Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Otter Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am getting to the age where I am feeling the need to "thin the herd" residing in my safe. Is there currently a reliable, reasonable print book available to gauge MY asking price for what I decide to let go of? I intend to sell these to friends and fellow gun club members, so I am wanting to be fair to them as well as to me, i.e - I am not looking for rape to occur on either side of the transaction(s),

Thanks . . . Otter

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Does "reasonable" mean you consider the BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES too expensive?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Otter Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not at all . . . just have not seen one on a shelf in our part of the country, although I am just starting to look. I meant the prices they list for reasonable and reliable firearms values, I didn't mean the cost of the/a book.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would not use a book at all and would 100% use gun broker as my guide. I have never looked up a gun in the blue book and thought it was right. Some times its not even in the ballpark.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Otter,

Thanks for the clarification. I use both the Blue Book (which is easily purchased on-line, and generally where I get mine) and Internet sites, because too many of the guns I want to sell or purchase don't appear very often on gunbroker.com, or even at all. The folks who publish the Blue Book continually research gun prices, and not just on the Internet, to provide a good idea when gunbroker can't.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to have an annual subscription to the on-line Blue Book of Gun Values, but as I have "thinned the herd" and cut back on new acquisitions, I pretty much just use their "one-time" or three-day subscriptions to research firearms that I have to sell or want to purchase. You might want to check it out and see if either would meet your need(s). I do also usually check gun broker.com, as well.

Last edited by mudhen; 04/13/18.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am not looking for rape to occur on either side of the transaction(s),

Well, at any rate, this oughta give you a realistic appraisal of your friendship!

Be sure all monies are paid up front, especially from "friends".

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
See what they are going for on GunBroker. Search feature.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I would not use a book at all and would 100% use gun broker as my guide. I have never looked up a gun in the blue book and thought it was right. Some times its not even in the ballpark.

The Blue Book of Gun Values is meant to be used as a guide and the editor specifically says that certain prices of individual pieces vary in geographic localities. A current issue is a very good place to begin pricing your pieces. Use online auctions, such as www.gunbroker.com, to confirm what you've seen.
I've followed gunbroker long enough that I've seen prices on identical pieces vary from $2,250 for a left hand bolt action rifle to $755 for the same model less than a month later. You can't depend on any one single point of reference to give you all the information you want or need.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 14idaho, 16penny, 26 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 1,018 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,650
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.