Home
Posted By: lvmiker Share a hunt with... - 03/02/20
Sheldon and Selous. I received, for Christmas, a copy of The Best of Sheep Hunting. A compilation of stories ranging over a 100 year period, edited by John Batten. As so often happens this led to a list of other writers that I needed to explore the 1st of which was Charles Sheldon, how did I miss him for all these years? I am totally absorbed in The Wilderness of the Upper Yukon. Sheldon's writings are a collection of his journals while hunting from Mexico to Alaska as a member of the U.S. Biological Survey.

I just finished a chapter in which he hunted w/ Selous in the Upper Yukon in Oct. and Nov. of 1904. They shot bears, moose caribou, goats and Dall sheep[Sheldon's primary focus] . They covered a huge amount of virgin country by canoe and did miles daily on foot. A true adventure story beautifully told that describes the abilities and sense of adventure of people that I can only imagine spending time with around a campfire.

I highly recommend it to all w/out reservation, Sheldon's Wilderness of Denali, and Wilderness of the American Southwest await.

mike r
Posted By: Desertranger Re: Share a hunt with... - 03/02/20
I wish I could share a hunt with some of my departed friends who were excellent shots, never complained about, well anything and taught me so much about hunting and life in general.
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Share a hunt with... - 03/02/20
I can’t remember the title but Selous published his own book about the trip which was really good
Posted By: mart Re: Share a hunt with... - 03/02/20
Originally Posted by Desertranger
I wish I could share a hunt with some of my departed friends who were excellent shots, never complained about, well anything and taught me so much about hunting and life in general.

While sharing a hunt with someone like Sheldon, Selous or other notable hunter would be great. I'd just like to have another hunt with my old buddy Jon who passed suddenly two years ago. He was a great hunting partner and friend.
© 24hourcampfire