-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I picked up a Husky FN .30/06 last Fall for $375. The beech stock is a bit rough, but the Lyman 4x is clear and dialed right in after I replaced the boogered-up mounts with Talley LWs. Fine shooter.

I also replaced the trigger spring so I could pull it with one hand.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
75% of the rifles and shot guns I own are pre 1960, with several in the 30's or earlier

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You guys got me curious, so I went through my modest collection of centerfire rifles and "aged" them:

10% were made before 1900
20% were made from 1900 to WWII
20% from WWII to 1963 (the end year chosen because of the pre-'64 Model 70)
12% from 1963 to 2000
38% from 2000 on

So 50% were made in 1963 or earlier.

Didn't age my shotguns, but would guess the spread is similar, though at the moment don't own any made before 1900. My favorite shotgun, a Sauer 12-gauge SxS, was made shortly before WWII.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
KnightHawk,

One of my favorite "collecting" stories came from the late Jim Bashline, the well-known outdoor writer (or at least he was a few decades ago). Jim collected several kinds of rifles, as I found out when visiting him and his wife Sylvia (another writer, for years the game-cooking writers for Field & Stream) over 30 years ago at their home on the outskirts of State College, Pennsylvania.

Jim had a collection of every model/chambering variation of Ruger No. 1 made up to that time, but he also had a few very nice old Winchester lever-actions. He said he used to have more, and in fact collected them so avidly back that while on a trip one time, he phoned Sylvia to to telegraph him enough money for a bus ticket home. He'd traded the family car for four Winchester lever-actions, as I recall all 1886's in good condition. They later sold them and paid for their kid's college education....

Dunno what happened to the No. 1's after Jim passed away, way too young, at 63, but suspect they were part of Sylvia's retirement.

Ah, man. I love to hear Jim Bashline stories. I made his acquaintance later in life through fly fishing. (I have a couple classic pattern Atlantic Salmon flies he tied for me displayed inside glass bell jars.) We crossed paths numerous times, usually in hotel bars where our talk invariably turned to guns and hunting- fueled by copious quantities of scotch. The man loved his scotch. (One memorable evening we were joined by Ernie Schwiebert- another scotch drinker- and ended up getting our happy butts kicked out by the bartender at 2:00AM because he wanted to go home to bed.) Jim sold me an Orvis split cane fly rod that'll likely go to my grave with me. I make a point to use it whenever I make it up to the Sinnamahoning Creek in Pennsylvania, one of his favorite trout streams.

He had a fondness for Savage 99's too, and gave me royal hell for cashing out most of my Dad's 99's. (Back then I had little regard for 99's, oh my.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mule Deer,
Yeah the ones that got away. I also collected High Walls, sporting rifles and a couple Schuetzen style rifles, Four rifles come to mind that go beyond the old "what was I thinking" when I sold them, into the "that was stupid and you can't fix that".
One was a standard rifle with a #3 octagon barrel in 50 express. This rifle was unfired and in new condition.
Next was another standard rifle with the exception of a #4 barrel in 22 LR. It's only distinction was, other than the barrel was it was documented as being used in the Winchester ammunition department for testing.
Third was another standard rifle in in 38-55 with a #2 round barrel and an octagon frame, brown rifle.
4th was a standard rifle in 40-90 Sharps Straight.
These 1885's were just pretty much standard rifles, but, very unique. I had 1885 deluxe pistol grip Sporting rifles with Swiss butt plate and so on.
Two others, as I said I was into take-downs, one was a Model 53 pistol grip deluxe take-down rifle in 44-40 which came with a Winchester sling and hook swivels, and packaged in a Winchester take-down soft leather case. All in used but great shape.
And the 2nd of these was one I never owned but should have. I was at a Gun Show in Vegas at the Sahara back in the late 80's and was amazed at the early Winchesters. 66's, Volcanic's, 73's, well you get the idea. But my focus was take-down rifles. To easy to get distracted. Came across one old bird that had a table with 4 or 5 nice early Winchesters, but, one just jumped out at me instantly. He had a 1886 deluxe straight stock, looked like triple A wood checkered in 45-90 take-down. First off I just happened to be passing through and was unaware that there was a gun show. Also it was a time in my like where I had change in my pocket and not much to fold. Not only that but, this was a high dollar show, and was feeling kind of, say, shy. The rifle was priced fairly at $1,300, it had seen a fair amount of use, but not abuse. Frankly a beautiful rifle. Well I had to pass on the rifle due to NSF. But I came back the last day of the show and went back and found the rifle was gone. In talking to the Gentlemen I expressed my disappointment. Before I came back I had managed to get some cash 4 or 5 hundred, but, that was it. Anyway the Gentlemen got instantly agitated saying how he would have sold it to me with a down payment and pay the balance later, rather then sell it to the azz that did buy it. Said the guy was just a re-seller/broker anyway, besides he stated he did not like the guy on general principles. Oh well, the one that got away, that shouldn't have.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Wow, what a great thread! And so much to comment on.

Someone wrote a comment on a thread here that I swore I was going to steal for a signature line. It was something like "There are an awful lot of people lately compelled to feed their inner sniper only take an 88 yard shot across a big patch of clover." The original author may have said it with a bit better turn of phrase, but I got close. I love that line.

Long range shooting with the new stuff is fun and any trigger time is good. But people should remember that shots at un-wounded game should be shots that you realistically expect to make. I don't know what the percentage number should be, but at least 95%? Maybe more. Interestingly, a military sniper can often "ethically" take shots we shouldn't take at game. It is "OK" if the sniper only wounds or hits with "insufficent" downrange energy.

It is true that many things: guns, cars, audio gear, to name a few, experience a sort of value curve. It can be explained exactly as some others have mentioned. Values are highest when people get old enough to afford the things they always wanted but could not afford when they were younger. The values drop as these people get older and begin to die. There will always be some market, as there will always be some younger people coming up that appreciate whatever the objects are, but the market undoubtedly softens. I have some guns and at least one car (I am the original owner) that I will very probably doggedly hang onto far too long.

I am old enough now, 65, that I see things I used to consider for "everyday use" become "too valuable" for that. Model 61 and 9422 Winchesters come to mind. I used to use each as my "go to" .22, first the 61 that got too valuable, so the 9422 replaced it. Then guess what happened? I use a Ruger 10/22 for the purpose now. I think I finally hit one I can continue to "safely" use everyday. Truth is, neither of the Winchesters worked well with a scope. But now I wish I hadn't installed those QD swivel bases that made so much sense when they were my everyday rifles . . .

With guns, I am pretty darn "equal opportunity" and keep a foot in both camps. I have "tools" and I have nice things I appreciate more. If you carry concealed, you don't need a $1000 tricked out pistol to be well armed. But I will always have a nice enough 1911 or two, and good but old revolvers are very cool. I hate dinging up nice guns. So I hunt better with a stainless and glass rifle when I can pay attention to the hunting and not every little thing that might ding the gun. But on "easy" days, the vintage blue and wood comes forth. I think there is a reason you see so many nice shotguns on "gentlemanly, refine" quail hunts, but not so many in the duck blind or layout pits in goose fields!

Again, great thread. And loggah, that '94 is SWEET!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great thread. I would rather have an old rifle with walnut and blued steel than any stainless and plastic rifle built. My go to hunting rifles now are a custom Mexican Mauser in 7mm Mauser and a Husqvarna 458 mannlicher in 243 Winchester. I have passed on to my boys the stainless and plastic rifles that will all shoot sub minute of angle groups and I don't miss them. My Mauser and My Husqvarna will both shoot between an inch and a inch and a half most all the time and that seems to be good enough.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last rifle bought was a Marlin SC in 35 Remington. Bubba had worked his magic on straightening out the pistol grip and slimming down the fore end. I knew it wasn't original when I bought it and since it had already been modified, I didn't have to mess up an original Marlin SC to get what I think is the perfect 35 Remington.

[Linked Image]

Harry
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Lee 303 made on an Irish action made in 1900.
A 1903 Breda Mannlicher 6.5X54 I made from an action which was made in the 20s.
Several of my Mausers are made on actions made in the 20 and 30s. In fact the newest one was made in 1968, an InnerArms Mark X.
I have 2 Mosin Nagants, made in 1927 and 1939s.
A 1942 M1 Garand
A Savage M-99 made in 1949
A Marlin 336 made in the mid 60s

My Dad and Uncle both bought Winchester 22s with their mustering-out pay at the end of WW2 and I have both of those rifles too, as well as my Uncle's M37 410 Winchester shotgun he got before WW2, in 1937.
My wife have a Winchester M75 Target 22, made in the 30s. She also owns a Mauser Broomhandle pistol made in 1917 which is unfired. (and for sale)
I have a Colt 1911 made in 1916.
I think that's all the "old ones" ---------------that I can think of right now. anyway.

I have owned a few guns made before 1900 but I no longer own any of them.
I Sold or traded them all.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

jeez........my nipples just got hard lookin' at that Marlin............

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

finally pickin' up my two 'new' (to me) Marlins this week.....

'78 39 Mountie.........

'71 336 35 Rem..........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Cool thread!!!

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Cool thread!!!

Yeah it is, I thank all the responders for their time and damn nice pics which reminded me that I don't yet have all the nice old guns I want to try. The butt was cut on the M1917 but the other day the son came up with the original steel trap doored butt plate for it. It's bent but can be straightened, the bottom screw hole was reamed out but I will weld it up and re drill it. I will restore it back to the original length of pull. The gun has been modified to far to ever take it back to original. Doesn't mean a guy still can't enjoy it for what it is. The son actually said to me "it's an old junky military rifle" in 30-06. Had to bite my tongue, I guess some people just don't know that before a rifle is accepted for military use it sees some of the most exhaustive testing ever. I was an 03/03A3 junkie long before my first Enfield P17. I'm not very new either and not on the junk pile yet, think I'll make some meat next fall with it. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My "new old gun" I recently picked up. Plan to use it this year for deer & hogs.

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Last one I bought was a Remington Model 141 in .32 Remington. Came with the peep sight. No factory .32 Remington loads available, but the .30 Remington brass works fine and there are still 170 grain .321 diameter bullets. Puts 5 in a 2 inch group at 100 and it's gone deer hunting, although Bambi didn't cooperate by appearing. Will go again this fall.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My only old rifle is an old 1873. I have a few older Sakos, I discovered 99’s recently, got a few of them.
I have an old Iver Henriksen rifle also. I have a few Kleinguenther rifles too.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://a64.tinypic.com/5kn7y8.jpg[/img]

Last edited by hanco; 03/20/19.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Reminds me, still have to decide what to use for a stock on the latest 8x57 project...leaning toward a Bavarian style with a hogsback and a schnabel, similar to a CZ "Lux".

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
This is my newest old gun, a 1976 T.C. Seneca .45 cal. with all the original paperwork & everything needed to shoot it but the powder.
[Linked Image]

Remington 141 .35 Rem. Has a Bishop buttstock & original Marbles tang sight
[Linked Image]

Marlin 336a Waffle top 1950 .35 Rem.
[Linked Image]

Savage 99 1950 .300 Savage Scope is a Ted Williams signature Sears (Weaver) 4x Correct me if I am wrong?
[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Sorry for the poor quality pic's

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That's a nice 141. That Marble's tang sight is probably worth $125 all by itself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
northern jim what is the scope mount on the 99?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (6mmbrfan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 1,584 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,966
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.