Home
Posted By: 222ND Last patch - 08/19/19
Just wondering what the last patch is that people are running when cleaning a centerfire rifle barrel. I’m referring to a rifle that would be used within a short time frame, not something your going to store for long periods. I guess I usually go dry or a few small drops of CLP.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Last patch - 08/19/19
I run a patch of solvent, then dry patches until it comes out clean...I’m done. Oil will change poi on first round. 😎
Posted By: Elvis Re: Last patch - 08/19/19
If the rifle is going to be used next weekend I'd leave it unoiled. I only put an oily patch up when the rifle is not going to be used for a while. However, I live in an area with hardy any humidity. If I lived near the coast or further north I'd run an oily patch up always and dry before using.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Last patch - 08/19/19
If getting put away for the season, RIG on a not too tight patch. The stuff was used in place of cosmoline by the military, though I suppose most anything would work if not handled or stored under harsh conditions. Otherwise what
s in Ed's Red or a little Kroil, and a dry patch when I take it out again.
Posted By: aalf Re: Last patch - 08/19/19
Originally Posted by 222ND
Just wondering what the last patch is that people are running when cleaning a centerfire rifle barrel.

Last patch gets 4-5 drops of Kroil that I run through twice, regardless of whether I'm shooting it in 5 minutes or 5 months.

I have no problem with clean/cold shots to 500 or beyond doing so........
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Last patch - 08/21/19
If I'm getting ready to hunt, I shoot one round through the clean barrel and leave it at that. I always try to hunt with a very lightly fouled barrel.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Last patch - 08/21/19

Patches? cleaning a barrel? What are you guys talking about?
Posted By: memtb Re: Last patch - 08/21/19
If it will be used in a fairly short period of time......at least 2 rounds fired. Almost all of the small-bore (30 caliber and under) firearms we have, show a definite POI change from a clean bore to a fouled bore. It seems the smaller the bore, the more dramatic the POI shift. Our hunting rifles “do not” show a significant POI change......but they get “fouling rounds” as well! memtb
Posted By: devnull Re: Last patch - 08/22/19
I quit using CLP as the last patch and instead went to Eezox. I had read years ago that the CLP I was using (Safariland) had teflon in it. Putting teflon in the bore was a question around first shot accuracy. Therefore, went to Eezox. I might be wrong here but that's my method.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Last patch - 08/22/19
Originally Posted by shrapnel

It's like a foreign language.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Last patch - 08/22/19
Originally Posted by devnull
I quit using CLP as the last patch and instead went to Eezox. I had read years ago that the CLP I was using (Safariland) had teflon in it. Putting teflon in the bore was a question around first shot accuracy. Therefore, went to Eezox. I might be wrong here but that's my method.

Did you notice any difference in accuracy when you changed?
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Last patch - 08/22/19
I usually finish up with Ed's Red, still using on a large batch I mixed up 20 years ago. It's about all I use on my cast bullet rifles.
Posted By: agazain Re: Last patch - 08/22/19
Originally Posted by shrapnel

"Patches? Patches??!! We don't need no stinkin' patches!!"
Posted By: devnull Re: Last patch - 08/23/19
Originally Posted by Filaman
Originally Posted by devnull

Did you notice any difference in accuracy when you changed?

First shot seemed to not throw as many fliers when going to Eezox.
Posted By: shaman Re: Last patch - 08/23/19
My last patch is Ed's Red, or more precisely the gun oil version which is simply 50% Kerosene and 50% ATF. If the rifle is not going to be out of the safe again in 6 months, I'll mix in Eezox.

I've found Ed's Red does an amazing job of deep cleaning. I just have to remember to run a patch down the barrel before the next use. If my deer rifles go into the safe in December, and I pick them out again in the summer, the Ed's Red will continue to pull crud out over the intervening months. The last patch may have been clean, putting them into the safe, but that first patch before shooting the next summer will be remarkably dirty.

For the rifles that are going to be used throughout the year, I just use the full Ed's Red mixture as the last patch. Again, I'll usually run a patch through as they're coming out of the safe to make sure the bore is clean.
© 24hourcampfire