Home
I have reloaded 45 acp, 45 colt, 357, and 10mm for the last decade. Started on a Lee classic turret which worked great but got tired of its finicky primer system so 4 years ago sold it and upgraded to a Dillon 550b, which has been awesome except for caliber changes. I have seperate setups for the 45s which makes it a lot easier, but still coming from the Lee it's a bit of a pain.

I have inherited/bought some rifles that I need to reload for. Model 71 348, 1886 33 wcf, 257 Bob, 220 swift, and I have a 475 Turnbull in the pipe I will definitely reload for it.

It was suggested to me I get a Forster co ax to reload my rifle rounds and leave the 550 dedicated to pistol reloading? Mostly because the smaller batches of rifle loads will change out quicker on the Forster and also have better quality for a rifle round?
I find it handy to have a progressive and a single stage press on the bench. When I used to shoot competition, there was a progressive set up for each cartridge at all times. The progressive is used for large (say 50 or more) batches and the single stage to to do single operations like sizing or smaller batches. There are several companies that make quality single stage presses.
Several years ago I inherited dad’s old Forster, so old that it says Bonanza on it. I had forgotten what a joy it is to use and have since converted nearly all my dies to use the Forster. I find it makes great ammo a bit more conveniently than the Rockchucker.
Originally Posted by KingCobb

It was suggested to me I get a Forster co ax to reload my rifle rounds and leave the 550 dedicated to pistol reloading? Mostly because the smaller batches of rifle loads will change out quicker on the Forster and also have better quality for a rifle round?

Pretty good advice . I've had my CO-AX (originally Bonanza) since '73 and it serves me well.

[Linked Image]
very happy with my forester coax press.
My progressive is used for pistol only. For rifle I use a rockchucker with a bench mount primer system. Never found it to be a pain since I only have to swap from size and decap to seater. How the Forster would make this any easier I don’t understand unless it’s a 2-3 hole you still have to swap them, unless you are saying it’s too tough to unscrew them.
i started reloading 40 some years ago i started with RCBS and they make good reloading tools. but around 30 years ago i got into bench rest shooting and decided to buy better reloading tools Wilson and Redding. if your starting out and think you are going to want better accuracy you may want to just buy Redding equipment right away in the long haul of life ? good luck,Pete53
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I find it handy to have a progressive and a single stage press on the bench...

Me too. I have a Dillon 450 for loading my pistol cartridges and my .223 and .308 Win, and next to it a RCBS RockChucker for my other rifle reloading. I've used that set up for over 40 years.

[Linked Image]
All good suggestions IMO. I might add that in this man's world it's better to start out with the best you can (or can't) afford and skip the "entry level" stuff. You're likely to end up there anyway and by doing so you'll save money in the long run.
I'm always hesitant to recommend a Co-Ax to a beginner because getting advice and assistance from others on-line can be dicey because of the differences.

In the case of a guy who already knows his way around a loading bench, I say "go for it." There may be a few things that you can't do on a Co-Ax (such as use a grip-n-pull bullet puller or certain stuck case removers), but those things sure won't stop me. There are other ways to handle those situations. The conveniences of the Co-Ax are many. About the only thing I do not like about it is having to reverse the shell holder jaws for smaller cases.

One other thing to think about is the cost of Forster die lock rings. In my opinion, they're the way to go with this press, but they're not cheap at about $4 a pop (I've bought about 70 of these things over the years myself). If you have 30 or 40 die sets it could get awfully expensive. Some think other lock rings are as good if not better for this press, but I disagree. YMMV.
Unless you have a custom or semi custom rifle for shooting LR or bench rest, with a custom reamed chamber and such , just about any press and dies you choose will manufacture ammo for any of the off the shelf hunting rifles and will kills deer and elk just as dead. IMO the single most important factor in accuracy is concentric ammo and with a little bit of tinkering and adjustment , most dies will produce ammo with less than .003 run out . Most off the shelf rifles do not not have concentric chambers and may be of 2-3 thousandths. If your rifle won't do it, the most expensive press and dies won't help. Worrying about press and die types are about like wasting time on flash hole reaming, neck turning , brass sorting etc. if you have an off the shelf rifle.

50 + years ago, I started off with a hand me down C&H press and Herters dies. I up graded to an RCBS because I wore out the old press and still use the RBCS, but I have a Dillon Square Deal B for all my handgun rounds. My dies are mostly RCBS ,but I have a few Lyman,Herters, Lee, and Hornady thrown in
Well I managed to find one for sale so I ordered it. Should be interesting to try.

The other thing I am having to figure our moving to rifles is case trimming. Never had to do that with pistol ammo.

Forster sells a variety of trimmers but I don't know if they are worth it or something else. They sell something called the tri trim but don't know how it is all that different.

Also, how do yall handle powder with this type of press? Measure individually or use a drop scale?
Those are items that should probably be selected after considering the volume of reloading you plan to do.
I won't be reloading tons of rifle ammo like I do pistol, but 50 or so rounds to a session is likely. Maybe 100 rds. Who knows I love shooting my new M71 in 348 so I could reload more.
Like saddlesore said above, unless you are thinking about BR competition a lot of this stuff can be over kill and remember, you are asking a BUNCH OF RIFLE LOONEYS for advice.
For hunting ammo most powder measures will consistently throw accurate enough charges (+-.1 grain) so that you can get your measure set up and go as long as you use a powder that isn't long grain like standard 4831, although I still weigh a few during a run to make sure nothing has gone haywire.
For trimming, Forster makes good stuff as does Redding, Most of the others will make you serviceable hunting ammo with RCBS probably the go to for most.
I use a Chargemaster 1500 Combo for coarse powders, but I shoot several thousand rounds a year and I think it makes life easier enough to justify the cost. If you're going to shoot a few hundred rounds a year, then using a Uni-Flow or similar powder measure set to drop a light charge and then trickling up might be the way to go unless cost is no factor.

Trimming is one of the tasks I detest the most, so I overspend by a bit to minimize the drudgery...but again, for shooting a few hundred rounds per year, going the more economical route oughta be perfectly viable. It all depends on how you wanna go and how much you're willing to spend.
I have a Forster press and I’m happy with it. If I was trimming a bunch of rifle cases I would look at the Frankford Arsenal trimmer.
A friend has one and it’s is nice. Hasbeen

I got my Co-Ax about 45 years ago and it is just great. I bought a Redding Ultra Mag when I was forming cases for wildcats. Thankfully I got over that phase. The Co-Ax is used about 95% of the time now. It is easy to use provided the user know how to handload.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I'm always hesitant to recommend a Co-Ax to a beginner because getting advice and assistance from others on-line can be dicey because of the differences.

In the case of a guy who already knows his way around a loading bench, I say "go for it." There may be a few things that you can't do on a Co-Ax (such as use a grip-n-pull bullet puller or certain stuck case removers), but those things sure won't stop me. There are other ways to handle those situations. The conveniences of the Co-Ax are many. About the only thing I do not like about it is having to reverse the shell holder jaws for smaller cases.

One other thing to think about is the cost of Forster die lock rings. In my opinion, they're the way to go with this press, but they're not cheap at about $4 a pop (I've bought about 70 of these things over the years myself). If you have 30 or 40 die sets it could get awfully expensive. Some think other lock rings are as good if not better for this press, but I disagree. YMMV.

RiverRider,

Midway USA has a kit to swap the Forster COAX from the universal setup to a shell holder setup. If I remember correctly it was around $30. I got this setup for my COAX and it's best of both worlds now.

Trystan
I use a Chargemaster 1500 Combo for coarse powders, but I shoot several thousand rounds a year and I think it makes life easier enough to justify the cost. If you're going to shoot a few hundred rounds a year, then using a Uni-Flow or similar powder measure set to drop a light charge and then trickling up might be the way to go unless cost is no factor.

Trimming is one of the tasks I detest the most, so I overspend by a bit to minimize the drudgery...but again, for shooting a few hundred rounds per year, going the more economical route oughta be perfectly viable. It all depends on how you wanna go and how much you're willing to spend.

The uni-flow is a POS with coarse extruded powders, with a baffle it works great for fine or flake powders. Mine has been relegated to pistol only. Rifle I use a first gen Hornady measure that they don’t even make a powder hopper for anymore. Made a replacement one myself after ordering 4 foot of tube for 20 bucks. Got enough to make 5 more at least.

Trimmer I use the RCBS with the inside/outside chamfer adapter while trimming. Cheap and the cats meow.

What Riverrider said.

It’s an excellent design. Over-kill for non-longrange/BR, perhaps, but hey. Who doesn’t like sportscars?

The 3-n-1 trimmer is nice if you make a lot of something. Trimming, chamfer, deburring 1000 hornet cases is not humane. With the 3-n-1, it’s tolerable.

About powder measures you mentioned. I just put the stand maybe 18-24” to my right, and shuffle reloading blocks accordingly so am always working from one block, to another block. That’s the only down-side IMO, moving in/out of the press constantly, but true of any single stage press. For stuff that has no hope of being terribly accurate anyway, and doesn’t need a lot of mechanical leverage, i use a redding t7 simply for less brass handling in/out. Co-Ax is still king, though.
Originally Posted by Trystan

RiverRider,

Midway USA has a kit to swap the Forster COAX from the universal setup to a shell holder setup. If I remember correctly it was around $30. I got this setup for my COAX and it's best of both worlds now.

Trystan

I have it too. Don't care for it much.
I have all RCBS, except a few Redding dies
The Co-Ax is an excellent design, but have tried it and much prefer a good turret press.

I can put dies for at least 3 cartridges in a good turret press, which is handy for for me since I'm often loading for several cartridges at once. Which is why I have three turret presses, two Redding T7's and one of the new Lyman 8-hole presses.

But if you don't load for so many different rounds, or experiment so much, the Co-Ax works great.
Yes.....
Buy the Co-ax.

Really. Don’t even think twice.

RiverRider,

Trystan

I have it too. Don't care for it much.

The shell holder adapter plate is handy when you need to use a shortened shell holder, because a die is too long.

Originally Posted by kingston
Buy the Co-ax.

He did several hours ago.
Agreed. Love the Co-Ax press.
The only thing I’ll add is Forster’s universal shell holder with the Manzgear upgrade kit is the hell for stout if you run lots of large cases.

I won't be reloading tons of rifle ammo like I do pistol, but 50 or so rounds to a session is likely. Maybe 100 rds. Who knows I love shooting my new M71 in 348 so I could reload more.

The ChargeMaster is pretty handy. I upgraded to an A&D Fx120i and Auto Trickle.
Well I managed to find one for sale so I ordered it. Should be interesting to try.

The other thing I am having to figure our moving to rifles is case trimming. Never had to do that with pistol ammo.

Forster sells a variety of trimmers but I don't know if they are worth it or something else. They sell something called the tri trim but don't know how it is all that different.

Also, how do yall handle powder with this type of press? Measure individually or use a drop scale?

I have a powder measure arm on my InLine Fabrication mount. But I use a lot of Ramshot powder.

[Linked Image]
I have my stuff mounted on heavy duty brackets made from aluminum angle. It drops into any one of the numerous vises around the shop.

[Linked Image]
Hornady lock rings also fit the CoAx press. Larry has Forster lock rings on sale occasionally too.

You guys are too neat, must let your significant others in to clean or have other anal tendencies.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The Co-Ax is an excellent design, but have tried it and much prefer a good turret press.

I can put dies for at least 3 cartridges in a good turret press, which is handy for for me since I'm often loading for several cartridges at once. Which is why I have three turret presses, two Redding T7's and one of the new Lyman 8-hole presses.

But if you don't load for so many different rounds, or experiment so much, the Co-Ax works great.

An eight legged mule deer with four brains you must be if you can load for several cartridges at once.
The Foster Co-Ax is back ordered at most stores, what is the story on the Frankford Arsenal Single Stage reloading press?
recoiljunky,

Loading for several cartridges at once has been pretty much normal here for a number of years now! However, that just means I have several sets of dies in the turret press. I load for one of the cartridges until all its planned loading is done, then start on the next one.
For that price I would get one of these.http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/harrells-tooling-turret-press-by-henry-harrell
I would get the magnum version as the standard is geared for 308 size cases. These would be all anyone would need unless they do a lot of bullets waging and case forming.
I have used several RCBS presses some Lees and tried others and if I ever upgrade it will be to the Harrell. The Redding and Lyman turrets are good to and die holders are more available at local outlets.

I have RCBS, Forster and and Redding trimmers but I find myself mostly using the Lee trimmers in a portable drill. The tri cut on a dedicated unit like the Frankfort would be a time saver.
Originally Posted by old_willys
The Foster Co-Ax is back ordered at most stores, what is the story on the Frankford Arsenal Single Stage reloading press?

If you are interested in a Co-Ax, I just confirmation that the one I ordered form Schells just shipped and the guy on the phone said they had several in stock.
Love my RCBS Rockchucker.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

I have a powder measure arm on my InLine Fabrication mount. But I use a lot of Ramshot powder.

[Linked Image]

I have my 550b on a Ultra mount and have a change plate and such coming so I can switch it out with the Forster. Also got the powder measure arm to use. Inline makes a great product, I am slowly covering my peg board with his wall mount system.
One more questions-- Since Forster doesn't offer a Die for the .348 winchester, I have been trying to figure out what die to use? I have been reading a lot, some say to get REdding neck sizer, while others say it is unecessary and to just use a Lee FCD, while others say it isn't long enough for the .348.

Any suggestions on what brand of die for the .348.

Also, on the subject of trimmers and powder throwers, I have stumbled across a used giraud and a harrel powder measure that someone has offered to sell me. $300 for the pair. Its more than I need, but at that price I am not certain I can turn it down.

I know next to nothing about either brand other than people seem to hold them in high regard. The gentleman has been trying to sell them for a while as he can no longer reload and is just looking to get rid of them.
Get them, the Harrell is one of the most accurate powder measures and the Giraud is one of the fastest most convenient trimmers. They are not essential but if you believe in getting the best start with those. I probably have as much tied up in the duplicate trimming set ups I ended up with.

The only down side to the Giraud is that all your reloading buddies will want to come trim their cases at your house.
recoiljunky,

Loading for several cartridges at once has been pretty much normal here for a number of years now! However, that just means I have several sets of dies in the turret press. I load for one of the cartridges until all its planned loading is done, then start on the next one.

Agreed. I bought a Redding T-7 when they first came out. My only complaint is I didn't buy two of them. I supposed I could buy a second turret, but I don't reload quiiiiiite as many calibers/cartridges as Mule Deer does for his article research. I mean, I am a rifle looney, but not THAT much of a rifle looney...

I keep one station in my T-7 with a Lee decapping die more or less permanently. Presently the other 6 stations are occupied with dies for 3 calibers that I'm loading a lot of right now: all are Lee Collet dies with corresponding dead-length bullet seaters (270 WSM, 375 H&H, and 6.5mm Creedmoor). I get great ammo with these dies, with very little bullet runout and excellent accuracy. But 3 months ago I had a set of Redding dies for my 358 Winchester in there, and a set for .223 Rem. The nice thing is I can leave a set of carefully adjusted dies in place for weeks at a time while I'm working on a long-term load development project, but still have plenty of stations left for other calibers as needs be. It works pretty well for my system of rifle handloading.
Originally Posted by recoiljunky
Hornady lock rings also fit the CoAx press.

I only use Forster aluminum lock rings on my Coax. Aluminum is softer than the cast iron the press frame. This isolates wear on the aluminum lock ring, which is easily replaced. Using steel lock rings would focus wear on the die slot machined into the press frame.
I’ve not used the Forster rings in my Coax in a long time. All Hornady for about the past 15 years. I checked the slot to look for “wear” and can’t see anything wearing down. I switched when Forster rings used the Crosslot screws vs the good Allen screws on the Hornady rings.
DocRocket,

Yep, that's basically what I do--except I have three turret presses, two Redding and one of the new Lymans. The second Redding is set up in a smaller loading area I have in the basement, for when the big garage area gets too cold or hot. All of them have Lee decapping dies in one hole. It saves a lot of time in simply changing dies when I'm working with several different rounds, especially 3-die sets, like the .50-70 Springfields I've got in one right now.
For someone that's going to load under 100 rounds a year for a few different
cartridges a used Rock Chucker would save money and do a fantastic job.

Even better? A used Redding single stage.

Darn close?
Any American cast iron single stage from hornady/Frontier, Lyman...
Used. These things can get messed up, but won't wear out.

EBAY!

The Uinflow doesn't like stick powders that well, most measures don't love them.
But, come on, 100 rounds?
That's around where I decide to pecker around with a measure.
Much under that, a bowl and spoon, Lee Dippers, or a homemade dipper.
I can load 50 rounds faster using a teaspoon, than getting a measure out, setting it,
checking on it, refilling it, rechecking it, emptying it, and putting it away.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Darn close?

EBAY!

The Uinflow doesn't like stick powders that well, most measures don't love them.
I can load 50 rounds faster using a teaspoon, than getting a measure out, setting it,

For under 100 rounds a year I would load my ammo at wallmart.

Most accurate powder measure by far I have uses is the Lee. On the box it says most accurate powder measure in the world and Ive found it to be true. Its only $20 ish. I liken that powder measure to the Lee Neck dies. Yes it even does the stick powders usually to a tenth of a grain. Ive had it throw 100 rounds dead on every time with finer powders.

Trystan
That was not my experience with a Lee measure, though that was a few years ago. It worked OK with stick powders but gummed up with sphericals. Maybe it has improved since?

Darn close?

EBAY!

I didn't say 100 rds a year I said 100 rd batches. I have 80 pieces of 348 brass ready to load already just from shooting last week. My point is a simpler to change caliber makes sense for smaller batch rifle loadings as opposed to the 550b which I load 400-500 batches.

Darn close?

EBAY!

For under 100 rounds a year I would load my ammo at wallmart.

Most accurate powder measure by far I have uses is the Lee. On the box it says most accurate powder measure in the world and Ive found it to be true. Its only $20 ish. I liken that powder measure to the Lee Neck dies. Yes it even does the stick powders usually to a tenth of a grain. Ive had it throw 100 rounds dead on every time with finer powders.

Trystan

I said 100 rd batches. Also you can't get 348 or even 33 Winchester at walmart, and if you could it would probably be 100 bucks per 20. That's why I am reloading.
That was not my experience with a Lee measure, though that was a few years ago. It worked OK with stick powders but gummed up with sphericals. Maybe it has improved since?

I had the Lee micrometer powder drop on my old classic turret press and it worked very well.

But I mostly loaded just tightgroup

To be more specific the one I have is called the Lee perfect powder measure and there $25 at midway. Its a cheap looking plastic contraption, I picked mine up about a year ago.
From 1999 to 2005 I used a rock chucker
From 2005 to 2012 I used a pair of co-ax presses
From 2012 to 2019 I used a pair of RCBS partner presses on a mobile mount for my vehicles and this desk.

I still have the co-ax presses and the rock chucker in the reloading room, but I prefer handload at the desk or in the field.
© 24hourcampfire