Home
I picked up a can of El Pato Green Enchilada Sauce and made some cheese enchiladas New Mexico style (not rolled). They came out great, though a a bit spicy.

Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray to ease clean up and serving. Spoon some sauce in the bottom, Place a layer of tortillas. (A round dish works best or cut the tortillas in half and arrange in a rectangular dish to cover the surface.) Add a generous layer of grated cheese and chopped onions. Black olives are an option as are diced chiles. Spoon more sauce over the cheese, Place another layer of tortillas, add cheese and any optional items and then repeat until the casserole dish is full,. Top with sauce and grated cheese. Cook covered for 45 minutes to an hour. Cook uncovered until the top is as browned as you like, Serve with rice and beans as desired.

You can add cooked ground beef, diced chicken or pork to each layer if you like. You can also do the same process with red enchilada sauce if you prefer. I usually use cheddar or Mexican blend shredded cheese but jack, colby, pepper jack, etc all work well.

Add - cooking temp is 350 degrees. Sorry about that!

Oven cooked ? What temp ?
Tag
Sounds good!
I could eat food like that every day. Sounds like a cheese enchilada casserole. Sounds great. That could easily be tweaked to suit one’s particular likes.
Yep - that's a basic recipe we do monthly at minimum at my house. We call it enchilada stack. Can do red, green or even Christmas.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Thanks for the recipe. I bought a can of the green stuff last week and was wondering what to make with it. NM flat style does seem easy.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]Oh hell yeah...!
Got some in the oven right now, with ground beef. Fried the tortillas lightly, and used the red stuff instead of green. Wife has some plans for the green stuff. I'm an enchilada noob.
i've got enchiladas on the list to do...soon as the cooler weather hits and i can use the oven comfortably
We did some Verde enchiladas the other night. Ground game meat, some refried and black beans, a bunch of chopped Hatch Chile and some green enchilada sauce. Quick throw together and we ate two pans of them.

for me the challenge is to find a decent homemade red enchilada sauce. I found a 'ranchero' sauce on Youtube that looks pretty good, we'll see
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Got some in the oven right now, with ground beef. Fried the tortillas lightly, and used the red stuff instead of green. Wife has some plans for the green stuff. I'm an enchilada noob.

It was a big hit for supper last night. I was a little skimpy with the sauce, as I was afraid of it being soggy but it was still really good. Will definitely be doing more variations.

looks delectable
Made it tonight with carnitas and some onion. Top and bottom flour torts, middle corn. Served with sour cream on the side. Excellent !
Originally Posted by Craigster
Made it tonight with carnitas and some onion. Top and bottom flour torts, middle corn. Served with sour cream on the side. Excellent !

Sonofabitch..........that sounds good.
It was !
I've been making enchilada casserole for years by taking a stack of about 20 or so tortillas (corn) and slicing them up into about 1" pieces and doing the same things as noted above making layers in a dish with cheese ( whatever favorite blend), Hatch's green or red enchilada sauce, +/- meat of choice, and condiments of choice, topped with more cheese and sauce. Bake at 350 F for about 30 min. Quickly disappears around here.
Well! We tried it tonight, was pretty good! Not exactly weight watchers but good.
© 24hourcampfire