Home
Posted By: rost495 Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/02/18
New to me, thanks to a good 24 hour member.

Don't need or want top line glass as in Swarovski type. I won't be shooting in dull light, this is a brown bear only rifle for me. BUT I do want a dependable scope. Which might bring me right back to top line. I just have not dealt with anything much larger than 338/378

I want this to be done correctly, so do I drill out and tap the reciever for larger screws?( I did read the ring thread FWIW), and use what bases? I have used warne, they are heavy and solid bases.

There will be a distinct possibility of salt issues.

Having access to the irons isn't a bad thing. Not keen on levers, but would consider detach with a torx etc...

AL mounts like Talley are fine with me to.

Just need to know if screws anywhere need to be upgraded.

And if something along the lines of a fixed or low power super sniper would be a decent match or look elsewhere. I know the super sniper has taken a beating on my 50 bmg and is still trucking right along.

Thanks for any input!

Jeff
Posted By: albertan Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/03/18
A Leupold 2.5 ultra-lightweight. 6 ounces and 5 inches of eye relief. Weaver bases and mounts. The original quick detachable mounts. Ugly,but effective. Much lighter than anything else that would fit the bill. Those Zastava (798) can be awkward to mount a scope on. You might need extension rings to make things work. I would have the action glass bedded, with a couple of cross bolts installed for stock splitting prevention. A 458 can split a stock in short order.

Having hunted brown bear in Russia in the Spring. Scope covers and electrical tape over the muzzle to keep the snow out are mandatory in my opinion. I got my bear coming at me at 15-20 feet. A poll of the dozen hunters I met up with while there had the longest shot at (a lasered) 91 yards. I have to laugh at the laser. The fellow who performed this miracle shot was perhaps the most physically lazy hunter I have ever met. Walking 91 paces would have been a hike for the lad. That bear was shot off the snow mobile: and not one inch further.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/03/18
Had a 2 1/2 x Leupold on my 458 MX now for 35 years and wouldn't change it for anything

In fact I bought a couple spares as Leupold still makes them, even in this Tactical age. But for how long, no one knows !
Posted By: rost495 Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/04/18
sorry, L is so much junk these days I just don't want to risk that.

BUT I can look for an old 2.5 for sure.

Thanks for that thought!

The 798 has cross bolts. It will get bedded here when I get time, in steel bed.

I've no issues with all weaver. Just didn't know if it was enough.
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/04/18
I agree with you on lack of faith in the newer Leupolds. How about one of the older steel tube Burris Fullfield fixed powers?
Posted By: memtb Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/04/18
The 1 3/4 - 6 Leupold was a very good scope....but appears ( unless I overlooked it) no longer made. If I were looking....I’d look for a used one. Of course....finding one for sale may be a challenge!
Posted By: ringworm Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/04/18
1.5-5 w/ #4
Posted By: memtb Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/04/18
Originally Posted by ringworm
1.5-5 w/ #4

I had one of those, good scope....just a little short of image quality at twilight!
Posted By: rost495 Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/04/18
Originally Posted by sambo3006
I agree with you on lack of faith in the newer Leupolds. How about one of the older steel tube Burris Fullfield fixed powers?

Looking there. Did not find what I thought I might.

Looked into the light Leupold as much as I don't want to.

Will keep looking.

Lighter weight should be less subject to recoil issues IIRC. UP to a point. Might be a reason not to look for a super sniper.

Damn confusing.
Posted By: albertan Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/05/18
The variable scopes that are being mentioned do not have the eye relief of the fixed 2.5 power ultra-lightweight. Being average variables, they do not have the ability to withstand the recoil of full power 458 Winchester magnum loads like a fixed power scope either. There is a big jump in recoil when going from a .375 H&H to a 458 Winchester magnum. This why I mentioned the fixed power 2.5 ultra-lightweight.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/05/18
Super sniper has 5 inches eye relief. Not bad.

I"m going back to look at the leupold and just buy it I guess. Much as I hate to waste money I guess its worth a try.
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/05/18
If your meaning the FX-II 2.5x20 which reticle are you thinking about going with? I've got an M8 2.5 w/hvy plex. Now it looks like it's not being offered on the FX-II 2.5. Only the std and wide duplex. Knew I should have picked another one up in the hvy plex.
Posted By: yukonphil Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/06/18
i had a fixed 2.5 on mine and now it wears a nikon monarch 1-4x20 in german 4 reticle. days and night for clarity.

i put weaver steel bases and leupold QRW rings on it.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/06/18
Originally Posted by yukonphil
i had a fixed 2.5 on mine and now it wears a nikon monarch 1-4x20 in german 4 reticle. days and night for clarity.

i put weaver steel bases and leupold QRW rings on it.

I also like to see what I’m aiming at.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/06/18
Bears are big. They are generally close 2.5 isn't an issue. Quality of L is these days evidently.

Nikon. How many rounds has it had through it?

What reticle? Doesn't much matter to me really. I'm not overly picky with a rifle like this.
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/06/18
Not understanding the clarity issue/problem. My 2.5 is an M8 I bought new in the box. Are yours newer models? This year I killed my first head of big game with a muzzleloader off hand at no more than a couple yards either side of 100yds. First head of big game taken with it was when it was on my M98 9.3x62. It was snowing I was sitting and stepped the shot off at about 175yds. As far as low light low performance goes I was pretty impressed by it. I just turned 70yrs old. Probably killed the one with my 9.3 when I was just past 60. If the FX-II's aren't as good as the M8's I may have to go looking.

Also not offering the hvy plex in this scope kind of irks me. I've got a new FX-II 4x I was going to have one installed in but not for what I understand may be $200?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/06/18
Originally Posted by rost495
Bears are big. They are generally close 2.5 isn't an issue. Quality of L is these days evidently.

What reticle? Doesn't much matter to me really. I'm not overly picky with a rifle like this.

And leupold optics suck

i will say around 200 to 300 shots with rl7 from 350 to 500 grains.

the reticle is the german 4.
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Not understanding the clarity issue/problem. My 2.5 is an M8 I bought new in the box. Are yours newer models? This year I killed my first head of big game with a muzzleloader off hand at no more than a couple yards either side of 100yds. First head of big game taken with it was when it was on my M98 9.3x62. It was snowing I was sitting and stepped the shot off at about 175yds. As far as low light low performance goes I was pretty impressed by it. I just turned 70yrs old. Probably killed the one with my 9.3 when I was just past 60. If the FX-II's aren't as good as the M8's I may have to go looking.

Also not offering the hvy plex in this scope kind of irks me. I've got a new FX-II 4x I was going to have one installed in but not for what I understand may be $200?

i did a side by side test in my shooting condition and the leupold what not as clear as the nikon. both were brand new and sold the leupold. that scope was handy but if my eyes love better a scope there is nothing i can do.

i can shoot in forest or with snowy day and this is where the nikon was not as good for my eyes.

but my eyes may have issues has they love bushnell elites rifle scopes ...
Posted By: rost495 Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/06/18
You mean in the forest and snow the L was not as good?
Posted By: yukonphil Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/07/18
You mean in the forest and snow the L was not as good?

correct,

i d like to pm you but i cant send you as you reached your limit ...
Posted By: rost495 Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/07/18
LOL, I'll clear it out. Had no clue.
Posted By: EdM Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/09/18
Originally Posted by jwp475

And leupold optics suck

Just ask Phil...
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/09/18
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by jwp475

And leupold optics suck

Just ask Phil...

I’ve used enough to form my own opinion.
Posted By: lrich Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/10/18
rost495,

I have the same rifle but in 375. Rebarreled it to a 375 WBY.

I put a Nikon Monarch 3 - 2x8 on it. The reticle is a Plex type. Used Warne bases and rings,

I am very satisfied with the scope.

You might also consider the Monarch 3 - 1 x 4. It has the German # 4 reticle. I had one on a 404 Jeffery and also liked it.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Scope my Rem 798/458 Win - 02/13/18

Micheal, shoots a lot of big bores both in the hunting fields and bullet testing and load development and this is what he has to say about leupolds.

michael458
Keymaster
Brian Gallup wrote:
Nikon Monarch 1X4 Dangerous Game scope
Yep…… That would be correct………. :yes: :yes: :yes:

I got damn sick and tired of sending Leupolds back for repairs. Normal circumstances I would have 3-4 Leupolds in for repair, and 3-4 busted on the bench waiting return of the ones already in for repair. ENOUGH…….. I tried the Weaver, Trijicon, Nikon, and anything else that was the size and weight of the Leupold VX1.5X5. Trijicon was great, still have that one, but they got really expensive. Weaver come up just a tad short on field of view at close range. All and all, the Nikon won out big time, incredible close range field of view, great clarity, good size, not big/bulky. And best of all I have never busted one, after 1000s of rounds of big bore, not one single failure! I have 30+ Nikons now, about 15 of the 1X4s……….

Now the shotgun scope is great too, I think its 1X5 or 2X5, something like that, and its just as good. I found myself liking the 2X7 shotgun scope for various things like 300 BLKs and such……. Nikons Rule! And can’t beat the price………..

I have seen them all bust all to [bleep] here, Leupold, Swarvarski, Zeiss, and everything else…….. But not one single Nikon………… I busted a brand new just out the box Leupold VX31.5X5 one day on a 50 B&M, THREE ROUNDS is all it took to explode it……. Repeat–3 rounds!

I got rid of all the Leupolds and replaced them with Nikons.. No more down time here
© 24hourcampfire