Home
Posted By: verhoositz 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
If ya'll were gonna buy a pair of one or the other caliber to cover the weather and any other usages for under 400 yard hunting only shots... what are ya'll thoughts for a doall caliber for a beat up tired old man getting slower everyday?
Ron
Six years ago, at 74, my dad transitioned from a .30-06 to a 7mm-08. My handloads closely replicate Nosler factory Accubond ammunition.

Three years later one shot all 225 yards resulted in a notched tag.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He’s killed deer, too. Never felt undergunned.

P
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
This is exactly the .30-06 vs. .308 debate taken down .024".
I assume you are thinking bolt guns?
Are you trying to build light rifle(s) to the extent that action length matters? If so, maybe the 7mm-08.
Are you a person who favors heavy for caliber bullets? If so, maybe the .280.
Do you like controlled feed actions? If so, maybe the .280. Not that a 7mm-08 won't feed well. But the rule of thumb is longer is better.
You are really splitting hairs here, so it is going to take more info.

And that is before someone tells you what you really want is a 6.5 Creedmore. To which I would reply "How about a .270?" cool
Annnnd then, comes the popcorn!
Posted By: czech1022 Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
My choice is the 7mm-08. Lighter recoil, you'll find excellent ammo in any store and the short action rifles will likely be a touch lighter to carry. You didn't ask, but I'd put that 7mm-08 ammo in a Tikka T3X lite stainless and never worry about if it's going to be accurate or if it's well protected from the weather.

This combination is custom-made for exactly what you stated you need.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Six years ago, at 74, my dad transitioned from a .30-06 to a 7mm-08. My handloads closely replicate Nosler factory Accubond ammunition.

Three years later one shot all 225 yards resulted in a notched tag.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He’s killed deer, too. Never felt undergunned.

P

Nice post, you are a quality asset to this forum.
Originally Posted by verhoositz
If ya'll were gonna buy a pair of one or the other caliber to cover the weather and any other usages for under 400 yard hunting only shots... what are ya'll thoughts for a doall caliber for a beat up tired old man getting slower everyday?
Ron

I like the 708 myself.
What is the reasoning behind buying a pair of identical guns?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
Pick a rifle that suits you, then worry about the cartridge. Never been to Texas (yet), but aside from nilgai, anything from .243 up ought to work. I picked a Fieldcraft 6 Creedmoor for my old man rifle, but it could easily have been a .243, 6.5, .270, or 7-08. The thirty cal rounds are on the edge of comfort and shootability in such a light rifle, I believe, and not really needed here.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
7-08
Castle Rock...one non custom bolt action in an All weather SS/composite for wet weather or the nasty dense local hunting areas here in East Texas, and the other in a more traditional wood/blue...and yes I am turning 74 before this years hunting season starts. One hard lesson I learned early on was to always have a spare shooter on hand or to travel with, and the most common pairing in the past was a 270 & 300WMg for different ranges field conditions, then about 19 year ago became a 270 & a 6.5 Swede T3 after the health issues resulted the recoil tolarance concerns they are today. Nothing heals back to whatever was "normal" anymore.

Been shooting 270's for 50 years as the primary, with forays to hunt with into everything from the 243 1st rifle in 1967 to a couple belted mag's for everyday shooters over the years, so a more simple solution of one size fits all, like the 270 became for me all those years at this point seems to be a better answer, and the 7-08 was what I had arrived at after using a M70 7x57 a little last year for the first time...but discovered almost no 7x57 (or 280 ammo either) factory ammo on the shelf anywhere outside of the big city shops, so the 7-08 can take that role when I finally stop reloading too.

FWIW I am 2nd guessing myself with this request for other opinons, as the 7-08 seems to be THE no brainer, and yes the 6.5's have been a favorite, but have no experience with a Creedmore, but it is a viable choice with more and more available ammo anywhere these days and IMO a much better alternative than the usual 243 answer for recoil sensitive old folks and beginners. Thanks all.
Ron
Posted By: shaman Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
I announced 5 years ago that I was buying my last 30-06. I drew the line, because I had a very full collection, especially in 30-06, and I was watching my near-80 hunting buddy start to have trouble dealing with recoil. What I figured was that over time I as going to start having similar problems, and it was a better idea to start exploring chamberings that had less recoil than '06. That last '06 has so far been the best rifle I ever shouldered, a Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06.

So here's the deal: Gundoc7 is dead right. I'm looking at this 280 vs 7mm08 thing myself. My take on it is that 7mm08 will do me for everything I need to do with considerably less recoil than 280 REM. For now, I'm still good with all my 30-somethings, but when the time comes, I'll move to 7mm08. I'm also expecting that I won't be shooting much past 250 yards into the foreseeable future.

280Rem looks great too. I'm sure that with the right loads, I could shoot it into my dotage, but there's more rifle there than I'm going to need.
Posted By: pete53 Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
simple for the average person when he buys a rifle > 7mm-08 reason rifles are easier to buy,ammo is easier to find,less recoil, 7mm-08 is accurate too.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
Since your considering not reloading anymore and the the type of terrain mainly here in East Texas, the easiest choice is a 7-08.

The 7-08 is available in way more rifles of different makes and sizes. And as you said the ammo can be bought at nearly anywhere including Wallyworld.

I take it you live near Palestine since I see the "Dogwood Capital" reference.
Posted By: hanco Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
If you are a 1 fun hunter, go 280
Posted By: mathman Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
7-08
Posted By: SuperCub Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
Short/lightweight rifle with small scope = 7/08
Longer/heavier rifle with larger scope = 280
You couldn't pick to closer performing cartridges if you tried. I think the 7mm-08 is a better package in terms of accuracy, ease of reloading i.e....easy on powder, ease of making brass from the worlds most common .308win etc. Ive had a pile of them and have used them very successfully on deer and paper and have never had a complaint. Its really the best cartridge we have going at this stage of the game imho.

I don't own one though...no good reason...but as rifle loonies all know guns come and go. I use a pair of 270s at this point...for no other reason than they are accurate and kick little but kill big. Same could be said of the 7mm-08...or the 280.

As a handloader i would still probably buy the 280 just because its less common in hunting camps...and the 7-08 has become so popular of a late....but I'm a loon

Buy the 7mm-08 and move on with life. You've got better factory ammo.
Posted By: super T Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
The old and very respected 7x57 has been used to kill large animals around the world without drama, the 7-08 offers the same performance in a shorter package. I'd be happy with the .08.
Posted By: coltchris Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
https://imgur.com/a/gvDvI2E

Enough said; 7mm-08 works for this (80) yr. old geezer!
Posted By: DubThomas Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
Get the 7/08. Shorter action, lighter weight, easy on the shoulder, easy to reload for. I bought a Remington 700 CDL in 7/08 several years ago and it gave me fits as far as accuracy goes. I finally had it bedded and a trigger job done and now its a .5 MOA shooter with handloaded 140 gr. Accubonds. I used it last year on my west Texas lease and took a good whitetail at 302 yards off the sticks. He never knew what hit him.
Posted By: Brad Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
7-08
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
Yep. For a non-handloader the 7-08's the obvious choice.
Posted By: szihn Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
Either is just fine.

It it were me, I'd go with the 7-08 because I am a hand-loader, and you can make very long lasting brass for a 7-08 out of surplus GI Machine Gun brass. I have done it for both 7-08 and 260 and the cases I made were as good and probably a bit better then the commercial offerings, yet the cost was super low and sometimes free. Free brass, easily made into 7-08, compared to full price for the 280. But that's the only reason I would choose the 7-08 in a bolt action. In a bolt action there is no arguing that the 280 fires it's bullets a bit faster owing to the fact it holds more powder.
In my 50 years of gunsmithing and shooting, I have yet to see this "advantage" the writers speak of when it comes to short bolt actions. In bolt guns I have not found short actions to be more accurate, faster or easier to handle. All these things we are told to believe, but making guns myself for 50 years now, I can't force myself to believe it because I can't see any real-world evidence of those claims.

The longer 280 give you a bit more speed, but I doubt that it matters to ANY animal you would ever shoot with a 7MM rifle. The ballistic difference between the two is what gives rifle-fans fodder to talk over. But my experience has shown me that the difference in killing ability of a 270, a 280 a 7-08 a 308, 30-06 (with bullets up to 180 grains) and a 7MM Mag is virtually non-existent on game. 7MM Mag fans will hate me saying so, and I have nothing bad to say about the 7MM Mags, but the real truth is that in all my years, I have not seen that it works any better then any of those other cartridges I listed here.

If I were to want a lever action BLR, or a semi-auto I would choose the 7-08 because it makes for a more compact action that feels and handles easier to me. Having shot both the short and the long BLRs I can say I prefer the short one. I own a 30-06 in a BLR and it's very smooth and accurate, but my friends BLR in 7-08 is lighter, easier to work the lever, and just a nicer feeling gun.

My last point about the 7-08 is that if you are so inclined to want an AR10 style rifle, the 7-08 is super easy to make and uses standard NATO magazines, whereas the 280 is way to long to fit.
I have a 7-08, don't have a 280.

But the 280 is a fine round, the .280 AI gets pretty close to the 7RM in a more efficient package.

I guess it boils down to the individual gun, SA vs. LA.

My 7-08 is a Bobby Hart built 700 in a Hunters Edge. It's a mighty nice rifle and right now, my go to WT and hog gun.

But, as a Loony, that's always subject to change...

DF

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

Nice post, you are a quality asset to this forum.

I’ve learned more from this site than I’ve taught, so I feel an obligation to provide relevant experience.

As to the rifle choice, it’s hard to beat a Tikka for accuracy. These are Tikka 7mm-08 targets:

One of mine
[Linked Image]

My brother’s
[Linked Image]

A different one of mine (who buys two of the same rifle?)

[Linked Image]

P
Posted By: cra1948 Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
Well, you’ve gotten a lot of bad advice here. Although I’ve no experience with either cartridge, the answer to your question is obvious in the title of the thread: TEXAS! Go big or go home! .280 is bigger.
Originally Posted by cra1948
Well, you’ve gotten a lot of bad advice here. Although I’ve no experience with either cartridge, the answer to your question is obvious in the title of the thread: TEXAS! Go big or go home! .280 is bigger.

Ain’t bigger. Faster, but not bigger. And faster don’t mean diddly inside of 400 yards.

To the OP: I’ve killed deer with my 7mm-08 out to 541 yards, and elk to 346 yards. My nephew killed his first bull last year, a 5x6, at a bit over 400. You’ll have plenty of gun with the 7mm-08, and it won’t bang you around.

P
Posted By: Teeder Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
I'd go 7mm-08 also. However, if you do want a .280, I have a nice older Rem Mnt rifle that I'd sell ya.
Posted By: tdd4570 Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
I suggest you let the rifle make the decision for you.

Pick the rifle first. See what you like and what really fits you. What is it available in?

If both are available in the rifle you choose, I would take the 7mm-08 due to accuracy, ammo availability, etc... as has been said above.

If the rifle you really like and fits is only available in 280, that would work just fine also. If shooting factory ammo, there really isn't much difference.

Ain’t bigger. Faster, but not bigger. And faster don’t mean diddly inside of 400 yards.

To the OP: I’ve killed deer with my 7mm-08 out to 541 yards, and elk to 346 yards. My nephew killed his first bull last year, a 5x6, at a bit over 400. You’ll have plenty of gun with the 7mm-08, and it won’t bang you around.

P

Yep, as long as you loading it with BG powder... grin

cool

DF
1911 ..across the street from Davey Dogwood Park....and the creek that runs thru it cross's my street about 1/2 block away... grin
Ron
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

P

Yep, as long as you loading it with BG powder... grin

cool

DF

Damn straight.

P
.280 AI rules, one of the best cartridges for Texas hunting.
I would either get a 26" barreled 7-08 or a 20" 280. wink
Posted By: Biebs Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18
I just listed a NIB Sako 85 Bavarian in 7mm-08 at a great price in the Classifieds if you want a 7mm-08.
7mm-08. For Texas hunting under 400 yards, it'll do everything you need with less recoil
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/01/18

Could not agree more.
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Could not agree more.

That makes two of you who can’t do math.

P
Ron, I still have that .280 I've told you about. It's a shooter. I'm about to do a couple of things to it to dress it up more. It will have everything I'd ever want except a 3-position safety on it, and if I ever do that it will be the "not for sale" sign.
Posted By: bwinters Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/02/18
7mm-08

But...... I've got a 280 Rem and a 280 AI. I love the 280. I have a Kimber MT 257 Robts that I'm not excited about even though it shoots well. My hesitation with turning it into a 7-08 is the 2.8 inch mag box. Seating 150 and 160 gr bullets to the primer seems to be a bit of a waste of good capacity. A Fieldcraft solves that issue but can't get past the non-locking bolt 'feature'. Still the 7-08 tugs at my rifle looneyism......
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
7mm-08. For Texas hunting under 400 yards, it'll do everything you need with less recoil

^^^This^^^

And much easier to find Factory ammo if you don’t reload.
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Could not agree more.

That makes two of you who can’t do math.

P

Think case capacity whistle
I get case capacity.

That doesn’t make it bigger, only faster.

P
Would seating a .30-cal in it make it bigger? I seated a .257 in a 6mm once. Not sure just exactly what I was trying to do.
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/02/18
If the OP has been shooting a .270 for fifty some odd years I'm not sure there is much difference in recoil for similar rifles, similar bullet weights, loaded to the same velocity chambered for 7x57, 7-08, .280, .270, or for that matter, .284. Yes, some will do it with a bit more or less powder (which will have a minor effect on recoil), some have the ability to go a bit faster (with a bit more recoil), and some might handle heavy bullets better (again with a bit more recoil.) As far as finding ammo in some out of the way place, my money is on the .270. I guess the 7-08 is not far behind, but I admit I haven't looked.

Unless I am trying to build an uber light rifle, I tend toward the longer action and case so as not to crowd either case or action. Lever, semi-auto, or maybe pump I can see the advantages of the shorter rounds, especially for an AR as previously mentioned by another member.
In my experience 270 ammo is way more common than 7mm/08. The only thing that rivals it is the 06 and perhaps the 7mag
Posted By: rost495 Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/02/18
243 will do anything you want all day long. But between the 2 above, its only a take your pick.

Deer are not hard to kill.

When my buddies dad did the same, he went from 270 to 223. For some reason he still shot a buck each year with the 270 but we had isssues finding those deer soemtimes, used my dog quite often for that. He shot the rest of his deer with 223 and other than one shto that my dog said was only a wound, not a kill, never had any issues with the 223. Even though he used bullets that I would not have in it....
Posted By: IKE Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/02/18
Of the two my vote is for the 7mm-08.

Many, many moons ago my first deer rifle was a used and Weaver 4X scoped Marlin 30-30 from a pawn shop and I killed several deer with it and then thinking that I wanted to kill them "more dead" I went to a Remington 30-06 and I killed a bunch of deer with it also.

Getting older and getting tired of the '06 thump' a few years back I went with a Savage 7-08 and I couldn't be happier with the accuracy, lighter recoil or it's killing abilities.

I'm loading Sierra 120 gr. Pro Hunters over a good charge of Varget.
Originally Posted by IKE

How do those stack up against the 120 NBT, which is quite popular in the 7-08. In fact, that's my go to WT bullet right now.

DF
Posted By: cra1948 Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/02/18
Actually, 7mm’s of any flavor are so 1980’s....this thread should be about 6.5’s...
Actually, 7mm’s of any flavor are so 1980’s....this thread should be about 6.5’s...

laugh

DF
Posted By: Bugger Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/02/18
Talk about a 308 vs. 30-06 thread whistle

I own one 7mm-08 Ticca and two Model 700 280’s, one is marked 7mm Express so I keep it in the safe. I just put together a 280 AI and have not got past putting a bore conditioner in it. Right now I have shingles in my right eye and have not been shooting for a week or more.

My other 280 shoots 150 grain Nosler Partitions in UNDER 1/2” at 100 yards with 5 shot groups. My 7mm-08 hasn’t done that with any load.

My sampling is small.

But if the recoil of a 280 is too much, then go with the 7mm-08. I doubt very much you’ll be able to tell the difference though, I cannot. Is the couple of ounces too much for you to carry? Then go with the 7mm-08. Again not enough difference to be able to notice for me.

I like the 280. I have been shooting one since the 70’s. The first one was a Mauser, the second was a Ruger (the Ruger was a very accurate rifle with several loads), the third was a Mauser, the last two are 700’s. The 280 AI has a 700 action too.

The only ones that were fickle were the Mausers - they liked heavy long bullets with fairly blunt ogives. Speer Mag Tips I think. With the right bullets they shot pretty well.

If I could have only one high power rifle for game the 280 would be one of my top choices.

One grouping, one not grouping has to be a function of the gun and barrel, not the round.

My 7-08 shoots sub inch all day long. Maybe the Hart barrel helps, but it's an accurate rifle.

280's are accurate, 7-08's are accurate, .280 AI's are accurate. Depends on gun, load and shooter, IMO.

DF
Posted By: Bugger Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/02/18
One grouping, one not grouping has to be a function of the gun and barrel, not the round.

My 7-08 shoots sub inch all day long. Maybe the Hart barrel helps, but it's an accurate rifle.

280's are accurate, 7-08's are accurate, .280 AI's are accurate. Depends on gun, load and shooter, IMO.

DF

DF is right again.
Posted By: Tejano Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/02/18
Got a 280AI just to be different before it went factory and it is one of the best. Passed on the 270 because it was common but then got one for my son and wonder why I didn't get one sooner for myself. Same with the 6.5x55 shot a surplus 38 carbine when I was a kid and left it behind because the bolt was on the wrong (right) side. Now that I am getting re-aquantted with 6.5x55 I am impressed at what a great deer round this is, almost as good as the Creedmoor.

You can pick just about any cartridge between 243 and 308 and it will meet your needs just fine. Me I am going for quality not quantity and so far still like my medium magnums from 300 to 375 but stop there. I would probably customize a pair you already have before getting two new rifles, but then again always nice to get a new one.
Originally Posted by Tejano
Me I am going for quality not quantity...

Agree and that's the way I've been moving.

I'd rather have a few really good guns than a safe full of so-so stuff.

A lot of my so-so stuff has already gone down the road to fund nicer stuff. I've done a good bit of trading over the years.

Most of what I now have isn't trading material. I've cycled thru most of that, now am down to keepers.

DF
Much as I love my 280's, if I was limited to hunting in TX, I'd be happy with the 7-08, maybe even if I wasn't just limited to TX, too................maybe. As I said, I love my 280's.

I have both, & to 400 yards using the same bullets, & on animals smaller that elk, you will never see a difference as there really is none that matters.

There's really nothing not to like about the 7-08 at all, IMO.

MM
I am 78 years old, and about 3 years ago I got interested I the 7x57 (aka 7mm Mauser) and all it's associated history. I eventually ended up with two 7x57s; a sporterized Mauser made in the Czech factory at Brno back in 1932 for the Peruvian Army, and a Ruger M77 MKII. Love the light recoil and the performance which seems to always exceed what the ballistic tables would lead you to believe. This classic old caliber has a great reputation and anyone that has "googled" 7x57 knows this to be true . It will handle up to elk sized game (especially with the 160 and 175 grain bullets). It's modern day ballistic twin is the 7mm-08. If I didn't have my 7x57s; that is the rifle caliber that I would be buying. It will handle most all your North American big game hunting needs; with the exception of the big bears of course.

CJ
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/02/18
I wouldn't hesitate to head to Africa with my 7-08 and 140 TTSX pellets.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

After doing so well with 160 NAB’s out of your 7RM...?

DF
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/02/18
Gee, what an "interesting" thread.

Apparently some people still wander around the days when muzzle energy was the criteria for big game cartridges.

Back in John Taylor's day, when only cup-and-core 140-grain bullets were available for the.275 Rigby (aka 7x57), he thought it was plenty for any African game under 1000 pounds.

I've killed plenty of big game with the 7x57 (aka .275) up to 1000+ pounds using "modern" bullets of various weights up to 160 grains with no problems. Have also used it with various lighter bullets on somewhat lighter game, again no problems.

It would be somewhat astonishing if any appropriate bullet bounced off a Texas deer--or indeed a water buffalo, also found in Texas.
Posted By: 16bore Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/02/18
Originally Posted by Three30Eight
In my experience 270 ammo is way more common than 7mm/08. The only thing that rivals it is the 06 and perhaps the 7mag

270. Because it works, always has, always will, and pisses people off.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/03/18

DF

Well.........I guess what I mean is that that combo would kill stuff dead over there. However, I would still rather take the 7RM/AB combo as my first choice. wink
Posted By: GregW Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/03/18
Originally Posted by hanco
If you are a 1 fun hunter, go 280

Do you know the reason you post half the stuff you do all over? Love to hear your "assessment" of this one but I will not hold my breath....

It doesn't really matter, hell half of Texas shoots nothing bigger than a .22-250 at everything, including both my brothers who will shoot your eye all out at night off a windy predator rack waaay out there....

Of the 2, I prefer a 7-08 but I also gun a .280 Ackley. There is no wrong answer here unless you are a factory ammo guy, then go 7-08. The 7-08 is just a .280 about 100 yards closer....

I think the 7-08 is the perfect marriage of recoil, available bullets, and killability going. I've got 3 of them and I could post dead stuff my wife and I have piled up with one for days....
Why do people shoot at your brothers? That’s not legal there, is it?

P
Posted By: GregW Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/03/18
Why do people shoot at your brothers? That’s not legal there, is it?

P

Laughing...

True story. This happens often. It's not easy shooting at night and with a windy truck rack with no elbow rest....

I'll be shining a light for predators and I'll get eyes way out there. Bruce goes, it's a cat. I go, it's out there quite a bit. He goes, it's still sitting on it's butt. I got it he goes. He shoots, the eyes disappear. I go haha you missed. He goes, nah I killed it...

He walks out there and grabs that cat shot right through the eye. 486 yards off a windy rack with no elbow rest. He was 12. He's now 30. I've seen shots like this my whole life and it doesn't surprise me anymore.

Running coyotes at 400? No problem....

He would think cartridge discussions like this are laughable and would be foreign to him. He doesn't reload, has a 10 year old Weaver scope, and has shot out about 5 .22-250 barrels in his Remington 700 with a 12 twist....

He humbles me with topics just like this cause it simply doesn't matter and he's living proof. Then he laughs at me...
1911 ..across the street from Davey Dogwood Park....and the creek that runs thru it cross's my street about 1/2 block away... grin
Ron

Ron, I was in Palestine yesterday! Usually hit a couple pawn shops but didn't have time. Go with the 7-08 for practicality, or the 280 for fun! Heck, you are gonna get two so go with one of each. You don't have to keep caliber the same!

Mike

DF

Well.........I guess what I mean is that that combo would kill stuff dead over there. However, I would still rather take the 7RM/AB combo as my first choice. wink

Just checking.

Was afraid you were pulling an Ingwe, reverting to lighter rounds.

"Stunt shooter" awaits at the end of that tunnel... blush

DF
7mm-08. Just do it and don't look back. It just works.
Until a few days ago I had never fired either round. Me and the grandson fired the new to us Tikka T3X Superlite in 6.5 Creed the other day an it was more fun then the other rifles we fired. Like my 8 pound custom .338, the 6.5 lb. Husqvarna 30-06 and the 7 lb. 45-70. Any way we enjoyed the Creed from the bench.

From what I have read both the .280 and 7-08 will kill any North American animal all day long and I see no reason for more power then a short action cartridge puts out for Texas hunts. Texas deer ain't huge, so why go big with a cartridge?
Posted By: IKE Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/03/18
Originally Posted by IKE

How do those stack up against the 120 NBT, which is quite popular in the 7-08. In fact, that's my go to WT bullet right now.

DF

DF,

Straight out of the chute I went with the Sierra 120 gr. Pro Hunter's and I've had real good luck with them so I haven't tried the 120 gr.NBT's......you know the old saying, "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

If you'd like to try the Pro Hunter's I've got a open box of 84 that I'll send to you on my dime.

Ike
Posted By: sdbrown3 Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/03/18
I like 280, have one of them and a 280 AI. Better velocity for longer shots, but I'm on the plains of MT. Just a preference, I don't think you'll go wrong with either. If you handload, 280 is definitely the way to go in my book. A lot more options for factory ammo in 7mm-08.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/03/18
As much as I love my 280, I'd go 7-08.
Posted By: sdbrown3 Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/03/18
I agree with previous posters on a couple things:

7mm-08 - short action, lighter rifle, under 400 yds no problem, better with lighter bullets

280 Rem - long action, "standard" weight rifle, maybe extend the range by 100-200 yards, will handle the heavier bullets better with proper twist

Anymore - I buy or build rifles off of which bullets i'm intending to shoot.
Posted By: 16bore Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/03/18
Think in terms of +\- 12" (10 mph X) drift and impact velocity over 2,000 fps at 400 yards, and essentially the world is your oyster.

No sense in overthinking it.
Thanks all for the insights and opinions...Old Age hopefully comes to us all , some more gracefuly and tolerable than it is for others...which is where I'm headed, apparantly.

2 totally unrelated events is what I am paying attention to and what triggered the call to get it done of finally clearing out all the limited use and unused shooters...and then my 2nd guessing myself to prove the Theory was not just excuse to go buy some more guns that would not get used enough to justify them....and came up with the idea for getting any of ya'll to comment on the primary caliber decision in a 7-08 x 280 conversation. I'll also probably wind up with a 6.5 CM instead of a 243 after listening to some of my old farts who've gone into various 22 CF's with some mixed results reported from the less than the always relaible excellent bullet placements that old age issues create are more common with. No body I've ever known over 75 years old shoots enough to stay as sharp as they once were, and I trust heavier bullets at twice the .224's common bullet weights to give a better % opportunity for DRT's

A very old friend, some years older'n me too and about as beat up too at pushing close to 80, had done a Africa Plains Game trip last year, not his 1st trip over by a long shot either , with more back story to tale than I'll go into here. Long Story Short, he wound up taking his wife's Browning Lever Gun in 7-08, using 140's in a premium round and had a very successful trip with no hiccups and some shots at a little over 200 yards as a max range. Then early last year I backed into a 7x57 XTR M70 and was very surprised at it's lack of recoil and ease of shooting, compared to the M70 Ult Shadow 270 in a factory Sporter stock that was bumping me more with my usual max max loaded 130 grainers than I'd anticipated. Duoh ...I ain't 10 feet tall and bulletproof any more. I'd also been considering for a couple years getting down to just 2-3 calibers to load for and...mebbe just mebbe this year was the time to execute The Plan and get back to planning where and what to hunt here at home, and forget all about the other trips that were never taken.

MY Remaining LIfe needs to get back to a simple more straightforward set of pre made decisons and stop with all the what ifs and therefors, picking fly poop outta the pepper, and more like it was when I had One Rifle and knew I could trust the decisions I'd already made to be the best choices for my needs when I pulled the trigger.
Thanks again for all the input...
Ron
Posted By: Tejano Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/04/18
Ok to stop the splitting of C Hairs I will say go 284 Winchester. Neck up Lapua 6.5x264 load any good 140 grain bullet and go out and shoot stuff.
Posted By: 16bore Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 08/04/18
It all seems to go full circle, which is how I ended up back in 270'ville and quit worry about what doesn't matter.
Posted By: captdavid Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/10/18

I just turned 70. I had a 7-08 and a 7x57, I kept the 7x57. and sold the 708 to buy the parts to build a semi custom 280. As you are probably aware the 7-08 and 7x57 are basically ballistic twins. I specifically take the 280 when I think shots may exceed 250yds or so. I seldom take it. Buy the 7-08, if the new Hornady stuff that replaces light mags is similar you will have a hard time doing much better with the 280. my only problem with short actions, is that they are a little harder load than the longer actions. capt david
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/10/18
Well, I live in Texas and have/had a .280 and the ballistic equivalent of the 7-08, a nice 7x57. Gave the .280 to my oldest son and kept the 7x57 for myself. So, I’d say go with the 7-08, it’ll do everything you need it to in Texas and most of the rest of the world as well.
Posted By: burt2506 Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/10/18
.25-06

You are welcome.
Yet another vote for the 7-08.

I've killed a lot of Texas game with it and never wished for a .280.
Posted By: lastround Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/10/18
7mm-08
Posted By: MadMooner Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/11/18
270 Win

(Had to, the campfire made me. smile )
If I can’t hold muh unit in my hand, I wanna hold a fat belted magnum cartridge, so that’s wize I shoots uh 7mm REM MAG, and so should you.

Load it lite with 120 grain boolits and a lite load, and she’ll work good furs yuh, and you can pass that cannon down to a son or grandson, not no girly man, and they can load it up to max while enjoying it for years to come while they think of you while using it uh huntin’.

Gitcha a lite weight 7mm RM, and some good 120g all copper boolits. That rat thar’ pards is whutcha needs.

Plus, you can talk trash to your fellow buds your age back at camp, who have scaled down, and ask them why they are shooting a ladies gun. Cuz you and I know, a deer camp in Texas ain’t worth crap unless you have a bunch of good ole pals talking trash all weekend. When you drag that big ole East Texas paper mill lease buck into camp, just give them a big ole smile, and tell them it was shot with this har’ 7 mag.

And then go grab “their” whiskey bottle and pour yourself a drink, and talk some more trash.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/11/18
280 or 280AI will always get my vote.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/11/18
Easy choice....7mm08 and 140AB's.

Thought you were a 120 NBT guy?

DF
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/12/18
Love those 120's, but that Accubond is my fave.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/12/18

[Linked Image]

P

The bearded fellow looks like Frank McGrath, “Cookie”, on Wagon Train.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/12/18
Love my 280’s. Love my 308’s. Don’t need a 7-08. Nothing against it.
Posted By: jwall Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/12/18
[Linked Image]

The bearded fellow looks like Frank McGrath, “Cookie”, on Wagon Train
-------------------------------------------------------------------

YEAH, he do ! grin grin
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/12/18
Am sometimes amazed this thread had gone on so long.

On the other hand, the longest "best cartridge" threads seem to be comparisons of very similar rounds.

If somebody really cares to compromise (apparently rare these days), they could "build" a 7x57 Ackley Improved on a medium-length action. That would change their lives!
grin

Loony ruminations can't be that surprising... wink

DF
Posted By: Bugger Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/12/18
I dislike short actions, and I have a few. I tend to shoot a lot and I will eventually burn out the barrel in most calibers under 375. With the some/many short actions the cartridge length is limited by the magazine length so with the 51mm and longer cartridges there's no way to chase the lead. With a short action, that means the accuracy fails sooner. If your 7mm-08 is on a Mauser action, that wouldn't be an issue and there's a couple of commercial actions that would work too.

The 280 is my one of my favorite cartridges. And although I have a 7mm-08 in a Tikka, there would be no question/hesitation for me, it would be the 280.

I didn't read where you mentioned what you're hunting in Texas. There's a few "exotic" game ranches in Texas, I understand, though I have not hunted on any. But other than that: several species of deer, wild hogs, pronghorn, coyotes and I suppose elk (I never hunted elk in Texas and do not know about same).

If you are a 20 rounds per year or less shooter, the barrel life is no big deal.
Posted By: 16bore Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/12/18

A 270 with 140 AB's bounces off.....
Originally Posted by 16bore

A 270 with 140 AB's bounces off.....

grin

For sure...

DF
As a life-long Texan who has hunted mostly whitetails in East, Coastal, and "South" Texas, I have a pair of .270's, as well as a pair of .30-06's - but my "favorite" Deer gun is a Savage 99 in .300 Savage - GREAT for whitetails and feral hogs!

Mike Holmes
Posted By: Teeder Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/12/18
If somebody really cares to compromise (apparently rare these days), they could "build" a 7x57 Ackley Improved on a medium-length action. That would change their lives!

Stirring the pot? grin
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/12/18
If you want the least recoil then the 7mm-08 is the way to go,I have three of them.

But the 280 shoots flatter because it is faster. Recently I chronographed two of my favorite factory loads. The Winchester 140 grain Ballistic Silver Tip load in 7mm-08 and the exact same bullet in 280.

The 280 load was a little over 200fps faster,but it was close enough to call it 200 fps. When you sight them both 1.5 inches high at 100 yards the 280 gives you about a 50 yard advantage in terms of point and shoot hunting. If you use a range finder and a multipoint reticle or turrets then it doesn't matter much.

But for open but broken country deer hunting when you don't have time to fiddle with a bunch of gadgets,the 280 is a little better choice.
Originally Posted by Teeder

Stirring the pot? grin

Nah...

No way... cool

DF
Posted By: 16bore Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/12/18
Since Texas is full of steers and queers, you'd think 270's would be the first choice....
A quick check of ammo sales in TX confirms your theory laugh
[Linked Image]
I’m the bearded fella you sunsabitches.

P
Posted By: jt402 Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/13/18
OP doesn't need a new rifle. He has a 6.5 Sweed and a .270, and he still Hand loads. He wants a new rifle, and that is OK.

Of the two, I would say 7-08. Really, I would recommend a .243 loaded with 85 TSX, 95, or 100 NP. These bullets put the .243 on steroids.

I understand age and recoil, as I'm bumping 81. Due to health issues, I'm on blood thinners and bruise easily. Also recoil is not kind to old bones.

Best wishes,

Jack
Originally Posted by jt402
Really, I would recommend a .243 loaded with 85 TSX, 95, or 100 NP. These bullets put the .243 on steroids.

Jack

A .243 with 8 twist and a 3" box would be the way I'd want it. Otherwise, I'd probably go with something else.

And I'd see what it would do with new powders and 100+ gr. bullets.

DF
I’m the bearded fella you sunsabitches.
P

laugh

Busted... shocked

DF
Posted By: Dogger Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/13/18
the 280, because i have one
Re: Jack's response ....Finally sumbody who has some insight in living with a lifetime 'scrip for Plavix to keep my 4 heart stents as "clean and clot free" as possible, and learning to put up with the probable "need" - that I ain't gonna do - for another trip the surgery shop to let the doc play with fine tuning my right shoulder ...again. Those fun and games with the people who wear scrubs for a living will take longer to recover form and get past than I have left above ground most likely.

So I'm re doing and thinning the shooters to something I can best use in my Last Years of being able to pull a trigger at fur, any fur from coyotes to WT's and any exotics that wander along here in Texas. Hogs,. as common as they are nowdays here at home, for me have always been targets of opportunity and not a primary target, but have never had shots at anything much bigger than 150+ lbs and all the calibers I'm looking at will suffice quite nicely.

Right now the "battery" will concentrate of calibers that also have cheap and common factory ammo for when I get past the need/desire to reload too, in the middle of the classic WT centric calibers from a 6.5 Something , 7x57/7-08/308 to 270's (just for old times sake).
Thanks All for the comments and insights
Ron
Couldn't help myself and bought a WMart VG 2 Select (what a misnomer name for a base grade rifle) 308 to play with, and a VG 2 Sporter in 243 - the very last Short Action Sporter in 4 counties and looking to trade it for a Sporter 308 or similar blue steel and wood stock. I'm lookin at these VG's as the everday shooter guns for a very small battery. 1st 308 I've bought since 1976 after we moved home from my corporate gypsy days....wish't I'd kept that SAKO Standad Grade as it was almost a one hole shooter with plain vanilla WW & Federal factory ammo.
Ron
Posted By: stxhunter Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/14/18
Posted By: Alex38 Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/14/18
Being that you want available factory Ammo, I’d take the 7mm08, even though I’m a big 280 fan and my favorite rifle is my 280. The 7mm08 had more factory ammo options, and is more easily found. In addition to the 7mm08, and also consider a 6.5 Creedmoor. Seems to be plenty of ammo around for them, and they will handle everything you’ve said you plan to do.
Posted By: 16bore Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/14/18
Factory ammo, 6.5CM is MAGA. 270 is more MAGA, but old skool MAGA....
Posted By: Teal Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/15/18
I admit to not owning a .280 but I do have a 7-08 and I did live in Texas for 3 years. FWIW - I can't think of anything that walks in TX I'd not shot with a 7-08 and a 120/140 TTSX that I would shoot with a 280 with a 120/140 TTSX (insert favorite bullet).

Comes down to the rifle, not the headstamp for me.

Actually - what wouldn't you shoot in any state with a 7-08 and a 140 TTSX? Griz? Muskox? Bison? - bout it I'd think.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/15/18
Originally Posted by 16bore
Factory ammo, 6.5CM is MAGA. 270 is more MAGA, but old skool MAGA....

6.5x55 - KAG

Nothing I would not hunt with a 6mmBR, or 243 in Texas.

Loading 140s at 2960 in a 7/08, never felt a need for pushing a 7mm faster.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/15/18
Originally Posted by 65BR

How are you doing that?
If you can get enough powder in the case, I think it can be done. Don't own one and don't want one, so I won't be verifying it. Note that this is with a 22-inch barrel plugged in.

Code
Cartridge          : 7 mm-08 Rem.
Bullet             : .284, 140, Nosler PART SP 16325
Useable Case Capaci: 48.679 grain H2O = 3.161 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 2.800 inch = 71.12 mm
Barrel Length      : 22.0 inch = 558.8 mm
Powder             : Alliant Reloder-16

Predicted data by increasing and decreasing the given charge,
incremented in steps of 0.401% of nominal charge.
CAUTION: Figures exceed maximum and minimum recommended loads !

Step    Fill. Charge   Vel.  Energy   Pmax   Pmuz  Prop.Burnt B_Time
 %       %    Grains   fps   ft.lbs    psi    psi      %        ms

-04.0  108    47.04   2850    2525   54151  10233     99.1    1.102  
-03.6  108    47.23   2862    2547   54935  10260     99.2    1.094  
-03.2  109    47.43   2875    2569   55732  10286     99.3    1.087  
-02.8  109    47.62   2887    2591   56543  10311     99.4    1.080  
-02.4  109    47.82   2899    2613   57365  10335     99.4    1.074  
-02.0  110    48.02   2911    2635   58189  10359     99.5    1.067  
-01.6  110    48.21   2924    2657   59054  10381     99.6    1.060  
-01.2  111    48.41   2936    2679   59920  10402     99.6    1.053  
-00.8  111    48.61   2948    2702   60799  10423     99.7    1.046  
-00.4  112    48.80   2960    2724   61694  10443     99.8    1.040  
+00.0  112    49.00   2973    2747   62598  10461     99.8    1.033  
+00.4  113    49.20   2985    2769   63528  10479     99.8    1.027  

Results caused by ± 10% powder lot-to-lot burning rate variation using nominal charge
Data for burning rate increased by 10% relative to nominal value:
+Ba    112    49.00   3101    2990   77242   9965    100.0    0.954  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
Data for burning rate decreased by 10% relative to nominal value:
-Ba    112    49.00   2782    2405   49942  10469     95.3    1.138
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/15/18
Thanks for the info, but I think I'd have to pass.
2850 kills elk at 350 yards. Ask me how I know.

P
I believe there was a guy from Texas who used to post here who killed all kinds of stuff with a Montana in 7mm08. Wonder what’s become of DJTex? I always enjoyed his posts, he was a good writer and story-teller.
Posted By: SKane Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/15/18
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
I believe there was a guy from Texas who used to post here who killed all kinds of stuff with a Montana in 7mm08. Wonder what’s become of DJTex? I always enjoyed his posts, he was a good writer and story-teller.

Marty, I wondered the same thing a few short months ago - he hadn't signed on since January 2016.
Good dude for sure.

Why would you say that? Asking because I really want to know.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/15/18
I had a Remington 700 Muntain Rifle in 7mm-08 for a while that got right around 2900 from the 140 Partition with 50.0 grains of of H4350, which is Hodgdon's listed max load with the 139 Hornady Interlock. They chronographed it at 2906 from a 24-inch barrel, but the Mountain Rifle's was 22 inches. I don't see why some 7-08's wouldn't get a little more with some 140-grain bullets.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/16/18
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
If the OP has been shooting a .270 for fifty some odd years I'm not sure there is much difference in recoil for similar rifles, similar bullet weights, loaded to the same velocity chambered for 7x57, 7-08, .280, .270, or for that matter, .284. Yes, some will do it with a bit more or less powder (which will have a minor effect on recoil), some have the ability to go a bit faster (with a bit more recoil), and some might handle

Agreed, in Texas the .270 is still king, but in the 7mm class going with a light weight thin barreled or short barreled 7-08 could be lighter rig than a .270 without giving up very much power. A .280 will be as heavy as a .270. which would not leave any reason to change.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/16/18
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Why would you say that? Asking because I really want to know.

I'm not into hot rodding mild recoiling cartridges personally. As I age I really like mild recoiling calibers that kill the crap outa stuff, and a 140 AB running 2800fps is exactly that, with moderate recoil. I don't run 120BT's at 3200 either.
Thanks Raider, I can appreciate that. I guess it's all about perspective, and each of us is unique in that regard.
Ron

7-08 based on ammunition availability. Both will work.
Posted By: 16bore Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/16/18
Originally Posted by Skatchewan
Ron

7-08 based on ammunition availability. Both will work.

7-08 is yesterday's 6.5CM.....and 6.5 CM has more available ammo.
Posted By: jwall Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/16/18
Ron

I'd buy a pair of 270s. 1 BLue, Walnut, 2. SS, Composite.

AMMO is everywhere and more than enuff variety of loads.

just me. btw, I'm 68, so.....
Posted By: 65BR Re: 280 or 7-08 for Texas ?? - 09/17/18
Originally Posted by 65BR

How are you doing that?

In MY rifles, 700s (BDL-SS and V) I was using RP cases, FIRE FORMED TO MY RIFLES, 45/Varget. IIRC it was about 1 grain over the original loads in the some older manuals. I would suggest anyone load per current manuals, and work up their own loads. Note, WW brass is about 1.5 gr more, and better IMHO so I would not suggest RP if you want the best in performance. Also, I was testing in summer temps of around 95 degrees. Never had any problems. Also, I used IMR 4064 which was a tad more accurate.

I was also using 139s as I used both the FB version and 140 BTs often. Both nearly one hole 5-shot groups (BT was a hair more accurate than 139) in the Varmint chopped at 21" as the BDL/SS, and in an HS Stock. The 139 SP IL was the original loading by Rem in their "140 CL" load over 760. I do know the 129 in 6.5 often gives speed like a 120, it seems they have a short per weight bearing surface....

In another rifle at that time, my 7/08 M70 carbine - syn/matte 20" ran 2850 using Varget and 139s. Don't recall speeds in my 22" FWT but it also shot well.

That said, I would imagine a load of a few less grains would give all the performance one needs with less strain on brass/gun. I feel 2800 is a good target speed in most common barrels (22-24").

So, in a nutshell, 1) consult a manual 2) work your loads up, in your firearm, and a Chrony is a great way to work up your loads 3) brass brand/Capacity matters, as does if you FL size or partial size as I typically do 3) primer choice can tweak performance 4) Temperature affects performance, 5) individual firearms vary due to chamber and bore variations. Many here know these things, but....

Since I did my R&D, newer powders have come along, likely matching or perhaps besting the Varget and IMR 4064 I used extensively. H4350, MR2000, and RL17 have been used successfully with 140s, RL15, CFE223, and others for 120s. In 120s I used 47/Varget, 3050-3100 was typical. 100s ironically with the same load shot 1/4MOA at 200 yds using the 700V, yes 100 Hornady HPs, same RP brass. 3 shot groups btw....and that was when the rifle was in a VLS stock, unbedded but the pressure point removed.

As always, work up loads in your firearms.
© 24hourcampfire