Home
Posted By: Deans First shot high - 05/15/20
Have a co-worker that purchased a 6.5 PRC from Fierce. He purchased the ammo that was recommended and he is getting the first shot high and the rest group lower. It does not matter if the barrel is clean or fouled. Any ideas what may cause this? All help appreciated.

Deans
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: First shot high - 05/15/20
Scope--or mounts.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: First shot high - 05/15/20
Never had it with a center fire, Always it seems with Remington 541's of several flavors. First shot. I would agree on a center fire, scope or mounts. Perhaps barrel contact with the stock.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: First shot high - 05/15/20
Pressure point in the stock or not properly glass bedded..
Barrel contract is highly unlikely with a Fierce--though any such basic problem is always worth checking, even with a custom/semi-custom rifle. Have had plenty of those :"encounters"....
Posted By: Hastings Re: First shot high - 05/15/20
I believe they have a half minute 3 shot group guarantee.
Posted By: Georat Re: First shot high - 05/15/20
Deans - I had a very similar problem with my Ruger No. 1 .30-06, first shot was always high. It was a bedding issue and the rifle shoots great now that it was corrected.
Ruger No. 1s are well known for having odd effects from the factory forend bedding, and there are several solutions. Their forend bedding, however, does not resemble the Fierce Rifle's free-floating in any way.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: First shot high - 05/15/20

If OTHER shooters are unable to replicate this performance, then it is likely...the shooter.
Posted By: Deans Re: First shot high - 05/15/20
Thanks everyone. I have my coworkers rifle and I'll check the scope and mounts, the action and free floating. Then clean it good and next weekend (provided it don't rain) go shoot it and see what it does.

Deans
Posted By: navlav8r Re: First shot high - 05/16/20
If your friend is using sand bags or any kind of bag with a filler, the first shot may be “settling” the filler and then subsequent shots are shooting to a different point of impact. You might want to try a softer material such as a folded towel on the front bag to hopefully, give a more consistent reaction in the rifle when it’s fired.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: First shot high - 05/16/20
Originally Posted by Deans
Have a co-worker that purchased a 6.5 PRC from Fierce. He purchased the ammo that was recommended and he is getting the first shot high and the rest group lower. It does not matter if the barrel is clean or fouled. Any ideas what may cause this? All help appreciated.

Deans

What does 'first shot' really mean? If the barrel is fouled, might there have been a shot prior to that?
© 24hourcampfire