Came across an interesting video about his 500/450 double rifle:

Regards, Guy

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Nice find, Guy!

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Neat video, thanks for sharing.

Oh so far we have come. A sitting President writing a letter on White House stationary listing the specifations of a rifle he wanted built.

Trying to imagine Biden trying to list specifations of an "AR14."

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great rifle. What a fabulous history and you can actually see it being used by TR.

I have a copy of the H&H order.

My 500/450 3 1/4" is a couple of years younger. Note the TR rifle is not an ejector. It also surprises me they didn't use qd sideplates and was not a 500/465.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Note the TR rifle is not an ejector. It also surprises me they didn't use qd sideplates and was not a 500/465.

Some elephant hunters did not like the sound of the ejectors ping. They thought the elephants could hear the ping of the ejectors thus pinning down the location of the hunter easily.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Note the TR rifle is not an ejector. It also surprises me they didn't use qd sideplates and was not a 500/465.

Some elephant hunters did not like the sound of the ejectors ping. They thought the elephants could hear the ping of the ejectors thus pinning down the location of the hunter easily.

I've read that before, but the sound of the shot has already given away their location

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by jwp475

I've read that before, but the sound of the shot has already given away their location

It has gotten their attention, the ping is confirmation

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Pondoro Taylor railed against ejectors. He said you fired one shot and you want to go in after the animal with both barrels loaded but when you break the gun open to top it off it clears out both rounds including the loaded one leaving you an empty gun. He says guys have been killed because of this by being charged right at the inopportune time when the gun was empty

Last edited by moosemike; 03/05/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good to have it here in Kentucky, at the Frazier Museum.
I have also paid homage there to the George Washington Flintlock, presented to him out of gratitude by the maker, Mr. Beck.

Sir Jerry, gunner500, has a twin of the Roosevelt DR Big Stick, which he recently used for African sacraments.
Us po'folk can do the same worship with a .458 WinMag.
Amen.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

From what I read they also said the shot was so loud the elephant couldn’t tell exactly where it came from, but they could tell where the ping was.

Heal quickly and don't scar.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by moosemike

Pondoro Taylor railed against ejectors. He said you fired one shot and you want to go in after the animal with both barrels loaded but when you break the gun open to top it off it clears out both rounds including the loaded one leaving you an empty gun. He says guys have been killed because of this by being charged right at the inopportune time when the gun was empty

When you shoot a single round only the fired round ejects. That is why the ejector is split and each side has its individual mechanism.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Great video, thanks for sharing, Guy.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (907brass, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 2ndwind, 673, 16 invisible), 1,700 guests, and 996 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,374
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.