Home
Posted By: kaboku68 Custom BFR Revolver - 04/02/20
Is this thing workable or are you buying a darwin possible hand grenade?

What are people's thoughts?

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...gineering-exclusive.cfm?gun_id=101405294
Posted By: reivertom Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/03/20
There is such a concept as "too much of a good thing". ....but to each his own.
Posted By: Barryt Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/03/20
Bottom line, ......if you want this for bear protection, ..."can you recover quickly enough for a second shot"?
I've packed an FA in .454 for 30 years and mine has worked, with 3 Magna-Port slots, I can recover, but I've fired at least 100,000 rounds of .44, so what's left of recoil doesn't bother me!
If you want it for "braggin' rights", that's okay.
But like dangerous game rifles, you gotta be able to recover for second and third shots, .........anything else, ....well, file the front sight off and coat it with Vaseline!!!
Posted By: Goosey Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/03/20
Novelty gun. I don't understand how this is even possible:

Keep in mind this revolver produces 12% more power that the top 50 Alaskan loads!!!

[Linked Image from loaddata.com]
[Linked Image from loaddata.com]

Here you can see a guy, probably the guy behind this revolver, shooting similar handcannons in "458 African", "475 Nitro Express" and 50 Alaskan. The first two in quotes because the names are misleading (first is actually deep-seated 458 Win Mag and second is made from 45-90 brass, far shorter than a classic 475 Nitro).

Nearing 3000 ft lbs from the 50 Alaskan.

Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/03/20
Buy it, shoot it, let us know. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: dave284 Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/04/20
I ain't shooting it, I fight with a flinch from time to time anyway. That could probably induce it for life.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/05/20
He shot those pretty well, about as steady as I am, which is fairly shaky. I stop at heavy 45 Colt loads, the Casull and 45-70 pistols are too much for me on any regular basis.
Posted By: Bisley Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/08/20
Originally Posted by Tejano
He shot those pretty well, about as steady as I am, which is fairly shaky. I stop at heavy 45 Colt loads, the Casull and 45-70 pistols are too much for me on any regular basis.

Yep heavy 45 colt is where I call it quits
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/08/20
BFR, is a quality handgun. I've had 4 of them (all handgun cartridges) and they are a quality gun for sure. Very accurate is my experience.
Posted By: Whitworth1 Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/08/20
I have numerous BFRs and have used them on all manner of game including Cape buffalo. They are a high quality handgun. That said, I had an old D-Max, the predecessor of the current long-framed BFR in .50 Alaskan, and it was a bit less than controllable.
Posted By: mart Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/08/20
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
That said, I had an old D-Max, the predecessor of the current long-framed BFR in .50 Alaskan, and it was a bit less than controllable.

Me thinks you have the gift of understatement.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/08/20
I ran out and got a .500 S&W right after they hit the market, "just because." Although a fine piece of machinery and fun (up to a point) to shoot, it is a gun of somewhat limited utility. I don't think I'd get very excited over the prospect of shooting a revolver with more horsepower yet.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/09/20
To each his own, but my brief foray into the world of hand-rifles (to me, these things qualify) left me less than enchanted. I carried a mere scoped 12" Encore .44 for a good bit of one season and found it awkward and ungainly, even in a scabbard holster. The BFR and similar big revolvers don't even give you the option of supporting the front end except with sticks. A Redhawk is about as much as I'd want to tote now, and a 6" Smith better. I'm building a stubby Contender carbine for hunting in tight spots.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/09/20
i own and tried a 6inch 460 S.W. to big to carry,i have a Ruger 3inch 454 casull recoil is nasty, i have a 4 inch Taurus 44 mag that`s ported ,shoots great,has recoil i can handle easy and carries easy, so its my carry pistol of choice in bear country. those bigger cartridge pistols may be fun and kinda neat to shoot but for me i just want easy with less recoil and ammo that i can buy easy that`s why i like the 44mag.
Posted By: Whitworth1 Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/09/20

Originally Posted by Pappy348
To each his own, but my brief foray into the world of hand-rifles (to me, these things qualify) left me less than enchanted. I carried a mere scoped 12" Encore .44 for a good bit of one season and found it awkward and ungainly, even in a scabbard holster. The BFR and similar big revolvers don't even give you the option of supporting the front end except with sticks. A Redhawk is about as much as I'd want to tote now, and a 6" Smith better. I'm building a stubby Contender carbine for hunting in tight spots.

I have three of the long-framed BFRs with 7.5-inch barrels and I have to respectfully disagree. They can be shot well offhand as they balance quite well. I wouldn’t use the long-framed revolvers as dedicated protection pieces, but they can be used for this function. Like any firearm you choose to carry, you have to practice enough to be proficient.
Posted By: jwall Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/10/20
I have numerous BFRs and have used them on all manner of game including Cape buffalo. They are a high quality handgun. That said, I had an old D-Max, the predecessor of the current long-framed BFR in .50 Alaskan,

***and it was a bit less than controllable.***

hahaha, I'd guess so. NOT making fun of ya.

Jerry
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/11/20

I have three of the long-framed BFRs with 7.5-inch barrels and I have to respectfully disagree. They can be shot well offhand as they balance quite well. I wouldn’t use the long-framed revolvers as dedicated protection pieces, but they can be used for this function. Like any firearm you choose to carry, you have to practice enough to be proficient.

No need to be respectful; I don't think I've ever seen a BFR in person, let alone handled one, but having owned and toted not only the Encore, but also a scoped Redhawk and a Super Redhawk, along with some Blackhawks of varying sizes, I'm pretty sure it exceeds my form factor preferences for hunting. Another point is that rounds like .357, .41, .44 Mag, and .45 Colt are plenty for the deer I hunt, so there's no need for anything larger. You clearly like 'em, so enjoy!

I agree the BFR, or really any SA is not ideal for protection, especially against bears. When people talk about carrying something like a Super Blackhawk for bear protection, I always wonder how they plan to draw, cock, and fire while under hundreds of pounds of stinky bear.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/11/20
Be sure to get your name engraved on top of the barrel so they know who you are at the hospital.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/12/20

No need to be respectful; I don't think I've ever seen a BFR in person, let alone handled one, but having owned and toted not only the Encore, but also a scoped Redhawk and a Super Redhawk, along with some Blackhawks of varying sizes, I'm pretty sure it exceeds my form factor preferences for hunting. Another point is that rounds like .357, .41, .44 Mag, and .45 Colt are plenty for the deer I hunt, so there's no need for anything larger. You clearly like 'em, so enjoy!

I agree the BFR, or really any SA is not ideal for protection, especially against bears. When people talk about carrying something like a Super Blackhawk for bear protection, I always wonder how they plan to draw, cock, and fire while under hundreds of pounds of stinky bear.

As Max Prasac said, you have to practice enough to be proficient! Handguns are not easily mastered, and lots of practice, whether dry firing, offhand shooting, practice from rests, or whatever, is required. Doing this is how one plans to draw, cock, and fire, quickly and accurately. If you just carry your handgun around, you are not developing any level of proficiency with it. As far as not being ideal for protection- the big bore calibers, such as the .45's with heavy hardcast bullets, .475, .480 Ruger, and the various .500's, have taken the biggest game on the planet.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/12/20

Single actions are great for defence against bears. I've used them for decades

f
Posted By: Whitworth1 Re: Custom BFR Revolver - 04/12/20

No that’s not what I meant. I was talking about the long-framed BFRs. Single-actions are my preference for protection against animals and I can shoot the heavy kicking SAs faster than I can a DA revolver in a caliber that generates meaningful recoil.
© 24hourcampfire