Home
Posted By: shaman Ideas needed - 05/29/20
OK. I've measured all the possibilities and determined that the longest distance I can shoot at the farm is about 400-450 yards. I've got a new 14" A-500 gong. I've spent my life shooting at targets 100 yards and under. I currently have the gong at 200 yards and I can already tell that this is way too easy with everything that is practical.

I'm now thinking ahead. I know 400 yards is not all that far for folks that are trying. I figure I'll build one of my target frames -- two fence posts with 3 2X4's screwed between. I'll put the gong out there as well.

The next step requires some thought. What's fun at 400 yards?

I'm working on my Ruger American Predator in 223. It's going to have a nice Boyd's AT-One stock.
I've got a M1 Garand that rang the gong at 200 yards with the first shot.
I've got a slew of deer rifles in normal chamberings

30-06 /308 WIN
25-06
8X57
35 Whelen

If I had to pick a rifle to re-work, it'd be the 25-06 Mauser. If I had to pick one off my bucket list for a new rifle, the nearest I can think of is 7mm-08 or 308Win bolt gun.

What does one shoot at 400 yards? This is new ground for me.
Posted By: Ramblin_Razorback Re: Ideas needed - 05/29/20
Your .223 would be my first choice.
1. Low recoil means high volume shooting (more fun per session) is feasible.
2. Lower cost per round for both handloads and factory loads compared to your deer rifles. Before the current pandemic, factory FMJ (plinking) ammo was down around 26 cents per round on sale if bought by the thousand.
3. Can challenge yourself more with wind reading and correction than typical deer rifle rounds like the ones you listed.

Second would be whatever chambering of your options could achieve the least wind drift so on windy days when you're frustrated with how much the .223 bullets are drifting you can more easily hit the steel.

I predict it won't be long before you buy a smaller gong because with a little practice you won't find your current gong challenging at 400 yards except under windy conditions. At that point you could move your current gong to 200 to 300 yards and have fun with a .22 LR.
Posted By: shaman Re: Ideas needed - 05/29/20
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Your .223 would be my first choice.

Second would be whatever chambering of your options could achieve the least wind drift so on windy days when you're frustrated with how much the .223 bullets are drifting you can more easily hit the steel.

Thanks for the quick comeback.

Would 25-06 be a good choice? If so, does anyone have a suggestion for bullets?
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Ideas needed - 05/29/20
400 yards is a chip shot for most everything centerfire. I said most, not all.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Ideas needed - 05/29/20
I have played with a bunch of different rifles at 400+ yards, partly because the local range (where my wife and I are life members) has gongs of various sizes scattered out to 1000 yards. I also shoot prairie dogs every year, with some rifles well beyond 400 yards.

As others have noted, you won't find much challenge in simply hitting a 14" gong at 400 with most centerfires, or even rimfires. Even some surprisingly small centerfire rounds will work consistently on prairie dogs (which generally means a target no more than 2" wide) at 300-350, which is about as far as most hitters can hit more than they miss during typical wind conditions. Have killed PD's out to around 425 with the .22 Hornet, loaded with 40-grain plastic-tips at 3000 fps, and out to 600+ with the .17 Fireball. It's even easier using a fast-twist .223 with heavier, high-BC bullets--and am guessing your RAR Predator has a faster twist.

You might invest in smaller gongs after you get going.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ideas needed - 05/29/20
.223 for certain. The shooting is well within its abilities, it's cheap to shoot (I shoot mostly inexpensive Fiocchi Extrema in mine to save my precious time), and won't need a new barrel in a long, long time. Recoil and report are mild. Save the big 'uns for hunting (with some practice thrown in).
Posted By: NTG Re: Ideas needed - 05/29/20
Any on your list will do. My longest mule deer kill was 465 with a 139btsp out of my 7-08. Now, I don't normally like to do that, especially if the wind is gusty, but the conditions were right that day, and stalking him wasn't an option. Like others have said, any will do. 400 isn't that far. If you really want to challenge yourself try a 22lr at 300+ (there are those that specifically set up a 22lr for "rimfire long range"). Personally I've decided I'm not fun enough to join that crowd.

I'd say put a 7-08 on it. Having that mauser's action length will allow you to do any long .284 bullet without loosing case capacity (assuming it throated right, and is at least a 1/9 twist). Honestly, you could do about the same with a 6.5cm, however, I'm a big fan of the 7-08. My 7-08 is on a long action, FYI.

Keep us posted on your fun adventure.
Posted By: SteveC99 Re: Ideas needed - 05/29/20
What's fun at 400 yards? Anything that will shoot that far, even a 22 LR. That might break the monotony of gong rings up a bit.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Ideas needed - 05/29/20
Get yourself a BP cartridge gun, cast some bullets and learn a thing or two about drift and drop.
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Ideas needed - 05/29/20
C'est bien ça!

[Linked Image from parentingthemodernfamily.com]

Circle the wagons! Indians!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Ideas needed - 05/29/20
Originally Posted by shaman
OK. I've measured all the possibilities and determined that the longest distance I can shoot at the farm is about 400-450 yards. I've got a new 14" A-500 gong. I've spent my life shooting at targets 100 yards and under. I currently have the gong at 200 yards and I can already tell that this is way too easy with everything that is practical.

I'm now thinking ahead. I know 400 yards is not all that far for folks that are trying. I figure I'll build one of my target frames -- two fence posts with 3 2X4's screwed between. I'll put the gong out there as well.

The next step requires some thought. What's fun at 400 yards?

I'm working on my Ruger American Predator in 223. It's going to have a nice Boyd's AT-One stock.
I've got a M1 Garand that rang the gong at 200 yards with the first shot.
I've got a slew of deer rifles in normal chamberings

30-06 /308 WIN
25-06
8X57
35 Whelen

If I had to pick a rifle to re-work, it'd be the 25-06 Mauser. If I had to pick one off my bucket list for a new rifle, the nearest I can think of is 7mm-08 or 308Win bolt gun.

What does one shoot at 400 yards? This is new ground for me.

I know a lot of guys have seen this one, but I made this target to shoot at 400-450 yards:
I built this one in about 2 hours...

This tree has targets ranging in size from 2" to 12" and I'll tell you, if you can hit the 2" target consistently at 400 yards, you are doing pretty damn good. For me a 14" target would be way too big. I got the idea of this shooting tree when I was shooting with my dad in Nevada at a cool shooting range they have. Here's the tree there:
Of course, everyone is going to tell you shooting at 400 yards is easy, until you get them out there and they actually try it. Targets like the 2" diameter plate are what proves you can shoot at that distance.

Another thing you will find out is if you want to make consistent hits at that range, you are going to want to buy something like the 6.5 creedmoor. It will reliably, and consistently, make better hits than your 223 will. Its easier on the shoulder than anything else on your list as well..

Posted By: oldwoody2 Re: Ideas needed - 05/29/20
Use a .22 Rimfire OFFHAND. You will not be soon bored. Unless a considerable number of misses are boring. :):)
Posted By: ipopum Re: Ideas needed - 05/30/20
The 25-05 is a favorite of mine . I would keep it in the stable .

You may want to also try long range pistol .
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Ideas needed - 05/30/20
Gun control at its best.

DF
Posted By: crshelton Re: Ideas needed - 05/30/20
What does one shoot at 400 yards?

Well, I once shot a whitetailed buck at that range with my .308. Dropped in its tracks.
Posted By: crshelton Re: Ideas needed - 05/30/20
What does one shoot at 400 yards?

Well, I once shot a whitetailed buck at that range with my .308. Dropped in its tracks.
Posted By: Reba Re: Ideas needed - 05/30/20
7 BR shooting a 168 MK.

Very accurate with low recoil.
Posted By: super T Re: Ideas needed - 05/30/20
Once hitting the 14" gong at 400 yards becomes routine from a bench rest, get off the bench. If you are a hunter, shooting from typical field positions is good practice.
Posted By: GhettoSportman Re: Ideas needed - 05/30/20
Have your own little egg shoot at 400. That should keep you interested for a while. Pick the smaller calibers in your stable and have some fun burning ammo and learning( elevation seems fairly easy but that dog gone wind can make ya feel foolish)!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Ideas needed - 05/30/20
Originally Posted by GhettoSportman
Have your own little egg shoot at 400. That should keep you interested for a while. Pick the smaller calibers in your stable and have some fun burning ammo and learning( elevation seems fairly easy but that dog gone wind can make ya feel foolish)!

Yeah, elevation is physics, windage is snake oil.

DF
Posted By: ipopum Re: Ideas needed - 05/30/20
Prairie dogs are approx the size of a 1 liter drink bottle.

Something approx. that size can be a challenge out beyond 200 yards. When Varmint Hunter was being published there were lots of stories and pictures of long range dogs.

To make it into the Club all shots had to be witnessed by another member.

There was some good reading to be sure.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Ideas needed - 05/30/20
22 rimfire beer cans full of water low power scope = fun
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Ideas needed - 05/31/20
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by GhettoSportman

Yeah, elevation is physics, windage is snake oil.

DF

and most guy's rifles are not capable of that type of accuracy/precision either. Good luck with trying though.. Video it, so we can see how many times it takes to burst an egg... Maybe we could make bets.?? Actually I think stick already BTDT at 300 yards, and he never did hit the egg.. True chidt right there guys..
Posted By: vinconco Re: Ideas needed - 06/01/20
I like this rifle rated dueling tree. It can use a variety of plate sizes and thickness to calibrate for the particular round.
Different size plates can be used at the same time.
The base is All Terrain so it can be mounted solidly on hillsides or uneven ground. The center post is adjustable for forward angle and side plumb so it can be adjusted for even target rotation.
AR500 center post
Plate sizes 3", 4", 6", 8" and even 10". 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" thick

We like having AR Duels @ around 200 yards. w/ 6" 3/8" plates
We've even had 6.5 Creedmoor duels out to 400 w/ 6" 1/2" plates.

Posted By: ipopum Re: Ideas needed - 06/01/20
Most of the recent cheep guns I have bought are capable of very good accuracy.

A 223 savage non acc, trigger. I have shot many P Dogs at 300 yards, some at over that distance.

Marlin 243 Win. It shoots well enough that hitting steel plates at 200 yards is a ho hum kind of thing.
I have not tried it on P Dogs yet but expect it will work just fine.

Limiting factor for most of us is how well do we shoot. The gun is capable.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Ideas needed - 06/01/20
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
C'est bien ça!

Good Indians for sure.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Ideas needed - 06/01/20
[an=44mc]

22 rimfire beer cans full of water low power scope = fun[/quote]

22 Rimfires and beer cans full of water at 100 yards with open iron sights. That'll separate the talkers from the doers!
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Ideas needed - 06/06/20
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
C'est bien ça!

Which one of those travelers called for tech-support????
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Ideas needed - 06/07/20
Originally Posted by super T
Once hitting the 14" gong at 400 yards becomes routine from a bench rest, get off the bench. If you are a hunter, shooting from typical field positions is good practice.

This^^^ 400 yards may be a chip shot from the prone or a bench but time yourself ranging, dropping to sitting and shooting a 8" gong. Windy days off of sticks sitting or standing will make you wish for a spotter.

mike r
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Ideas needed - 06/07/20
I've got 6" rectangle at 109 yards, 8" round at 150 yards, and a 12" diamond at 370-380 yards. As stated above, once you get dialed in from the bench, the 12' diamond is not so difficult. Until you have a breeze. smile

6" and 8" targets are on JCVibby T-post hangers. 12" diamond is on a piece of log chain bolted around the tree...

As mentioned, move to field positions to up the level of difficulty. Shoot from sitting position off the top of a pack frame, middle of an open area, no back support. Prone. Finally off hand. Fairly proficient with the 8" gong at 150 yards off hand with the .270 and .375 (average 3 for 4 +/-) . Suck on the 12" diamond at 370 yards off hand with the .270 (average MAYBE 1 for 4)... need to practice more...
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Ideas needed - 06/07/20
That is good shooting for mere mortals off hand.

mike r
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Ideas needed - 06/07/20
On a full day of shooting practice, I will take my metal plate out to 750 yard line and drop it.

Then use my other 2 metal based stands that have cardboard stapled between the 1x1’s and drop them between 500 and 300 yards.

Sometimes, I will staple playing cards on the closer boards to shoot. Trying to hit a face of a king, queen, or center on a Ace.

If I’m shoot’n with a pard, we’ll shoot at the same time on separate targets placed at the same yardage, seeing who can shoot the best hand based off the cards we put up.

Old playing cards make fun little targets.

😎
Posted By: vinconco Re: Ideas needed - 06/07/20
These hang easy and react / sound great. Very simple design.
I have this silhouette @ 200 yards
12 inch square @ 250
IPSC AC @ 300 (great for positional shooting.
12 inch square @350
Swinger w/ 4 and 6 inch plates @ 425
24" round, 10 inch round, silhouette and 8 inch round @450 (all hung on one T Post.

Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Ideas needed - 06/07/20
Originally Posted by lvmiker
That is good shooting for mere mortals off hand.

mike r

Meh... If you see how the sight picture jumps and bumps, it is not confidence inspiring. Inside 100 yards, I "might" try an off hand shot at a white tail. Beyond 150 yards, definitely looking for some type of rest or support.
© 24hourcampfire