Home
Posted By: Quak Birding advice - 10/31/19
Im into birding at an amateur level and have enjoyed it for sometime. I have a non-tech savy friend who would like to get into it and has asked for a book and or field guide recommendation. In use a couple apps on my phone and while I hate to say it...I’m not sure what to recommend.

Any ideas would be great...he’s in Michigan’s upper peninsula if it matters.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Birding advice - 10/31/19
I use the Merlin app from Cornell University on my phone and iPad. The pictures are better than in the field guides I have. I still keep the life list up in my old Peterson's Guide.

Not a Birder in the usual sense, just someone who enjoys watching them. My yard has multiple food sources, natural and cultivated, plus I run one or more feeders all year. The WMA I hunt is a good place to see stuff as well while waiting for volunteers for my personal food bank. Also, the nearby Virginia State Arboretum draws a nice variety, and seems pretty popular with bird photographers with their big honkin' lenses.
Posted By: Brad Re: Birding advice - 10/31/19
I'm just a casual birder, but I like the Sibley Guide a bit better than the Petersen. The Kaufman guide is reputed to be the most user-friendly for someone new to the pastime (it uses photo's rather than drawings). I'd use an app as a backup to a good guide, but not rely solely on an app.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Birding advice - 10/31/19
Have to check those out. Multiple sources are always good.

Just thumbed through my copy of the Audubon guide and the pics are better than I remembered. Still, the Merlin app is handy, always on me, and has a what-is-it feature a newbie might like.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Birding advice - 10/31/19
We have a number of birding books in the house, but tend to regard Sibley's as the ultimate source, partly because of more views of color variations, but other details as well.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Birding advice - 10/31/19
Another vote for Sibley's and we have several others that are not as good. It was recommended by the members of our birding club in Florida and it is the one that we usually take along.
Posted By: LNF150 Re: Birding advice - 10/31/19
Thumbs up for Sibley's.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Birding advice - 10/31/19
There is also an app that can identify birds by their calls. It can be fun and is good when you can hear a bird and not see it.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Birding advice - 10/31/19
Sibley's for in the house.

The old Golden "Birds of North America" for in the field.
Posted By: Wrapids Re: Birding advice - 10/31/19
I like Sibley, it seems decisive and broad, but a bit hard to navigate and grasp, given changes in classification, names, and organization over the last 50 years I have been a birdwatcher.
Posted By: mogwai Re: Birding advice - 11/01/19
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Sibley's for in the house.

The old Golden "Birds of North America" for in the field.

Agreed. The Golden illustrations are designed to focus on the features of each bird
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Birding advice - 11/01/19
Which is what I still do much of the time. Still have the Golden guide that was the required textbook for my freshman course in field ornithology at the University of Montana in 1978. Of course, it is horribly out of date in some ways, since it still lists "rufous-sided towhee" and "oldsquaw," instead of their modern names. But is is much more compact than Sibley's, and if I have look something up, still know about which page contains that info!
Posted By: JOG Re: Birding advice - 11/01/19
Originally Posted by Quak

It does matter - there's no sense wading through dozens of pages of birds that don't live there to find one that does. My go-to is Stan Tekiela's Birds of Minnesota. It's simple and quick. I have other resources, but they are rarely necessary. He does many (most?) other states as well.

Birds of Michigan
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Birding advice - 11/01/19
Lead #6's early season, copper plated #5's late.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Birding advice - 11/01/19
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by Quak

It does matter - there's no sense wading through dozens of pages of birds that don't live there to find one that does. My go-to is Stan Tekiela's Birds of Minnesota. It's simple and quick. I have other resources, but they are rarely necessary. He does many (most?) other states as well.

Birds of Michigan

This
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Birding advice - 11/01/19
I also have a Montana bird guide--along with books for various places around the world from southern Africa to the British isles--but don't see any reason to recommend a strictly local bird book to somebody who might get into birding enough to travel beyond state lines.

I also like birding books that reveal a little more than than simple identification--but whatever.
Posted By: Quak Re: Birding advice - 11/01/19
Gents...thanks so much for the information. Not only did I buy my friend a guide...I picked up a couple for my wife and I. Seems I’ve been missing a lot in my casual birding!

Thanks again truly for the sound advice
Posted By: Wrapids Re: Birding advice - 11/01/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Which is what I still do much of the time. Still have the Golden guide that was the required textbook for my freshman course in field ornithology at the University of Montana in 1978. Of course, it is horribly out of date in some ways, since it still lists "rufous-sided towhee" and "oldsquaw," instead of their modern names. But is is much more compact than Sibley's, and if I have look something up, still know about which page contains that info!

I also learned on the Golden guide, and I find it faster and easier to use than Sibley. And I still like the older names, btw.
Posted By: hanco Re: Birding advice - 11/02/19
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Lead #6's early season, copper plated #5's late.

lead# 71/2, then #6’s
Posted By: Wrapids Re: Birding advice - 11/03/19
Drop 7 1/2s and use 7 for hunting, if you can find it. I don't really care about trap shooting needs.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Birding advice - 11/14/19
Another vote here for Sibley’s, it rides in the vehicle. For something smaller I’d go with the National Geographic Guide.

A good point made about birding by ear, I get to do bird surveys, at least 75% of the birds detected are heard rather than seen. I learned them while birding long before there was an internet so I don’t use an app, but that would be a great way to learn the sounds.

Whenever I have a question I go to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s www.allaboutbirds.org and especially to their subscriber website “Birds of North America Online https://bna.birds.cornell.edu $5/mo
© 24hourcampfire