Home
Posted By: mjbgalt Battery choices - 07/29/19
Got a 3 centerfire rifle battery in mind. Just making things simpler.

270, 223 are the bookends.

What goes in between? And why
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Battery choices - 07/29/19
6 something for 105s.
Everything else is pretty well covered.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Battery choices - 07/29/19
For me it would depend on what you hunt, and under what conditions, as well as what the configuration of the .223 and .270. For example, if the .223 is a hefty sort of rig set up for target shooting and sniping varmints from long range, a light walk-around rifle for small game might make sense, if you have the opportunity to do so. Vice versa if the .223 is already a lightweight walk-around rifle - you might choose something with a bit of weight and a fast-twist barrel for reaching out a bit, and perhaps a bit of competition if that interests you - perhaps a 6mm of some sort, or another .223.

If you might do a bit of hunting in the scrub, perhaps popping pigs, then you might want something compact, and perhaps capable of getting repeat shots away quickly too if you are culling, and if the .270 doesn't fit that bill then there are any number of options which will, such as a .30-30 lever action, or a pump or self-loader in a suitable calibre.

You can always justify more rifles ;-)
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Battery choices - 07/29/19
^^^^^^^
Alert! Alert! dan oz, turn in your loony card!

"You can always justify more rifles ;-)"

This is just the kind of slippery slope some people innocently (?) put us on, and nothing good comes of it!!!

Repeat at least 100 times, "What's need got to do with it?"

If the board believes you are sincere in your contrition, we'll consider reinstating your loony card . . .

DAMMIT! Ever vigilant men!
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Battery choices - 07/29/19
I'd consider ditching the .270 and going with .30-06, then filling the gap with maybe .25-06...or stick with .270 and get a .243 or 6mm Remington. If the .243 doesn't appeal to you, then you could always assemble an AR15 in 6mm AR. It's a nice round.
Posted By: vapodog Re: Battery choices - 07/29/19
The .243 is the logical choice.....but for me, you've picked the wrong bookends as there really isn't much room between them.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Battery choices - 07/29/19
I am leaning 257 roberts
Despite my picking on him for fun, dan oz gave a great answer. There is so much more about a rifle than the cartridge, and the intended use figures heavily in the decisions of action type, barrel length, sights, weight, and finally, cartridge. Actually, for any given use, cartridge should come last, because more than one will likely work about as well as some others There are also the questions of do you reload or use just factory, as well as ammo availability in out of the way places. If you want to simplify to three rifles, you have to choose wisely.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Battery choices - 07/29/19
I don't mind three rifle batteries, as long as I'm allowed several. All of mine lean heavily on the 257 Roberts and 250-3000 for mid size rounds.
Posted By: jerrywoodswalker Re: Battery choices - 07/29/19
Somewhat in-line with Dan Oz's comment...

If the .223 & 270 are synthetic stainless===> I would look at something a little more 'Classic', say a Savage 99 in 250 Savage, Win 94 in 32 Special, Marlin 336 in 35 Rem., or ?

Jerry
Posted By: drover Re: Battery choices - 07/29/19
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

While a 3 centerfire battery seems like a great idea unless you are doing some speciality hunting the 270 will cover any big game, the 223 will cover any varmints. So rather than all centerfires why not consider a quality rimfire rifle chambered in 22 LR as a part of the 3 rifle battery.

An accurate quality rimfire 22 LR will probably be shot much, much more than any of the centerfires, they are great for practice, inexpensive to shoot, can be shot in practically any locales, and are just plain fun - they are great for putting a smile on your face.

Just my .02 cents even though I strayed from your question.

drover
Posted By: Trystan Re: Battery choices - 07/29/19
I am leaning 257 roberts

In my opinion the bookends have everything covered except for the 3rd wheel backup rifle that everyone should have. A 3rd wheel should have attributes of pleasant recoil yet still will take game easily in the hands of an experienced hunter. The third wheel rifle is the one you always want to shoot 50 times at the range and enjoy countless hours testing new loads while seeking accuracy and on game performance.

The 257 Roberts fits the 3rd wheel perfectly IMO

Trystan
^^^^^^^
For that "3rd wheel backup rifle", I keep thinking I should buy a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor, hang a good scope on it, and just try to wear it out.
They are said to be damn accurate, yet they don't cost much more than a new barrel on my "nicer, prettier" rifles.
And while I have backup rifles now, I can imagine not wanting those in the hands of some people I know. I'd be willing to risk the Ruger.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Battery choices - 07/30/19
Not a bad idea i guess. I am just not a plastic rifle kinda guy
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Battery choices - 07/30/19
Not a bad idea i guess. I am just not a plastic rifle kinda guy

It sounds like you are wanting three nice rifles. I was responding to Trystan's concept of a "backup" rifle. Admittedly, I was responding having in mind my preconceived idea that "backup" means I might have to lend it out.

When that plastic rifle is shooting well, and you keep remembering what you paid for it, you might get used to it. That said, it would probably always be a "backup and range rifle" to me. I'm plenty happy with my current hunting rifles, but I wouldn't mind saving their barrels for hunting.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Battery choices - 07/30/19
What you need is a nice drilling, with the shotgun barrels 16-gauge and the rifle barrel the 6.5x57R, and a Krieghoff insert for the right-hand shotgun barrel in .22 Magnum. That'l work as back up for 99% of all hunting in North America, and the the 6.5x57R is the ballistic equivalent of the 6.5 Creedmoor without the shameful connotations.

I know where you might be able to buy a very accurate drilling fitting that exact description, but it will cost about 10 times as much as an RAR in 6.5 Creedmoor.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Battery choices - 07/30/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
What you need is a nice drilling, with the shotgun barrels 16-gauge and the rifle barrel the 6.5x57R, and a Krieghoff insert for the right-hand shotgun barrel in .22 Magnum. That'l work as back up for 99% of all hunting in North America, and the the 6.5x57R is the ballistic equivalent of the 6.5 Creedmoor without the shameful connotations.

I know where you might be able to buy a very accurate drilling fitting that exact description, but it will cost about 10 times as much as an RAR in 6.5 Creedmoor.

There you go being all practical again. Sheesh!

Why not something like a .25-20 for fun time plinking? Sounds like the OP has the serious hunting game sewn up with his first two choices.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Battery choices - 07/30/19
"Sounds like the OP has the serious hunting game sewn up with his first two choices."

That's kinda my thought as well!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Battery choices - 07/31/19
No one has addressed the “cool” factor.

Creed or Swede ups the ante, at least here on the Fire.

DF
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Battery choices - 07/31/19
I like the copper top ones!!
Posted By: WAM Re: Battery choices - 07/31/19
Sounds like a good spot for a M77 tang safety or M70 Featherweight in .257 Roberts. Happy Trails
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Battery choices - 07/31/19
"Sounds like the OP has the serious hunting game sewn up with his first two choices."

That's kinda my thought as well!

I was thinking he needed to make the .270 the middle and add a 9.3 x 62. But if he doesn't hunt any "big" critters, not a great plan.
Posted By: WAM Re: Battery choices - 07/31/19
Sounds like a good spot for a M77 tang safety or M70 Featherweight in .257 Roberts. Happy Trails
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Battery choices - 07/31/19

Now there's an idea! If you're going to limit yourself to just three, why not have something a bit special?

I filled a gap in my own "battery" with almost exactly this some years back, though mine has a 7x57R rifle barrel rather than 6.5. It is a very fine and versatile little gun too, with which I have hunted everything from birds to rabbits to deer.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Battery choices - 07/31/19
dan,

Sounds wonderful!

I really kind of wanted a 7x57R myself, but this one came along at the right time. I've hunted the same variety of game with it that you have with yours.
Posted By: CRS Re: Battery choices - 07/31/19
257 is the statistical in between.

With that being said, I do not see a gap to fill. Were I to add a rifle to that group, my choice would be a 338-06 or a 300 H&H.
Posted By: Elvis Re: Battery choices - 07/31/19
Instead of thinking of a cartridge , maybe consider a different rifle action. I think with your .223 and .270 covering just about everything, the third rifle could be a single shot like a Ruger 1A in 7x57 or .257 Roberts. Just for when you feel like hunting with something different.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Battery choices - 07/31/19
While a .270 would not be my first choice for shooting big bears, I have seen mine run a 110 grain TTSX through a godawful amount of bone and still exit. It would work and work well. A .223 would work just fine on anything lesser. To me that leave a different action for a little different purpose.as the best third rifle. For many years I have brought a Marlin 30-30 along deer hunting as a backup rifle. I use it as my first choice for tracking and dispatching wounded deer. It is small, light and accurate. Barnes 150 grain TSXs at 2400 FPS provide all the range I need. It has a 1-4x20 Leupy down very low to the receiver so it handles very quickly..
Posted By: GeoW Re: Battery choices - 08/04/19
308 or 243
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Battery choices - 08/05/19
Bookends = .22 Hornet & .416 Rigby. 3 gun battery? OMG! I can't, I can't !!!!
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Battery choices - 08/06/19
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

I'd slip something in .280 Rem in between those two if I was inclined to have a three gun battery with .416 at the top end. That's a heck of a span, though.
Posted By: Brad Re: Battery choices - 08/07/19

243... ideal on larger varmints, antelope and deer.

A 223, 243, and 270 has always been my “Ultimate-Practical Montana Battery.”

The 243 can step in to realistically handle the work of the 270 (bear, elk, moose) should the 270 be “indisposed.” The 223 is to the 243, what the 243 is to the 270... ie, it can handle the same chores, but in a lighter recoiling guise.

A bit of redundancy/overlap is desirable in a “battery.”

-Or- you could just get three 6.5 Creedmoors of differing weight, barrel length, and optics aboard... grin
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Battery choices - 08/07/19
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Battery choices - 08/09/19

As always.... This.

But if you must something with a 257 in it.
Posted By: FC363 Re: Battery choices - 08/10/19
I would go with the .243 or 6mm Rem. It would be worlds better than the .223 in open country/high winds, and will take an Antelope or Deer if you don't have the .270 with you.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Battery choices - 08/10/19
Originally Posted by Ole_270
I don't mind three rifle batteries, as long as I'm allowed several. All of mine lean heavily on the 257 Roberts and 250-3000 for mid size rounds.

I don't mind them either, for other people. Musta been a Democrat hanging by his tail from my family tree somewhere.

7" twist 6mm would be my pick, probably the Creedmoor.
Posted By: drover Re: Battery choices - 08/10/19
Originally Posted by Brad

243... ideal on larger varmints, antelope and deer.

A 223, 243, and 270 has always been my “Ultimate-Practical Montana Battery.”

The 243 can step in to realistically handle the work of the 270 (bear, elk, moose) should the 270 be “indisposed.” The 223 is to the 243, what the 243 is to the 270... ie, it can handle the same chores, but in a lighter recoiling guise.

A bit of redundancy/overlap is desirable in a “battery.”

-Or- you could just get three 6.5 Creedmoors of differing weight, barrel length, and optics aboard... grin

This is probably the best recommendation of the lot, especially if you disregard the last sentance.

drover
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Battery choices - 08/10/19
There isn't a whole lot that doesn't fit between that .416 and the Hornet!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Battery choices - 08/10/19
Originally Posted by Bob_B257

As always.... This.

But if you must something with a 257 in it.

Roberts. Case closed.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Battery choices - 08/10/19
My personal feeling is that rifles in three chamberings simply do not provide enough flexibility in minutiae arguments. Thirty is a good start.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Battery choices - 08/10/19
There's a gap between .223 and .270 ? Not really in my book. In my book the .223 and .270 would fill the medium and large slots {though I'd prefer a .30-06 to a .270 on the top end} and you still need a good rimfire rifle for the small stuff.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Battery choices - 08/10/19
My personal feeling is that rifles in three chamberings simply do not provide enough flexibility in minutiae arguments. Thirty is a good start.

+1
Posted By: StuckInOhio Re: Battery choices - 08/10/19
Since I see you live in Ohio, why not get something that you could use in that state for deer. A 357 mag rifle would be good. Those cowboy type lever actions are a nice walkabout gun and when you get older and can't take the recoil anymore, it would be the gun you would be glad you bought. Did I mention home self-defense?

Might consider the 350 Legend also. The only problem is no background on it for how it performs on game yet.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Battery choices - 08/10/19

A .270 AND a .223? Why two varmint rifles?
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Battery choices - 08/10/19

This is why you are a GOAT! Greatest of All Times!
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Battery choices - 08/10/19
Originally Posted by Pappy348

7" twist 6mm would be my pick, probably the Creedmoor.

Mine as well.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Battery choices - 08/10/19
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

+1

Sig line worthy!
Posted By: badger Re: Battery choices - 08/13/19
250 AI is a very underrated cartridge.

Just saying.
Posted By: 338Rules Re: Battery choices - 08/16/19
Originally Posted by WAM

With an AR in .223 , a 24” bolt in .270 . One is left with the obvious wMart ammo choice of 6.5 CM Done

Montana is a boring, boring place, with nothing but wide open spaces.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Battery choices - 08/16/19
I never really cared much for Jack O'Connor, but his battery of a 222, 270 and 375 HH would work just as well today as it did in his time.

Of course a 223, 257 or 416, 22 Hornet, 30/06 and 458 might right in there too. 204, 7mm Mag, 416 Weatherby....
Posted By: Northman Re: Battery choices - 08/16/19
Stainless
Tikka T3x
223 & 308
20 inch barrels
One shared silencer
McMillan Sako Hunter
Sportsmatch 30mm rings
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42
Upgrade the bottom metal and bolt handle

Go hunt.

Then spend the serious money on a full blown custom 22lr with the most beautiful walnut stock you can afford.
Rust blueing, nitre blueing, checkered steel buttplate, engraving on scope rings and bolt handle.
And the best optic you can afford for looking through for hours without eyestrain.
Just go hog wild on the fit and finish..

Then you have something you can look at for hours while admiring the immaculate work done... and shooting thousands and thousands of rounds each year.

Posted By: hanco Re: Battery choices - 08/17/19

At least 30, I think 40 would be better!
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Battery choices - 08/17/19
With your bookends that makes good sense.
© 24hourcampfire