Home
Posted By: Cascade Roosevelt's 500/450 Double - 03/01/23
Came across an interesting video about his 500/450 double rifle:

Regards, Guy
Posted By: Puddle Re: Roosevelt's 500/450 Double - 03/01/23
Nice find, Guy!
Posted By: cv540 Re: Roosevelt's 500/450 Double - 03/01/23
Neat video, thanks for sharing.

Oh so far we have come. A sitting President writing a letter on White House stationary listing the specifations of a rifle he wanted built.

Trying to imagine Biden trying to list specifations of an "AR14."
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Roosevelt's 500/450 Double - 03/02/23
Great rifle. What a fabulous history and you can actually see it being used by TR.

I have a copy of the H&H order.

My 500/450 3 1/4" is a couple of years younger. Note the TR rifle is not an ejector. It also surprises me they didn't use qd sideplates and was not a 500/465.
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Note the TR rifle is not an ejector. It also surprises me they didn't use qd sideplates and was not a 500/465.

Some elephant hunters did not like the sound of the ejectors ping. They thought the elephants could hear the ping of the ejectors thus pinning down the location of the hunter easily.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Roosevelt's 500/450 Double - 03/04/23
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Note the TR rifle is not an ejector. It also surprises me they didn't use qd sideplates and was not a 500/465.

Some elephant hunters did not like the sound of the ejectors ping. They thought the elephants could hear the ping of the ejectors thus pinning down the location of the hunter easily.

I've read that before, but the sound of the shot has already given away their location
Originally Posted by jwp475

I've read that before, but the sound of the shot has already given away their location

It has gotten their attention, the ping is confirmation

Pondoro Taylor railed against ejectors. He said you fired one shot and you want to go in after the animal with both barrels loaded but when you break the gun open to top it off it clears out both rounds including the loaded one leaving you an empty gun. He says guys have been killed because of this by being charged right at the inopportune time when the gun was empty
Good to have it here in Kentucky, at the Frazier Museum.
I have also paid homage there to the George Washington Flintlock, presented to him out of gratitude by the maker, Mr. Beck.

Sir Jerry, gunner500, has a twin of the Roosevelt DR Big Stick, which he recently used for African sacraments.
Us po'folk can do the same worship with a .458 WinMag.
Amen.
Originally Posted by jwp475

From what I read they also said the shot was so loud the elephant couldn’t tell exactly where it came from, but they could tell where the ping was.
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Roosevelt's 500/450 Double - 03/18/23
Originally Posted by moosemike

Pondoro Taylor railed against ejectors. He said you fired one shot and you want to go in after the animal with both barrels loaded but when you break the gun open to top it off it clears out both rounds including the loaded one leaving you an empty gun. He says guys have been killed because of this by being charged right at the inopportune time when the gun was empty

When you shoot a single round only the fired round ejects. That is why the ejector is split and each side has its individual mechanism.
Great video, thanks for sharing, Guy.
© 24hourcampfire