Print Thread
Hop To
M
micky Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Do you have a book you would recommend on all the different Mausers made. I am more looking for a good overview on the different rifles and the nations that ordered them.

Thanks

“Lighten up Francis”
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
ALL the different Mausers takes in a lot of territory, but the one I'd recommend is MAUSER BOLT RIFLES by Ludwig Olson. Some others that provide good information, but that would be the one I'd start with.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
E77 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
The Ludwig Olson book is good as well

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John;
Good evening to you sir, it's been too long since I've said hello - I trust this fall was a good one for you and Eileen.

As a lifelong student of rifles - Mausers in particular - I'll second your choice as the most exhaustive work or at least that I've run across.

All the best to you both as fall turns into winter John.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The military rifles book is one I would recommend adding AFTER buying the Olson book, because it only includes military rifles. Ludwig Olson's book includes commercial models.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As already mentioned Lud Olsen's book is a great starting point. If you get real serious on the topic, and can find copies, I recommend Jon Speed's three books, The Mauser Archive, Mauser Small Bores, and Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles.

TT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tsquare
As already mentioned Lud Olsen's book is a great starting point. If you get real serious on the topic, and can find copies, I recommend Jon Speed's three books, The Mauser Archive, Mauser Small Bores, and Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles.

TT

Those three are a steal at Amazon for just over $430.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
It's only money! Knowledge is power. A couple hundred bucks invested in a Mauser education can save you many times that in costly mistakes further down the road.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Another good one that adds other bits and pieces of knowledge (and isn't very expensive!) is Jerry Kuhnhausen's THE MAUSER BOLT ACTIONS, A SHOP MANUAL.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with John's choices. Lud Olsens's and Jerry Kuhnhausen's books are still in print and affordable from Brownell's. Jon Speeds books are great and well worth the money for the serious rifle geek who wants more after reading the first two.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
And the more Mauser rifles you get out there and handle the better.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by micky
Do you have a book you would recommend on all the different Mausers made. I am more looking for a good overview on the different rifles and the nations that ordered them.

Thanks

In 1992, NRA made a 32 pg soft cover book called Mauser Rifles. It was a compilation of reprinted articles published in the American Rifleman magazine. First several articles are by Ludwig Olson. The article titled " Identifying Mauser Markings" might be especially useful to your questions.

A DDG search for it came up with:

http://bookzz.org/book/964958/0a508c

You can download the PDF for free on-line.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by micky

Thanks

In 1992, NRA made a 32 pg soft cover book called Mauser Rifles. It was a compilation of reprinted articles published in the American Rifleman magazine. First several articles are by Ludwig Olson. The article titled " Identifying Mauser Markings" might be especially useful to your questions.

A DDG search for it came up with:

http://bookzz.org/book/964958/0a508c

You can download the PDF for free on-line.

Guess I know what I'm doing at work today....

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Not likely I would give them my cc # though I'd love the reading material!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Not likely I would give them my cc # though I'd love the reading material!

To download the document, all I did was to click the small PDF download button just above the two big buttons that will end up prompting you to set up an account.

No setting up an account, no giving any ID and certainly no CC#.

Goes without saying, for downloading anything from the Internet, either use a Linux OS or have a solid anti-malware and antivirus software firewall to protect your computer running MSOS.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on the 32 page NRA "Mauser Rifles" book. IMO that's as good a starter on Mausers as you'll find. The first three articles on Mauser history, markings etc. are by Ludwig Olson. There's also technical & loading info by NRA staff and other sources. A lot of info in 32 pages.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
carbon12, thanks for the tip!

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Google "Collector Grade Publications" for some really detailed books on Mausers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rifle magazine also produced a Mauser Special Edition in the fall of 2011

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 2500HD, 222Sako, 219DW, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 47 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,389
Posts18,506,831
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.