Home
Posted By: micky Book on Mauser rifles - 11/20/16
Do you have a book you would recommend on all the different Mausers made. I am more looking for a good overview on the different rifles and the nations that ordered them.

Thanks
Posted By: exbiologist Re: Book on Mauser rifles - 11/20/16
https://www.amazon.com/Mauser-Military-Rifles-World-Robert/dp/1440215448
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Book on Mauser rifles - 11/20/16
ALL the different Mausers takes in a lot of territory, but the one I'd recommend is MAUSER BOLT RIFLES by Ludwig Olson. Some others that provide good information, but that would be the one I'd start with.
Posted By: E77 Re: Book on Mauser rifles - 11/20/16
The Ludwig Olson book is good as well
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Book on Mauser rifles - 11/20/16
John;
Good evening to you sir, it's been too long since I've said hello - I trust this fall was a good one for you and Eileen.

As a lifelong student of rifles - Mausers in particular - I'll second your choice as the most exhaustive work or at least that I've run across.

All the best to you both as fall turns into winter John.

Dwayne
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Book on Mauser rifles - 11/20/16
The military rifles book is one I would recommend adding AFTER buying the Olson book, because it only includes military rifles. Ludwig Olson's book includes commercial models.
Posted By: tsquare Re: Book on Mauser rifles - 11/21/16
As already mentioned Lud Olsen's book is a great starting point. If you get real serious on the topic, and can find copies, I recommend Jon Speed's three books, The Mauser Archive, Mauser Small Bores, and Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles.

TT
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Book on Mauser rifles - 11/21/16
Originally Posted by tsquare
As already mentioned Lud Olsen's book is a great starting point. If you get real serious on the topic, and can find copies, I recommend Jon Speed's three books, The Mauser Archive, Mauser Small Bores, and Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles.

TT

Those three are a steal at Amazon for just over $430.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Book on Mauser rifles - 11/21/16
It's only money! Knowledge is power. A couple hundred bucks invested in a Mauser education can save you many times that in costly mistakes further down the road.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Book on Mauser rifles - 11/21/16
Another good one that adds other bits and pieces of knowledge (and isn't very expensive!) is Jerry Kuhnhausen's THE MAUSER BOLT ACTIONS, A SHOP MANUAL.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Book on Mauser rifles - 11/21/16
I agree with John's choices. Lud Olsens's and Jerry Kuhnhausen's books are still in print and affordable from Brownell's. Jon Speeds books are great and well worth the money for the serious rifle geek who wants more after reading the first two.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Book on Mauser rifles - 11/21/16
And the more Mauser rifles you get out there and handle the better.
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Book on Mauser rifles - 11/22/16
Originally Posted by micky
Do you have a book you would recommend on all the different Mausers made. I am more looking for a good overview on the different rifles and the nations that ordered them.

Thanks

In 1992, NRA made a 32 pg soft cover book called Mauser Rifles. It was a compilation of reprinted articles published in the American Rifleman magazine. First several articles are by Ludwig Olson. The article titled " Identifying Mauser Markings" might be especially useful to your questions.

A DDG search for it came up with:

http://bookzz.org/book/964958/0a508c

You can download the PDF for free on-line.

Posted By: mrchongo Re: Book on Mauser rifles - 11/23/16
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by micky

Thanks

In 1992, NRA made a 32 pg soft cover book called Mauser Rifles. It was a compilation of reprinted articles published in the American Rifleman magazine. First several articles are by Ludwig Olson. The article titled " Identifying Mauser Markings" might be especially useful to your questions.

A DDG search for it came up with:

http://bookzz.org/book/964958/0a508c

You can download the PDF for free on-line.

Guess I know what I'm doing at work today....
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Book on Mauser rifles - 11/23/16
Not likely I would give them my cc # though I'd love the reading material!
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Book on Mauser rifles - 11/23/16
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Not likely I would give them my cc # though I'd love the reading material!

To download the document, all I did was to click the small PDF download button just above the two big buttons that will end up prompting you to set up an account.

No setting up an account, no giving any ID and certainly no CC#.

Goes without saying, for downloading anything from the Internet, either use a Linux OS or have a solid anti-malware and antivirus software firewall to protect your computer running MSOS.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Book on Mauser rifles - 11/24/16
+1 on the 32 page NRA "Mauser Rifles" book. IMO that's as good a starter on Mausers as you'll find. The first three articles on Mauser history, markings etc. are by Ludwig Olson. There's also technical & loading info by NRA staff and other sources. A lot of info in 32 pages.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Book on Mauser rifles - 11/24/16
carbon12, thanks for the tip!
Posted By: djs Re: Book on Mauser rifles - 11/24/16
Google "Collector Grade Publications" for some really detailed books on Mausers.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Book on Mauser rifles - 11/25/16
Rifle magazine also produced a Mauser Special Edition in the fall of 2011
© 24hourcampfire