted with your NULA. What cartridge is it made for?

Melvin was originally a high school teacher and he is incredibly talented in making complicated gun info very clear. He explains why and how he designed a rifle a particular way.

You've got some really good shooting right around the corner.

Steve
For anybody interested, Dennis shot ONE round from my NULA .30-06--and it was the discontinued Federal 180-graiun Trophy Bonded High Energy load. It shot pretty well in the rifle (minute of elk, anyway) and averaged around 2940 fps, which is a little more than the average 180-grain .30-06 handload.

Although I had shot harder kicking rifles at that point in my life, I had never felt a 30-06 snap like that one did. It just surprised me considering that 99% of my 30-06 experience had been with my pre-64 and 150 grain loads!
Yeah, it would be surprising in comparison!

I suspect some of it is recoil velocity, which is faster in a light rifle. According to the Sierra program, that load in the NULA produced 18.4 fps of recoil velocity. The load I use in my 9-pound .375 H&H, with 300's at 2550, produces 17.9 fps.

The recoil energy is calculated at 34 foot-pounds for the .30-06 and 44 for the .375.
Yeah, I understand where Dennis is coming from. That "slap" will sure get your attention, whereas the big push of the .375 is to me a lot more pleasant.

I guess part of what is felt is recoil velocity/momentum and how fast that light gun comes back at ya... shocked

DF
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
bonefish,

I'd be amazed if you were not delighted with your NULA. What cartridge is it made for?

Melvin was originally a high school teacher and he is incredibly talented in making complicated gun info very clear. He explains why and how he designed a rifle a particular way.

You've got some really good shooting right around the corner

Steve

260 Rem. Stainless #1 contour 22".
Smokepole: A women doesn't want to hear what you think. She wants to hear what she thinks in a deeper voice.

What?! Wait. Is this general knowledge? No one told me this.
I went to the range tonight with my 5 year old and a couple of rimfires. Watched a guy who was "breaking in" his new barrel shoot 3 shots into exactly one hole at 100. Was a fairly heavy 22 inch Bartlein barrel, BAT action, and adjustable comb manners stock. I am always in awe of these machines that shoot like this. I always want one after seeing these groups. Later I realize that there is nothing I would use a gun like this for other than sitting at the bench and impressing myself and others. No way would I ever take a 12 lb gun big game hunting. I am excited about my NULA that will not shoot 1 hole groups but will be a pleasure to tote around fields and the woods.
George,

I wouldn't say it is general knowledge, because not all women are alike. But I never did argue with my first wife. Instead we would discuss any issue calmly until I agreed with her.
bonefish,

I wouldn't be surprised if your NULA puts three shots of the right load into one hole at 100 yards.

More astonishing, to me anyway, is the fact that many NULA's will put ALL their shots into an inch or so at 100, often with several different loads. And that's without letting the barrel cool between shots. A friend who finally got to shoot a NULA .270 Winchester a couple years ago put 37 rounds into about an inch, shooting them one after another, as fast as he could aim carefully.
Mule Deer: You took the words right out of my mouth! I was just about to say, "it might do one hole if you can hold it"!!! I've got (2) ULA's a little over ten years old (both LH in 270 & 300 WSM's; consecutive serial numbers 37-38) and they come damn close to "one hole" even with this old fart (76) behind the trigger!!!!
George,

I wouldn't say it is general knowledge, because not all women are alike. But I never did argue with my first wife. Instead we would discuss any issue calmly until I agreed with her.

That is funny John. Probably shows a lot of wisdom too.

These threads are a health hazard to the loony who has just gotten through RA (Rifles Anonymous) and has a couple years of rifle- and building-free grace built up.

Ouch!/
No kidding.... I do not even have my first NULA and JB and others have me interested in buying two more. Hand assembled and custom designed rifles are expensive but cheap in comparison to other things similarly put together. Think shotguns, watches, cars, furniture etc..... If these items are anything other than mass produced on a line, they cost a screaming fortune.
With the right load and a capable shooter a NULA rifle will most certainly put 3 in one hole..Melvin has several targets that I have sent him with 3 in one hole and I have a stack of targets at home with the same...
Melvin is in a world of his own. Don't know of any rifle manufacturer who produces rifles even close to his.

Steve
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

These threads are a health hazard to the loony who has just gotten through RA (Rifles Anonymous) and has a couple years of rifle- and building-free grace built up.

Ouch!/

They should be banned; they are more then a health hazard and can be (financially) deadly! smile
The late Dave Gentry made quite a few high-quality 98 Mauser actions, in several sizes and left-hand models, some used by high-grade British gunmakers that weren't marked "Gentry".

Dave also purchased a Model 24 Ultra Light Arms action from Melvin, to build a 6.5x55 Ackley Improved lightweight rifle for himself. Dave took it to Alaska to kill a good Dall ram.

Dave also purchased a Model 24 Ultra Light Arms action from Melvin, to build a 6.5x55 Ackley Improved lightweight rifle for himself. Dave took it to Alaska to kill a good Dall ram.

That post right there 'oughta bunch up some panties............ cry
I am with George, You guys are killing me..... Kids college funds might be at risk.
You know Melvin gives these guys a finders fee.

Right????? smile
He just gives me free rifles. Wanna buy a NULA?
Hook a brother up???
Originally Posted by smokepole
He just gives me free rifles. Wanna buy a NULA?

Yep and even though it is used, I'll give you what you paid for it.

I ordered my gun in early April and it was supposedly shipping out today. Melvin over-delivered by 2 months vs. the promised 5 months. Usually goes the other way for me on most things. Waiting on a deer mount now that was promised in April.
Paint?
I've handled, but did not shoot, a NULA in 300 Weatherby. I didn't want to shoot it either.
Bonefish,
Made a trip up to Granville, WV last week. Picked up a Model 24 in 6.5x284. Sure is a nice rifle. I really like the wide shoe on the Timney trigger. Gun feels like the Model 24 I have been hunting with for several years (280AI).
Got to spend some time with Melvin discussing many topics. Really enjoyed the discussion and am sure the rifle will be all that I expect it to be. Hope to find some time real soon to mess with breaking the new rifle in.
You are going to really like your NULA.
Dave
Paint?

"jungle" ??? Apparently is green with some flecks of black and tan
Originally Posted by RaceTire
Bonefish,
Made a trip up to Granville, WV last week. Picked up a Model 24 in 6.5x284. Sure is a nice rifle. I really like the wide shoe on the Timney trigger. Gun feels like the Model 24 I have been hunting with for several years (280AI).
Got to spend some time with Melvin discussing many topics. Really enjoyed the discussion and am sure the rifle will be all that I expect it to be. Hope to find some time real soon to mess with breaking the new rifle in.
You are going to really like your NULA.
Dave

I like the Timney trigger. Had one on my recently sold 280AI semi-custom. I hope to purchase a new 280AI soon. Want to shoot a little heavier bullets than did with last gun. Last gun liked 140 Accubonds and I stuck with them. Now that I will have a 260, hope to shoot 160+g 7mm bullets in next gun. I am definitely looking forward to receiving my NULA 260.
Originally Posted by mathman
I've handled, but did not shoot, a NULA in 300 Weatherby. I didn't want to shoot it either.

Well, those aren't that fun to shoot in a full up Mark V. A while back I was looking for an after-market stock to lighten up a .300 Vanguard. I'm glad I didn't find it. I have seen the light, and it has .308 lineage.

Bonefish, you're gonna like that gun.
Hopefully he pushes to have his namesake spin-off deliver top notch quality first time out of the factory. A lot of folks appear to be counting on said spin-off.
More I ponder it I doubt if the Forbes will be around in 5 years unless they get the word out. The original itself is almost an unknown with the exception of serious shooters and the casual hunter isn't that interested in the wait or extra dollars.

Colt couldn't make it fly and I have my doubts about Titan. However, I wouldn't mind being wrong.

At Melvin's pricing the original is still the winner and may have a lot in common with 60's era vintage Vettes down the road.
I hope Forbes Rifle works out the kinks. Certainly is a good idea that should have solid demand.
Thinking about current trends at least here in the East not sure I agree with LW rifle demand.

AR platforms are more popular with each year, stand hunting, hunting over food plots and many only hunt the AM and PM hours, bipods, bigger scopes. See it all more and more in the field and at the range.
The east is just not where it's at, obviously.

Lightweight rifles just make sense. Even when they're not really needed.
One of the major reasons Melvin developed the Ultra Light is West Virginia isn't particularly level.
Agree with both of you.

WV has places that will test those who have hunted some of the hardest ground. Only thing it lacks is altitude. Fortunately.
I like to move around and hate to sit in a stand. Probably why I am not very successful bow hunting. I do not own an AR. You are correct that everyone owns an AR these days. I think they are interesting but make no sense for me. You may be right about the deer hunter going to long range rigs. I remember the 80's were all about semi auto rifles with see through mounts. I guess the industry evolves constantly. Hard to beat a bolt rifle that is light enough to point well and carry all day.
The NULA company and product reminds me of the Tibor / Billy Pate fly reel company owned by Ted Jurasik. My understanding is that Ted Jurasik was a machinist in South FL that was unhappy with the available salt water fly reels. He developed the Billy Pate reel. These reels are bombproof and brilliantly machined. Later he introduced the Tibor reel which helped spawn a new generation of large-arbor saltwater fly reels. I own several of his reels and will keep them for ever. They service the reels for free. Have spoken to Ted several times and have seen his bio on sporting television.

AR platforms are more popular with each year, stand hunting, hunting over food plots and many only hunt the AM and PM hours, bipods, bigger scopes. See it all more and more in the field and at the range. [/quote]

Not disputing your statement, here in Canada we see them AR clones regularly used on the shooting range, often by starry eyed young guys doing "rapid fire" with th cheaper models, making fine 100 yard buckshot patterns on paper.
Some more serious people here compete with them, using the high prized accurized versions. I doubt whether you will get easy permission to hunt on private properties down here, if the farmer sees you are toting an AR. Some farmers or ranchers would eye you with some suspicion, worrying about your mental health.
Folks here don't see them at least at this time, as an appropriate hunting tool. Seeing them at TV news in the hands of our military in conflict zones probably does not help much either.
I am sure that some Canadians use them for hunting, although I have never seen one in the field.
Personally, I find them way too heavy, awkward with the balance of piece of drift wood and for the accuracy I demand, way to expensive.
Sooo at least here, the bolt, lever, pump, single shot will continue to domineer in the hunting fields for long time to come. Auto loaders in traditional hunting configurations included.
Semi-Autos can't be used in Pa to hunt and like you on the range they are becoming more popular.

However change is on the wind around here with regards the how of hunting Whitetails and LW rifles are not all that necessary.

Like in WV, here in Pa I can take someone to more than a few places that most will think twice about climbing the same "mountain" or going down into the same "hole"more than once. Most-even the young and strong-are not all that enthusiastic about bringing a Deer out over a couple hundred yards.

The hunting shows almost have to hunt they way they do to have a successful production. Personally I'm getting pretty sick of watching Deer take a bullet or arrow on TV. I'm about fed up with Rage arrow commercials showing splattered blood. I will give them credit for showing women hunting.

Things have changed and the new generation is changing with it; based on what they are being shown.
Just read an internet article re industries that will take a downturn due to changing habits of the millennium generation.

Cars-cable tv-suburban home purchases-cola drinks-and brick and mortar store purchases are industries that some feel will take a significant future downturn. Hunting habits by that generation will likely see changes also.
Just read an internet article re industries that will take a downturn due to changing habits of the millennium generation.

Cars-cable tv-suburban home purchases-cola drinks-and brick and mortar store purchases are industries that some feel will take a significant future downturn. Hunting habits by that generation will likely see changes also.

Relevance to this thread?
The thread itself has taken a turn from Melvin being on TV, to will the Forbes rifles be successful, to will light rifles be all the rage with future generations.

I'm partially responsible for the turns, but a thread moving around isn't all that uncommon here.

The relevance then would be what future generations of hunters may use or purchase in the future. Or will light done right be all that important to them.

Battue,
I think future generations will like light done right too. Take a couple of # off the rifle and a guy can add another sandwich, a Hershey bar and a little more water to wash it down with to his pack.
Honestly Melvin's rifles carry like a good trailer behind a diesel pickup.

Dave
Hope you are right and you don't have to sell me on them. I already have five Nulas. crazy
As you are very aware - Definitely light done right!!

Dave
Ok a couple I bought for the Grandkids. They are presently 6 and 5.
Just doing my part for the betterment of the future generation. laugh
Originally Posted by RaceTire
Battue,
I think future generations will like light done right too. Take a couple of # off the rifle and a guy can add another sandwich, a Hershey bar and a little more water to wash it down with to his pack.

Dave

grin

Now your talking....
Ok a couple I bought for the Grandkids. They are presently 6 and 5.

Mine better be lefty's.............. smile
Hell you're the reason I have a ML. Works just fine too, so thanks. grin

Isn't a lefty though, but being a ML it makes little difference. When the little guy or girl grows up I'll pass it buy them. Wait, you already have one. Never mind. grin
My NULA has been held up by a lid being left off of a can of primer for my stock paint. Thought was funny Melvin told me this. If it takes them another month to ship it, it will still be well ahead of the promised date. I am looking forward to wringing it out at the range but have no immediate need for it.

As has been mentioned, I hate it when guys at the range dump a 30 round AR magazine into a 50 yard target. There is no reason for me to question the practice of shooting AR's. They are not doing anything wrong. I just hate the noise. While I am complaining, I really hate the noise made by these big "tactical" guns with big sideways angled "tactical" brakes that look like something that should be on an anti-tank weapon. These things are real loud with 300 win mag and larger rounds. My range has a Cowboy action shooting area. Not my thing either but looks like the folks are having a huge time doing it. The Cowboys and Cowgirls have their own area and do not bother anyone. It is unrealistic for me to expect quiet at a gun range. It just rattles my bones when someone next to me fires 30 rounds in rapid succession from a high-powered rifle with a 16 inch barrel and a flash suppressor/sideways noise maker.
Mule Deer and George, I wear the dad gum pants in my family...but if you don't mind I'd like to tell her myself. powdr
© 24hourcampfire