Home
Posted By: Otter Good gun value resource? - 04/13/18
I am getting to the age where I am feeling the need to "thin the herd" residing in my safe. Is there currently a reliable, reasonable print book available to gauge MY asking price for what I decide to let go of? I intend to sell these to friends and fellow gun club members, so I am wanting to be fair to them as well as to me, i.e - I am not looking for rape to occur on either side of the transaction(s),

Thanks . . . Otter
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Good gun value resource? - 04/13/18
Does "reasonable" mean you consider the BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES too expensive?
Posted By: Otter Re: Good gun value resource? - 04/13/18
Not at all . . . just have not seen one on a shelf in our part of the country, although I am just starting to look. I meant the prices they list for reasonable and reliable firearms values, I didn't mean the cost of the/a book.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Good gun value resource? - 04/13/18
I would not use a book at all and would 100% use gun broker as my guide. I have never looked up a gun in the blue book and thought it was right. Some times its not even in the ballpark.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Good gun value resource? - 04/13/18
Otter,

Thanks for the clarification. I use both the Blue Book (which is easily purchased on-line, and generally where I get mine) and Internet sites, because too many of the guns I want to sell or purchase don't appear very often on gunbroker.com, or even at all. The folks who publish the Blue Book continually research gun prices, and not just on the Internet, to provide a good idea when gunbroker can't.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Good gun value resource? - 04/13/18
I used to have an annual subscription to the on-line Blue Book of Gun Values, but as I have "thinned the herd" and cut back on new acquisitions, I pretty much just use their "one-time" or three-day subscriptions to research firearms that I have to sell or want to purchase. You might want to check it out and see if either would meet your need(s). I do also usually check gun broker.com, as well.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Good gun value resource? - 04/13/18
I am not looking for rape to occur on either side of the transaction(s),

Well, at any rate, this oughta give you a realistic appraisal of your friendship!

Be sure all monies are paid up front, especially from "friends".
Posted By: hanco Re: Good gun value resource? - 04/13/18
See what they are going for on GunBroker. Search feature.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Good gun value resource? - 04/15/18
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I would not use a book at all and would 100% use gun broker as my guide. I have never looked up a gun in the blue book and thought it was right. Some times its not even in the ballpark.

The Blue Book of Gun Values is meant to be used as a guide and the editor specifically says that certain prices of individual pieces vary in geographic localities. A current issue is a very good place to begin pricing your pieces. Use online auctions, such as www.gunbroker.com, to confirm what you've seen.
I've followed gunbroker long enough that I've seen prices on identical pieces vary from $2,250 for a left hand bolt action rifle to $755 for the same model less than a month later. You can't depend on any one single point of reference to give you all the information you want or need.
© 24hourcampfire