-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

AR platforms are more popular with each year, stand hunting, hunting over food plots and many only hunt the AM and PM hours, bipods, bigger scopes. See it all more and more in the field and at the range. [/quote]

Not disputing your statement, here in Canada we see them AR clones regularly used on the shooting range, often by starry eyed young guys doing "rapid fire" with th cheaper models, making fine 100 yard buckshot patterns on paper.
Some more serious people here compete with them, using the high prized accurized versions. I doubt whether you will get easy permission to hunt on private properties down here, if the farmer sees you are toting an AR. Some farmers or ranchers would eye you with some suspicion, worrying about your mental health.
Folks here don't see them at least at this time, as an appropriate hunting tool. Seeing them at TV news in the hands of our military in conflict zones probably does not help much either.
I am sure that some Canadians use them for hunting, although I have never seen one in the field.
Personally, I find them way too heavy, awkward with the balance of piece of drift wood and for the accuracy I demand, way to expensive.
Sooo at least here, the bolt, lever, pump, single shot will continue to domineer in the hunting fields for long time to come. Auto loaders in traditional hunting configurations included.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Semi-Autos can't be used in Pa to hunt and like you on the range they are becoming more popular.

However change is on the wind around here with regards the how of hunting Whitetails and LW rifles are not all that necessary.

Like in WV, here in Pa I can take someone to more than a few places that most will think twice about climbing the same "mountain" or going down into the same "hole"more than once. Most-even the young and strong-are not all that enthusiastic about bringing a Deer out over a couple hundred yards.

The hunting shows almost have to hunt they way they do to have a successful production. Personally I'm getting pretty sick of watching Deer take a bullet or arrow on TV. I'm about fed up with Rage arrow commercials showing splattered blood. I will give them credit for showing women hunting.

Things have changed and the new generation is changing with it; based on what they are being shown.

Last edited by battue; 06/25/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just read an internet article re industries that will take a downturn due to changing habits of the millennium generation.

Cars-cable tv-suburban home purchases-cola drinks-and brick and mortar store purchases are industries that some feel will take a significant future downturn. Hunting habits by that generation will likely see changes also.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by battue
Just read an internet article re industries that will take a downturn due to changing habits of the millennium generation.

Cars-cable tv-suburban home purchases-cola drinks-and brick and mortar store purchases are industries that some feel will take a significant future downturn. Hunting habits by that generation will likely see changes also.

Relevance to this thread?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The thread itself has taken a turn from Melvin being on TV, to will the Forbes rifles be successful, to will light rifles be all the rage with future generations.

I'm partially responsible for the turns, but a thread moving around isn't all that uncommon here.

The relevance then would be what future generations of hunters may use or purchase in the future. Or will light done right be all that important to them.

Last edited by battue; 06/25/14.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Battue,
I think future generations will like light done right too. Take a couple of # off the rifle and a guy can add another sandwich, a Hershey bar and a little more water to wash it down with to his pack.
Honestly Melvin's rifles carry like a good trailer behind a diesel pickup.

Dave

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hope you are right and you don't have to sell me on them. I already have five Nulas. crazy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
As you are very aware - Definitely light done right!!

Dave

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ok a couple I bought for the Grandkids. They are presently 6 and 5.
Just doing my part for the betterment of the future generation. laugh

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by RaceTire
Battue,
I think future generations will like light done right too. Take a couple of # off the rifle and a guy can add another sandwich, a Hershey bar and a little more water to wash it down with to his pack.

Dave

grin

Now your talking....

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by battue
Ok a couple I bought for the Grandkids. They are presently 6 and 5.

Mine better be lefty's.............. smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hell you're the reason I have a ML. Works just fine too, so thanks. grin

Isn't a lefty though, but being a ML it makes little difference. When the little guy or girl grows up I'll pass it buy them. Wait, you already have one. Never mind. grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My NULA has been held up by a lid being left off of a can of primer for my stock paint. Thought was funny Melvin told me this. If it takes them another month to ship it, it will still be well ahead of the promised date. I am looking forward to wringing it out at the range but have no immediate need for it.

As has been mentioned, I hate it when guys at the range dump a 30 round AR magazine into a 50 yard target. There is no reason for me to question the practice of shooting AR's. They are not doing anything wrong. I just hate the noise. While I am complaining, I really hate the noise made by these big "tactical" guns with big sideways angled "tactical" brakes that look like something that should be on an anti-tank weapon. These things are real loud with 300 win mag and larger rounds. My range has a Cowboy action shooting area. Not my thing either but looks like the folks are having a huge time doing it. The Cowboys and Cowgirls have their own area and do not bother anyone. It is unrealistic for me to expect quiet at a gun range. It just rattles my bones when someone next to me fires 30 rounds in rapid succession from a high-powered rifle with a 16 inch barrel and a flash suppressor/sideways noise maker.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mule Deer and George, I wear the dad gum pants in my family...but if you don't mind I'd like to tell her myself. powdr

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,504 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.