Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I only read the first page, so forgive me if this is already been covered. The obvious answer is: 257 Roberts

ETA: I see you bought a 25-06. You'll love the Quarter bore. That was my first rifle, and
it would really shine at long distance. After that I went to a 7 mag because I started hunting elk. Bad knees keeps me out of the mountains plus I live east of the Mississippi River, so no need for the 7 mag. I now shoot a HusqaVarna in the 257 Roberts.

Last edited by keith_dunlap; 12/30/17.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
I only read the first page, so forgive me if this is already been covered. The obvious answer is: 257 Roberts. ... Bad knees keeps me out of the mountains plus I live east of the Mississippi River, so no need for the 7 mag. I now shoot a HusqaVarna in the 257 Roberts.

I doubt there is anything east of the Mississippi River that can't be taken with the Roberts. As most of the posters have mentioned, it's almost always about bullets now...and shot placement, as it's always been.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have killed lots of deer with both the .308, and the .260. I really liked the performance of both. My .260 does real well with Hornady 129 Interlocks at 3010 fps. That being said, for your ranges, I would take the Creed, if I was bent on getting a new rifle. It handles the long bullets a bit better, due to its design and gets nearly the same velocity as the .260.

Bottom line is that they will all do the job,

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Let me make a comment on needing room for reloading equipment. I have a Lee cast iron press mounted on a portable box, and the rest of my reloading equipment, including powder, primers, bullets, dies, scale, etc., fits in two paper boxes (you know, the ones ten reams of copy paper comes in). That takes up very little space, and since I'm reloading only once or twice every couple of weeks, the setup and takedown time is irrelevant. It probably adds about 5 minutes on each end to the entire process, and everything is stored neatly in one corner of my home study. So the necessity of having dedicated space isn't really an issue.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
That's a good idea. The problem is that I have a fly tying set-up, about 40+ fishing rods, 20 firearms, bows, plus camping gear, wall tents, tree stands, decoys, ice fishing gear, trapping gear, a dirt bike and safety gear, an atv, a mountain bike and all gear, extensive hunting clothing, tools, etc. in a 2700 square foot house in an urban area. Add the kids' toys and it is already overly cluttered. Because I live away from the woods, I spend a lot of time buying crap. Once my kids get older, I will probably find space for reloading.

This is just part of my basement: (my wife says I am a hoarder)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Hahaha! Your wife says you're a hoarder...

My wife said that once, so we went down to the gun-store and I got a rifle for her...

Turned out to be the best trade I ever made...!!!

That is until the owner calls me up that evening and says, "You need to come get your wife. And by the way, you can keep the rifle, no charge."

Shooter's Edge
FFL in Western CO
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
As mentioned earlier, Ron Spomer has a youtube video comparing the 260 and 7mm-08 to the 308 and how they best the 308.

He also put out an article, https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/25-06-remington-beats-6-5-creedmoor/

It just strikes me funny how you went. All of these cartridges have their virtues, I find it to be like pick-ups. Everyone claims their brand is the best, professing all others to be POS, for me it all comes down to which POS do I wanna drive around in?

I've killed several mule deer with 100 gr B-tips and 110 gr AB with the 257 WBY and the wife has used the same from her Roberts on mule deer. Sierra 100 gr GK or the Prohunters are lights out for antelope from a 25-06 and a 75 gr HP or VMAX, or 87 gr SP are a coyotes worst nightmare. For elk I used to run 120 gr Partitions in the 257 WBY and the same in the 25-06 would be a bad day for any elk short of whatever distance you can maintain consistent accuracy.

Shooter's Edge
FFL in Western CO
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I see little difference for what you are asking for. Both would work well. Hard to tell the difference in my opinion. Now, if you wanted longer range, better BC, or the other way if you wanted to shoot bigger game then one would be better than the other, in my opinion. Get the one you can get a better deal on.

Where I hunt is different than where you hunt, what I hunt is also different than what you hunt. So what would be better for me would be different than what would be better for you.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Which are you most confident with? Go with that one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People who think 308 recoil is bad need to shoot some bigger guns.
Everyone thinks the worst recoil they have experienced is "bad".

I have a relatively light 300 Mag, it kicks. After a summer of shooting clays frequently, and spending some time patterning and sighting in an 870 turkey gun, that 300 suddenly didn't kick so hard.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
nice

Originally Posted by Theeck
That's a good idea. The problem is that I have a fly tying set-up, about 40+ fishing rods, 20 firearms, bows, plus camping gear, wall tents, tree stands, decoys, ice fishing gear, trapping gear, a dirt bike and safety gear, an atv, a mountain bike and all gear, extensive hunting clothing, tools, etc. in a 2700 square foot house in an urban area. Add the kids' toys and it is already overly cluttered. Because I live away from the woods, I spend a lot of time buying crap. Once my kids get older, I will probably find space for reloading.

This is just part of my basement: (my wife says I am a hoarder)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
The 120s in the .260 will probably out-penetrate the 130s in the .308, will definitely fly flatter and farther and will recoil less in the process. Those are the only advantages I can think of but no deer will ever recognize them. An elk might, though, but not much.

If you want to compare apples to apples, go with the 100gr 6.5 TTSX in your .260.

I have owned both and if you handload I'd run a .260 all day and twice on Sunday over a .308 for the recoil reduction alone. And if the two bullet choices are 120 in 6.5 and 130 in .308, that 120 is going to run flatter and get deeper for more icing on the cake.

hell yeah

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
25 06

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
minutiae

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
minutiae

There's really no need to explain the finer points. The cartridge speaks for itself. It just flat out works.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Is not a 260 a necked down 308?

How can a necked down 308 out preform a 308 at 70 yards?

I got short auctioned BLR and a long auctioned BLR I like the short action better.

I also think the more bottlenecked and restrictive you make the bore in relation to the case, the less efficient the powder charge becomes.

If I want long range splendor me thinks 25 06.

If I want utility me thinks 308

If I want to paint myself into a corner of limited versatility me thinks 260

If I want to kill the bear........... 358.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I been pondering your deal today.

Perhaps a good solution in the BLR takedown would be the 284 Winchester. If it was in the short action models might be muey bueno 4 your deal.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Availability, price, and variety of ammunition and bullets would favor a .308 for a hunting rifle. The .260 would obviously have ballistic benefits as a serious target cartridge.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1badf350, 10ring1, 160user, 12savage, 68 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,302
Posts18,505,380
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.