Home
Posted By: Theeck 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/16/17
I may be in the wrong place but I am considering buying a .260 Remington (or possibly a 25-06). I would be using it as my primary rifle for whitetails. I had been using a .30-06 for years but last year I switched to a .308 when a friend bought me a stainless .308 as a gift. I have shot 2 bucks with the .308 with good results (shot a bear too but with poor results due to a bad bullet choice). For no good reason, I have become enamored with the idea of hunting deer with a light kicking, flat shooting, smaller bullet. I was about to buy a .260 Rem but just saw that my intended load of 120 grain Barnes TTSX is 200 fps slower out of a .260 than the 130 grain TTSX out of a .308. Now, I am questioning the benefit of a .260.

The obvious benefit is that I like to only shoot one load out of my rifles so I don’t have to mess with the scopes too much. I have been shooting 150 TTSX out of the .308 and I get just about the same point of impact out of a 165 grain Accubond. I know that the sectional density would be higher in a .260 with 120 grain bullet than a .308 in 130 grains but Barnes seem to penetrate plenty without much regard for SD. Also, the larger diameter would hit harder. I also know that the .260 would have a higher ballistic coefficient but the added 200 fps muzzle velocity would take quite a distance to overcome. Most of my shooting is close (inside 100 yards) and would likely never exceed 300 yards. Is there any advantage within 300 yards to the .260 with 120 grain TTSX versus a .308 with a 130 grai TTSX? Less recoil maybe?

Thanks
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/16/17
No deer in the world is going to know the difference between almost any cartridge inside of 300 yards. 200 fps doesn't mean jack at the range you reference.

My primary rifle is a Tikka T3 Lite stainless in 7mm-08. I've killed deer past 500 yards and elk out to 346 yards. If you want a .260, buy one. It will kill far beyond your ability to shoot.

P
Posted By: vabowhntr Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
Neither you nor the deer will notice much difference, but don’t let me discourage you from getting a .260. I did just this a few years ago and now thinking about letting the .260 go.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
Keep your 308 and run the 130TTSX for everything.

If you really need to drop some recoil, run the 110TTSX with 40 grains of 4198.
Posted By: glosto Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
I use a 260 with the 130 accubond and out to 300 it works fine. When I pull the trigger something dies 0n the other end. Has not failed me yet. Coyotes, hogs, Deer. Nothing bigger.
Posted By: DoeSlayer Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
I have both and both reliably kill whitetails. If you want flat in the ,260, run 100 gr TTSX's over 42-43 grains of 4064 or 4166. I'm mid 3,100's and accuracy for 3-shots is around 1/2". I've also ran the 120 TTSX's and using N204 get right at 2,900 fps, but I think the 100's kill just as well. I've since moved on to Partitions in both rifles and from the small number of deer I've shot, I think they kill better if there is such a thing.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
The obvious answer is the 6.5 Creedmoor! wink

Unless you just want a new rifle, I'd stick with the .308 and the 130 gr TTSX.
Posted By: seattlesetters Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
The 120s in the .260 will probably out-penetrate the 130s in the .308, will definitely fly flatter and farther and will recoil less in the process. Those are the only advantages I can think of but no deer will ever recognize them. An elk might, though, but not much.

If you want to compare apples to apples, go with the 100gr 6.5 TTSX in your .260.

I have owned both and if you handload I'd run a .260 all day and twice on Sunday over a .308 for the recoil reduction alone. And if the two bullet choices are 120 in 6.5 and 130 in .308, that 120 is going to run flatter and get deeper for more icing on the cake.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
I know scenarshooter had a thread a few years ago about his test results of his 260 vs his 308. Can’t seem to find it though
Posted By: Theeck Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
Thanks guys. I’ll have to think things over. I am not recoil sensitive anyway but my .308 is a 24” barrel and wouldn’t mind someting shorter. I don’t reload at the momement but have been considering starting. How would a 100 grain 25-06 compare outof a 22 inch barrel?
Posted By: skeen Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
I know scenarshooter had a thread a few years ago about his test results of his 260 vs his 308. Can’t seem to find it though

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/6552195/Re:_GAP_.308_VS._GAP_.260....S

Just a personal thing, but I wouldn’t own a .25-‘06 with a 22” barrel. And I am a HUGE .25-‘06 fan.
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
Originally Posted by Theeck
Thanks guys. I’ll have to think things over. I am not recoil sensitive anyway but my .308 is a 24” barrel and wouldn’t mind someting shorter. I don’t reload at the momement but have been considering starting. How would a 100 grain 25-06 compare outof a 22 inch barrel?

I think you should leave your decision to the 260 or 308.
In fact, you can cut that 24" barreled 308 down to 20-21". You might be surprised how well it handles and how well it balance in the Remington sporter contour.
I would not become infatuated with speed. If you want to shoot Barnes bullets, do so. However, deer are not that hard to kill, and factory loading will work. I like 150 or 165 Hornady ammo. It works!
Posted By: False_Cast Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
I have shot 2 bucks with the .308 with good results (shot a bear too but with poor results due to a bad bullet choice).

Not to derail this but I'm interested to hear how a "bad bullet choice" caused poor results on a bear.
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
I may be in the wrong place but I am considering buying a .260 Remington (or possibly a 25-06). I would be using it as my primary rifle for whitetails. I had been using a .30-06 for years but last year I switched to a .308 when a friend bought me a stainless .308 as a gift. I have shot 2 bucks with the .308 with good results (shot a bear too but with poor results due to a bad bullet choice). For no good reason, I have become enamored with the idea of hunting deer with a light kicking, flat shooting, smaller bullet. I was about to buy a .260 Rem but just saw that my intended load of 120 grain Barnes TTSX is 200 fps slower out of a .260 than the 130 grain TTSX out of a .308. Now, I am questioning the benefit of a .260.

The obvious benefit is that I like to only shoot one load out of my rifles so I don’t have to mess with the scopes too much. I have been shooting 150 TTSX out of the .308 and I get just about the same point of impact out of a 165 grain Accubond. I know that the sectional density would be higher in a .260 with 120 grain bullet than a .308 in 130 grains but Barnes seem to penetrate plenty without much regard for SD. Also, the larger diameter would hit harder. I also know that the .260 would have a higher ballistic coefficient but the added 200 fps muzzle velocity would take quite a distance to overcome. Most of my shooting is close (inside 100 yards) and would likely never exceed 300 yards. Is there any advantage within 300 yards to the .260 with 120 grain TTSX versus a .308 with a 130 grai TTSX? Less recoil maybe?

Thanks
............................Given the fact that you will "LIKELY" never exceed 300 yards and most of your shooting is inside a 100 yards, then it won't make a darn bit of difference whether you use a 308 or the 260 Rem. However, if you were to run the #s on a ballistics table and check for retained down range velocity, energy, flatter trajectories and so forth, the slower 120 gr 260 bullet from the muzzle will catch up to the faster 130 gr 308 bullet in all depts I'm guessing somewhere beyond 300 yards.

Recoil with the 6.5s will be less.

There are some videos on you tube you can watch......Type in,,,,, "Ron Spomer 260 and 7/08 vs 308."..........."Ron Spomer 6.5 mm vs 300 Win."........And you will see a few other videos on there showing and proving the benefits of the 6.5s vs the 308.

But given your ranges, and unless you just want to really own a 6.5, you really have no need for one imo.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
Buy the 260 and keep the 308! That way you can make your own decisions! You can't have too many rifles anyway!
Posted By: Seafire Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
Having shot 308s... both in the military and civilian...

I've never personally owned a 308, when a 30/06 will do more in my opinion...

But owning 260s, since they first came out....20 plus years ago...

I can tell ya this... Started out with 100 grain bullets, with a charge of 43.5 grains of 4064...

that was worked up to, and this was before data was available... I used 6.5 x 55 load data
and worked up...

I've shot several deer at over 300 yds, with a rest... and using a 3 x 9 Leupold scope with
a target dot reticle...on 4 power, I never lost sight picture of the deer during recoil, and watched
it drop like a sack of potatoes thru the scope....

a 308 wouldn't do that for ya...

yet move up to a 140 grain bullet and it will penetrate more than adequately on game the size of an elk...
Posted By: shaman Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
The average whitetail deer hunter shoots his average whitetail deer inside 80 yards. In total, my average is well below that, but the last decade has seen me stretch out, taking more in the 150-170 yard range. Although I've not taken deer with a 260 REM, I've seen them used to good effect. I've currently got a 25-06 that I'm working into my deer rifle rotation, so I have at least a little relevant experience.

Look, if it was simply about performance, you'd have stopped with the 30-06. You switched to 308 WIN, because it was a gift. You're switching to 260 REM now, because. . .?

If you want me to get all shamanic with with you, I'd say the bear still holds sway in your world. Until you go back and kill that bear, every chambering you touch will be inadequate.

Almost none of any of this has anything to do with the physical reality of what happens when a bullet hits a deer. Every centerfire rifle cartridge out there is capable of converting deer to venison, and for every DRT story you read about a rifle, a cartridge, or a bullet there will be another one about a deer that got away. For every 308 WIN maven there is a guy who says it is inadequate and still another that says it over-penetrates.

When I've shot 260 REM, I was impressed by its light recoil. When I saw it used, the owner had drilled a 75 lb doe at 20 yards. This is not an amazing feat. However, most of whitetail deer hunting is like this. You plan for the extremes and you are presented with the mundane.

The other devilishly perverse part of the sport is that you can take the same rifle out, same load, same shot under the same conditions and get completely different results. I'm mostly a heart-n-lungs kind of guy. I have seen every reaction from a deer imaginable -- everything from hit-with-a-hammer to nonchalantly going back to feeding before keeling over. I've tried rifles from a 25-06 to 35 Whelen, shotguns and muzzleloaders as well. Neither 25-06 or 35 Whelen did anything better or worse than a 30-06 or 308 WIN.

For no good reason, I have become enamored with the idea of hunting deer with a light kicking, flat shooting, smaller bullet.

I would agree with you: no good reason. Reason has nothing to do with it. That doesn't mean I disagree with your choice in pursuing a 260 REM. I certainly don't disagree with your quest. Those bears can be tough critters to put down.

OH! One other thing. Whenever I have a misadventure, I always blame the rifle. I always immediately stop using the rifle and go to my backup. The rifle is placed in the back of the safe in a state of disgrace. It is left in the dark for good long time and only put back into service after a severe admonishment. This seems to work. Secondarily, I usually blame the bullet and go about finding a suitable replacement. My remaining inventory of those bullets are usually left to repent their sins for a minimum of 5 years before given the priviledge of returning to service, usually in another rifle.
Posted By: Brad Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
I have become enamored with the idea of hunting deer with a light kicking, flat shooting, smaller bullet.

All the ballistic minutiae in your post is irrelevant on deer inside 300 yards, or even 500 yards... the above the salient statement in your post.

Though the 260 answers what you want, I think the Creedmoor would be an even better choice.

My sense is you're overthinking this... whitetail deer are just not that tough, any of a 100 cartridges will work to perfection.

Might as well use something that doesn't beat you up. My favorite used to be the 250 Savage...
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
A low recoil (and though you don't mention it, light and handy) rifle is worth pursuing, but don't expect any performance miracles on game; with good bullets and good shooting, you'll be fine with almost anything (although less recoil may make you a better shot).

If you decide to go ahead with your notion, I'd suggest the 6.5 Creedmoor as well, for the better selection of available rifles and ammo as much as anything. .260s are a bit scarce and the ballistics are practically identical.
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I ordered a box of the 130 grain TTSX in .308. I figure I can try them out for now and see if I like them. I was about to buy the .260 but might put it on hold for now. I have a couple other rifles on my wish list and may go in that direction instead, at least for now. (Specifically, a BLR takedown for backpack hunts ans snow tracking deer in the northeastern woods - Adirondacks, Green Mountains of VT).

As far as the bear story, here is a summary. I had been using Nosler Ballistic Tips for abiut 12 years. I have killed 8 or 9 bucks with them out of my 30-06. I did have one perfect broadside shot fail to pass through on a deer at 25 yards but he dressed out over 200 pounds and ran only 25 or 30 yards. I had 2 bucks drop in their tracks. I did lose one big buck that I took a bad shot at on Pennsylvania public land but that was my fault (I found the bones and skull the following season.). So, when my buddy gave me the .308 I went out and bought more ballistic tips. (I like my 30-06 but he got me the .308 in stainless because my natural stubborness means I will sit all day in the rain at times and figured it would hold up better).

I sighted the rifle in at 100 yards and it was shooting well. I have property in Vermont and I usually spend a week hunting deer up there. Last fall, I had work obligations that kept me from going. I looked at the PA seasons on the Friday I normally leave for VT and saw that the 4 day bear season opened the following day so I figured I could hunt Saturday. I went an bought a tag and headed to the mountains that night. I didn’t really think there was any chance that I would see a bear but it beat staying home. I got up before dawn and headed into the woods. I was wandering around a good sized tract of public land the abuts out property. I had no real plan except to spend the whole day looking for bear. I would stillhunt then sit. Eventually, I was getting close to the top of the mountain (2 1/2 to 3 miles) from the cabin where I started, I heard something big run away from me in a thick patch where a bunch of trees had been blown down. I couldn’t see the animal but figured it was a big deer but could be a bear. I quietly circled above the thicket onto a rocky slope near the crest of the mountain.

The rocky area gave me a good vantage point because it was too rock for many trees to grow. I sat on a boulder looking down at the thicket and waited a bit. It was around noon so I ate my lunch. About 30 minutes after sitting down I heard something big coming through the thicket toward me - the opposite direction as before. It was so noisy and clumsy sounding, I figured it was hunters. Sure enough, a bear popped out of the cover and started through the rocky opening. It was quartering toward me. At abou 35-40 yards I aimed for the front left shoulder (my right) so the bullet would pass through the vitals (mistake, should have waited for a clean broadside shot). At the shot, the bear dropped and I was starting to celebrate in my head. A second or 2 later, it got up and took off. It ran away fast and back into the thicket.

I spent the rest of the day looking. I couldn’t find hair or a single drop of blood. I couldn’t find the bear either. When dark was coming, I hobbled back diwn to the cabin. My knees were killing me from all the searching on sloped ground.

The next morning, I hiked back out but brought my bird dog with me. No hunting is allowed on Sunday so I wasn’t armed. I spent the whole day searching with the dog but could not find a trace. It had snowed about an inch or 2 overnight but that didnt help. No luck. I had to go home and work the week but I went back on the following Saturday. Again, no luck. I tried to convince myself that I could have missed but I know that I didn’t. I have come to the belief that the Ballistic Tip hit bone and failed to penetrate. I hadn’t put enough thought into bullet choice or shot selection. It was an impulsive trip and I had no bear hunting experience. Since then, I use bonded or all copper bullets for deer in case I get another shot at a bear. Even on the shot I took, I think a TTSX would have killed the bear cleanly.
I should mention this. I was not looking at the .260 because I think it woukd be more deadly on bear than a .308. I became interested because I learned more about bullets and realized that the smaller calibers would probably work just as well in my hunting situation with the right bullet with less kick. I also gave fantasies of moving out west one day. Plus, It’s fun to play with different cartridges. My buddy uses a .300 WSM for close range PA whitetails. I guess we all have our preferences.
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17

At the shot, the bear dropped and I was starting to celebrate in my head. A second or 2 later, it got up and took off. It ran away fast and back into the thicket.

Almost certainly hit the spinous process above the spine. You didn't say what grain NBT, however all of them will go through a black bear shoulder. What you described is what happens when you hit high and go above the spine- i.e. momentary paralysis and then they recover.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
Many years ago, I walking to a farmer that lived in apart of the county that had a decent deer population. He casually mentioned that whenever he wanted one to eat, he took his 22 rifle and shot one. Now, I knew it was useless for me to tell him not to shoot them out of season, but I did tell him that he should at least use a bigger cartridge than a 22LR. I saw him sometime later, and he told me that he took my advice and got a bigger rifle, and it killed them a lot better. Fully expecting him to say 30-30, or something similar, I was surprised when he said 22 Magnum.

I know this post is about 260 versus 308, but I think we often overanalyze things, and often come to the conclusion that we need a bigger gun, bigger this, or bigger that. Most any cartridge will kill a deer The whitetail that was the B&C record for years, the Jordan Buck, was killed with a 25-20. As with any species of game, the key is always bullet placement, along with the right bullet. I sold my nephew a 223 rifle for his 6 year old son to use on deer, and he's killed 4 with it, all one shot kills. I'm no fan of the 223 as a deer rifle, but if it will work, then anything bigger will to. 260 or 308, I would think that it wouldn't really matter.
It was 165 grain. That’s good info. Hopefully that is what happened.
Posted By: basdjs Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
I love the .260 and have shot that exclusively over my .308 for deer for years. As far as I know the BLR isn't currently chambered in .260. But if you have one in your future, I'd consider the 7mm-08. That would get you pretty close to .260 performance with less recoil than .308. In a light pack gun for deer, I'd personally even be comfortable carrying a .243. Any cartridge in the .308 family is a great whitetail cartridge IMHO.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17

I've shot a 260 since about 1997-1998, I really like mine using the 120 NBT and the Hornady 129 SP.

I've used ballistic tips in 95gr 6mm, 120gr 6.5mm and 180gr .308 and while not bear I've never had one fail to bust a shoulder or even shoulders on deer, even larger bucks around 200lbs. A 165gr .308 NBT would punch a bear shoulder and keep on running.
James: I agree with you. My thought is about sizing down rather than up. I know a lot of guys out here using magnums (7mm and 300) for deer. I started as a bow hunter and had no idea what kind of rifle to buy when I first started (I’m not from a hunting family). I went with the .30-06 based on what other people were using. I have a bolt action .223 an I have no doubt that I could kill a deer with it. I know a hillbilly who killed a bear with a 22 LR (a head shot). As I said before, every deer that I have shot has been within 50 yards, most within 30.

Thanks for all the info guys. I should have posted here after the bear incident. The thought that it was a non-fatal hit makes me feel better about the ordeal. The area has bear but they are not especially plentiful. The high hit never occured to me but I was shooting down a steep incline - probably close to 45 degrees. That might have thrown off mt shot plus I was sighted to hit 2” high at 100 yards. The bear was around 40 yards.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
I think you did an excellent job of convincing yourself to stay with the 308! For what you are using it for, seems to work perfectly..and the money you would have spent on a new .260. buy more 308 ammo!
Basdjs: I was planning to get the .260 in a Tikka T3 Hunter stainless bolt action. I was going to use it for deer here and antelope or mulies if I ever get the chance to hunt out west. The MPBR around 300 yards would probably make it a nice rifle for opn country.

I was leaning toward getting the BLR in .308 since I already have a lot of ammo for it. I don’t intend to put scope on it so the accuracy and ballistics are probably inconsequential. I am figuring it would be used within 75 yards. I tend to hunt thick cover and I like to track in the snow so quick target aquisition and follow up shots would be this rifles job. Right now, I am using a 60+ year old Winchester 94 in .30-30 for these trips. It fits well in a backpack. It was my father’s rifle so I hate to beat it up in bad weather when I am sleeping in a tent. A stainless BLR could fill this role nicely.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I have come to the belief that the Ballistic Tip hit bone and failed to penetrate.

Depending on the particular bullet caliber & weight that is exactly right. I had a 180 BT from a 300 Wby disintegrate at the onside point of impact on a 285# Axis buck. Never dreamed in 100 years the bullet would have done so. But it did. I have not hunted with BT's since then, 1998.

.....on the shot I took, I think a TTSX would have killed the bear cleanly.

Don't count on it. Cleanly, being the operative word to my saying so.
Maybe “cleanly” is the wrong word but if I hit where I intended (i.e. I didn’t hit high) I think I would have recovered the bear. I don’t expect to go back to BTs anyway unless long range shooting at smaller game. I like the added insurance of a bonded or copper bullet for when things go wrong. I screwed up with this buck last year (long story) but my accubond went through a sapling before dropping him. I was sold after that.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
I have come to the belief that the Ballistic Tip hit bone and failed to penetrate.

Several of the BT's have evolved over time. Jackets have been thickened, toughened for specific applications. So, the bullets you have today may not be the same when you buy them again. Unfortunately, Nosler doesn't publicize the information when the changes are made. We have to learn of it "at the back fence."

Like you, I have settled on the Accubond and have two lifetime's supply of what I shoot. Thus far, I have taken numerous animals with them and have yet to question them for any reason.
Posted By: mathman Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
The .308", 165 grain Ballistic Tip is pretty stout. Since you're talking inside 300 yards you might consider getting some 4895 and loading to approximate old school Lake City match ammo at 2550-2600 fps. It takes the edge off compared to full throttle stuff at 2700+ from a 24" barrel, shoots well in most any 308 rifle, and will flat slay deer.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
Theeck,

The 130 TTSX works fine on elk from the .308, so should do OK on close-range deer.
Having owned the 6.5x284 and .260 Rem for years, I'd agree with those recommending the 6.5 Creedmoor. More rifles to choose from and definitely a much better selection (and better priced) of factory ammo if you're ever in a pinch or just want to try a new bullet. A bit less recoil, too.

I have converted.
Posted By: basdjs Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
Theeck, Nice choices. I have the Tikka T3 Hunter in .260. You'll love it. I also do most of my treestand hunting with a T/C Encore in .260 because it's so light & compact. There's nothing not to like about the .260. My bet is that your current .308 will go into retirement if you get those two rifles.
Posted By: szihn Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/17/17
If you own a 308 there is no "need" for a 26 cal.
SO WHAT?
We buy what we want because we want it. "Need" has little to do with it. Freemen buy what they want. Slaves are given what they need.

The 260 is the "American 6.5 Swede" and will match the Swede's performance on game with the same bullets going the same speed.
What's not to like?

If white tails are the only big game on the list, I can assure you the 26s will do all you'd every need them to do. And they do kick less, and can fly flatter, but the flatness of the trajectory is more a marketing ploy for a deer hunter, and had little to do with the real world. Even the 308 with a 180 grain flies flat enough for white tails, in 98% of the cases.

Instead of wrestling over the "need" just go get one and enjoy it.

If need for flat trajectory was really important to you the advice given above in this thread to just load your 308 at 3000-3100 FPS with Barnes 130 grain bullets is as good as any advice here. Works great and is less expensive then a new rifle and scope. But maybe not as fun.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/18/17
The 110TTSX over 40 grains of 4198 is the "most for the least" that you're going to get in the 308. It'll kill anything that you want to shoot back East, and most of what you'll ever hunt out West.

As to flatness and recoil, the 260-120 does not have less recoil than the 308-130 load due to needing more of a slower-burning powder than the 308 loading. The extra flatness doesn't even show up until nearly 400 yards.

Having been a 260 user since 1997 when it was commercialized by Remington, and a 308 user alongside of it, it absolutely won't do anything inside of 400 yards that you couldn't do just as easily with a 308.

In other words, outside of a couple of niche applications at the extremes of the spectrum, they both do the same thing.
Posted By: Theeck Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/18/17
Thanks. I just ordered 2 more boxes of the 130 grain Barnes. As long as my rifle shoots them okay, it will fill the role as my soft shooting deer gun.
Once I get my money together, I’m going to buy the BLR instead of a .260. I’ll get it in .308 and use my leftover 165 grain Accubonds in it. It should make a nice rifle for snow tracking deer and as a compact, all weather rifle for backpack hunts in the big woods.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/18/17
Originally Posted by Heym06
Buy the 260 and keep the 308! That way you can make your own decisions! You can't have too many rifles anyway!

Truth
Posted By: seattlesetters Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/18/17
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Heym06

Truth

[bleep]’ A.
Posted By: Judman Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/18/17
Not much of a decision, 260....
Posted By: JMR40 Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/18/17
If you already own a 260 there is very little incentive to trade for a 6.5 Creedmoor. But if buying a new rifle there is no reason to choose 260 over 6.5 Creedmoor. If you don't hand load the 6.5 is absolutely a no brainer. It does everything slightly better with inexpensive, readily available factory loads. Try finding ANY factory loads for 260. I can't think of anything a 25-06 does that a 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't so better and a 243 just as good.

At the ranges you're talking about there is little difference between 308 and either the 260 or 6.5 other than recoil. The 308 will be in the 15-16 ft lb range vs about 12 ft lbs for either the 260 or 6.5.
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/18/17
I have owned a 260 in a Remington Model Seven stainless, with 20" barrel. It was very accurate and easy to carry. I sold it, but that's what rifle loonies do. I currently have a Tikka T-3 Hunter in 6.5x55 and that is very accurate as well. If I were to buy another 6.5 caliber rifle, I would do as JMR40 says above - buy a Creedmoor, and for the same reasons he states.

Another consideration is what kind of a rifle you want. Do you want a light, short carbine-style rifle for woods hunting, or do you want an all around rifle with full length barrel. If the former, I would look to buy a Model Seven or something similar. My favorite eastern woods rifle is my Model Seven in 7mm-08. It's an early model with blued 18-1/2" barrel. It carries nicely and is perfect for sitting in a tree stand.

Let us know what you decide.
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/18/17
The

I have both a .308 & .260. Identical rifles (NULA) They are within a few ounces of each other and balance the same.I have shot both mulies and whitetail with both and really cant see any difference as to the effect on game. In my MIND the .308 hits harder, but that may be cause it kicks a bit more. If heavier game was on the menu I might lean more towards the .308. I use 165 BT in the .308 and 129 ABLR in the .260.

Either one is excellent.

Lefty C
Posted By: Mjduct Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/18/17
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Theeck,

The 130 TTSX works fine on elk from the .308, so should do OK on close-range deer.

both the bambi's I've taken with this combo were DRT. little kicking on the ground and thats it... I'm sold on the light for caliber TTSX loadings. wanna try to 160gr. in a .338 federal next.
Posted By: pointer Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/18/17
I'd suggest using the 260 gun money on a handloading setup...

It'll make your 308 more interesting.

But, if you just want a rifle the 260 is a great choice IMO.
Posted By: Theeck Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/18/17
Originally Posted by pointer

I was thinking about that. I just don't have a lot of space for it. Also, it would take me at least 500 rounds (over $1,000) of premium rounds just to break even. If I start shooting more it might be worth it.

I will look into the 6.5 Creedmoor when the time comes to buy a long-range deer gun. I am somewhat aware of it's abilities but it looked to be equal to a .260 Rem but a few fps slower. The factory ammo seemed to me more match ammo and heavier bullets than the .260 Remington. I'll have to give it another look when the time comes to see if it really does "everything slightly better." The availability of factory ammo is not an issue for me. The local Cabela's carries it in a few varieties. I also buy ammo online and it is available in all the variety that I would need.
Posted By: mathman Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/18/17
I missed the mark with my handload suggestion earlier. I thought you wrote something about buying bullets, so that had me thinking you were a handloader.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/19/17
I know this thread began as a discussion of 260 vs 308. As I have grown older, I look for ways to lessen felt recoil when possible. The 6.5 caliber offerings today give me that possibility without sacrificing performance on game. I love my 308 but it gets left in the safe more and more as the Creedmoor and 260 have proven themselves in the game fields to my satisfaction.

I have both, the Creedmoor and the 260, along with a 6.5 Swede. Factory loadings for the Creedmoor are far more varied than for the other 2 calibers. All the factory ammo I've shot through my Creedmoor are very accurate. So accurate in fact, I haven't had to begin loading for it, yet.

I will not get rid of the 260 even though I shoot the Creedmoor a bit more now, even though it may not push bullets any faster than the 260. I believe, if I wanted to do a handload comparison, I would find the 260 runs faster than the Creedmoor for most all hunting weight bullets. When you get over 140 grains, the Creedmoor may begin to show a faster fps than the 260. That's my 2 cents. Your results may vary.
Posted By: pointer Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/19/17
Originally Posted by pointer

I was thinking about that. I just don't have a lot of space for it. Also, it would take me at least 500 rounds (over $1,000) of premium rounds just to break even. If I start shooting more it might be worth it.

I will look into the 6.5 Creedmoor when the time comes to buy a long-range deer gun. I am somewhat aware of it's abilities but it looked to be equal to a .260 Rem but a few fps slower. The factory ammo seemed to me more match ammo and heavier bullets than the .260 Remington. I'll have to give it another look when the time comes to see if it really does "everything slightly better." The availability of factory ammo is not an issue for me. The local Cabela's carries it in a few varieties. I also buy ammo online and it is available in all the variety that I would need.
IMO/E it's not about financials, but tailoring loads you want, when you want them. As far as space, I started with a single stage press mounted to a board that was held up by two L-brackets next to my computer desk in a 1 bedroom apartment...

If you are going to stick with factory ammo, I'd go Creedmoor over the 260. Better options and availability.
Posted By: shaman Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/20/17
Let me add a +1 to the handloading route.

Although it would not be my first choice, The Lee Breech Lock Kit can be had for under $140. Lee dies can be had for $30 a set. This would be adequate for a 1-chambering beginner's setup. This is a rig that could be set up on the kitchen table or a desk and stored in a footlocker.

My point here is, given an existing 308 WIN rifle, a shooter can build custom ammo that is better suited to the task. I've done just that with my one 308 WIN rifle. It's a Savage 99. I deliberately downloaded it to 300 Savage levels for use out of my treestands. Recoil is not much more than a 30-30, and it makes an awesome 150 yard deer rifle. I'm sure it would work out much further, but I just don't have those kind of distances available from my treestands.

Just knocking 5% off the MAX load turns just about any hunting rifle into a much lighter shooting rig. It also frequently produces a really accurate load without a whole lot of work.

And just BTW: Our whole deer camp runs off standard Cup-n-Core Hornadys and Remingtons and 90% of what gets lobbed at the deer is powered by H4895. There is no need for us to be using premium loads.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/20/17
Originally Posted by JMR40
I can't think of anything a 25-06 does that a 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't so better and a 243 just as good.

At the ranges you're talking about there is little difference between 308 and either the 260 or 6.5 other than recoil. The 308 will be in the 15-16 ft lb range vs about 12 ft lbs for either the 260 or 6.5.

WRONG 260, 6.5 Creed and the 243 do NOT even begin to approach a 25-06 in muzzle blast. MB
Posted By: Theeck Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/28/17
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by JMR40
I can't think of anything a 25-06 does that a 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't so better and a 243 just as good.

WRONG 260, 6.5 Creed and the 243 do NOT even begin to approach a 25-06 in muzzle blast. MB

Update: Based on this endorsement, I bought a 25-06.

I couldn’t resist the urge for a new toy. I bought 60 rounds of the .308 VOR-TX with the 130 grain Barnes bullets. I’ll see how they do. Since I was off the .260 I decided to buy a 25-06 to play with. I got a Browning X-Bolt in the white gold model (stainless with a walnut stock). It has a 24 inch barrel so I don’t think the muzzle blast will be too bad. I just need to pck out a scope for it.
Posted By: Alex38 Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/29/17
Funny timing. I just added an X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 25-06. Now I just need to get it set up with the Talley’s and VX2 I bought and and then see how it shoots 110 AccuBonds.
Posted By: Theeck Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/29/17
Originally Posted by Alex38
Funny timing. I just added an X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 25-06. Now I just need to get it set up with the Talley’s and VX2 I bought and and then see how it shoots 110 AccuBonds.

Cool. I almost bought that model too. I have a couple black synthetic rifles already and I thought the White Gold was nice looking. Good luck with it. I have VX-1 scopes on all of my rifles and have never had a complaint (thus, I keep buying them). This time I am thinking about a VX-3i because it comes in 4.5-14x40 with the Boone and Crockett reticle. I thought that might be a nice option for longer range shots that the rifle should be capable of. Any thoughts on that scope?

Also, Alex, are you hand loading those Accubonds? My intention was to use the 110 Accubonds for deer but the only factory loads that I have seen are from Double Tap and they cost $60 a box. If that is all I can find, I might use the E-Tip copper bullets for $1 less per shot.
Posted By: RGB Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/30/17

Cool. I almost bought that model too. I have a couple black synthetic rifles already and I thought the White Gold was nice looking. Good luck with it. I have VX-1 scopes on all of my rifles and have never had a complaint (thus, I keep buying them). This time I am thinking about a VX-3i because it comes in 4.5-14x40 with the Boone and Crockett reticle. I thought that might be a nice option for longer range shots that the rifle should be capable of. Any thoughts on that scope?

Also, Alex, are you hand loading those Accubonds? My intention was to use the 110 Accubonds for deer but the only factory loads that I have seen are from Double Tap and they cost $60 a box. If that is all I can find, I might use the E-Tip copper bullets for $1 less per shot.

Federal sells the 110 AB. I love the 100g. BT, never had a deer take more than three steps.
Posted By: Alex38 Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/30/17

The White Gold is a nice looking rifle. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. I think the VX3i will be a fine scope for the rig. I have a VX2 4-12x40 with the LR Duplex reticle. As far as ammo, I load all of my own. I’m planning to start with Nosler book loads of RL19 under the 110 AB.
Posted By: JohnChilds Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/30/17
The VX-3i 4.5-14x40 is about my favorite hunting scope from Leupold. Awesome glass! I'd have to go count them, but I think I currently have about 6-7 of them on rifles. The CDS turret is a nice option if you're going to consider shooting some longer shots. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you try one!
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/30/17
I only read the first page, so forgive me if this is already been covered. The obvious answer is: 257 Roberts

ETA: I see you bought a 25-06. You'll love the Quarter bore. That was my first rifle, and
it would really shine at long distance. After that I went to a 7 mag because I started hunting elk. Bad knees keeps me out of the mountains plus I live east of the Mississippi River, so no need for the 7 mag. I now shoot a HusqaVarna in the 257 Roberts.
Posted By: RevMike Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
I only read the first page, so forgive me if this is already been covered. The obvious answer is: 257 Roberts. ... Bad knees keeps me out of the mountains plus I live east of the Mississippi River, so no need for the 7 mag. I now shoot a HusqaVarna in the 257 Roberts.

I doubt there is anything east of the Mississippi River that can't be taken with the Roberts. As most of the posters have mentioned, it's almost always about bullets now...and shot placement, as it's always been.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/30/17
I have killed lots of deer with both the .308, and the .260. I really liked the performance of both. My .260 does real well with Hornady 129 Interlocks at 3010 fps. That being said, for your ranges, I would take the Creed, if I was bent on getting a new rifle. It handles the long bullets a bit better, due to its design and gets nearly the same velocity as the .260.

Bottom line is that they will all do the job,
Posted By: RevMike Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 12/30/17
Let me make a comment on needing room for reloading equipment. I have a Lee cast iron press mounted on a portable box, and the rest of my reloading equipment, including powder, primers, bullets, dies, scale, etc., fits in two paper boxes (you know, the ones ten reams of copy paper comes in). That takes up very little space, and since I'm reloading only once or twice every couple of weeks, the setup and takedown time is irrelevant. It probably adds about 5 minutes on each end to the entire process, and everything is stored neatly in one corner of my home study. So the necessity of having dedicated space isn't really an issue.
Posted By: Theeck Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 01/02/18
That's a good idea. The problem is that I have a fly tying set-up, about 40+ fishing rods, 20 firearms, bows, plus camping gear, wall tents, tree stands, decoys, ice fishing gear, trapping gear, a dirt bike and safety gear, an atv, a mountain bike and all gear, extensive hunting clothing, tools, etc. in a 2700 square foot house in an urban area. Add the kids' toys and it is already overly cluttered. Because I live away from the woods, I spend a lot of time buying crap. Once my kids get older, I will probably find space for reloading.

This is just part of my basement: (my wife says I am a hoarder)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ColoWyoMan Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 01/05/18
Hahaha! Your wife says you're a hoarder...

My wife said that once, so we went down to the gun-store and I got a rifle for her...

Turned out to be the best trade I ever made...!!!

That is until the owner calls me up that evening and says, "You need to come get your wife. And by the way, you can keep the rifle, no charge."
Posted By: ColoWyoMan Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 01/05/18
As mentioned earlier, Ron Spomer has a youtube video comparing the 260 and 7mm-08 to the 308 and how they best the 308.

He also put out an article, https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/25-06-remington-beats-6-5-creedmoor/

It just strikes me funny how you went. All of these cartridges have their virtues, I find it to be like pick-ups. Everyone claims their brand is the best, professing all others to be POS, for me it all comes down to which POS do I wanna drive around in?

I've killed several mule deer with 100 gr B-tips and 110 gr AB with the 257 WBY and the wife has used the same from her Roberts on mule deer. Sierra 100 gr GK or the Prohunters are lights out for antelope from a 25-06 and a 75 gr HP or VMAX, or 87 gr SP are a coyotes worst nightmare. For elk I used to run 120 gr Partitions in the 257 WBY and the same in the 25-06 would be a bad day for any elk short of whatever distance you can maintain consistent accuracy.
Posted By: Bugger Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 01/05/18
I see little difference for what you are asking for. Both would work well. Hard to tell the difference in my opinion. Now, if you wanted longer range, better BC, or the other way if you wanted to shoot bigger game then one would be better than the other, in my opinion. Get the one you can get a better deal on.

Where I hunt is different than where you hunt, what I hunt is also different than what you hunt. So what would be better for me would be different than what would be better for you.
Posted By: devnull Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 01/06/18
Which are you most confident with? Go with that one.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 01/06/18
People who think 308 recoil is bad need to shoot some bigger guns.
Everyone thinks the worst recoil they have experienced is "bad".

I have a relatively light 300 Mag, it kicks. After a summer of shooting clays frequently, and spending some time patterning and sighting in an 870 turkey gun, that 300 suddenly didn't kick so hard.
Posted By: ribka Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 01/06/18
nice

That's a good idea. The problem is that I have a fly tying set-up, about 40+ fishing rods, 20 firearms, bows, plus camping gear, wall tents, tree stands, decoys, ice fishing gear, trapping gear, a dirt bike and safety gear, an atv, a mountain bike and all gear, extensive hunting clothing, tools, etc. in a 2700 square foot house in an urban area. Add the kids' toys and it is already overly cluttered. Because I live away from the woods, I spend a lot of time buying crap. Once my kids get older, I will probably find space for reloading.

This is just part of my basement: (my wife says I am a hoarder)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ribka Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 01/06/18
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
The 120s in the .260 will probably out-penetrate the 130s in the .308, will definitely fly flatter and farther and will recoil less in the process. Those are the only advantages I can think of but no deer will ever recognize them. An elk might, though, but not much.

If you want to compare apples to apples, go with the 100gr 6.5 TTSX in your .260.

I have owned both and if you handload I'd run a .260 all day and twice on Sunday over a .308 for the recoil reduction alone. And if the two bullet choices are 120 in 6.5 and 130 in .308, that 120 is going to run flatter and get deeper for more icing on the cake.

hell yeah
Posted By: 7 STW Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 01/06/18
25 06
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 01/06/18
minutiae
Posted By: 7 STW Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 01/06/18
Originally Posted by Fireball2
minutiae

There's really no need to explain the finer points. The cartridge speaks for itself. It just flat out works.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 01/06/18
Is not a 260 a necked down 308?

How can a necked down 308 out preform a 308 at 70 yards?

I got short auctioned BLR and a long auctioned BLR I like the short action better.

I also think the more bottlenecked and restrictive you make the bore in relation to the case, the less efficient the powder charge becomes.

If I want long range splendor me thinks 25 06.

If I want utility me thinks 308

If I want to paint myself into a corner of limited versatility me thinks 260

If I want to kill the bear........... 358.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 01/07/18
I been pondering your deal today.

Perhaps a good solution in the BLR takedown would be the 284 Winchester. If it was in the short action models might be muey bueno 4 your deal.
Posted By: husqvarna Re: 260 Rem vs 308 - 01/07/18
Availability, price, and variety of ammunition and bullets would favor a .308 for a hunting rifle. The .260 would obviously have ballistic benefits as a serious target cartridge.
© 24hourcampfire