Home
Posted By: Magnum_Bob New old guns? - 03/08/19
Bored I guess, anyone buy any new old guns lately just to use something different? A guy I work with brought in a couple for me to sell/buy that his dad wanted to get rid of. His dad is moving to an assisted living deal and no guns allowed plus he just don't care about them anyway and neither do his sons. The rifle is a 30-06 M1917 Eddystone which was bubba'd into a sporter and the 12 ga is a Spiegel model 31-c with adj (grenade launcher type choke device). Don't care how much I get for them just wants them gone. What in the hell is wrong with the people in this country?
Posted By: Jericho Re: New old guns? - 03/09/19
Actually, I have been seeing more and more old guns for sale at gun shows, pawn shops, etc. and they aren't flying off the shelves. Other guys are mentioning that the older gentlemen that collected them are passing away and the newer generation are only interested in the latest tactical guns that hit the market.
Posted By: Hudge Re: New old guns? - 03/09/19
When I was home for R&R in Jan., I made the usual rounds at LGS and pawn shops. I didn’t notice a lot of older guns on the racks, but there were lots of ARs, AKs, and even the majority of shotguns were tactical styles. Maybe AK is a little different. Yes one of the gun stores had traditional old guns, but many were very pricey, and Athens guns usually were pretty beat. up.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: New old guns? - 03/09/19
Times change and tastes change. The younger (and a lot of not so younger) crowd is indeed becoming more enamored of tactical stuff and plastic/stainless steel tools- all in the name of efficiency over aesthetics. That's ok, as long as we/they keep shooting. Whether we like it or not, change is inevitable. I bet a lot of old whiskery guys bitched and moaned when flint locks were phased out in favor of percussion guns 180 years ago. No difference when compared to now.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: New old guns? - 03/09/19
There's a line in The Big Sky (the book) where one of the characters laughs at the caplocks, saying as long as he has powder, he can still shoot.

One LGS had a nice 99 and also a Marlin on consignment at nice prices for quite a while. They sell mostly Glocky stuff and ARs. I'm afraid to go in there for fear I'll weaken and scarf one up.
Posted By: RedAstrachan Re: New old guns? - 03/09/19
I guess I'm an old fart. When I walk into any gun shop and see predominately tactical, or tupperware with stainless, my eyes go to half mast, and I head for the door. I can never figure out those who head to the woods looking more like a soldier than a hunter.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: New old guns? - 03/09/19
A phenomenon I often ponder.
Model 12's brought as much money here in 1980 as now.
Same with 88's.

I'm 50. The only thing pre-64 means to me is hearing the older
folk talk about what writers wrote, and what I read. Knowing the gas issues,
I can do better for similar money.

I have a few pre-Garcia Sako's, most dont care anymore.

I laugh at the restored muscle car trend, which i think, is already cooling.

Cool cars, I love them. But if a young guy bought a restored car for $50k
5 years ago as an investment because the prices were going crazy. And he holds it
long enough, he may well be disappointed.

I remember how 55-57 Chevy crazy people were. Still cool, still a demand, but attention
gets refocused.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: New old guns? - 03/09/19
Originally Posted by RedAstrachan
I guess I'm an old fart. When I walk into any gun shop and see predominately tactical, or tupperware with stainless, my eyes go to half mast, and I head for the door. I can never figure out those who head to the woods looking more like a soldier than a hunter.

They all want to be Chris Kyle unless the deer have mortars and shoot back.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: New old guns? - 03/09/19
They might any day now. I can hear them drilling in the woods behind my house at night.
Posted By: vapodog Re: New old guns? - 03/09/19
I actually bought a (almost) new old gun recently.....I really like my Browning model 65 in .218 Bee. I have manufactured 350 rounds of ammo for it and sighted it to hit where it aims.

It's a piece of yesteryear that only old farts like me can appreciate.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: New old guns? - 03/09/19

I am always finding some new/old. Just recently a couple oddities, a Winchester low wall in 22 long and a Remington 14 1/2 in 38-40. Both are quite rare...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: New old guns? - 03/09/19
Didn't think you could even spell Remington.

Nice ones.
Posted By: deltakid Re: New old guns? - 03/09/19
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Originally Posted by RedAstrachan

They all want to be Chris Kyle unless the deer have mortars and shoot back.

+1
Posted By: stantdm Re: New old guns? - 03/09/19
Those two are very nice Shrapnel. Especially like the low wall.

We have a LGS that has mostly traditional style firearms and lately a lot of things like Ruger Americans. There are a lot of old guns that come up for sale at auctions and estate sales around here.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: New old guns? - 03/09/19
Our local gun shop owners tell me that virtually nothing is selling except plastic and ultra long range tactical stuff. Most won't even take a pump shotgun on consignment.

I was in one of the larger ones a week ago and there were two 1000 yard bench rest rifles there. I mentioned the .300 Holland & Holland and the guy behind the counter (in his early 30s) had never heard of it. Nor had he heard of the WImbleton matches from the era between the world wars. I really have become a dinosaur.
Posted By: Bbear Re: New old guns? - 03/09/19
Was asked this past week if I could tell a friend of mine whether it was worth his effort to stop at the Holland & Holland shop in Dallas. SMDH

I still pick up a few 'old' guns or 'old' cartridges now and then. Everyone is all raving about the 6.5 PRC pushing bullets to 2900 or so. Heck, my 256 Newton does that. (But, but, but...it's not 'new' or 'efficient' or whatever term you want to use) Old stuff still works.
Posted By: comerade Re: New old guns? - 03/10/19
New / old? Anything but the cheap , good shooters like we see these days- they double as a jack handle. I will pick an older one and then use my limited skills to improved it. Not interested in a 1 moa jack handle at all, rather have a 1.5 moa model 70, 1960 vintage.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: New old guns? - 03/10/19
Recently bought a very old Remington #4 Rolling Block in 45-70. It is so virgin that I don’t like handling it.
Posted By: wink_man Re: New old guns? - 03/10/19
Not real old, but I picked up 3 old(yet like new) in January of this year.

A 1965 vintage Remington 760 ADL pump in 30-06, a 1971 vintage Remington 760 BDL Deluxe in .270, and a 1968 vintage Remington 700 BDL in .270 with a 2x7 Denver Redfield sitting on it.

In each case, it appears each gun sat in a closet for years, seeing virtually no use. There was so much dust in the muzzle of one of them, you couldn't even see the rifling.

I know in 2 instances, the owner died, no one in the family either hunted or wanted them, just wanted them gone, and they were priced accordingly to the fact that the family just wanted them gone.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: New old guns? - 03/11/19
Thanks for the replies, At 64 I was thinking that I was the only one out there that likes old guns. Got to stop buying them I guess, the younger generation doesn't see the value in the classics or old working guns either. The M1917 had the stock butchered to a sporter, even bobbed off the butt then put on a slip on recoil pad. They made a y shaped bracket for the forend to hold the original sling swivel, ground off the rear sight ,drilled and tapped the receiver rings and put on Weaver bases( even got them at 12 o'clock), I cleaned it up and ran a solvent soaked patch thru the barrel, I kid you not it looked new. Couldn't resist it so I put some med height Millette rings on the weaver bases with an old Series 60 K-4 Weaver scope. It bore sighted ok. At sundown last nite the first shot hit 3" high and 1.5"R at 50 yds spun the vert dial down and windage to the left a little and shot another. elev good and a little more windage to the left. 3 shots went into the bull in 3/4" 5 shots total start to finish, load was some old handloads I made 20 years back with 4064 ,125 Sierras and GI brass. Sometimes good sh*t happens, I put everything away had a shot of Jack D and Honey then chased it with a PBR and ate left overs. The owner told me that 06 shot around corners and was junk. I take all the junk like that I can get. I think it will make a good truck gun and a guy can't have to many of those ,can he? MB
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: New old guns? - 03/11/19
My latest used-rifle purchase is an 1866 Springfield "trapdoor" .50-70. Picked it off the consignment rack at a Capital Sports & Western Wear in Helena, Montana, a first-year rifle, actually made in 1866.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: New old guns? - 03/11/19
Every rimfire and centerfire firearm I own is old and wore out.
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: New old guns? - 03/11/19
I resemble that remark!
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: New old guns? - 03/11/19
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Me too, as well their owner!

My sole concession to modernity is the AR .223 I built up 3 years ago, and then mainly to be Politically Incorrect.

I chase my tail trying to acquire the stuff I couldn't afford when I was a kid in the 60's (and still can't afford in a lot of cases). Given the choice between exploring the accuracy potential of a pre-war factory rifle or custom wildcat versus a brand new stainless/plastic Wonder Rifle, well, there is no choice. Give me the old one, please- not because it is "better" or more accurate or better suited to the rigors of hunting, but because it holds a certain undefinable mystique to me.
Posted By: pete53 Re: New old guns? - 03/11/19
last fall i purchased new to me a real clean Savage 99 - 284 win. with a clip and a Sako 7 mag. wood stock made in 1963 and this rifle was also very clean, also a Remington 870 trap that`s 99 % .
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: New old guns? - 03/11/19
Being a child of the 50's I count everything made then and since as not being "old, vintage, antique", rather as modern guns. I know, I know...
Posted By: papat Re: New old guns? - 03/11/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My latest used-rifle purchase is an 1866 Springfield "trapdoor" .50-70. Picked it off the consignment rack at a Capital Sports & Western Wear in Helena, Montana, a first-year rifle, actually made in 1866.

Extremely jealous. Great pick up John. My feelings are if it isn’t ancient, what good is it? Last couple weeks I’ve picked up a 99 in 300 sav. Early 50s vintage. A Remington 121 in decent shape. Unknown age til I get in hands. I can resist many things but a nice 22rf is getting harder and harder. Middle son and I went pig hunting the other day. He had to take the 140yr old trapdoor I gave him. Not all the younger ones have to be tacticool.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: New old guns? - 03/11/19
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

My sole concession to modernity is the AR .223 I built up 3 years ago, and then mainly to be Politically Incorrect.

I chase my tail trying to acquire the stuff I couldn't afford when I was a kid in the 60's (and still can't afford in a lot of cases). Given the choice between exploring the accuracy potential of a pre-war factory rifle or custom wildcat versus a brand new stainless/plastic Wonder Rifle, well, there is no choice. Give me the old one, please- not because it is "better" or more accurate or better suited to the rigors of hunting, but because it holds a certain undefinable mystique to me.

+10 that just about explains me too.MB
Posted By: Bbear Re: New old guns? - 03/12/19
Should have added in my previous comment that I have firearms made in; 1906, 1914, 1915, 1923, 1942, 1953, 1958 and then some newer one's. I do enjoy the look on some folk's face when I pull out one of the old one's at the range or when hunting and they ask 'What is that rifle?'.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: New old guns? - 03/12/19
My most recent gun purchase was a brand new gun that reminds me of old guns. Made of steel with a wood stock & forearm and it can only hold one round at a time. A Henry single shot in .308. Couldn't resist it. I have a soft spot for single shot break opens; as the first working gun I ever owned was a single shot break open 16 ga. shotgun that I still own. I've talked to other guys in my age bracket ( I just turned 69) and there seems to be a consensus among us old farts towards more traditional type stuff versus the latest and greatest techno - tactical wonder toys that are coming out.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: New old guns? - 03/12/19
+1 i also just turn and walk away from the new tactical stuff gun shops i'm not their target customer
Posted By: Loggah Re: New old guns? - 03/12/19
Well last weekend i picked up a "new" to me winchester 1894 rifle. The rifle is a 20" short rifle half octagon,half round barrel ,half magazine takedown made in sept.1898 in 30 wcf caliber. A 20" short rifle is very rare 22" and 24" were standard short rifle lengths. A fax from Cody verified all the options heres a few pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: New old guns? - 03/12/19
VERY nice!
Posted By: KnightHawk Re: New old guns? - 03/12/19
Originally Posted by Loggah
Well last weekend i picked up a "new" to me winchester 1894 rifle. The rifle is a 20" short rifle half octagon,half round barrel ,half magazine takedown made in sept.1898 in 30 wcf caliber. A 20" short rifle is very rare 22" and 24" were standard short rifle lengths. A fax from Cody verified all the options heres a few pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very nice indeed......

I used to collect Winchester take-downs, but sold all of the collector pieces to finance a business. Long and short of is I was a better Winchester collector than businessmen.. Should have stuck to collecting, it would have been cheaper and far more enjoyable.
A few months back I picked up a "94" full rifle, half round, half octagon with a smokeless site, button mag in 32 Special. Just a straight brown gun, good rifling and wood.
Posted By: KnightHawk Re: New old guns? - 03/12/19
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

This ^^^^^^

Yeah, Blue steel and lumber for me. I tried some of the black rifle stuff during the shortages along with some semi-auto pistols. I finely figured out it's just not for me. I cleaned house on that style. I'm also a wheel gun guy, so add that to the list: Blue steel, lumber and six shooters.
Posted By: Hook Re: New old guns? - 03/12/19
Guess I can join the crowd. An old guy in Alex City died and a LGS was handling his collection for the estate. I picked up a Model 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer (built in 1939) with a 4X Hensoldt scope attached with some slick and stout claw mounts. It is a real jewel and in immaculate shape except the scope is a little foggy. No way to tell, but I swear I think I have fired more rounds through it since I bought it than was fired in the 79 years before!

Then, about 3 months ago, I finally found my second Brno 22F. It was a necessity! Two of my kids were claiming my first one as inheritance. I just HAD to get a second one to prevent a fist fight at my funeral. They will each have one now AFTER I kick the bucket!
Posted By: wildfowl Re: New old guns? - 03/12/19
I have noticed that young folks like old guns if they are used in video games. The Call of Duty type games set in WWI or II apparently use a lot of different period guns and your folks will spend money on them.

Until there is a hit video game using the Savage 99 I hold little hope....
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: New old guns? - 03/12/19
KnightHawk,

One of my favorite "collecting" stories came from the late Jim Bashline, the well-known outdoor writer (or at least he was a few decades ago). Jim collected several kinds of rifles, as I found out when visiting him and his wife Sylvia (another writer, for years the game-cooking writers for Field & Stream) over 30 years ago at their home on the outskirts of State College, Pennsylvania.

Jim had a collection of every model/chambering variation of Ruger No. 1 made up to that time, but he also had a few very nice old Winchester lever-actions. He said he used to have more, and in fact collected them so avidly back that while on a trip one time, he phoned Sylvia to to telegraph him enough money for a bus ticket home. He'd traded the family car for four Winchester lever-actions, as I recall all 1886's in good condition. They later sold them and paid for their kid's college education....

Dunno what happened to the No. 1's after Jim passed away, way too young, at 63, but suspect they were part of Sylvia's retirement.
Posted By: moosemike Re: New old guns? - 03/13/19
I've read a lot of Jim Bashline's articles. He was a good writer.
Posted By: okie john Re: New old guns? - 03/13/19
I've noticed a lot of interesting older guns on the market lately. Their prices are definitely softening compared to before the recession.

Okie John
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: New old guns? - 03/13/19
I picked up a Husky FN .30/06 last Fall for $375. The beech stock is a bit rough, but the Lyman 4x is clear and dialed right in after I replaced the boogered-up mounts with Talley LWs. Fine shooter.

I also replaced the trigger spring so I could pull it with one hand.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: New old guns? - 03/13/19
75% of the rifles and shot guns I own are pre 1960, with several in the 30's or earlier
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: New old guns? - 03/13/19
You guys got me curious, so I went through my modest collection of centerfire rifles and "aged" them:

10% were made before 1900
20% were made from 1900 to WWII
20% from WWII to 1963 (the end year chosen because of the pre-'64 Model 70)
12% from 1963 to 2000
38% from 2000 on

So 50% were made in 1963 or earlier.

Didn't age my shotguns, but would guess the spread is similar, though at the moment don't own any made before 1900. My favorite shotgun, a Sauer 12-gauge SxS, was made shortly before WWII.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: New old guns? - 03/13/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
KnightHawk,

One of my favorite "collecting" stories came from the late Jim Bashline, the well-known outdoor writer (or at least he was a few decades ago). Jim collected several kinds of rifles, as I found out when visiting him and his wife Sylvia (another writer, for years the game-cooking writers for Field & Stream) over 30 years ago at their home on the outskirts of State College, Pennsylvania.

Jim had a collection of every model/chambering variation of Ruger No. 1 made up to that time, but he also had a few very nice old Winchester lever-actions. He said he used to have more, and in fact collected them so avidly back that while on a trip one time, he phoned Sylvia to to telegraph him enough money for a bus ticket home. He'd traded the family car for four Winchester lever-actions, as I recall all 1886's in good condition. They later sold them and paid for their kid's college education....

Dunno what happened to the No. 1's after Jim passed away, way too young, at 63, but suspect they were part of Sylvia's retirement.

Ah, man. I love to hear Jim Bashline stories. I made his acquaintance later in life through fly fishing. (I have a couple classic pattern Atlantic Salmon flies he tied for me displayed inside glass bell jars.) We crossed paths numerous times, usually in hotel bars where our talk invariably turned to guns and hunting- fueled by copious quantities of scotch. The man loved his scotch. (One memorable evening we were joined by Ernie Schwiebert- another scotch drinker- and ended up getting our happy butts kicked out by the bartender at 2:00AM because he wanted to go home to bed.) Jim sold me an Orvis split cane fly rod that'll likely go to my grave with me. I make a point to use it whenever I make it up to the Sinnamahoning Creek in Pennsylvania, one of his favorite trout streams.

He had a fondness for Savage 99's too, and gave me royal hell for cashing out most of my Dad's 99's. (Back then I had little regard for 99's, oh my.)
Posted By: KnightHawk Re: New old guns? - 03/13/19
Mule Deer,
Yeah the ones that got away. I also collected High Walls, sporting rifles and a couple Schuetzen style rifles, Four rifles come to mind that go beyond the old "what was I thinking" when I sold them, into the "that was stupid and you can't fix that".
One was a standard rifle with a #3 octagon barrel in 50 express. This rifle was unfired and in new condition.
Next was another standard rifle with the exception of a #4 barrel in 22 LR. It's only distinction was, other than the barrel was it was documented as being used in the Winchester ammunition department for testing.
Third was another standard rifle in in 38-55 with a #2 round barrel and an octagon frame, brown rifle.
4th was a standard rifle in 40-90 Sharps Straight.
These 1885's were just pretty much standard rifles, but, very unique. I had 1885 deluxe pistol grip Sporting rifles with Swiss butt plate and so on.
Two others, as I said I was into take-downs, one was a Model 53 pistol grip deluxe take-down rifle in 44-40 which came with a Winchester sling and hook swivels, and packaged in a Winchester take-down soft leather case. All in used but great shape.
And the 2nd of these was one I never owned but should have. I was at a Gun Show in Vegas at the Sahara back in the late 80's and was amazed at the early Winchesters. 66's, Volcanic's, 73's, well you get the idea. But my focus was take-down rifles. To easy to get distracted. Came across one old bird that had a table with 4 or 5 nice early Winchesters, but, one just jumped out at me instantly. He had a 1886 deluxe straight stock, looked like triple A wood checkered in 45-90 take-down. First off I just happened to be passing through and was unaware that there was a gun show. Also it was a time in my like where I had change in my pocket and not much to fold. Not only that but, this was a high dollar show, and was feeling kind of, say, shy. The rifle was priced fairly at $1,300, it had seen a fair amount of use, but not abuse. Frankly a beautiful rifle. Well I had to pass on the rifle due to NSF. But I came back the last day of the show and went back and found the rifle was gone. In talking to the Gentlemen I expressed my disappointment. Before I came back I had managed to get some cash 4 or 5 hundred, but, that was it. Anyway the Gentlemen got instantly agitated saying how he would have sold it to me with a down payment and pay the balance later, rather then sell it to the azz that did buy it. Said the guy was just a re-seller/broker anyway, besides he stated he did not like the guy on general principles. Oh well, the one that got away, that shouldn't have.
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: New old guns? - 03/13/19
Wow, what a great thread! And so much to comment on.

Someone wrote a comment on a thread here that I swore I was going to steal for a signature line. It was something like "There are an awful lot of people lately compelled to feed their inner sniper only take an 88 yard shot across a big patch of clover." The original author may have said it with a bit better turn of phrase, but I got close. I love that line.

Long range shooting with the new stuff is fun and any trigger time is good. But people should remember that shots at un-wounded game should be shots that you realistically expect to make. I don't know what the percentage number should be, but at least 95%? Maybe more. Interestingly, a military sniper can often "ethically" take shots we shouldn't take at game. It is "OK" if the sniper only wounds or hits with "insufficent" downrange energy.

It is true that many things: guns, cars, audio gear, to name a few, experience a sort of value curve. It can be explained exactly as some others have mentioned. Values are highest when people get old enough to afford the things they always wanted but could not afford when they were younger. The values drop as these people get older and begin to die. There will always be some market, as there will always be some younger people coming up that appreciate whatever the objects are, but the market undoubtedly softens. I have some guns and at least one car (I am the original owner) that I will very probably doggedly hang onto far too long.

I am old enough now, 65, that I see things I used to consider for "everyday use" become "too valuable" for that. Model 61 and 9422 Winchesters come to mind. I used to use each as my "go to" .22, first the 61 that got too valuable, so the 9422 replaced it. Then guess what happened? I use a Ruger 10/22 for the purpose now. I think I finally hit one I can continue to "safely" use everyday. Truth is, neither of the Winchesters worked well with a scope. But now I wish I hadn't installed those QD swivel bases that made so much sense when they were my everyday rifles . . .

With guns, I am pretty darn "equal opportunity" and keep a foot in both camps. I have "tools" and I have nice things I appreciate more. If you carry concealed, you don't need a $1000 tricked out pistol to be well armed. But I will always have a nice enough 1911 or two, and good but old revolvers are very cool. I hate dinging up nice guns. So I hunt better with a stainless and glass rifle when I can pay attention to the hunting and not every little thing that might ding the gun. But on "easy" days, the vintage blue and wood comes forth. I think there is a reason you see so many nice shotguns on "gentlemanly, refine" quail hunts, but not so many in the duck blind or layout pits in goose fields!

Again, great thread. And loggah, that '94 is SWEET!
Posted By: Mathsr Re: New old guns? - 03/18/19
Great thread. I would rather have an old rifle with walnut and blued steel than any stainless and plastic rifle built. My go to hunting rifles now are a custom Mexican Mauser in 7mm Mauser and a Husqvarna 458 mannlicher in 243 Winchester. I have passed on to my boys the stainless and plastic rifles that will all shoot sub minute of angle groups and I don't miss them. My Mauser and My Husqvarna will both shoot between an inch and a inch and a half most all the time and that seems to be good enough.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last rifle bought was a Marlin SC in 35 Remington. Bubba had worked his magic on straightening out the pistol grip and slimming down the fore end. I knew it wasn't original when I bought it and since it had already been modified, I didn't have to mess up an original Marlin SC to get what I think is the perfect 35 Remington.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: szihn Re: New old guns? - 03/18/19
I have a Lee 303 made on an Irish action made in 1900.
A 1903 Breda Mannlicher 6.5X54 I made from an action which was made in the 20s.
Several of my Mausers are made on actions made in the 20 and 30s. In fact the newest one was made in 1968, an InnerArms Mark X.
I have 2 Mosin Nagants, made in 1927 and 1939s.
A 1942 M1 Garand
A Savage M-99 made in 1949
A Marlin 336 made in the mid 60s

My Dad and Uncle both bought Winchester 22s with their mustering-out pay at the end of WW2 and I have both of those rifles too, as well as my Uncle's M37 410 Winchester shotgun he got before WW2, in 1937.
My wife have a Winchester M75 Target 22, made in the 30s. She also owns a Mauser Broomhandle pistol made in 1917 which is unfired. (and for sale)
I have a Colt 1911 made in 1916.
I think that's all the "old ones" ---------------that I can think of right now. anyway.

I have owned a few guns made before 1900 but I no longer own any of them.
I Sold or traded them all.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: New old guns? - 03/18/19

jeez........my nipples just got hard lookin' at that Marlin............

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tikkanut Re: New old guns? - 03/18/19

finally pickin' up my two 'new' (to me) Marlins this week.....

'78 39 Mountie.........

'71 336 35 Rem..........
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: New old guns? - 03/19/19
Cool thread!!!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: New old guns? - 03/19/19
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Cool thread!!!

Yeah it is, I thank all the responders for their time and damn nice pics which reminded me that I don't yet have all the nice old guns I want to try. The butt was cut on the M1917 but the other day the son came up with the original steel trap doored butt plate for it. It's bent but can be straightened, the bottom screw hole was reamed out but I will weld it up and re drill it. I will restore it back to the original length of pull. The gun has been modified to far to ever take it back to original. Doesn't mean a guy still can't enjoy it for what it is. The son actually said to me "it's an old junky military rifle" in 30-06. Had to bite my tongue, I guess some people just don't know that before a rifle is accepted for military use it sees some of the most exhaustive testing ever. I was an 03/03A3 junkie long before my first Enfield P17. I'm not very new either and not on the junk pile yet, think I'll make some meat next fall with it. MB
Posted By: jorgeI Re: New old guns? - 03/20/19
My "new old gun" I recently picked up. Plan to use it this year for deer & hogs.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Remington40x Re: New old guns? - 03/20/19
Last one I bought was a Remington Model 141 in .32 Remington. Came with the peep sight. No factory .32 Remington loads available, but the .30 Remington brass works fine and there are still 170 grain .321 diameter bullets. Puts 5 in a 2 inch group at 100 and it's gone deer hunting, although Bambi didn't cooperate by appearing. Will go again this fall.
Posted By: hanco Re: New old guns? - 03/20/19
My only old rifle is an old 1873. I have a few older Sakos, I discovered 99’s recently, got a few of them.
I have an old Iver Henriksen rifle also. I have a few Kleinguenther rifles too.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://a64.tinypic.com/5kn7y8.jpg[/img]

Posted By: CowboyTim Re: New old guns? - 03/20/19
Reminds me, still have to decide what to use for a stock on the latest 8x57 project...leaning toward a Bavarian style with a hogsback and a schnabel, similar to a CZ "Lux".
Posted By: Northern_Jim Re: New old guns? - 03/20/19
This is my newest old gun, a 1976 T.C. Seneca .45 cal. with all the original paperwork & everything needed to shoot it but the powder.
[Linked Image]

Remington 141 .35 Rem. Has a Bishop buttstock & original Marbles tang sight
[Linked Image]

Marlin 336a Waffle top 1950 .35 Rem.
[Linked Image]

Savage 99 1950 .300 Savage Scope is a Ted Williams signature Sears (Weaver) 4x Correct me if I am wrong?
[Linked Image]
Sorry for the poor quality pic's
Posted By: Remington40x Re: New old guns? - 03/20/19
That's a nice 141. That Marble's tang sight is probably worth $125 all by itself.
Posted By: 44mc Re: New old guns? - 03/20/19
northern jim what is the scope mount on the 99?

Redfield I believe
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: New old guns? - 03/20/19
Nice guns Jim, got a Seneca just like that in 36 cal. The rest of them make a guy want to get out his plaid hunting coat. MB
Posted By: hanco Re: New old guns? - 03/20/19
Turkey season starts here March 30. I need to sit in bow stand, see if I can kill a turkey, pig, or an aoudad with the old 38-40. It was made in 1884.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Loggah Re: New old guns? - 03/20/19
Nice old "73" it will kill what you hit with it.
Posted By: moosemike Re: New old guns? - 03/21/19
Originally Posted by hanco
Turkey season starts here March 30. I need to sit in bow stand, see if I can kill a turkey, pig, or an aoudad with the old 38-40. It was made in 1884.

[Linked Image]

Awesome. I just got a 38-40 made in 1903. I just ordered 200 rounds off of Gunbroker and plan to hunt with it this Fall.
Posted By: Northern_Jim Re: New old guns? - 03/21/19
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Nice guns Jim, got a Seneca just like that in 36 cal. The rest of them make a guy want to get out his plaid hunting coat. MB

Seems like all the Senecas had real nice wood. Wouldn't mind having one in 36 cal. also, love to see a pic if you have it.
Yes, the old guns take me back to my first times in deer camp. Lots of pumps & lever guns and red wool.

Hope to see more posts here.
Posted By: Bearschlayerx2 Re: New old guns? - 03/21/19
I have been looking for a 243 for my daughter to hunt deer with. Not really for anything in particular. Went to a gun auction March 2nd. Picked up a Remington 788 with a beautiful wood stock on it for about the same price as a Ruger American.Had a Kassnar scope on it that I replaced with a Swift Premier 3-9.Also picked up a really nice Squires Bingham 22 for $70. Put a Jap Tasco scope on it as soon as I got home. Took em both to the range this past Monday. Had the 22 cutting holes at 25 yards with cheap Remington Thunderbolts. Had the 243 under an inch at 100 yards with Federal blue box 100 grain ammo. Gotta love walnut and steel.
Posted By: Hook Re: New old guns? - 03/22/19
My 1903 M-S I got a year ago. It made meat this last season:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My new Brno 22F I got in December. Was able to scope it, work up reloads, and get it in the woods a couple of times this last season, but no deer offered themselves up:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jonesmd4 Re: New old guns? - 03/25/19
I like my rifles with blued steel and wood stocks. I do have an AR I don't shoot much just because Obama was such a good gun salesman. Most of my rifles are from the 20's through the 80's. Levers are my main weakness.

Mike
Posted By: Seafire Re: New old guns? - 04/03/19
My last purchase was a Remington Model 30, with a new barrel on it...
but it was not finished chambered....need to get that done..

6mm barrel on it, and the bolt has been finished off into a magnum..

I'm thinking the intent was to make the 30S into a 6mm WSM....

Great wood, nice looking rifle...$275.00

I'm a sucker for a M1917 Enfield, sporterized or not.

Lyman sites on this one...
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: New old guns? - 04/03/19
I like old lever guns, mostly Savages. Have an AR put together by our friend deerstalker, and it sits in the bedroom for intruders, otherwise, it'll never get fired. If I could have only one rifle, it would be some form of Savage lever action.

My latest 1899 was made in 1914 for the defense of Canada while all her young troops were fighting overseas. Called the Montreal Home Guard it was used by the folks that volunteered to watch vulnerable places like bridges. Each rifle has a rack number and usually the volunteers name on them. About 800 were made, fewer than that survive today. 303 Savage cartridge rather than 303 British because the cost to retool to the Brit cartridge (and probably the time delay) was too great. It's got to go thru an importer before I get my grubby little hands on it but it's on the way. Should make it here in 2-3 months.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: New old guns? - 04/03/19
Picked up a new to me 99 F. 308 yesterday

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: shrapnel Re: New old guns? - 04/03/19

I got a couple this weekend...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: T_O_M Re: New old guns? - 04/03/19
I stumbled across a late 80s / early 90s vintage Winchester 94 SRC trapper in .30-30 a few days ago and it is making it's way home to me now. I paid "too much" but it is what I want, so .. it is what I want. Rear sight comes off, williams receiver goes on, and it will be the spittin' image of the rifle that rode behind my truck seat for some years after I finished college. Gonna be fun.

Tom
Posted By: comerade Re: New old guns? - 04/03/19
Myself, if all that were available were tactical, economy and dials and knobs of today I would lose interest.
I chose firearms of my youth- or before. If it has hand checkering, even better. Who would of think of painting a rifle stock , anyways?
Lever actions intrigue me more than the rest...just me
Posted By: Mathsr Re: New old guns? - 04/04/19
I'm a real sucker for a good 308 and this Sako L-579 really grabbed my attention Monday. I successfully fought off the urge to buy it though. Tuesday I wasn't so successful. I had an offer to buy the scope that came with the rifle which made the cost of the rifle too ridiculous to pass up. It's a pre Garcia Sako in good shape and should make a great shooter. I have a Sako peep sight I'm going to stick on it and see how it does as an Iron sight deer rifle. Since it was made in 1971 or 1972, it's my newest old rifle.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Seafire Re: New old guns? - 04/04/19
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I like old lever guns, mostly Savages. Have an AR put together by our friend deerstalker, and it sits in the bedroom for intruders, otherwise, it'll never get fired. If I could have only one rifle, it would be some form of Savage lever action.

My latest 1899 was made in 1914 for the defense of Canada while all her young troops were fighting overseas. Called the Montreal Home Guard it was used by the folks that volunteered to watch vulnerable places like bridges. Each rifle has a rack number and usually the volunteers name on them. About 800 were made, fewer than that survive today. 303 Savage cartridge rather than 303 British because the cost to retool to the Brit cartridge (and probably the time delay) was too great. It's got to go thru an importer before I get my grubby little hands on it but it's on the way. Should make it here in 2-3 months.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Roy,

I sure would enjoy seeing that one, when it shows up down this way....

what a great history to the rifle....
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: New old guns? - 04/04/19
Originally Posted by Seafire

Roy,

I sure would enjoy seeing that one, when it shows up down this way....

what a great history to the rifle....

Let's get together and talk guns when it gets here.
Posted By: pete53 Re: New old guns? - 04/04/19
Roy that is a very nice old 99 you got coming ! great find,Pete53
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: New old guns? - 04/04/19
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I stumbled across a late 80s / early 90s vintage Winchester 94 SRC trapper in .30-30 a few days ago and it is making it's way home to me now. I paid "too much" but it is what I want, so .. it is what I want. Rear sight comes off, williams receiver goes on, and it will be the spittin' image of the rifle that rode behind my truck seat for some years after I finished college. Gonna be fun.

Tom

"Want" is my price guide.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: New old guns? - 04/04/19
Good luck with that peep. They're really nice, but I was unable to use the one that came with a .243 because (apparently) my head's too fat to get down on the stock properly. Sold it on GB for $90, IIRC.
Posted By: shaman Re: New old guns? - 04/04/19
[Linked Image]

Here is a Marlin 336 that I scored off Gunbroker over the winter. It will probably end up as a donor for a 38-55 project. I like the stock. The forearm is going to take work. They both have a slapdash poly finish on them that will have to be stripped. I'll take off the recoil pad and put it back as close as original as I can.

I'm trying to decide what to with the metal. I may just leave it as is. It was a rusted wreck at some point in its career, and then someone cleaned it up. It came from a pawnbroker in Miami FL. Someone must have put it in a closet and let it go.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: New old guns? - 04/04/19
I recently picked up two Mod 700 Classics. One is a 1980 .270 and the other is a 1987 .338 win Mag. I just had the .270 pillar bedded, floated, Tubbs Speedlock added and a Trigger Tech Trigger put on. I'm having the same thing done, plus a Limbsaver added, to the .338 by a local guy ( I had a credit with him :))
Both have iron sights. I want to get them both shooting like I want while I save my coins for a couple good hunts next year!
Posted By: Mathsr Re: New old guns? - 04/04/19
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Good luck with that peep. They're really nice, but I was unable to use the one that came with a .243 because (apparently) my head's too fat to get down on the stock properly. Sold it on GB for $90, IIRC.

Looks like it is going to need a higher front sight for the peep to work. Probably not worth the trouble. I'll just scope it. Unless there is really good light, my eyes wont let me do much iron sight shooting anymore anyway.
Posted By: sandcritter Re: New old guns? - 04/04/19
A few, am afraid. Gophers beware!

Win M52, 1922 vintage
Marlin 27S, 25wcf. Age unsure, probably 1920’s
Win 1892, 32wcf, 1896. Solid!
Win 1885 low wall, 22lr (relined), 1888 manuf.
Anschutz 1433, 22 hornet, 1963 (ok, not so old)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KnightHawk Re: New old guns? - 04/04/19
Originally Posted by comerade
Myself, if all that were available were tactical, economy and dials and knobs of today I would lose interest.
I chose firearms of my youth- or before. If it has hand checkering, even better. Who would of think of painting a rifle stock , anyways?
Lever actions intrigue me more than the rest...just me

Yeah, this ^^^^^

Blue steel and lumber
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: New old guns? - 04/05/19
Haven't bought any lately, but the old stuff is my favorites.
1906 Marlin '94 25-20
[Linked Image]
This one anymore lives on cast bullets. I'm running the NOE 260283 as a plain based mold over 9.3 gr 4198 for just under 1300 fps. Mild load for the old rifle, and very accurate.

1953 Savage 99R 250-3000 along with cheesy's EG 300 from the same era
[Linked Image]
Took a doe with the 87 Hot Core again this year.

1959 JC Higgins 51-L 308. High Standard barreled Husky HVA action sold by Sears
[Linked Image]
This one is currently working out as a cast bullet shooter since I don't have that many uses for 165 partitions. I've got 180 gr bullets from a NOE clone of the Saeco #315 design doing very well up to around 2450 fps so far.
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: New old guns? - 04/05/19
My most recent add, a 1937 Savage Model 99G in 303 Savage.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: New old guns? - 04/05/19
There are some damn fine beautiful new old guns here. My most recent is a BSA model E (factory sporterized m1917) that I threw in a left hand stock. Seems to be a great shooter after glass bedding and proper scope and scope installed. Wearing a cheap $131.00 (new) Burris FFII 3-9x40 w/ballistic plex reticle:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: KnightHawk Re: New old guns? - 04/08/19
KeithNyst' Nice take-down, and caliber
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: New old guns? - 04/08/19
Did the tacticool thing '69-'72 and pretty much got that out of my system. Wood and walnut works.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: New old guns? - 04/08/19

I just got this way "beyond cool" old rifle, an original 1866 SRC..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Northern_Jim Re: New old guns? - 04/08/19
I just got this way "beyond cool" old rifle, an original 1866 SRC..

I agree, way beyond cool.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: New old guns? - 04/08/19
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

a) I got a 1920 Colt pre woodsman in box when it was found in an old bank vault that is minty.

b) I got a 1848 pattern Colt 31 cal pocket revolver made in the 1850's that was a glob of rust with missing parts.

The minty pistol is too nice to shoot. It is just a safe queen.

The glob of rust I worked on for a while. I found a hand, springs, and other parts. The parts were all old aftermarket parts that needed fitting. I drilled the frame to replace a broken pin. I timed the revolver. It is ready to shoot.

I got more entertainment from the glob of rust than from the safe queen.

Posted By: Hook Re: New old guns? - 04/09/19
Damn Shrap, pls give more detail on that 1866!
Posted By: shrapnel Re: New old guns? - 04/09/19
Originally Posted by Hook
Damn Shrap, pls give more detail on that 1866!

About 6 years ago I was at a gun show with some of my Winchesters on display and a guy came up and asked if I could evaluate some of his guns he was considering selling. I told him I would and he actually came back with a bunch of old Winchesters, Sharps and other 19th century long guns.

He told me he was considering the sale of these guns in an effort to return the ranch he grew up on as a kid. We stayed in touch for the next few years and he finally told me that he was prepared to sell a couple. I looked at this carbine and an original Henry that was made in 1861.

He brought them to my house last week and we couldn’t put a price on the Henry, but he said he would sell the 1866. I bought it and now wait to see what he decides about the Henry...
Posted By: Bbear Re: New old guns? - 04/09/19
Couple of my older guns

Winchester 94 in 30 WCF 22" octagonal, it was my Grandfather's rifle. Manufactured in 1906.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Winchester model '97 made in 1914. Still use this one during turkey season. This too, was my Grandfather's.

[Linked Image]

One of my 'bucket list' guns - Newton 1st model in 256 Newton. It was D&T by a previous owner.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I haven't taken pictures of it yet, but I have a 1950 Remington 513T with Redfield peep.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: New old guns? - 04/10/19

This is next on my list to get...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: New old guns? - 04/10/19
Awesome stuff !! Thanks for the show..
Posted By: kellory Re: New old guns? - 04/10/19
Wow. You have good taste in guns, sir.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: New old guns? - 04/11/19
Originally Posted by sandcritter
A few, am afraid. Gophers beware!

Win M52, 1922 vintage
Marlin 27S, 25wcf. Age unsure, probably 1920’s
Win 1892, 32wcf, 1896. Solid!
Win 1885 low wall, 22lr (relined), 1888 manuf.
Anschutz 1433, 22 hornet, 1963 (ok, not so old)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sandcritter, nice guns if you don't mind what is the approximate value of a M52 Win in your first photo? looking at 1 right now in the #400xx range ?1937?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: New old guns? - 04/11/19
Mentioned this rifle earlier, but now here's a photo:

[Linked Image]

It's a .50-70 Springfield 1866, one of the "trapdoor" conversions of the .58 caliber muzzleloader Springfield used by the U.S military. They had zillions of them on hand after the War Between The States, so decided to convert them to cartridge rifles. The Allin conversion was first used with a .58 caliber rimfire round, which did not prove satisfactory. So the barrels were relined and rifled to .50 caliber, and chambered to the .50-70 centerfire round. That was the standard U.S. military round until 1873, when an "improved" version of the trapdoor Springfield was introduced, with a separate action, rather than a conversion of the muzzleloading rifle.

This rifle is a little worn on the outside, but the bore is shiny. Am in the early stages of handloading, partly because opportunity for actual shooting has pretty much sucked for a long time here in Montana. But will report later.
Posted By: Cascade Re: New old guns? - 04/11/19
Looking forward to your range report with that wonderful old rifle John.

I haven't bought a "new" old rifle in a long time. Have a few that are certainly old though:

22 Savage Hi-Power, Savage 99 (1913 manufacture from what I can find)

30-06 Model of 1917, sporterized back in the late 1940's, early 1950's, before my arrival

11.7mm Danish Rolling Block - my goodness this thing is in great shape! It's what, 140 years old or so?

Love these old rifles, but honestly I don't use 'em much.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: sandcritter Re: New old guns? - 04/11/19
Bbear, gotta admit, being your grandfather’s rifle on top of being a really nice rifle, is pretty darn cool. Congrats.
Posted By: sandcritter Re: New old guns? - 04/11/19
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Sandcritter, nice guns if you don't mind what is the approximate value of a M52 Win in your first photo? looking at 1 right now in the #400xx range ?1937?

Am not an authority on them, but will pm what can contribute. Thanks.
Posted By: RGK Re: New old guns? - 04/12/19
I'm also hooked on the older ones.

336SC (.30-30) with a Leupold 3X:
[Linked Image]

1952 Win 70 in .270, Lyman 4x:
[Linked Image]

870TC. My trap-shooting buddy:
[Linked Image]

Really nice Win 92 I found sitting forgotten behind a bedroom door in an old farmhouse. Perfect bore, after the dust was pushed out:
[Linked Image]

Ithaca Supreme grade 12 ga, purchased in a pawn shop for $450.00:
[Linked Image]

WWII 1903A1 rebuild, with an O'hare micrometer. Mint '44 High Standard barrel. A CMP purchase in the '90's:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cascade Re: New old guns? - 04/12/19
RGK - those are really nice!

Thanks
Posted By: bluefish Re: New old guns? - 04/12/19
I have two pristine Husky 146s and the actions are as smooth as a polished ruby.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: New old guns? - 04/12/19
Originally Posted by bluefish
I have two pristine Husky 146s and the actions are as smooth as a polished ruby.

Aren’t they nice! I rechambered one of mine to 9.3 x 62.

One of my favorite pics of that rifle. A memorable hunt!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Joe Re: New old guns? - 04/12/19
kaywoodie, that's one of my favorite pic too!
© 24hourcampfire